The $70 Leap ‘Minority Report’ mouse is here

‘The Leap’ is a $70, three dimensional USB device that replaces your mouse and is said to be much more accurate than Microsoft’s connect. The creators of The Leap claim that it can accurately detect a sharpened pencil to 1/100 of a millimeter (that could be useful art/drawing programs)! With the device you can, swipe, pinch, scroll, etc. the same as you would do on a tablet. The demo video even shows someone playing Angry Birds with chopsticks (of course you knew that was coming). We can see The Leap being very useful for 2-D and 3-D drawings as well as, maps, gaming, and 3-D modeling. You can Pre-Order now at the official site.

http://youtu.be/_d6KuiuteIA

Neat idea, and I could see some useful applications.... But I can't imagine that stuff becoming popular. People love mice because they are low exertion input devices. Using two arms, two wrists, and ten fingers to accomplish what can be done with one wrist and two fingers seems like a step backwards.

Neat idea, and I could see some useful applications.... But I can't imagine that stuff becoming popular. People love mice because they are low exertion input devices. Using two arms, two wrists, and ten fingers to accomplish what can be done with one wrist and two fingers seems like a step backwards.

You won't have to be doing sign language here.. With the kind of precision we are talking about you will be able to select and do things with small movements of your fingers.  With a mouse you are limited in your posture and positioning in interacting with the computer.  Right now the only thing tying a user to a desk is the KB, which honestly isn't necessary in a lot of computer input.

Also, think of the possibilities as far as embedded computers in appliances and households.  With what is becoming very affordable optical technology we will be able to interface with devices using simple motions and body language.  Hell the latest kinect sensor is supposed to be able to track your pulse and map facial expressions.

Archived