Should Marvin Trade AJ - Discussion

McCarron is not worth a bunch of 1st round pics.  He started 4 games for us playing OK on a very good offensive team. That is a great thing to have, a good backup QB but that does mean he is a top 10 QB. 

He almost beat the same Denver QB that recently signed a $70,000,000 deal with Houston Texans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

He almost beat the same Denver QB that recently signed a $70,000,000 deal with Houston Texans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a personal peeve for me. It's something created by media squawking heads in their attempts to find engaging story lines, but QB's don't compete against each other, they play against opposing defenses. And football is a team sport (arguably the ultimate team sport). This isn't tennis.

This is a personal peeve for me. It's something created by media squawking heads in their attempts to find engaging story lines, but QB's don't compete against each other, they play against opposing defenses. And football is a team sport (arguably the ultimate team sport). This isn't tennis.

Yeah but you still must admit there's a viable market for him. I'll bet after watching Jimmy G against Panthers . Bill wouldn't mind giving AJ a go. AJ basically threw the pass that ended a 25 year drought. Only to be robbed of the honors. Had that TD stood it would have changed the fortunes of both AJ and Dalton

1 hour ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

Yeah but you still must admit there's a viable market for him. I'll bet after watching Jimmy G against Panthers . Bill wouldn't mind giving AJ a go. AJ basically threw the pass that ended a 25 year drought. Only to be robbed of the honors. Had that TD stood it would have changed the fortunes of both AJ and Dalton

Absolutely, though my valuation is a bit below some of the extremes here. I also think the Bengals would be wise to let him go if they can get a good offer. This is what many of us have talked about for a while. If you have the scouting in place to identify talent and the coaching to polish it, grabbing late QB's can be a great way to gather high draft picks to keep the team flush with talented depth to facilitate the proverbial "reload" as opposed to rebuilding. The only problem is, unless you have Tom Brady at the helm, it's inevitable that some of your fan base will become enamored with the backup.

Not only do I not think AJ is worth 2 #1's, but I also highly doubt any GM would go out on that kind of limb given available data. On the plus side, a team willing to trade picks for a QB prospect is likely in a rebuilding stage and position of said pick(s) is likely to be early. Trade him, identify the next prospect, rinse and repeat.

McCarron should be traded if we get a good offer, say at least a 2nd round pick. Bridgewater will be back in 2017 so Minnesota isn't going to offer their 1st round pick for him. They don't need a QB of the future, they need a QB of now to beat out Hill. So Josh McCown, Mark Sanchez, Chad Henne, etc. Those guys can be had cheaper than AJ.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

McCarron should be traded if we get a good offer, say at least a 2nd round pick. Bridgewater will be back in 2017 so Minnesota isn't going to offer their 1st round pick for him. They don't need a QB of the future, they need a QB of now to beat out Hill. So Josh McCown, Mark Sanchez, Chad Henne, etc. Those guys can be had cheaper than AJ.

There is no guarantee to that. ACLs take 6-9 months on average but some linger to 12+ months. Bridgewater had a worse injury than just ACL. He could be a PUP guy for the 2017 season and even then he has a lot of rust to knock off. Bridgewater isn't a big runner, but he relies on movement a lot so it will take him some time. They may need a guy to hold the reins for a little bit next season too. That is where the potential trade would come in.

Also reportedly the Browns want a 2nd rounder for McCown so I wouldn't call them much cheaper.

10 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

There is no guarantee to that. ACLs take 6-9 months on average but some linger to 12+ months. Bridgewater had a worse injury than just ACL. He could be a PUP guy for the 2017 season and even then he has a lot of rust to knock off. Bridgewater isn't a big runner, but he relies on movement a lot so it will take him some time. They may need a guy to hold the reins for a little bit next season too. That is where the potential trade would come in.

Also reportedly the Browns want a 2nd rounder for McCown so I wouldn't call them much cheaper.

It's already been announced that Bridgewater avoided nerve and arterial damage. Maybe he is a slow or incomplete healer but the Vikings aren't going to panic right now. If Bridgewater's recovery is slow going into next year's training camp, they'd be more inclined then to find a new QB. 

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

It's already been announced that Bridgewater avoided nerve and arterial damage. Maybe he is a slow or incomplete healer but the Vikings aren't going to panic right now. If Bridgewater's recovery is slow going into next year's training camp, they'd be more inclined then to find a new QB. 

Until they are physically inside the knee performing the surgery nothing is certain. Either way they aren't interested in McCarron sadly.

Archived