Memory Question

it hasn't helped the .mp4 Game Rewind files play much faster though. Why is that? Because of the size of the videos?

I had much more success when Go made smaller files (not that you're doing anything wrong Go, thanks!)

EDIT: yea its the size of the files. I just played the smallest one I had (a third of the size of the one I tried) and its works flawlessly.

• 5 weeks later...
so another random question for a different computer.

Well two actually.

1) Is there any harm putting a 256MB card and a 1GB card together as long as they are both compatible with the computer?

2) How do I find out if a memory card is compatible? Ie., I'd like to take the two cards I took out of this machine (a compaq running vista) and put them in a different machine (a dell running XP) if possible. I would assume no, but don't want to buy new memory for computer #2 if I don't have to.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1296878232' post='968356']
so another random question for a different computer.

Well two actually.

1) Is there any harm putting a 256MB card and a 1GB card together as long as they are both compatible with the computer?

2) How do I find out if a memory card is compatible? Ie., I'd like to take the two cards I took out of this machine (a compaq running vista) and put them in a different machine (a dell running XP) if possible. I would assume no, but don't want to buy new memory for computer #2 if I don't have to.
[/quote]

Generally you want to make sure that the memory is the same speed and type (PC2400\5700, etc). It used to be that mismatched sets = BSOD, but not so much anymore. If they're compatible (meaning they're the same speed\type) go for it. You'll find out soon enough whether or not it will work.

To find out if it's compatible, go to crucial.com and use their memory utility as it will tell you exactly what type of memory the MOBO in question will support. If they don't match, don't do it...

Archived