The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Ravens game 2

I think it was Coley Harvey, who IMO nailed the Bengals offense perfectly yesterday:

Gruden throws so many different things at a defense, that the Bengals offense is inconsistent at times because they haven't mastered all of those things yet.

Tough for a defense to key in on, but sometimes it leads to too many self-inflicted wounds.

ahh, it was actually Phil Simms, not Harvey (though I may have read it in a Harvey article originally):

"He (Gruden) can put up on that board, ‘Hey, they do this, they do that, they run the wild cat, they run reverses and screens. I don’t know how you can stop it.’ It’s a lot of stuff. Trust me. I think that’s one of their keys. They do a lot. That’s why they can get hot in spurts, but also when you do a lot, sometimes you’ll have a cold spurt when you don’t quite click into what’s working for you that day.”

The bolded sums up the Bengals offense perfectly IMO.

ahh, it was actually Phil Simms, not Harvey (though I may have read it in a Harvey article originally):

"He (Gruden) can put up on that board, ‘Hey, they do this, they do that, they run the wild cat, they run reverses and screens. I don’t know how you can stop it.’ It’s a lot of stuff. Trust me. I think that’s one of their keys. They do a lot. That’s why they can get hot in spurts, but also when you do a lot, sometimes you’ll have a cold spurt when you don’t quite click into what’s working for you that day.”

The bolded sums up the Bengals offense perfectly IMO.

to add to this, per Harvey, Simms said the Bengals have the most complex offense in the league.

to add to this, per Harvey, Simms said the Bengals have the most complex offense in the league.

and to quote myself for the third time, lol, I wonder how much the complexity plays into a lot of the miscommunication we see with Dalton throwing one way and WR's occasionally running another.

and to quote myself for the third time, lol, I wonder how much the complexity plays into a lot of the miscommunication we see with Dalton throwing one way and WR's occasionally running another.

Makes a lot of sense to me and also why I wish they could get away from that a little at the start of games. Let everyone get in a rhythm with some easy concepts before we start throwing into triple coverage expecting the wr to leap over everyone and come down with the ball while he rounds off his route thinking he's not getting the ball.

It bothers me that they (Jay, Andy, the wrs) think that first pass to Marvin Jones is a good option and we should take that shot to start a game. I know in the league you have to have back shoulder throws and expect wrs to come down with contested passes...but we clearly have a reoccuring problem with those guys not coming down with the ball and it resulting in picks. I would like to see those options shelved for a drive or two until guys are in a rhythm to make those plays.

Archived