RIP Bob Brozman

Homer_Rice

What did he inspire you to do?

It's funny how different things, in this case music, someone's voice, means so much to someone sometimes. For instance, it sounds like this song has a special place in your heart for whatever reason. To me, it's just horrible and I'll never play it again. Now let's reverse things. Whenever I hear any song from Blink 182's Take Off Your Pants and Jacket, it takes me back entirely to a time that was care free, stress free, worry free, and just overall a blast (high school with the fellas). I'm sure those songs I specifically care about, or at least makes me feel good, are completely garbage to others.

Speaking of reminiscing and what triggers nostalgia, I read once that smell is one of the best nostalgia enhancing happenings. I have to agree with it. Sometimes I'll smell certain candy (specifically, ring pops and that pink bubble gum) and it just takes me back to elementary school baseball. There's others but that's just one I'm remembering right now. They'll come back and visit as life goes on.

I'm glad you have something that you enjoy, Homer.

Well, it's obvious that Tigris' taste in music is up his ass, either that or he doesn't play guitar at all. I've never heard this guy before, not a big fan of the singing, but he's owning that Dobro big time. As a guitarist myself I enjoy watching people that are extra talented at the craft and can enjoy what they do regardless of what type of music they're playing. But, dude, this is good old Blues music. Your Blink 182 doesn't even exist without the blues that this man plays. 

MULLY

that's right, my Metallica and Godmsack have their roots in the blues too, almost everything does to some extent

What did he inspire you to do?

I play guitar. Not very well, but for personal enjoyment. And Brozman is in my pantheon of guitarists who have inspired me to play in a particular style. Others include Ry Cooder and Leo Kottke. But Brozman is kind of special because my left hand technique is limited somewhat because of damage done to my shoulder in a car accident when I was a 19 year old kid. I'm not crippled on anything, but the limitations sort of helped nudge me towards playing slide. (Also, my particular socio-economico-political views make me interested in blues and roots music, including country blues and American Primitive music as well as world music oriented around string instruments.)

Brozman's instructional material has helped me on my particular musical journey; he's also quite an interesting fellow, too. And, as Mully recognized, he's a master of his craft. I was sad to see he's passed away. I posted that specific tune because, well, listen to the lyrics.

Mully,

Along with his blues work, Brozman did a lot of slack key and world music. Here's a sweet piece from a collaboration with Takashi Hirayasu, from Okinawa. Reminds me of Tex-Mex--which I guess isn't surprising, as I know that Hirayasu has also done some stuff with Cooder.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfPG7wTc3lQ[/media]

Well, it's obvious that Tigris' taste in music is up his ass, either that or he doesn't play guitar at all. I've never heard this guy before, not a big fan of the singing, but he's owning that Dobro big time. As a guitarist myself I enjoy watching people that are extra talented at the craft and can enjoy what they do regardless of what type of music they're playing. But, dude, this is good old Blues music. Your Blink 182 doesn't even exist without the blues that this man plays. 
MULLY
that's right, my Metallica and Godmsack have their roots in the blues too, almost everything does to some extent

I definitely don't have the same appreciation for music as you do. And no, I can't and have no desire to ever play the guitar; just not my thing. I'm just simply saying, this isn't one of my loves, not even close. I really don't care about how music derived from whatever kind of music. Again, different levels of appreciation. I don't see that how it puts anything in my butt but to each their own I suppose!

I definitely don't have the same appreciation for music as you do. And no, I can't and have no desire to ever play the guitar; just not my thing. I'm just simply saying, this isn't one of my loves, not even close. I really don't care about how music derived from whatever kind of music. Again, different levels of appreciation. I don't see that how it puts anything in my butt but to each their own I suppose!

Just giving you a hard time, Sally. You've been around this forum long enough to expect that from time to time. hehe!! We've all taken our share of nut kicks on here.

MULLY

Archived