BBQ

Cat

Ok, so if this is taboo, ban me.

I just got a gas grill, had charcoal all my adult life.

It's much easier and I might be enticed to start venturing beyond standard hot dogs an hamburgers.

What if I wanted to cook my own ribs? How would I begin to experiment with making my own BBQ sauce? I have tried a couple of local places for take-out, and their sauce sucks ass. Surely I can do better than that.

Where do I start?

Where do you live?

If in Cincinnati, or anywhere there is a Kroger, buy a bottle of Mongtomery Inn BBQ sause. I'm not a big bfan of their BBQ, but the sauce is great.

Another one to try (and you may only be able to find this at the big wholesale stores - Sam's Club, and the like) is Cattleman's. A lot of places use that sauce.

If you really want to make your own, experiment with combinations of ketchup, cider vinegar, molases or brown sugar, granulated garlic and cayenne pepper.

There's a million BBQ sauce recipes online. Everyone likes something a little different.
I do a mix of Jack's (nashville), Blue Front (South Florida taxi/BBQ joint) and mix in a cup of brown sugar and a nice dash of Tiger Sauce. For me nothing beats that. The ketchup recipes usually end up tasting like ketchup.

Archived