Jerry Rice to the Broncos?

Guest BengalsOwn

Guest BengalsOwn
(May 18, 2005) -- Jerry Rice and the Denver Broncos, each with a need for the other, are exploring the idea of uniting this season.

Rice and Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, who worked together for three years in San Francisco, were scheduled to talk at some point in the past 24 hours about the possibility of working together again this season. Shanahan also conducted preliminary talks this weekend with Rice's agent, Jim Steiner. Now the question becomes: Can they work out a deal?

SOME THINGS TO WORK OUT
It sounds like both sides want to make sure this is the right match before moving forward. The 42-year-old Rice wants to be assured he will have a role in the Broncos offense, and the Broncos want to make sure Rice will be happy playing whatever role he does, even if it is limited. Rice is willing to concede he will not start this season, but he would like to play. Denver would not expect him to start, but with as many four- and five-receiver sets as the Broncos use, Rice might be able to get extensive time. Rice already has turned down one offer from another team, but now he will have a chance to talk seriously with another.

PAST INTEREST
Interestingly, the Broncos weren't interested in Rice when he was available last season, but that was for a couple or reasons. It's highly unlikely the Raiders would have traded Rice in their division, to a rival no less. But just as important, the Broncos felt Rice would want to be a starter, and they were set with their starters already. So there was no interest last season. But there is interest this offseason.

HOW WOULD RICE FIT IN IN DENVER
It would be an ideal landing spot for him for the leadership he could provide. That's one reason the Broncos have an interest in signing Rice. Denver has veteran Rod Smith and up-and-coming receivers Ashley Lelie and Darius Watts.

The Broncos figure Rice would be a great example for Lelie and Watts, not to mention valuable insurance in case Smith gets hurt. Plus, don't forget that Rice did gain 14.3 yards per catch last season, his highest average since 1995. So it's not like he can't run anymore.

HELP WANTED
Last week, Steiner sent out a fax to all 32 NFL teams, informing them that "The GOAT -- Greatest of All Time" still was available. This is unusual for a future Hall of Famer to do. But it was not the memo that helped sway Shanahan. He already knew Rice was available. When Denver failed to come away with a wide receiver in the draft, it made sense to look at a veteran he already knew. Rice would like to play this season, and to do it for a coach he already knows, in a system he already knows, makes some sense.

RICE'S HISTORY IN DENVER
It would be ironic if Rice wound up in Denver. Rice played his final game as a San Francisco 49er in Denver in December 2000. At the end of the game, as Rice was walking off the field, Broncos fans were chanting, "Jerry, Jerry," and they could be chanting it again if he signs.

AND HOW ABOUT DENVER'S OFFSEASON
Should Denver land Rice, it would have as many storylines as any team at this summer's training camp. There would be the story of Rice trying to get one more season out of his magical body. There would be the story of running back Maurice Clarett in his rookie year (and don't you think Rice would take some of the spotlight off Clarett?). There would be the story of the running backs Clarett will be competing against. And there will be the story of all those defensive linemen imported from Cleveland.

Camp will start July 28. Get the cameras and notebooks ready.

Adam Schefter's commentaries can be seen on Tuesday night's NFL Total Access show on NFL Network. Schefter's around-the-league information reports air Mondays and Fridays.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='May 18 2005, 10:01 PM'](May 18, 2005) -- Jerry Rice and the Denver Broncos, each with a need for the other, are exploring the idea of uniting this season.
Rice and Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, who worked together for three years in San Francisco, were scheduled to talk at some point in the past 24 hours about the possibility of working together again this season. Shanahan also conducted preliminary talks this weekend with Rice's agent, Jim Steiner. Now the question becomes: Can they work out a deal?

SOME THINGS TO WORK OUT
It sounds like both sides want to make sure this is the right match before moving forward. The 42-year-old Rice wants to be assured he will have a role in the Broncos offense, and the Broncos want to make sure Rice will be happy playing whatever role he does, even if it is limited. Rice is willing to concede he will not start this season, but he would like to play. Denver would not expect him to start, but with as many four- and five-receiver sets as the Broncos use, Rice might be able to get extensive time. Rice already has turned down one offer from another team, but now he will have a chance to talk seriously with another.

PAST INTEREST
Interestingly, the Broncos weren't interested in Rice when he was available last season, but that was for a couple or reasons. It's highly unlikely the Raiders would have traded Rice in their division, to a rival no less. But just as important, the Broncos felt Rice would want to be a starter, and they were set with their starters already. So there was no interest last season. But there is interest this offseason.

HOW WOULD RICE FIT IN IN DENVER
It would be an ideal landing spot for him for the leadership he could provide. That's one reason the Broncos have an interest in signing Rice. Denver has veteran Rod Smith and up-and-coming receivers Ashley Lelie and Darius Watts.

The Broncos figure Rice would be a great example for Lelie and Watts, not to mention valuable insurance in case Smith gets hurt. Plus, don't forget that Rice did gain 14.3 yards per catch last season, his highest average since 1995. So it's not like he can't run anymore.

HELP WANTED
Last week, Steiner sent out a fax to all 32 NFL teams, informing them that "The GOAT -- Greatest of All Time" still was available. This is unusual for a future Hall of Famer to do. But it was not the memo that helped sway Shanahan. He already knew Rice was available. When Denver failed to come away with a wide receiver in the draft, it made sense to look at a veteran he already knew. Rice would like to play this season, and to do it for a coach he already knows, in a system he already knows, makes some sense.

RICE'S HISTORY IN DENVER
It would be ironic if Rice wound up in Denver. Rice played his final game as a San Francisco 49er in Denver in December 2000. At the end of the game, as Rice was walking off the field, Broncos fans were chanting, "Jerry, Jerry," and they could be chanting it again if he signs.

AND HOW ABOUT DENVER'S OFFSEASON
Should Denver land Rice, it would have as many storylines as any team at this summer's training camp. There would be the story of Rice trying to get one more season out of his magical body. There would be the story of running back Maurice Clarett in his rookie year (and don't you think Rice would take some of the spotlight off Clarett?). There would be the story of the running backs Clarett will be competing against. And there will be the story of all those defensive linemen imported from Cleveland.

Camp will start July 28. Get the cameras and notebooks ready.

Adam Schefter's commentaries can be seen on Tuesday night's NFL Total Access show on NFL Network. Schefter's around-the-league information reports air Mondays and Fridays.
[right][post="94011"][/post][/right][/quote]

All they need now is Kevin Hardy and sportsline.com will have them ranked 3rd or 4th in no time flat... :crazy:

Well the deal is final now.

Rice to compete for spot as Denver's No. 4 wideout
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

The legendary career of Jerry Rice, certainly the greatest wide receiver of all-time and a man some feel is the best player in history, apparently will continue for one more season.

Rice on Wednesday agreed to a one-year contract with the Denver Broncos, where he is expected to vie for a spot as the team's No. 4 wideout. The financial details of the deal were not immediately available but it is believed that Rice will play at or near the NFL minimum base salary for a player of his tenure.

The decision to prolong his career came after Rice spent much of Tuesday deliberating the merits of joining his third different team in two years.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said last week that, when he made his sales pitch to Rice by phone, he made no guarantees about a roster spot. The inference is that Rice will have to earn a niche as a backup receiver. The Denver starters are Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie, with second-year veteran Darius Watts as the No. 3 wideout.

"I told Jerry that I don't know if he's lost a step or two steps, but you're going to come here for one reason and that's to compete with the other guys," Shanahan said. "And if you're one of our top five guys at the end of camp, then you're going to be on our football team. If you're not, I said I'd have one of the toughest jobs in the world."

Steiner said Rice knows he has to earn a roster spot.

"He knows that at this point in his career he can't fight the politics of age," he said.

"What motivates him is, he loves the game, loves being around the guys. He has a passion for playing football, it's what he does and it's who he is," Steiner said. "The more people say he shouldn't do it, that becomes a personal challenge."

Over the 10 seasons in which Shanahan has been head coach, the No. 4 wide receivers in Denver have averaged just 6.6 catches. The third wide receiver spot, a longtime problem area for the Broncos, has averaged only 19.2 catches in that stretch.

"Mike is a coach who will manage him [Rice] better than anyone else in the league. Mike views him better than anyone else would. It all just works," said Rice's agent, Jim Steiner.

Rice, 42, holds every significant league receiving record. He has 1,549 receptions for 22,895 yards and 197 touchdowns. He posted 100 or more catches in four seasons and had 1,000 or more yards 14 times. Splitting time in 2004 between the Oakland Raiders and Seattle Seahawks, Rice had 30 catches for 429 yards and three touchdowns.

Earlier this offseason, Rice approached the San Francisco 49ers about returning to the franchise with which he began his career in 1985, but first-year head coach Mike Nolan respectively rebuffed those overtures. Last week, agent Jim Steiner faxed all 32 teams, apprising them of Rice's desire to play one more season.

Sources said Rice turned down a contract offer from the Tampa Bay Bucs before the Broncos demonstrated interest in signing him.

the broncos are losing their minds....first clarett now rice? rice is the greatest ever no doubt but he cant do much these days except teach the younger recievers so for that hes good but i dont believe he contribute too much out on the field

[quote name='Bengal_Freak' date='May 25 2005, 08:39 PM']the broncos are losing their minds....first clarett now rice? rice is the greatest ever no doubt but he cant do much these days except teach the younger recievers so for that hes good but i dont believe he contribute too much out on the field
[right][post="96309"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

At this point in his career I think he is just a waste of a roster spot. I would love to have the guy as a recievers coach, but he doesn't have much left in the tank. It is sad sometimes to see the greatest reciever ever try to hang on, but hey if he wants to play, and there is a team that will let him, who can blame the guy. He has certainly earned it.

Guest Master Shake
Obviously he has some incriminating photos of Shanahan from their San Francisco juice bar-hopping days...otherwise stupid, stupid signing.

Guest BengalsOwn
Jerry Rice is worthless in the NFL now. He won't even be a good coach, because he is a selfish player, and because he is to good to be a coach. TJ Houshmandzadeh would be a better WR coach than Jerry Rice, just because TJ has had to be taught a lot more than Rice did.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='May 25 2005, 10:22 PM']Jerry Rice is worthless in the NFL now. He won't even be a good coach, because he is a selfish player, and because he is to good to be a coach. TJ Houshmandzadeh would be a better WR coach than Jerry Rice, just because TJ has had to be taught a lot more than Rice did.
[right][post="96368"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

sounds like a plan, get tj and that shithead kitna off the god damn field....

I don't know guys...Rice can be effective, I think you all are writing him off too soon....not that I really care, since he's going to be a Bronco, but...
...we'll see where Jerry ends up...I think he should have retired 2 years ago, but what are you going to tell the best ever?
IMHO, I say...GO JERRY! Prove everyone wrong until you play the Bengals!

Guest BlackJesus
[img]http://www.greysquirrel.net/pics/mshan.jpg[/img]

[i]"I have just the idea to save my job, I'll get the 2002 Browns Defense and the 49ers 1994 Recieving Corp" [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img] [/i]

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='Bunghole' date='May 26 2005, 12:09 AM']I don't know guys...Rice can be effective, I think you all are writing him off too soon....not that I really care, since he's going to be a Bronco, but...
...we'll see where Jerry ends up...I think he should have retired 2 years ago, but what are you going to tell the best ever?
IMHO, I say...GO JERRY!  Prove everyone wrong until you play the Bengals!
[right][post="96391"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

No way...the guy's washed up. By the end of last season, Seattle's receivers were ridiculed across the league and by every commentator for their inability to catch the ball. But they STILL didn't try to get Rice the ball. That should say something about Jerry's ability to get open at this stage.
This seems like either a publicity stunt, some sort of favor Shanahan feels he owes to Rice, or a desperate bid to find a mentor to get Ashley Lelie's head screwed on straight.

Guest CTBengalsFan
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='May 25 2005, 11:25 PM'][img]http://www.greysquirrel.net/pics/mshan.jpg[/img]

[i]"I have just the idea to save my job, I'll get the 2002 Browns Defense and the 49ers 1994 Recieving Corp"  [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img] [/i]
[right][post="96408"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

nice smile there Shanny [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='May 18 2005, 11:01 PM']
(May 18, 2005) --
[b]HOW WOULD RICE FIT IN IN DENVER
It would be an ideal landing spot for him for the leadership he could provide. That's one reason the Broncos have an interest in signing Rice.[/b] Denver has veteran Rod Smith and up-and-coming receivers Ashley Lelie and Darius Watts.[QUOTE]

that sums it up right there!

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='May 25 2005, 10:22 PM']Jerry Rice is worthless in the NFL now. He won't even be a good coach, because he is a selfish player, and because he is to good to be a coach. TJ Houshmandzadeh would be a better WR coach than Jerry Rice, just because TJ has had to be taught a lot more than Rice did.
[right][post="96368"][/post][/right][/quote]

How could you even make your fingers type such nonsense, have not been watching the NFL for the past 20 years? How do you know Rice is selfish? Rice is the best wr ever, some say the best football ever. To say TJ would be better than Rice at anything is just riduculous, Rice has forgotten more about being wr than TJ will probably ever learn. Why do say TJ has been taught more than Rice, how do you think Rice became the G.O.A.T.? To compare Rice to TJ is :crazy: , honestly your letting your blind love for T.J. go to your brain.

For all those who say Rice is finished, I beg to differ. He was effective in Seattle considering the limited playing time he got, Holmgren didn't use him enough, but Shanahan will. Can't say I've been a Shanahan fan lately, especially after the MNF game and the way he responded, but this move gets the thumbs up for me. Only time will tell how good Rice will be this year.

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Jun 8 2005, 02:38 PM']How could you even make your fingers type such nonsense, have not been watching the NFL for the past 20 years? How do you know Rice is selfish? Rice is the best wr ever, some say the best football ever.  To say TJ would be better than Rice at anything is just riduculous, Rice has forgotten more about being wr than TJ will probably ever learn.  Why do say TJ has been taught more than Rice, how do you think Rice became the G.O.A.T.?  To compare Rice to TJ is  :crazy: ,  honestly your letting your blind love for T.J. go to your brain. 

For all those who say Rice is finished, I beg to differ.  He was effective in Seattle considering the limited playing time he got, Holmgren didn't use him enough, but Shanahan will.  Can't say I've been a Shanahan fan lately, especially after the MNF game and the way he responded, but this move gets the thumbs up for me.  Only time will tell how good Rice will be this year.
[right][post="100796"][/post][/right][/quote]

Have you been watching? Jerry Rice has always been a selfish player.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='Jun 8 2005, 06:12 PM']Have you been watching? Jerry Rice has always been a selfish player.
[right][post="100900"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Hey man I know Rice had game against us in the SuperBowl in 89', but if your the best you have to be a litte selfish about the thing you do best...Rice is hands down the best wr ever, his records are damn near unattainable, check the stats..[url="http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1291"]Jerry's Stats[/url]

Did you know he's only lost 2 fumbles his whole career, all those receptions and he only lost 2 fumbles, Jerry Rice haters need to respect that man skills, he works harder than most players half his age and even if he's lost a step or two, he was so far ahead he's still better than most 3rd and 4th receivers in the NFL..If need be Jerry can get it done on the football field, you would be foolish to think not, imo...In 2003 he had over 800 catches and 60 receptions...only 3 wr's on our team can say they have done that and 2 have only had over 800 yards once, while Jerry has done it 20 out of 22 years.

Guest BengalsOwn
I never said Jerry Rice wasn't a good player. I did say that he is so naturally talented, and it isn't possible to teach natural ability. Guys like Jon Kitna and TJ Houshmandzadeh, who have had to work their asses off just to get a roster spot, would be better teachers of the game, than say Peyton Manning or Jerry Rice.

And Jerry Rice is all about Jerry Rice. Period.

That's just my opinion though.

Archived