My Project

So this isn't as in depth as Go's....but none the less it is a significant project. We need to finish a little tile work and then we are going to paint the cabinets white.  (Sorry the pics aren't great).  We sealed the counter-tops with 5-6 coats of boat sealer so we shouldn't have any issues.

10405605_892589060758211_912161755939616

1472940_892588970758220_2343274460214695

So this isn't as in depth as Go's....but none the less it is a significant project. We need to finish a little tile work and then we are going to paint the cabinets white.  (Sorry the pics aren't great).  We sealed the counter-tops with 5-6 coats of boat sealer so we shouldn't have any issues.

I enjoyed seeing someone with the balls to use a wood counter-top and do it right.  Nice job on sealing that up.  Epifanes appears to be a pretty good product from the link you provided and also some individual research.  Reports are that it hold up pretty well to most chemicals.  IF I may offer one suggestion and that is on the cabinet paint used....  Use milk white paint to match the old world looks of your counter-top.  Try it on the back of one of your cabinet frames to see if its what you want.  The more coats of it you apply the less transparent it becomes.  In other words, it can still show off the beautiful wood underneath but still be white or it can be all white with no wood showing.  Milk paint (the old formulation that actually uses milk and lime) will still look good and rustic (...and holds up remarkably well) but not like it pops off as too modern.  Probably match pretty well with the fashionable pulls and handles you are using too.

Here is the stuff I used http://www.milkpaint.com/ ...  You can get it in small quantities (makes a pint) to try it out from various dealers (I used Woodcraft Supply).  I use it mostly on rustic decorations but have seen some cabinets done in this paint that look awesome.

I was very happy with how they turned out.  And thanks for the compliment. I wouldn't say they are done 'right', but they are pretty close.   We will have to check out the paint.  It looks interesting and we are going for a slightly rustic look.

We are doing a quick project in the bathroom this weekend. (note this is not out bathroom).  The wood is stained and I just need to paint the pipes.  The painting in the kitchen may have to take a back seat for a few weeks.  I have two projects that Have to be finished and are going to take my a couple of full days to complete.

shelves1.jpg

I was thinking about trying to do a railing for our steps out of pipe as well.  We'll see if that happens.

Not sure about the tile counter-tops....If I remember correctly they aren't that popular.

yea they aren't overly popular I don't think, but seem pretty nice if done well.  

wkr111_4ca_lg.jpg

iStock-Tile-blackgranite-countertop-crop

tile.jpg

Our current countertops look like a #2 pencil.  They desperately need to be re-done before we ever move. 

Just wonder is a suitable option.  Home Depot always has tile on-sale for cheap.  We could probably do our entire kitchen countertops with $60 worth of tile.  

yea they aren't overly popular I don't think, but seem pretty nice if done well.  

wkr111_4ca_lg.jpg

iStock-Tile-blackgranite-countertop-crop

tile.jpg

Our current countertops look like a #2 pencil.  They desperately need to be re-done before we ever move. 

Just wonder is a suitable option.  Home Depot always has tile on-sale for cheap.  We could probably do our entire kitchen countertops with $60 worth of tile.  

My little brother had put a tile counter top together. They look nice but I personally could do without the ridges. There are surface restore products available but have never used them. One other option is to talk with one of those kitchen cabinet people at an outlet. A lot of them work with or for the bigger cabinet companies and can cut the counters that they sell a lot cheaper than the big box stores.

Archived