i got two different mocks for ya

i think it's pretty safe to assume that carson will indeed retire and chad will be traded. but for the hell of it i made a mock where we both guys are in stripes next year

mock 1: with chad and carson

1. Nick Fairley DT auburn- too good of a player to pass up if he's there

2. Quinton Carter FS oklahoma- in a weak safety class this guy is at the top and would pair nicely with nelson

3. John Moffit G wisconson- this is a guy i'm very high on who could be a real mauler at RG when bobbie goes and in the mean time could step in at LG and be an upgrade over livings

4. Ricky Stanzi QB iowa- carson won't be around forever and this guy is a real pro sized QB who could even step in as a rookie if needed and play decent ball

5. Chimdi Chekwa CB ohio state- can't have enough good cover men this day in age and with JJoe's uncertainty it'd be wise to pick him up. not sure if he'll last this long tho

6. Bilal Powell RB louisville- excellent insurance policy for cedric and could hold up as a bell cow and offers deent ability as a reciever and has fresh legs since he only was a full time starter for one year

7. Tori Gurley WR south carolina- good size at 6-4 225 and hands, not much speed but could be a physical T.J. type

7. Bruce Miller LB central florida- good size and was twice CUSA defensive player of the year, most likely battle skuta for last LB spor or be on the PS

mock 2: (in my mind the more realistic one) is assuming carson bows out and chad is traded for say a 5th round pick

1. Da'quan Bowers DE clemson- i believe him or Fairley will be there when we pick and we just got to have one of these two guys, you can never have enough horses in the trenches.

2. Christian Ponder QB florida state- this guy is the most NFL ready of the QBs and in my opinion is a stronger armed version of ryan fitzpatrick, he's incredibly smart, real good mobility and he can be quite accurate. the only concern is his injuries and i can see where that could be a big hold up on pulling the trigger but this guy can get it done

3. Jaiquawn Jarrett FS temple- this may be a little high for him but he's an intelligent, dedicated safety who is agressive with good speed, needs to get stronger however

4. Will Rackey OG lehigh- i'll admit i haven't seen much of him but from what i've read he's good real good strength and excellent technique, and we got to get and upgrade at LG to help out our new QB

5. Cecil Shorts III WR mount union- just lit up D3 football, runs a sub 4.45 forty time and offers alot in the return game, the only knock on him is he played in D3 but i think he can have a marques colston type impact coming from a small school

5.Greg Mcelroy QB alabama- i'm in the boat that it is a good idea to draft two QBs if carson goes. and this dude is a winner with decent touch and arm strength. and if he and christian and greg both pan out the way i think they will, he will be nice trade bait in 3 or so years

6. Chris Culliver S/CB south carolina- good size and speed, was an all SEC safety in 2009 before switching to corner in his senior year so he's got versatillity as well as experiance on the outside and deep

7. DJ Young OT michigan state- athletic and agressive who needs some polish, but should push roland right off the roster and provide better detph

7. Martin Parker DT richmond- would be picked higher if the draft class at his position wasn't so deep, dominated the east-west shrine game

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1301524848' post='980942']
Why are you drafting free safeties when we need a strong safety?

Checkwa is a 3rd round prospect according to CBS

I prefer 1. Mostly because I hope Carson is still here.
[/quote]

1. because i'm not too sold on nelson and we have a roster full of strong safeties who are good against the run but can't cover. plus carter can play either strong or free

2. with regards to chekwa unfortunately you are right most people have him rated as a 3rd or early 4th rounder but one can hope i guess

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1301523268' post='980937']
like #2 much more. If you're taking a 2nd round safety instead of a QB, give me McDaniel over Carter.
[/quote]
x2, as much as I like QC. If he goes anywhere before the 3rd, somebody reached for him, & I wouldn't be surprised if he's still there in the 4th. One thing I can say for sure though, is that you will not find a higher character kid (see link). He's been a great representative of OU.

[url="http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110125_92_0_Univer628874"]Quinton Carter[/url]

Archived