NHL Ends their Strike

Guest BlackJesus

24 members have voted

1. 1. NHL Ends their Strike

• Who Gives a Fuck, the Sport Blows Ass
    • I did care a little before, but now Fuck em
    • Hell Yeah, (Clubs baby seal) Can't wait for Hockey !!!
    • I only occasionally watch, now I will even less

Guest BlackJesus
[u]Sides will have to ratify new CBA
ESPN.com news services
[/u]

NEW YORK -- Open the arenas, break out the skates and fire up the Zamboni.

The NHL is back.

After losing an entire season to a lockout, players and owners ended an all-night bargaining session Wednesday by reaching their goal: a tentative deal, which includes a salary cap, that virtually ensures hockey will return this fall.

The six-year pact still needs to be ratified by both sides. According to ESPN.com's Scott Burnside, the players' association has scheduled a members meeting in Toronto for next Wednesday and Thursday, and a ratification vote will be held next Thursday. The NHL board of governors had planned to gather next Thursday in New York for a vote, but that may be delayed as a result.

"It's a new day," Philadelphia Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock said. "It's pretty exciting."

"At the end of the day everybody lost," said Wayne Gretzky, the NHL's career scoring leader and the managing partner of the Phoenix Coyotes. "We almost crippled our industry. It was very disappointing what happened."

The last round of negotiations began Tuesday at noon and culminated around noon Wednesday with a joint news release announcing the deal.

Though details won't be released until both sides approve it, a salary cap would be something players' union executive director Bob Goodenow never wanted.

A prominent player agent told ESPN The Magazine's E.J. Hradek that the draft lottery will be held July 21, with the entry draft being held July 30 in Ottawa.

Once everyone signs off on the deal, the league can begin the difficult task of gaining public support. No matter who won or lost, the fight cost the NHL a full season.

"To be totally honest, I really don't care what the deal is anymore. All I care about is getting the game back on the ice," Flyers star Jeremy Roenick said in a telephone interview during a celebrity golf event in Nevada.

"I think the deal is not great for the players. It is definitely an owner-friendly deal. For the last 10 years, the players have made a lot of money and now we are in a position where everybody is going to make money," he said. "Unfortunately, it had to take a whole year to get to a point where we could have been last year."

This lockout was worse than any in sports, dwarfing the one that cut the 1994-95 hockey season nearly in half and resulted in the agreement that expired last September.

In February, commissioner Gary Bettman canceled the season, making the NHL the first North American sports league to lose a year because of a labor dispute.

"I don't want to get to the relief point yet until everything's finalized," said Carolina Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford, a former goalie. "What we went through was necessary. We had to get some controls on our business and certainly I'm hoping that's what this new agreement does."

While the NHL seems to have gotten what it wanted, there is no way to measure the damage done to a sport that already was the least popular of the four major leagues in the United States.

That's going to be our next big step -- winning back the fans," said Nashville Predators forward Jim McKenzie, a 15-year NHL veteran. "We'll have our work cut out for us."

If all goes according to plan, a scaled-down draft is expected to be held later this month and training camps will open in September from Vancouver to Miami. NHL games will be back on the schedule in October.

"It'll be a great thing to get the game back up," Columbus Blue Jackets coach Gerard Gallant said.

Selling the sport might take a while longer.

During the lockout, disgruntled Buffalo fan Doug Sitler sold more than 15,000 magnetic car ribbons that read: "I need my hockey fix(ed)."

"I think it's going to take a little bit of time for people to get back in the swing of things," he said. "But sports fans are pretty fickle. They have short memories. They really do."

It took all night and then some for the final round of negotiations to produce an agreement.

The sides met for 10 straight days in New York, and it became clear Wednesday morning -- the 301st day of the lockout -- that they weren't going to leave the room without an agreement.

The expected salary cap likely will have a ceiling of $37 million to 39.5 million and a minimum of $22 million to 22.4 million.

Player salaries will not exceed 54 percent of league-wide revenues, expected to be around $1.8 billion. Players will also put money into escrow, and after each season that will be used to balance out the set percentage based on actual revenues.

Bettman warned in February that offers the union passed up were better than any it would see once a year of hockey was lost.

Just days before the season was wiped out, the players' association said for the first time it would accept a salary cap if the league dropped its desire to link player costs to revenues.

That started a wild week that included the cancellation of the season Feb. 16 and a false hope three days later that it would be saved. Even Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux -- superstars turned executives -- couldn't resurrect it during an emergency bargaining session in New York.

Negotiations resumed in mid-March.

Bettman promised "cost certainty" in the form of a hard salary cap to the owners, and he has gotten it.

The landscape of the NHL will be quite different than it was in June 2004, when the Tampa Bay Lightning skated off with the Stanley Cup in the league's last game before the lockout. For the first time since a flu epidemic in 1919, there was no Stanley Cup champion in 2005.

When the league relaunches in the fall, it will do so with a new salary structure that keeps high-spending teams such as Detroit, Toronto, Philadelphia and the New York Rangers in check.

The first order of business after ratification will be to get a majority of the players signed. The belief is that last season's contracts will be wiped from the books, leaving many players without deals.

Those who are still under contract will have their salaries reduced by 24 percent, a concept first proposed by the union last December. Some high-priced players will also be on the market as teams pare payrolls to get down to the cap.

Even with the salary rollback, nine teams would've been over the cap based on payrolls at the end of the 2003-04 season.

There will also be rules changes, some that could include the size of goaltender equipment to a shootout to eliminate tie games.

"Our focus right now, from the coaches' standpoint, is we're waiting to see what our roster is going to look like and what the playing rules are going to look like," Hitchcock said.

The draft was supposed to be held last month in Ottawa, and the Canadian capital might get to host the event soon.

Junior hockey phenom Sidney Crosby is the consensus choice to be the No. 1 pick. Where he goes will be determined by a weighted draft lottery that will give each team some opportunity to snag him.

NBC will start its two-year television deal a year late, but the NHL still needs to find a cable partner.

"We are thrilled for the fans that hockey is returning to the ice, and we're delighted to be the network television partner of the NHL as it moves into what I believe will be an exciting new era," NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol said.

The deal finally came during sport's biggest lull of the year -- the baseball All-Star break.

The NHL probably won't hold such an event until 2007. Next year's All-Star Game is expected to be replaced by an Olympic break, allowing for players to represent their countries in Turin, Italy.

[quote name='The Carson Show' date='Jul 13 2005, 08:52 PM']who the fuck watches hockey???
hockey sucks worse than soccer
[right][post="114089"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

can you please explain to me how hockey sucks? this should be a really good answer

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]can you please explain to me how hockey sucks? this should be a really good answer[/quote]

[i][b]I think the correct Question is

What is Good about Hockey ?

To me it is figure skating mixed in with an occasional fight (the only good part of the sport) .... there is no scoring, excitement, no personalities for the players, and you never have a memorable play... they all look the same [/b][/i]

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Jul 13 2005, 10:17 PM'][i][b]I think the correct Question is

What is Good about Hockey ?
To me it is figure skating mixed in with an occasional fight (the only good part of the sport) .... there is no scoring, excitement, no personalities for the players, and you never have a memorable play... they all look the same [/b][/i]
[right][post="114154"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

there are rumors around that they are changing alot of stuff to up the scoring such as making the goals bigger and the goalie pads smaller and making the nets red (so it catches the eye quicker) instead of white... there also changing stuff to make it more interesting for the fans such as making the ice blue and "blue lines" orange.

[quote name='Riptide' date='Jul 13 2005, 09:44 PM']can you please explain to me how hockey sucks? this should be a really good answer
[right][post="114132"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

It's soccer on ice!
Doesn't that explain enough?
A lot of "running", passing, and chasing to maybe have a 1-0 game.
And then when there is a fight you get to look forward to an eye popping out on the ice...<<<ewwwugh>><<shiver>>.

hockey is not soccor on ice at all. if you would actually give it a chance you would prolly like it.

1st there is more to sports than scoring.
2nd hockey is prolly more physically demanding than football. i have played both and hockey hurts a lot more. that is the reason there is so much fighting because of all the hitting and such that goes on. hockey is a much faster game, they are always skating instead of waiting 40 seconds in between plays. hockey players are the toughest athletes in any sport. you dont see them whining about blisters and sprained toes
3rd it might look like the players are just skating around but they are actually running designed plays
4th hockey might look boring to you on tv but go to a game live and you will be amazed at all of the action and hitting that is going on that you wont see on tv. it might just make you into a hockey fan. some of you mentioned that the fighting is the only good part if you went to the game and saw all of the hitting physical parts to hockey such as the battles for position in front of the net while there are 90mph shots going by your head. if you have the money buy the seats right up against the glass in the front couple of rows you might just shit yourself a couple of times.

Hockey has 10 times the excitment of baseball or basketball, the players do have personallities its just that they arent marketed like other sports, there are a ton of memorible plays.

If you want a memorible play go back to the 2003 stanley cup finals game 6 new jersey vs. aneheim. jersey leads the series 3-2 with 15 minutes left in the game.this is something i will never forget. paul kariya skating across the ice with the puck passes to one of his teamates just before getting hammered by scott stevens. kariya gets knocked down and out cold. laying on the ice he stopped breathing. the camara zooms in on him just laying there finally he starts to breathe again and is taken off the ice. 10 minutes later comes back out onto the ice and scores the game winning goal to force a game 7. you will never see that in any other sport.

JUST GO WATCH A GAME LIVE AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT HOCKEY IS ALL ABOUT!

Guest The Carson Show
[quote name='Riptide' date='Jul 14 2005, 11:46 AM']hockey is not soccor on ice at all. if you would actually give it a chance you would prolly like it.

2nd hockey is prolly more physically demanding than football. i have played both and hockey hurts a lot more. that is the reason there is so much fighting because of all the hitting and such that goes on. hockey is a much faster game, they are always skating instead of waiting 40 seconds in between plays. hockey players are the toughest athletes in any sport. you dont see them whining about blisters and sprained toes
3rd it might look like the players are just skating around but they are actually running designed plays
4th hockey might look boring to you on tv but go to a game live and you will be amazed at all of the action and hitting that is going on that you wont see on tv. it might just make you into a hockey fan. some of you mentioned that the fighting is the only good part if you went to the game and saw all of the hitting physical parts to hockey such as the battles for position in front of the net while there are 90mph shots going by your head. if you have the money buy the seats right up against the glass in the front couple of rows you might just shit yourself a couple of times.

Hockey has 10 times the excitment of baseball or basketball, the players do have personallities its just that they arent marketed like other sports, there are a ton of memorible plays.

If you want a memorible play go back to the 2003 stanley cup finals game 6 new jersey vs. aneheim. jersey leads the series 3-2 with 15 minutes left in the game.this is something i will never forget. paul kariya skating across the ice with the puck passes to one of his teamates just before getting hammered by scott stevens. kariya gets knocked down and out cold. laying on the ice he stopped breathing. the camara zooms in on him just laying there finally he starts to breathe again and is taken off the ice. 10 minutes later comes back out onto the ice and scores the game winning goal to force a game 7. you will never see that in any other sport.

[right][post="114409"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

ehhh..no thanks
hockey isnt my cup of tea
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/28.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/28.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/28.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/28.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/28.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/28.gif[/img]

[quote name='Riptide' date='Jul 14 2005, 11:46 AM']hockey is not soccor on ice at all. if you would actually give it a chance you would prolly like it.

[right][post="114409"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I have seen live hockey. It bored the shit out of me. Maybe if I had a closer seat it would seem better, or maybe if I drank. To enjoy hockey I would need beer goggles.

Guest BlackJesus
I've been to hockey Games and they still sucked

[img]http://www.owned.com/Owned_Pictures/rollerbladeinthefaceowned.jpg[/img]

I used to play hockey and the sport still bores me. I can't watch any other game than the team I like, the Rangers, and I only watch them maybe 6 times a year tops.

Seriously the last time hockey was exciting was 92-93. Not just because the Rangers won, but because they had great players at the time, and memorable plays.

I don't think they should make bigger nets or dumb shit like the stuff mentioned above, however I think they need to:

A) end the use of the trap, or try to as best possible
B) go to some of the Olympic rules, and have less checking, more finess stuff
C) make ticket prices extremely low, so some of the urban youth in the cities can start to fall in love with the game

Guest 34inXXIII
You can't reason with them, ripride, any more than the NASCAR fanatics in here can convince me to enjoy their competitions. Frankly, after the NHL wasted a season - even if it was for the best in the long term - the league doesn't deserve for me to try to sell their sport for them. I love the NHL and look forward to its return. I'm eager to see what changes they will make in the gameplay. I may invite a friend over to watch some games if he's interested in learning a bit about the game, but I'm done trying to convince others why they should watch it...for now, anyways.

They get boring...whenever i watch no one fucking scores and it bores the fuck outta me. I also heard ESPN isnt showing hockey anymore :D . It takes up basketball that i would rather watch

Guest Gonzoid
Hockey is not "soccer on ice" nor is it boring, in my opinion. Soccer is just passing with the occassional shot at the goal. It's Keep Away with your feet.

Hockey is played on a smaller surface than a soccer pitch, has fewer guys on the field, has more physical contact (and the players don't drop wallowing in pain at slightest touch), has more scoring and great athleticism.

The problem with Hockey is the current commissioner, Gary Bettman, an NBA guy. He expanded the sport into areas that he probably shouldn't have (Anaheim, Florida Panthers and Carolina). He promoted the sport yet he never promoted the players. And, yes, BJ, Hockey players do have personalities. Get a load of Chris Chelios or Jeremy Roenick or, hell, even Phil Esposito (for you classic folks).

Bettman also is responsible for two work stoppages, including the only major league that lost a season because of labor issues. It's ridiculous.

Maybe now that the NHL is getting its crap together, they can start trying to win their fans back. True, it'll never replace football or baseball as the top sport but, for my money, it produces more excitement in one period than either sports can in one game.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
I been to hockey games and they weren't that bad, TV doens't do hockey any justice. But hockey is still red-headed step child of American sports and losing a season didn't help. Hockey isn't the physical sport either, football and boxing are more physical. Wayne Greztey would be a kicker in the NFL, he's considered to be one of the best hockey.

The physical aspect of hockey comes from the long season. The constant hits in a game and the long shift times. It's more about getting your body in endurance mode than lets say the physical power you'd need in the NFL. There you have game day on Sunday, and then a week to recover. Sure, there may be some contact in practice, but it'll be light. Hockey, you're smashed one game, then the next day, you're playing again. Throw in the daily practices as well.

I'm one of those rare Canucks who doesn't really follow hockey all that much [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/26.gif[/img] But I will say those guys are in great shape in terms of their body sustaining poundings over a long season.

Gretzky was the "great one" because of his stick skills...and hockey sense. Not really any physical attributes. He was an amazing handler, and a deadly shot. he was small for hockey standards, but hardly touched...because...face it, if you did, his team would kill you. That big lug head Marty McSorley made a nice multi-million dollar career over basically being his bodyguard on the ice.

A guy who probably did dominate due to his physical prowess was Mario. The great skills, great shot, and a physically big presence who could unleash hits on people.

Guest Gonzoid

Both the NHL Board of Governors and the NHLPA have approved the new CBA. The lockout (not strike as BJ thinks B) ) is pretty much over.

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]Wayne Greztey would be a kicker in the NFL, he's considered to be one of the best hockey.[/quote]

[i]great Line Smoov... and so True[/i]

Guest Gonzoid
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Jul 22 2005, 04:34 PM'][i]great Line Smoov... and so True[/i]
[right][post="117707"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Who is Wayne Grezty?

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Jul 21 2005, 11:28 AM']I been to hockey games and they weren't that bad, TV doens't do hockey any justice.  But hockey is still red-headed step child of American sports and losing a season didn't help.  Hockey isn't the physical sport either, football and boxing are more physical.  Wayne Greztey would be a kicker in the NFL, he's considered to be one of the best hockey.
[right][post="116988"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i dont really get your point with the gretzky statement because what would payton manning be in the nhl. he cant even run let alone skate.

Archived