Linebackers: Predictions for Cincinnati Bengals for 2016

Well, we're 6 days and a wake up from FA signings.   So, I thought I would have some fun here with some predictions to get some juices flowing.  As I played LB in college, this position has always been close to my heart.  It's okay if you don't agree,  please add your thoughts.  I'm excited for 2016 and think that the Bengals will be in a good position for this season. 

Rey Maualuga (ILB) – Entering his 8th season.  He had a solid 2015 season.  He will be starter for 2016.

Vontaze Burfict (WLB) – Coming into 2016 with a 3 game suspension.   He will start after the suspension.

A J Hawk (WLB) – FA after 2017.  Is his heart in it for the 2016 season?   Production was off in 2015 with only 24 TT’s.  At 32 and going into his 11th season, how is he feeling from a health perspective?   If he retires in 2016, he pays back ½ of his bonus.  Correct me if I am wrong, if he is waived then I don’t think he has to pay it back.  Prediction, if WLB drafted, Hawk will be waived and retires.

PJ Dawson (WLB) – Dawson was regulated to ST in 2015.  He struggled some in practice with new NFL D-scheme.  He has had the 2015 season to adjust though.  2016 is his opportunity to show what he can do with Burfict suspended for the first three games.   Prediction, he will make the 53 MR, but not sure of how much playing time he will get unless he shows up in training camp.  PG has commented on this.  If he is not running with the One’s in camp, then he is in trouble and might be on the radar screen for being waived.  Especially if the Bengals draft an athletic cover LB who can play right now.

Trevor Roach (ILB) – He was on the PS and then activated for the Wildcard Playoff when Lamur injured his knee.   He showed well in Pre-season in 2015 at ILB.   He was solid on ST’s during Wild Card game against Pittsburgh.   He is listed as an ILB but can also play at SLB.   Prediction, He will make the 53 MR for 2016, start on ST’s and be a back-up to Maualuga.

Marcus Flowers (SLB) – IR for 2015 with shoulder injury.  He contributed on ST and took snaps at LB in 2014.  Prediction, he will make the 53 MR if shoulder is okay.  Only concern is that his injury was a shoulder injury.  This is a tough injury for a LB who uses his shoulder on every tackle.  Can Flowers hold up?  We’ll see in Camp.  

Jayson Dimanche (SLB) – JD moved around between two teams in 2015 starting with Cincinnati then going to the Browns PS and then returning to Cincinnati when Roach was activated.  JD played ST’s and took snaps at LB in 2014 with Cincinnati.  Prediction, He will make the PS for 2016 unless a UDFA beats him out in Camp.  If Flowers cannot go, then JD makes the 53 MR and plays ST’s.

Jeff Luc (ILB) – Bounced around on the PS with 3 teams in 2015.  Currently he is showing on status from other NFL blog sites that his weight is up to 263Ibs (way to heavy).    Prediction, he will not make the Cut on a 53 MR or the PS.

Free Agents

Vincent Rey (SLB/ILB) - FA in 2016. Will he stay or will he get paid more with another team?    Prediction, Rey will receive a 2 year contract at $7 Million and stay.  He is insurance for the 3 games that Burfict will be gone as well as being a strong backup at all LB positions.  He was the ST Captain in 2015. 

Emmanuel Lamur (SLB) – FA in 2016.  He injured his knee in last regular season game.  No surgery was required, but he still needs to rehab the knee.   Prediction, New players are coming in that can do what he does.  He will not receive an extension or new contract and will be waived.

Draft Prediction:  Is drafting a LB a priority in 2016?  I don’t think so.  If they do, then Cincinnati will draft an OLB/WLB in the 4th or 5th Round.  If Vincent Rey does sign, then the pressure is off for the Bengals at LB.  They will focus on other positions for the draft.  Look for 2 UDFA LB’s to be signed to rookie minimum contracts coming into camp for 2016.

My more serious take:

What I would love to see is Lee at 24 (if he's still there), move Burfict to MLB and Maualuga to SLB (when Burfict returns).  Lee and Burfict would also be the nickel LBs.  But this is not happening.

I would also be happy drafting Josh Perry to play SLB and leave everyone else where they are.  IMO, especially if we re-sign Vinnie (which I think they will), we have enough WLB and MLB types, but no one I am happy with at SLB (except Maualuga if he's moved there).  I'm not convinced this happens either.

What I think happens is status quo with a late round pick on an OLB a possibility.  I just hope Dawson starts to show the instincts and productivity that made him a great college LB and they have to find a way to get him on the field.

My more serious take:

What I would love to see is Lee at 24 (if he's still there), move Burfict to MLB and Maualuga to SLB (when Burfict returns).  Lee and Burfict would also be the nickel LBs.  But this is not happening.

I would also be happy drafting Josh Perry to play SLB and leave everyone else where they are.  IMO, especially if we re-sign Vinnie (which I think they will), we have enough WLB and MLB types, but no one I am happy with at SLB (except Maualuga if he's moved there).  I'm not convinced this happens either.

What I think happens is status quo with a late round pick on an OLB a possibility.  I just hope Dawson starts to show the instincts and productivity that made him a great college LB and they have to find a way to get him on the field.

Agreed,  I think Lee is really the BEST pick in the draft at OLB that the Bengals could make.  Under the leadership of Burfict, Maualuga and Rey and the new LB Coach, he would be some who could contribute right away.  He is young, but he has the talent to be that cover LB that a lot of people are clamoring for.  The only thing I see is that he will be gone before the Bengals can get to him in the Draft.

I don't see them cutting Dawson, way too high of a draft pick for the Bengals to cut after only one year, especially considering they hate playing rookies unless they have no choice at all.

hopefully the days of not drafting badass linebackers could be over with draft if someone like Lee is available. I think we all saw in this years Super Bowl what dominating LBers can do (each team got there on the backs of their front 7 and especially LB core)

I hear what your saying.  I do think that Dawson has some opportunities, but if you read between the lines in PG's interview at the combine, Dawson has some growing up to do.  "You're not at TCU anymore".  I think it will be interesting to watch training camp this year.  This was my reason for the comment on whether Dawson is running with the "One's" or not.  He can be on the radar screen, but let it be because PG and the new LB Coach are seeing improvement.  I know we can't compare oranges to oranges between PJ Dawson and Nico Johnson.  But on paper they were both the "99th" pick in the NFL Draft in their perspective years.  Johnson, like Dawson was highly touted but didn't pan out  at KC and has now bounced around the NFL.  The ball is in Dawson's court.  Time to put on the shoulder pads and earn his keep.  I really want him to succeed.  His failure is in a sense a failure on the parts of the coaching staff (to some degree). 

Having said all of this, and I know it won't happen, but Dawson and Roach played VERY WELL together in pre-season last year.  They seemed to develop a nice chemistry like Burfict and Maualuga.  Lets see if the two play again together in pre-season.  Or better yet lets see Burfict and Dawson play together.

More importantly let's see Burfict step up and start mentoring the kid.  He's talked about changing his game.  Maybe mentoring is part of that process.  my curiosity has been peaked now as we get closer to camp. 

Archived