Snap notes

@PFF_NateJahnke While I have you around, how many of Geathers snaps were at DT compared to DE?

@StevePalazzolo @JoeGoodberry 436-DLE, 133-DLT, 64-DRT, 24-DRE, 28-Somewhere in 3 man line, 5-With hand off ground

@PFF_NateJahnke @StevePalazzolo How many Dunlap at LDE?

@JoeGoodberry @StevePalazzolo 570, plus another 49 in 3 men line. 32 at DRE, twice with his hand off the ground and just once inside

• 2 weeks later...

so for those keeping score at home, according to today's Hobson article, Jones played 626 D snaps this year, likely all as the 3rd/nickel corner.  

As been discussed at length, in the nickel Jones comes in and replaces Lawson, who played 356 snaps.  

So the Nickel CB was on the field for 626 snaps, while the SLB was on the field roughly 370 snaps (accounting for some snaps skuta played slb as well).

So by rough estimate, that means the Bengals SLB is only on the field for 37% of all plays for the year.  

It also means that, assuming Maualuga does in fact move to SLB, he will be on the field 63% (660 snaps, 41 less snaps PER game if you will) less than he was in 2012.

Everyone freaking out less yet?

Here's a good question... see how many people know this cause I sure don't:

Why do they call it "nickel" and "dime" packages?

I figured nickel would be for 5 defensive backs. It makes sense. Dime... ?

dime is because it is 2 extra CBs, and two nickles make a dime.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't expect more than 4 sacks from James Harrison with the #Bengals. I hope expectations don't get crazy. He's not coming in for that.

57.3% of Manny Lawson's snaps came against the run. He had about 200 snaps against the pass all year. Harrison is filling that role.

I wouldn't expect more than 4 sacks from James Harrison with the #Bengals. I hope expectations don't get crazy. He's not coming in for that.

57.3% of Manny Lawson's snaps came against the run. He had about 200 snaps against the pass all year. Harrison is filling that role.

Do not agree with that at all.  Very bad assumption, IMO, to assume Harrison just comes in and assumes the same role as Manny.  Zimmer will play to his strengths, just like he had to account for all of Manny's weaknesses.   

Do not agree with that at all.  Very bad assumption, IMO, to assume Harrison just comes in and assumes the same role as Manny.  Zimmer will play to his strengths, just like he had to account for all of Manny's weaknesses.   

Not to mention that judging Zimmer's intent for the SLB by the results Manny put out there is completely flawed logic.

I don't expect big sack numbers from Harrison. They'll use him more than Lawson as a rusher, and he will get his share, but he won't be used as much as he would be as a 3-4 LB.

I think his biggest asset will be how good he is against the run. He's also good in coverage.

Archived