Dan O'Brien fired

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='207675' date='Jan 23 2006, 03:59 PM'][url="http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5271952"]http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5271952[/url]

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: [/quote]

I just read it in the Enquirer. That's a good thing.

Is it me or does O'Brien sound like Dick LeBeau did in his press conferences... :lol:

:lol:

I wish I could muster some ounce of caring about the Reds right now, but in light of the way the Bengals lost and the fact that firing O'brien and having new ownership isn't going to resolve our pitching issues....I could care less right now. Plus baseball seems so far away right now. I say thank God for college basketball, and GO SEAHAWKS!

[quote name='TeeBengal' post='207682' date='Jan 23 2006, 04:23 PM']I just read it in the Enquirer. That's a good thing.

Is it me or does O'Brien sound like Dick LeBeau did in his press conferences... :lol:

:lol: [/quote]
Ding!! They both spoke in that Dead Man Walking monotone voice of doom/cluelessness. :D

This move makes me extremely optimistic. The [url="http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9183243"]CBS Sportsline article[/url] mentioned Castellini trying to get Sweet Lou to come up and take a position as special advisor but Lou said he wanted to take a year off from baseball. Maybe Narron is only keeping the seat warm right now for him to come back...or maybe Castellini asked Lou if he'd come up if he fired the current GM. Interesting.

[quote name='BuckWoody' post='207712' date='Jan 23 2006, 06:43 PM'][quote name='TeeBengal' post='207682' date='Jan 23 2006, 04:23 PM']

Ding!! They both spoke in that Dead Man Walking monotone voice of doom/cluelessness. :D

This move makes me extremely optimistic. The [url="http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9183243"]CBS Sportsline article[/url] mentioned Castellini trying to get Sweet Lou to come up and take a position as special advisor but Lou said he wanted to take a year off from baseball. Maybe Narron is only keeping the seat warm right now for him to come back...or maybe Castellini asked Lou if he'd come up if he fired the current GM. Interesting.
[/quote]

I have trouble seeing Lou take over a losing ball club like the reds.

[quote name='Ben' post='207714' date='Jan 23 2006, 05:57 PM'][quote name='BuckWoody' post='207712' date='Jan 23 2006, 06:43 PM']
[quote name='TeeBengal' post='207682' date='Jan 23 2006, 04:23 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

are you serious?? do you remember the last team Sweet Lou took over for?? The devil rays, and they are terrible... at least the Reds have hope and Sweet Lou has ties with the organization.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='207716' date='Jan 23 2006, 06:01 PM'][quote name='Ben' post='207714' date='Jan 23 2006, 05:57 PM']
[quote name='BuckWoody' post='207712' date='Jan 23 2006, 06:43 PM']
[quote name='TeeBengal' post='207682' date='Jan 23 2006, 04:23 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

are you serious?? do you remember the last team Sweet Lou took over for?? The devil rays, and they are terrible... at least the Reds have hope and Sweet Lou has ties with the organization.
[/quote] Lou left because of ownership. Lou would like to come back and make a contender of the reds again.

I heard a portion of the press conference on the way home from work and Castellini said that John Allen and Jerry Narron would definitley keep their jobs for this year. Narron better have a pretty nice year or he'll be gone quickly. :wave:

He also said that they'd hoped to take ownership of the team by the end of November but it drug out until last week. It sure would be nice if they had those 7-8 weeks to look for a new GM. :angry:

[quote name='BuckWoody' post='207773' date='Jan 23 2006, 07:31 PM']I heard a portion of the press conference on the way home from work and Castellini said that John Allen and Jerry Narron would definitley keep their jobs for this year. Narron better have a pretty nice year or he'll be gone quickly. :wave:

He also said that they'd hoped to take ownership of the team by the end of November but it drug out until last week. It sure would be nice if they had those 7-8 weeks to look for a new GM. :angry: [/quote]
maybe they could have gotten theo or someone worth a damn...

Seems like most folks think it was a good move. [url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060124/SPT04/301230015/1071"]Check out the Enquirer poll here.[/url] So far over 95% of the people who have responded are saying it was a good move to fire O,Brien.

IMHO, unless Narron wins 90 games this season, Sweet Lou will be in the dugout next year.

[quote name='whodey24k' post='208021' date='Jan 24 2006, 10:00 AM']i'm glad he's gone, but it's not the right time of year to fire a GM.[/quote]

Well I don't think it's all that bad of a time to fire O'Brien at least... he had no potential trades in the mix, did dick in the winter meetings (besides trade casey), and looked to have no future plans for this club. Might as well get a new GM in here at the beginning of the year to start scouting his talent, and decide what direction to take this club into the future.

[quote name='big_dish' post='207846' date='Jan 23 2006, 09:01 PM']I was pissed when they hired Obrien in the first place. he was the AGM of the Rangers, who sucked, and who had a huge payroll.[/quote]

My sentiments too...

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='207871' date='Jan 23 2006, 09:43 PM'][quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='207688' date='Jan 23 2006, 04:43 PM']
I don't think anyone can imagine how happy i am right now...

:badger: [/quote]

Oh no I can quite clearly, because Im just as elated. :headbang:
[/quote]

me three :D

This is great news, not the best of timing but i can understand why. Maybe there are valid reasons why the Red legs have been almost invisible this off-season.

Archived