laptop selection help

gatorclaws

I'm in the market for a new laptop. A few features I'm looking for are 1080P, 15" plus screen (17" preferable), touchscreen, hybrid hard drive or ssd.

Right now I'm looking at an ASUS Q501LA-BBI5T03.  It's $660+tax new at best buy or $520 tax free refurb at newegg.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/15-6-touch-screen-laptop-6gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive/8937121.p?id=1218954925812&skuId=8937121&st=categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=1#tab=overview

I would then buy a SSD to swap out (Crucial 240GB for about $125) so it'd cost between $650 and $775 or so.

Lenovo Outlet has a similar U530 (sometimes shows up as Y530) that comes with 500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive and 8 GB Micro Solid State Drive for $600 refurb. Would I notice enough of a difference between the hybrid lenovo drive and a full ssd in normal day use? I'd feel a lot better about it if the micro solid state was 16 or 24gb. The Lenovo is also i7-4500U vs  i5-4200U, 8GB vs 6GB RAM against the ASUS. I've read the Lenovo hard drive cannot be upgraded to SSD.

http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/outlet_us/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?hide_menu_area=true&GroupID=445&Code=QB07324574-59RF0568

Any opinion between these two options or any other suggestions?

I saw this on my phone last night and meant to reply but intended to do so after getting to my laptop and never made it there.

You really couldn't go wrong with either one; Lenovo makes the best laptops around behind Apple, and I've found Asus to be a close second.  You got a great deal on the Asus, so no worries there.  Hope you enjoy it! 

I saw this on my phone last night and meant to reply but intended to do so after getting to my laptop and never made it there.

You really couldn't go wrong with either one; Lenovo makes the best laptops around behind Apple, and I've found Asus to be a close second.  You got a great deal on the Asus, so no worries there.  Hope you enjoy it! 

No problem. I was going to wait until this weekend to buy but the $40 price drop decided it for me. I should be able to upgrade to a SSD with only having spent a little over $600 total. Might upgrade the RAM also. People on slickdeals claim the IPS panel on this is amazing.

No problem. I was going to wait until this weekend to buy but the $40 price drop decided it for me. I should be able to upgrade to a SSD with only having spent a little over $600 total. Might upgrade the RAM also. People on slickdeals claim the IPS panel on this is amazing.

Upgrading the RAM is moot when you have an SSD, as when you swap, it's swapping to the same speed of memory as your RAM as opposed to spinning disk.  Now, if you start doing a lot of heavy duty photo and video editing or something else that takes a shitload of memory, go ahead and up the RAM, but if you're just posting here and looking at pictures of cats, then I'd save your money and see if you need it... 

Upgrading the RAM is moot when you have an SSD, as when you swap, it's swapping to the same speed of memory as your RAM as opposed to spinning disk.  Now, if you start doing a lot of heavy duty photo and video editing or something else that takes a shitload of memory, go ahead and up the RAM, but if you're just posting here and looking at pictures of cats, then I'd save your money and see if you need it... 

yes... SSD's are the greatest thing since.......  ______

I put one in my MBP and was amazed.

I haven't done it to the desktop yet...but it will happen soon...

Archived