The Death of Competence

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]In an interview on ABC’s “Good Morning America” on September 1, President Bush said:

Bush: [i]"I don’t think anyone anticipated breach of the levees …Now we’re having to deal with it, and will."[/i][/quote]

[img]http://www.mrbill.com/TVparty%20Mr_%20Bill%20Creator%20Walter%20Williams%20interview_files/MrBill1.jpg[/img]
[b]Public service announcement from earlier this year[/b]
[url="http://www.mrbill.com/CNNMrBill.wmv"]http://www.mrbill.com/CNNMrBill.wmv[/url]

[u]OH NO: Mr. Bill Knew, So Why Didn't Washington? [/u]

Before we buy the claims of Bush that there was no way to predict or prevent the sinking of New Orleans, it's worth asking how Mr. Bill knew? That's right, the hapless clay figure once featured on NBC's Saturday Night Live starred in a prophetic public service announcement earlier this year to raise awareness about the environmental conditions that could lead to a hurricane drowning the city.

[url="http://www.mrbill.com/CNNMrBill.wmv"]http://www.mrbill.com/CNNMrBill.wmv[/url]

[color="red"][b]Watch this Prophetic CNN Report and then tell me if Bush should have known [/b][/color]

CHECK AND MATE -_-
[img]http://www.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/7/75/350px-Checkmate.jpg[/img]

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 7 2005, 11:10 AM'][color="purple"][i][b]weighted analogy... if it was lighting the hive on fire then hell yeah I would be for it.... but the actual analogy here is a host of trees with hives... (the largest one actually being Saudi Arabia (our Allie who Bush coddles) .... picture 10 trees with Bee Hives and what we did was go to one of the smaller ones (Iraq) and wacked the fuck out of it, causing the bees to spread and even travel to the other hives and rally those bees.... all of the bees being rallied then started spreading to trees we never even thought had hives.... and our allies forests now are becoming infested with bees, making them pissed at us as well..... Then to top it off, before we at least had support of the Neighborhood Condo Association (World) to hunt down the bee hive (Taliban) that actually stung us, but since we whacked the wrong one (Iraq) the neighborhood all now hates us and won't allow us to whack the other hives (Iran & Saudi Arabia) who are much bigger threats than Iraq ever was. [/b][/i][/color]
[right][post="143717"][/post][/right][/quote]

i agree w/ your perception and mine was somewhat weighted, unintentually... i never was very good at analygies... hell i can't even spell it right now :lol:

but it still doesn't answer my origional quesiton... should we treat this as a police problem, where we sit at home and try to catch those taht want to cause hard to us, or do we go to their hideouts and kill them there w/ our military?? seriously, i understand that these people are pissed off from our past, but the past is just that, the past... we have to figure out our best solution in the future, while working on fixing our past mistakes and not making them again... we have to have a solution to stop guys now... i don't like the idea of treating this as a police problem b/c then when we lose, innocent people die... at least in a military fashion, these people are paid to risk their lives to fight for us... any death is a bad death, but at least our military knows what they are getting into...

in your analogy, you are missing a key componant... the bees have spread but after the bees showing their ass and killing their own people (other muslims) there power is losing steam quickly...

i too wish we had osama, but i am beginning to really think he is dead... i've heard that in a newspaper in the middle east, they actually reported he was dead and are sticking to that story... but we have many other targets to get, b/c many are resposible for what happened on 9/11...

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Sep 7 2005, 10:12 AM'][url="http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1478997/posts"]click here[/url]

i think you've got the wrong "incompetent" people [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img] very interesting stuff in there...

you say that bush was ignoring the storm/flood in tuesday, august 30th right?? explain this picture taken on august 28th then??

[img]http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/nm/20050829/mdf47252.jpg[/img]

[i]President Bush is handed a map by Deputy Chief of Staff Joe Hagin during a video teleconference with federal and state emergency management organizations on hurricane Katrina from his Crawford ranch, August 28, 2005. [b]The President approved major disaster declarations for the states of Louisiana and Mississippi, clearing the way for the use of federal money to help respond to Hurricane Katrina, the White House said.[/b] [b]In addition, the President urged the governor of Louisiana and mayor or New Orleans to issue mandatory evacuation orders.[/b][/i]
how many lives were saved b/c Bush talked the governor to do the mandatory evacuation?? how many more lives would have been saved if that stupid incompetent bitch would have issued that evac the second he said it, instead of waiting ANOTHER 24 HOURS!!!!???!??!?
[right][post="143669"][/post][/right][/quote]
All this picture proves is that Spongebob Squarepants was in a commercial break. ;)

Seriously, though, I can't solely blame the President for this. I do think he should bear some of the responsibility, but every facet of government from the federal branches all the way down to the municipal branches should be held accountable. This thing has been handled awfully since the news broke and the fingerpointing is not exclusive to one governing body or another. If a Democrat was running the country, would we be dealing with the same thing? Absolutely. Would we be dealing with the same thing if the Louisiana governor and the New Orleans mayor were Republican? Yes. This disaster really comes down to bureaucracy at it's worst and the general ineffectiveness of the government in general.

Guest bengalrick
i agree for the most part chicago, except i think that the polarization of the country before this ever happened, has turned this into a political "jack-off" session... and this does have some to do w/ people hatred for bush (example: bj)

i totally agree about the "ineffectiveness" of our gov't and i fear that (like 9/11 and the homeland security dept) people will use this and create a bigger gov't... the homeland security is looking more and more useless right now and the last thing we need as a "homeland natural disaster agency"... there are too many hoops that people have to jump through to get things done...

i agree that all (including bush) needs to take criticism... we all pick sides in the end and i truely think that the local and state gov'ts screwed up royally and could have saved many people... but bush didn't take charge as he should have, and whipped people in shape...

Guest bengalrick

let me add this to go along w/ my "hatred for bush" comment... if the governor was floridas governor Jeb Bush, would he be taking more slack than the LA governor is??? i rest my case :)

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Sep 7 2005, 03:27 PM']i agree for the most part chicago, except i think that the polarization of the country before this ever happened, has turned this into a political "jack-off" session... and this does have some to do w/ people hatred for bush (example: bj)

i totally agree about the "ineffectiveness" of our gov't and i fear that (like 9/11 and the homeland security dept) people will use this and create a bigger gov't... the homeland security is looking more and more useless right now and the last thing we need as a "homeland natural disaster agency"... there are too many hoops that people have to jump through to get things done...

i agree that all (including bush) needs to take criticism... we all pick sides in the end and i truely think that the local and state gov'ts screwed up royally and could have saved many people... but bush didn't take charge as he should have, and whipped people in shape...
[right][post="143827"][/post][/right][/quote]
I agree that this situation has been politicized (see this board, for instance). To blame the anti-Bush crowd for this would be a mistake as well. Someone has posted that the dropping of the ball was because Democrats ran Louisiana and New Orleans. That's just as retarded as blaming Bush for all of the problems in the Gulf states. Plus, blaming Bush for the problems in America is kind of like blaming Ronald McDonald when you get a bad batch of McNuggets... they're both clowns who don't actually run the show :D - Sorry Rick, but I had do do it.

Guest sigfox77
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 7 2005, 10:12 AM'][color="blue"][i][b]I think if you are honest with yourself and look back at 9/11 it is clear that the nation turned to Rudi Guillianni.  As Bush was apporached with word of the attack, he froze.  Then that entire Day he was flying around in Air force one to Nebraska etc... Meanwhile on the ground we had a amazingly competent (Republican) Leader in Guillianni.  He coordinated the aftermath... and it wasn't until late that night (which I remember vividly as I was waiting in a 4 hour gas line) that Bush came on the radio and gave his speech.  I am trying my hardest to really discuss this and not use "extremist" language... but Bush always seems to be about 24 Hours behind the ball.... and in Disater that means a lot.    [/b][/i][/color]
[right][post="143670"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

trying to throw out a red herring...the quick bait and switch..lose the point on being prepared for Katrina so its a quick switch hit back to 9/11

I do admire you research skills though

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]trying to throw out a red herring...the quick bait and switch..lose the point on being prepared for Katrina so its a quick switch hit back to 9/11[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img]

[b]that was in relation to Old Mentioning 9/11 first .... I didn't bring it up Dumbass[/b]

Guest sigfox77
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 7 2005, 09:50 PM'] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img]

[b]that was in relation to Old Mentioning 9/11 first .... I didn't bring it up Dumbass[/b]
[right][post="144109"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

he wasnt 24 hours behind on either account....selective memory i suppose..either way my bad I thought you brought up

Guest BengalBacker

BJ. I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying in this thread. I'm working a ton of hours now, and admittedly just skimmed through the thread real quick though. I'm sure there are points I disagree with, but I rarely agree with anyone about everything. I also appreciate the restraint you're attempting to show. It makes your points much more powerful.

I don't think Bush is above criticism on anything. To be honest, I hated voting for him. I still think he was a better choice than Kerry. Mostly because I think the democratic party has collectively gone completely over the edge in many ways. I still could have voted for a democrat if I felt they had the right qualities.

To be honest, Bush is occasionally inspiring but often he does come off as a bumbling 1diot. I don't think he's anything close to a great leader. Like oldschooler said though, I do think he was given a shit sandwich and I have agreed with most of the things he's done in response to the shit. He and I may turn out to be wrong. As politicians go though, with the knowledge that they all have motives for what they do, I don't think his motives are as evil as they're made out to be. I do think he wants to do the right thing for the country. That doesn't mean he's above a little cronyism, but I've never seen a politician who was.

Your original post pointed out the problems with why people vote the way they do. There weren't many points in there that I would disagree with.

It seems I'm always disappointed in the candidates put forth by both parties, but I guess it's a chicken and egg thing. Do we vote for the wrong kind of people because that's all we have to choose from, or are our choices determined by what kind of person is deemed electable based on the same things you listed? Sadly it's some of both. In principle, a strong third party might be the best chance at a solution. There could be a lot of good effects from it. I still don't think it's the ideal solution though for reasons I've stated before.

Shady politics is a way of life on both sides of the aisle. Always has been. I hope it won't always be that way but it's hard to imagine it changing. I think it's ultimately the responsibility of the voting public to demand better candidates, but most of the voting public is too stupid to recognize a truly good candidate when they see one. Right now, I'm hoping Guillianni runs. I think he's demonstrated most of the qualities that make a good leader. Maybe someone else will surface who is even better. My greatest fear is Hillary being elected. I don't believe there is a sincere bone in her body.

Anyway, I hope you stick with the reasoned approach. Discussing things is much better than throwing bricks. :)

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 7 2005, 08:46 PM'][img]http://cagle.msnbc.com/working/050905/sorenson.gif[/img]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//23.gif[/img]   :thumbsup:
[right][post="143992"][/post][/right][/quote]

Your going to shit your paints when you find out the truth about those levee fundings and some of the deferrment shennagins that has gone on for years. Like $2M diverted to fund a fountain for Mardi Gra's and $22M diversion for housing projects of state officials. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//32.gif[/img]

Sidenote, I was watching an interview this past weekend with the comedian Steve Harvey, (I believe he was at the Astrodome) he said he was talking to some guy fro NO who said he had seen a barge hit the levee in one spot. This morning, I was talking to a guy at work and he said (from other sources) they believe a barge did hit the 17th st Canal levee. :blink:

Guest bengalrick
lawman... i heard the same thing about the barge... it is wierd that it broke at a spot that is actually updated recently and should have been able to withstand the hurricane...

[quote name='Lawman' date='Sep 8 2005, 09:21 AM']Your going to shit your paints when you find out the truth about those levee fundings and some of the deferrment shennagins that has gone on for years. Like $2M diverted to fund a fountain for Mardi Gra's and $22M diversion for housing projects of state officials. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//32.gif[/img]

Sidenote, I was watching an interview this past weekend with the comedian Steve Harvey, (I believe he was at the Astrodome) he said he was talking to some guy fro NO who said he had seen a barge hit the levee in one spot. This morning,  I was talking to a guy at work and he said (from other sources) they believe a barge did hit the 17th st Canal levee.  :blink:
[right][post="144319"][/post][/right][/quote]

LA. and NO have pretty good reps for corruption....

I heard the barge report, too. Not surprising to me, if it happened that way. When I was in the Navy, we were at anchor somewhere and got hit by one of those quick and nasty storms---we dragged anchor over 1000 meters. In a hurricane, who knows how far a barge can get pushed around?

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Sep 8 2005, 12:10 PM']LA. and NO have pretty good reps for corruption....

I heard the barge report, too. Not surprising to me, if it happened that way. When I was in the Navy, we were at anchor somewhere and got hit by one of those quick and nasty storms---[b]we dragged anchor over 1000 meters[/b]. In a hurricane, who knows how far a barge can get pushed around?
[right][post="144411"][/post][/right][/quote]

:blink: wow... dragging an anchor has to be pretty damn tough... was this just a storm or a tropical depression or something?

how about the genius' that decided that the best way to weather the storm, was to jump in their boats and try to stay in the ocean when the hurricane came through... that wasn't a very good idea...

Archived