I'm bored, here's a 4 round mock

Going a little off James Walker's rebuilding blog entry as the blueprint for this mock. So in that scenario the Bengals lure Michael Bush to take Benson's spot, re-sign Joseph, let Chad and TO walk, but for my purposes I'm going to say they keep Carson.
Also we'll say they are picking No. 3 since that is the spot they are in at this time behind Carolina and Detroit.
No comp picks in this draft scenario.

Round 1 - Carolina hopefully will not pick a QB and fall in love with one of the DT's or DE's. Carolina could easily take a QB and screw up my whole scenario but if that happens hopefully somebody likes Newton enough to trade up. Detroit need CB and DE and for my mock to work out they need to take a or not a CB at No. 2. Assuming there is a QB on the board at No. 3 that the Cardinals want, they jump ahead of Buffalo to take him, trading with the Bengals. The Bengals get the Cards' first and third round picks.

Round 1 (pick 5) — Patrick Peterson, DB, LSU - at 6-1, 222 lbs he sounds like a great switch to safety. Not sure if he'll make it past Detroit which does need a corner, or if he actually would be a good safety but he has that "special" tag and if he's there at pick 5 would bolster this D from a position of very big need.

Round 2 (pick 34) — Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisc - he's 6-foot-7, 327 pounds, Outland trophy winner as nation's top interior linemen and a beast in the running game - would be a right tackle or a guard for us. WalterFootball has him going at the end of the first to the Steelers which very well could happen but players have slidden much farther so I don't think it's too much of a reach to have him going here

Round 3 (pick 68) — Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami — 6-foot-3, 205 lbs, 66 rec., 1,085 yds, 12 TDS - not sure about his speed but he has great hands and runs crisp routes. WalterFootball has him going at pick 81 which may be way too late but it would be cool if he was still here.

Round 3 (pick 69) — Steven Friday OLB/DE, Virginia Tech — 6-foot-4, listed at 250 lbs - he was 205 when he came out of HS so if he really has put on that much weight he must be a rock by now. Has 15 TFL, two forced fumbles and 8.5 sacks this year. WalterFootball has him going at No. 70.

Round 4 — Terrence Toliver, WR, LSU — 6-foot-5, 204 pounds - a little raw on his routes but has moves after the catch
OR
Round 4 — Tandon Doss, WR, Indiana — 6-foot-4, 205 pounds - don't know anything about him but here's his scouting report from bleacherreport (I know it's not the best site but I'm lazy) : Doss isn’t a burner, but he can still get down field and make a play. He has some of the best hands in the NCAA, and he runs crisp routes. His best catches often come in the middle of the field in traffic.

Both those guys got 3rd round grades on bleacherreport but they have 14 WR graded into the top 3 rounds. That many could go but more likely some of those guys will slip while one or two jump up so I guess it's possible either of those guys will be there when we pick.

So there it is, probably will be way off by the time everything gets sorted out but based on the draft grades right now and a little luck I think this could be a realistic scenario that would help the team a lot while maximizing BPA and drafting for need.

Not going to lie, taking a corner and converting him to safety with a top 5 pick would cause a remote control toss on draft day. I don't see any way we trade down from a top 3 pick. Brown just never trades down even though every year fans dream about it. Yes I know he traded down a few spots in 2004 and grabbed the immortal Chris Perry.

Safety is not the reason we only have 2 wins. Offensive line and defensive line are the main reasons, other than coaching. There is some serious talent on the defensive line at the top of the draft with Bowers, Fairley, Quinn.

[quote name='nkywestside' timestamp='1292079294' post='949559']
Well if we were to get Hankerson in round 3 consider ourselves very lucky.
He may be drafted in the 1st round. The stuff that I have read from NFL scouts
have him going mid to late 1st round.
[/quote]
I'd be shocked if he went in round 1. WR class is going to be deep with all the juniors coming out and Hankerson is just not that special. He's more of a round 2 or 3 guy.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1292079438' post='949560']
I'd be shocked if he went in round 1. WR class is going to be deep with all the juniors coming out and Hankerson is just not that special. He's more of a round 2 or 3 guy.
[/quote]

[url="http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2011/players/10128.html"]http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2011/players/10128.html[/url]

War rooms take on him. He may fall to round 2 but I highly doubt he's
falling any furthur than the 50th pick.

I'd shit my pants if we got Paterson, Carimi, Hankerson and Tolliver all in one draft.

Only thing I see is I don't see the need for a 3rd WR.

What I'd really like is to get Steve Breaston from Arizona. With Fitz entrenched as the #1 and Doucet and Stephen Williamson waiting in the wings, I don't think he'll be a priority for them as they will be focused on finding a QB.

IMO he'd be a very solid #2 and your PR/KR.

That frees up Tolliver's spot, although I really like Tolliver and think he's underrated.

Hankerson/Breaston/Shipley/Gresham would be a pretty sweet young corp.

[quote name='bengalsfan850' timestamp='1292641439' post='951588']
we've got alot more needs than a safety who's a converted corner
[/quote]

not if it works. A stud safety would change this defense. Now is it gamble to have a top 5 pick switch positions? Certainly, but there's certainly room for a safety on this team.

Archived