Big Blue fans

Storm

I dunno. I think Tubby's a great defensive coach that struggles to coach offense at times. Classy guy. I wouldn't cry if he was replaced, though. But I'm not calling for his head either. All the diehards I talk to say that he's never won anything with his own recruits. I remind them of how hard it is to get to the Championship game, that it took Pitino many years to build his team and do it (invariably all the Tubby haters are also Pitino-infatuated) and that we were one shot away from the Final Four last year. This season is something of an aberration. It is difficult to really pin down what is wrong, but FWIW I think that they simply don't play well together as a team. UK is absolutely the most talented 15-8 team in Div I basketball right now. We have TONS of talent. But we have no team and no heart.....

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='Storm' post='215696' date='Feb 8 2006, 08:01 AM']I think its time for a change

Thad Matta anyone?[/quote]

How many national championships has Thad Motta won?

C'mon dude let the season end before you go calling for his head. Some UK fans are so damn fical, UK can lose sometimes, all teams do...Tubby is a good coach who has had great success, if they fire Tubby it will be their loss as they will be hard pressed to find another coach as good as him.

Are the cats in danger of not making the Big Dance? They quality wins over Loiusville(I bet you didn't want to fire after that game) and West Virginia will definitely help their case getting in to the tourny, and the SEC tourny has yet to be played.

I think Tubby's act is getting old, but Barnhart is an ass clown and he won't hire someone as good as Tubby, if Tubby leaves.

I mean, look at what he did to the Football program here. Brooks is a good Coach, but it's not 1945 anymore -- he's toooo old school.

I would have loved to see what Doug Williams could have done if given the chance.

I just can't see a Coach better than what we have now coming here and bringing us back to a top 5 School year end and out

Smoov, Thad is an up and coming coach and actually out coached Coach K when Xavier got jobbed by the refs in the elite 8 a few years back, also he has done a tremendous job with a OSU team thats was on probabtion. He is a good recruiter and a great coach.

don't get me wrong, I like Tubby but I think he's losing confidence with his players and I question his recruiting and has division 2 talent tying up scholarships

Alleyne needs to be at NKU

Chris Perry, Sherray Thomas and Woo are just not top of the line players that will help you win championships

when Tubby took over, UK was on top of the world now they are bottom feeders and in years to come because of poor recruiting it will get worse

[quote name='Storm' post='216646' date='Feb 9 2006, 08:28 PM']Smoov, Thad is an up and coming coach and actually out coached Coach K when Xavier got jobbed by the refs in the elite 8 a few years back, also he has done a tremendous job with a OSU team thats was on probabtion. He is a good recruiter and a great coach.

don't get me wrong, I like Tubby but I think he's losing confidence with his players and I question his recruiting and has division 2 talent tying up scholarships

Chris Perry, Sherray Thomas and Woo are just not top of the line players that will help you win championships

when Tubby took over, UK was on top of the world now they are bottom feeders and in years to come because of poor recruiting it will get worse[/quote]
It's not as bad as you describe. When was the last time UK had this many McDonald's All-Americans, and we are worse now than we were when we had overachieving 4 year players!
Tubby isn't the recruiter Pitino was for UK, but who is? And Louisville BLOWS this year!
The talent pool is being spread out far wider than ever before, my friend, witness schools lke Gonzaga geting national prominence recently compared to the historical dominance of schools like UNC (unranked) and UK (also unranked). Or Kansas (unranked). When was the last time EVERY team in the Cincy area was unranked? That's Tubby's fault, too?
Tubby is a classy guy, an excellent defensive coach and an average offensive one.
Players he's got now are talented, opportunistic scorers that aren't getting full benefit from Tubby's system, so Tubs is rethinking it.
I think he has earned a down year or two. I hate some UK fans. They are blantantly ignorant and racist. I hate those Bluenecks.....not saying you're one of them, but UK fans need a dose of reality. You can't fire your coach because you don't make the Final Four every year......and it is perfectly realistic to expect that some years are going to be better than others...we are down, but I'm telling anyone who will listen....not only are we the most individually talented 15-8 team in the USA, we're going to be a dangerous NCAA Tourney opponent, because we simply do not miss the Tournament....

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='Bunghole' post='216653' date='Feb 9 2006, 08:50 PM'][quote name='Storm' post='216646' date='Feb 9 2006, 08:28 PM']
Smoov, Thad is an up and coming coach and actually out coached Coach K when Xavier got jobbed by the refs in the elite 8 a few years back, also he has done a tremendous job with a OSU team thats was on probabtion. He is a good recruiter and a great coach.

when Tubby took over, UK was on top of the world now they are bottom feeders and in years to come because of poor recruiting it will get worse[/quote]
It's not as bad as you describe. When was the last time UK had this many McDonald's All-Americans, and we are worse now than we were when we had overachieving 4 year players!
Tubby isn't the recruiter Pitino was for UK, but who is? And Louisville BLOWS this year!
The talent pool is being spread out far wider than ever before, my friend, witness schools lke Gonzaga geting national prominence recently compared to the historical dominance of schools like UNC (unranked) and UK (also unranked). Or Kansas (unranked). When was the last time EVERY team in the Cincy area was unranked? That's Tubby's fault, too?
Tubby is a classy guy, an excellent defensive coach and an average offensive one.
Players he's got now are talented, opportunistic scorers that aren't getting full benefit from Tubby's system, so Tubs is rethinking it.
I think he has earned a down year or two. I hate some UK fans. They are blantantly ignorant and racist. I hate those Bluenecks.....not saying you're one of them, but UK fans need a dose of reality. You can't fire your coach because you don't make the Final Four every year......and it is perfectly realistic to expect that some years are going to be better than others...we are down, but I'm telling anyone who will listen....not only are we the most individually talented 15-8 team in the USA, we're going to be a dangerous NCAA Tourney opponent, because we simply do not miss the Tournament....
[/quote]

Agreed. UK fans need to calm the fuck down. Seriously...

[quote name='Bunghole' post='216653' date='Feb 10 2006, 01:50 AM'][quote name='Storm' post='216646' date='Feb 9 2006, 08:28 PM']

[/quote]

What do we have bunghole, 3 mcdonalds all americans? Rondo, Morris and possibly Crawford?

If coach K left Duke, would they want Tubby? If Roy Williams leaves NC will they want Tubby? what about Jim Calhoun, would UConn be interested in Tubby? I can tell you the answer is no!

[quote]You can't fire your coach because you don't make the Final Four every year[/quote]

No but you have to make the final four with your own players at some point in time, its been 7 years!

[quote]we're going to be a dangerous NCAA Tourney opponent, because we simply do not miss the Tournament[/quote]

So bung, you're happy with just playing the spoiler in the tourney? I remember a time when we were a contender for the national championship every year and now some are happy we are a spoiler? how far have we fallen?

Also I don't like Pitino and wouldn't want him back but I do want Thad Matta for obvious reasons

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote]As Kentucky made its run to the NCAA’s 2005 Elite Eight, national media members began to notice unusual traits about Tubby Smith’s latest group of Wildcats. For instance, no player scored 15 or more points a game. No one averaged eight rebounds. As many as 13 players routinely saw action, often in the first half alone.

This team was selfless and versatile, yet extremely competitive.

Just like its coach, Orlando “Tubby” Smith.

In his eight seasons in the Bluegrass, Smith has won with McDonald’s All-Americans and with unheralded prep talent. He has won with future NBA stars and with walk-ons from within the Commonwealth. He has won with experience and with new players.

[size=3][b]In a nutshell, he’s won.

Over the last three seasons, no school has won as consistently as Kentucky, whose 87-15 record in that time leads the nation in winning percentage (.853) and fewest losses. The Cats have posted a remarkable 51-6 record against SEC opponents (regular season and conference tournament) during that same span.

Since arriving in in Lexington in 1997, Smith has led Kentucky to one national championship, five SEC crowns and five SEC Tournament titles, with six Sweet 16 finishes in his eight seasons[/b]. [/size]

Over his 14 seasons as a head coach, the 54-year-old has had 12 consecutive 20-win seasons. In 2005, he joined Roy Williams (388) and Jim Boeheim (343) as the third head coach to win 340 games in 14 seasons or less. Smith's career record is now 343-120, and his .741 winning percentage is seventh among active coaches entering the 2005-06 season.

[b]He totaled 100 wins quicker than any other Wildcat coach except Hall of Famer Adolph Rupp, reaching the plateau in 130 games. Since taking over the UK program, he has won 79 percent of his games despite playing a schedule that annually ranks among the nation's best.

In NCAA Tournament play, Smith has the sixth-best winning percentage among active coaches, trailing Duke's Mike Krzyzewski and Michigan State's Tom Izzo, among others, with a sterling 27-11 record. [/b]

Even more impressive, Smith has averaged more than 27 wins per season. In the SEC Tournament, he's 17-3 at UK, and he has won a league championship seven times in his 14 years as a head coach.

That’s a pretty impressive set of numbers. But for the man who won the 1998 NCAA Championship in his first year in the Commonwealth, success is no stranger.

Not even the bluest bloods of Wildcat basketball fandom would have guessed UK could have continued its remarkable success after a national title in '96 and a runner-up finish in '97. After all, the team had lost six players over two seasons to the NBA and other key Cats to graduation.

When Smith took the reins for the '98 season, he inherited a balanced roster loaded with role players. An early loss to Arizona dampened expectations. Three losses at Rupp Arena followed. UK then rebounded to win the 1998 SEC Eastern Division title and the overall SEC crown. One week later, UK rolled through the SEC Tournament in Atlanta with decisive wins over Arkansas and South Carolina.

"[b]Tubby Ball," a system of solid defense and rebounding, combined with his chess-match style of coaching, was on display[/b].

As a No. 2 seed in the '98 NCAA Tournament's South Region, UK cruised to the regional final to face top-seeded Duke with a third-consecutive trip to the Final Four hanging in the balance. The Blue Devils grabbed an 18-point lead in the first half and held a 17-point lead midway through the second half. UK's first opportunity for redemption against Duke since Christian Laettner's famous shot in '92 appeared to be over. But when Smith went to a smaller lineup to counter the quicker Duke players, the Cats stormed back to win, 86-84.

UK then rallied from a five-point halftime deficit against Stanford in the national semifinals before winning in overtime, 86-85. Many pegged the contest as one of the most well coached games in the entire tournament. Then two days later, Utah had not only outrebounded the Wildcats 24-6 in the first half, but also led by 10, 41-31, at halftime. No team had ever come from behind by more than eight points in the championship game.

Until Kentucky.

The game plan wore out the Utes, and the "Comeback Cats" rallied to win, 78-69.

Smith accomplished the unexpected. He led the Wildcats to their second title in three years. He had become the first coach since Cincinnati's Ed Jucker in 1961 to win the national title in his first year at a school.

Smith was named National Coach of the Year by Basketball Weekly and Co-SEC Coach of the Year by The Associated Press. The New York Athletic Club presented Smith with the prestigious Winged Foot Award given to the coach of the national champions after each season. In the off-season, he picked up the Parent of the Year Award by Parent Magazine, the Victor Award by the Black Coaches Association and was even voted the "Sexiest Male Public Figure" in a reader's vote in a local magazine. The honors culminated when he was named the Kentucky Sportsman of the Year for 1998 in a statewide media vote, edging out the highly popular Tim Couch of the Kentucky football team.

After earning high acclaim by winning the national title in his first season, Smith guided a team comprised of eight freshmen and sophomores to within eight points of UK's fourth consecutive Final Four appearance. Michigan State prevailed and the Wildcats were ousted in the 1999 Midwest Region final, 73-66.

UK's triumphs in the 1998-99 season included six wins over teams ranked in the top 11 with victories over No. 2 Maryland and No. 4 Auburn, and 13 wins over teams in the NCAA Tournament. When March arrived, Smith's squad went to work, winning its seventh SEC Tournament title in eight years. The third-seeded Wildcats then competed in their eighth consecutive NCAA Tournament, earning an overtime win against Kansas in the second round, perhaps the most exciting game of the tourney. UK finished with a 28-9 record, tying its own NCAA record of 132 wins in a four-year period.

[b]Since that time, the Wildcats have captured SEC Championships in 2000, 2001 and 2003. [/b] The 2001-02 team began with a preseason No. 4 national ranking, but the Cats battled an inordinate amount of injuries and suspensions before being eliminated by Maryland, the eventual national champion, in the East Region Semifinals.

In 2003, the accolades arrived in a landslide a year in [b]which Tubby Smith's coaching ranked among the very best in the 100 years of Kentucky basketball[/b]. Smith snared all seven of the national honors recognized by the NCAA - AP, USBWA, Naismith, Basketball Times, The Sporting News, NABC, and CBS/Chevrolet. He became the first coach to sweep the list since Indiana's Bobby Knight captured all five in 1975. For good measure, Smith added honors from ESPN, Foxsports.com, the Black Coaches Association and College Sports Television.

Kentucky established the nation's longest win streak in seven years, highlighted by a sweep of the SEC regular-season slate and tournament play (19-0), a feat that had not been accomplished in the league since 1952. His Wildcats finished No. 1 in the final Associated Press poll and Smith swept SEC and National Coach of the Year honors. Kentucky ended the season in the Elite Eight with a 32-4 record, becoming just the 11th team in school history to top the 30-win mark.

In 2004, the Wildcats posted a 27-5 record while winning a sixth SEC Eastern Division title, another SEC Tournament championship and the school’s ninth No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, all while spending nearly the entire season ranked among the nation’s top 10.

Smith’s latest UK squad won the school’s 43rd SEC championship while advancing to the NCAA’s Elite Eight. He guided the club, which finished 28-6 and ranked No. 5 in the final coaches’ poll, to a 14-2 league record despite a roster that consisted primarily of underclassmen, including four freshmen among the top nine.

This consistent success has become the standard for Tubby Smith. The native of Scotland, Md., was introduced as the Cats' 20th head coach on May 12, 1997, six days after Rick Pitino announced he was resigning to become president and head coach of the NBA's Boston Celtics.

Kentucky is Smith's third head coaching stop. Previously, he revived two mediocre programs, Tulsa and Georgia, into NCAA title hopefuls. Prior to coming to the Bluegrass, he spent two seasons at Georgia, where he coached the Bulldogs to a 45-19 (70.3%) record and the first back-to-back seasons of 20 wins or more in school history. Prior to Georgia, he coached four seasons at Tulsa, guiding the Golden Hurricane to Final 16 appearances his last two seasons.

The 1996-97 season at Georgia was one his best coaching efforts. After losing eight seniors and all five starters from the year before, Smith led the youthful Dogs to a 24-9 record, equaling the school record for most wins in a season. UGA finished third in the SEC with a 10-6 record, just behind second-place Kentucky. And three of Georgia's nine losses came against the Wildcats in '97, including a 95-68 loss in the SEC Tournament Championship game. Georgia finished the year ranked 17th in the final AP poll and earned a No. 3 seed in the Southeast Regional.

In Smith's first year in Athens, Georgia advanced to the Final 16, where his team lost to eventual runner-up Syracuse on a last-second shot. It was the Bulldogs' first NCAA Tournament appearance in five years. His team ended the season 21-10 overall and 9-7 in league play for a second-place finish in the Eastern Division. In the NCAA Tournament's opening round, eighth-seeded Georgia defeated No. 9 Clemson before toppling No. 1-seed Purdue to advance to the West Regional semifinals. There, the Dogs lost to Jim Boeheim's Orangemen in what many labeled the best game of the 1996 tournament.

Before arriving in Georgia, Smith led Tulsa to a 79-43 (64.8%) record and won consecutive Missouri Valley Conference regular-season titles in 1994 and '95. When he took over the Golden Hurricane in 1991, he had just five returning players. With a quick injection of new talent, he completed his first season by coaching Tulsa to the MVC Championship Game after finishing fourth during the regular season.

Following a 15-14 record in 1993, Tulsa won more than 20 games in each of Smith's last two seasons, captured first-place honors in the MVC with identical 15-3 marks and made consecutive trips to the Sweet 16. He earned the MVC's Coach of the Year award in both 1994 and '95. In his final year at Tulsa, Smith led the Golden Hurricane to a 24-8 record, marking the third-highest victory total in school history, and a No. 15 ranking in the final CNN/USA Today poll.

Much of his success as a collegiate head coach has been measured by his teams' performances in the NCAA Tournament. Smith's 1994 Tulsa team upset UCLA in the tourney's first round before knocking off Oklahoma State. In '95, the Hurricane blew away Big-Ten power Illinois to open March Madness. His postseason success continued at Georgia where the Bulldogs defeated Clemson to open the '96 tournament before upsetting the top-seeded Boilermakers.

[b]Considered by many as one of the nation's top coaches, Smith was selected to help coach the 2000 U.S. Olympic Basketball Team in Sydney.[/b] He served as an assistant to Houston Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich as the Americans withstood high expectations to capture the gold medal.

Currently, he serves on the NCAA Committee to study basketball issues, joining Duke's Krzyzewski and Oregon's Ernie Kent. He serves on the National Association of Basketball Coaches Board of Directors and in June 2000, spoke at a Congressional hearing on the issue of gambling in college sports.

While he continues to make strides nationally in the sport of basketball, Smith's first impact on the Bluegrass came nine years before his national championship. When Pitino took over the Wildcats' program in '89, he sought an assistant coach who knew the South, and one name continued to surface -- Tubby Smith. Smith left his assistant coaching position at South Carolina and joined Pitino's first staff, which had the dubious honor of rebuilding a UK program that had been rocked by NCAA probation and player defections.

With only eight scholarship student-athletes, none taller than 6-7, the staff molded the Cats into winners once again, exceeding expectations to record a 14-14 mark. The following year, with Smith promoted to associate coach and UK still on probation, the Wildcats earned a 22-6 record, a final ranking of ninth in the AP poll, and an SEC-best 14-4 record.

The members of those first two staffs that Pitino assembled formed an impressive group of future head coaches. Smith served alongside Ralph Willard of Holy Cross, North Carolina State's Herb Sendek, Florida's Billy Donovan and Bernadette Mattox, former coach of the UK women's team, while the Wildcats began the rebuilding effort that culminated with two championships in three seasons.

Before coming to Kentucky in '89, Smith was an assistant coach for George Felton (a former UK assistant - 1998-00) at South Carolina, where the Gamecocks notched a 53-35 record during his three years. Prior to his stop in Columbia, Smith served as assistant coach at Virginia Commonwealth for seven years, including six seasons under J.D. Barnett. In those seven seasons, VCU registered a 144-64 record, won three Sun Belt Conference Championships and made five NCAA Tournament appearances. And under Barnett, Smith learned the principles of his ball-line defense, a defense that in three of his first four years at UK held opponents to their lowest field goal percentages since 1962.

Smith began his coaching career at Great Mills High School in Great Mills, Md., where he was head coach for four years and compiled a 46-36 record. His next stop came at Hoke County High School in Raeford, N.C., where he recorded a 28-18 mark in two seasons.

A 1973 graduate of High Point (N.C.) College, Smith was an all-conference performer as a senior. He played under three different head coaches at High Point, including Barnett, and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in health and physical education.

Smith is the sixth of 17 children raised on a rural farm in southern Maryland. He and his wife Donna, have three sons: Orlando (G.G.) and Saul are both pursuing careers in the coaching profession, while Brian is a sophomore guard at Ole Miss.

Smith is very active in the community. The Tubby Smith Foundation, which he established to assist underprivileged children, has raised over $1.5 million in the past five years. Tubby’s Clubhouses has revitalized community centers throughout Lexington by providing computers and training to hundreds of school-age children.

[b]In the summer of 2001, the United Way created a new award - The Donna and Tubby Smith Community Spirit Award. The Smith's were the inaugural recipient of the award for their generous contributions. In 2001, their $125,000 donation made them the highest individual contributor to the United Way in the state of Kentucky. The award is given annually to those who effectively advance mobilization or collaboration to achieve positive impact that benefits the Central Kentucky community at-large. [/b]

Following the 2003 season, Smith, one of only seven men to lead three schools to the Sweet 16, signed a new eight-year contract with Kentucky running through 2011. The deal is worth at least $2.0 million per year, making Smith one of the highest paid collegiate men's basketball coaches in the nation.[/quote]

After reading this I can see why Tubby needs to go, he hasn't done shit since he's been here and the program is in shambles!! :rolleyes:

Tubby is a tournament coach, let him work his magic in the SEC tourney and NCAA tourney. He has earned a down year and if Randolph Morris hadn't declared last year they would be in much better shape.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' post='217419' date='Feb 12 2006, 07:51 PM'][quote]As Kentucky made its run to the NCAA’s 2005 Elite Eight, national media members began to notice unusual traits about Tubby Smith’s latest group of Wildcats. For instance, no player scored 15 or more points a game. No one averaged eight rebounds. As many as 13 players routinely saw action, often in the first half alone.

This team was selfless and versatile, yet extremely competitive.

Just like its coach, Orlando “Tubby” Smith.

In his eight seasons in the Bluegrass, Smith has won with McDonald’s All-Americans and with unheralded prep talent. He has won with future NBA stars and with walk-ons from within the Commonwealth. He has won with experience and with new players.

[size=3][b]In a nutshell, he’s won.

Over the last three seasons, no school has won as consistently as Kentucky, whose 87-15 record in that time leads the nation in winning percentage (.853) and fewest losses. The Cats have posted a remarkable 51-6 record against SEC opponents (regular season and conference tournament) during that same span.

Since arriving in in Lexington in 1997, Smith has led Kentucky to one national championship, five SEC crowns and five SEC Tournament titles, with six Sweet 16 finishes in his eight seasons[/b]. [/size]

Over his 14 seasons as a head coach, the 54-year-old has had 12 consecutive 20-win seasons. In 2005, he joined Roy Williams (388) and Jim Boeheim (343) as the third head coach to win 340 games in 14 seasons or less. Smith's career record is now 343-120, and his .741 winning percentage is seventh among active coaches entering the 2005-06 season.

[b]He totaled 100 wins quicker than any other Wildcat coach except Hall of Famer Adolph Rupp, reaching the plateau in 130 games. Since taking over the UK program, he has won 79 percent of his games despite playing a schedule that annually ranks among the nation's best.

In NCAA Tournament play, Smith has the sixth-best winning percentage among active coaches, trailing Duke's Mike Krzyzewski and Michigan State's Tom Izzo, among others, with a sterling 27-11 record. [/b]

Even more impressive, Smith has averaged more than 27 wins per season. In the SEC Tournament, he's 17-3 at UK, and he has won a league championship seven times in his 14 years as a head coach.

That’s a pretty impressive set of numbers. But for the man who won the 1998 NCAA Championship in his first year in the Commonwealth, success is no stranger.

Not even the bluest bloods of Wildcat basketball fandom would have guessed UK could have continued its remarkable success after a national title in '96 and a runner-up finish in '97. After all, the team had lost six players over two seasons to the NBA and other key Cats to graduation.

When Smith took the reins for the '98 season, he inherited a balanced roster loaded with role players. An early loss to Arizona dampened expectations. Three losses at Rupp Arena followed. UK then rebounded to win the 1998 SEC Eastern Division title and the overall SEC crown. One week later, UK rolled through the SEC Tournament in Atlanta with decisive wins over Arkansas and South Carolina.

"[b]Tubby Ball," a system of solid defense and rebounding, combined with his chess-match style of coaching, was on display[/b].

As a No. 2 seed in the '98 NCAA Tournament's South Region, UK cruised to the regional final to face top-seeded Duke with a third-consecutive trip to the Final Four hanging in the balance. The Blue Devils grabbed an 18-point lead in the first half and held a 17-point lead midway through the second half. UK's first opportunity for redemption against Duke since Christian Laettner's famous shot in '92 appeared to be over. But when Smith went to a smaller lineup to counter the quicker Duke players, the Cats stormed back to win, 86-84.

UK then rallied from a five-point halftime deficit against Stanford in the national semifinals before winning in overtime, 86-85. Many pegged the contest as one of the most well coached games in the entire tournament. Then two days later, Utah had not only outrebounded the Wildcats 24-6 in the first half, but also led by 10, 41-31, at halftime. No team had ever come from behind by more than eight points in the championship game.

Until Kentucky.

The game plan wore out the Utes, and the "Comeback Cats" rallied to win, 78-69.

Smith accomplished the unexpected. He led the Wildcats to their second title in three years. He had become the first coach since Cincinnati's Ed Jucker in 1961 to win the national title in his first year at a school.

Smith was named National Coach of the Year by Basketball Weekly and Co-SEC Coach of the Year by The Associated Press. The New York Athletic Club presented Smith with the prestigious Winged Foot Award given to the coach of the national champions after each season. In the off-season, he picked up the Parent of the Year Award by Parent Magazine, the Victor Award by the Black Coaches Association and was even voted the "Sexiest Male Public Figure" in a reader's vote in a local magazine. The honors culminated when he was named the Kentucky Sportsman of the Year for 1998 in a statewide media vote, edging out the highly popular Tim Couch of the Kentucky football team.

After earning high acclaim by winning the national title in his first season, Smith guided a team comprised of eight freshmen and sophomores to within eight points of UK's fourth consecutive Final Four appearance. Michigan State prevailed and the Wildcats were ousted in the 1999 Midwest Region final, 73-66.

UK's triumphs in the 1998-99 season included six wins over teams ranked in the top 11 with victories over No. 2 Maryland and No. 4 Auburn, and 13 wins over teams in the NCAA Tournament. When March arrived, Smith's squad went to work, winning its seventh SEC Tournament title in eight years. The third-seeded Wildcats then competed in their eighth consecutive NCAA Tournament, earning an overtime win against Kansas in the second round, perhaps the most exciting game of the tourney. UK finished with a 28-9 record, tying its own NCAA record of 132 wins in a four-year period.

[b]Since that time, the Wildcats have captured SEC Championships in 2000, 2001 and 2003. [/b] The 2001-02 team began with a preseason No. 4 national ranking, but the Cats battled an inordinate amount of injuries and suspensions before being eliminated by Maryland, the eventual national champion, in the East Region Semifinals.

In 2003, the accolades arrived in a landslide a year in [b]which Tubby Smith's coaching ranked among the very best in the 100 years of Kentucky basketball[/b]. Smith snared all seven of the national honors recognized by the NCAA - AP, USBWA, Naismith, Basketball Times, The Sporting News, NABC, and CBS/Chevrolet. He became the first coach to sweep the list since Indiana's Bobby Knight captured all five in 1975. For good measure, Smith added honors from ESPN, Foxsports.com, the Black Coaches Association and College Sports Television.

Kentucky established the nation's longest win streak in seven years, highlighted by a sweep of the SEC regular-season slate and tournament play (19-0), a feat that had not been accomplished in the league since 1952. His Wildcats finished No. 1 in the final Associated Press poll and Smith swept SEC and National Coach of the Year honors. Kentucky ended the season in the Elite Eight with a 32-4 record, becoming just the 11th team in school history to top the 30-win mark.

In 2004, the Wildcats posted a 27-5 record while winning a sixth SEC Eastern Division title, another SEC Tournament championship and the school’s ninth No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, all while spending nearly the entire season ranked among the nation’s top 10.

Smith’s latest UK squad won the school’s 43rd SEC championship while advancing to the NCAA’s Elite Eight. He guided the club, which finished 28-6 and ranked No. 5 in the final coaches’ poll, to a 14-2 league record despite a roster that consisted primarily of underclassmen, including four freshmen among the top nine.

This consistent success has become the standard for Tubby Smith. The native of Scotland, Md., was introduced as the Cats' 20th head coach on May 12, 1997, six days after Rick Pitino announced he was resigning to become president and head coach of the NBA's Boston Celtics.

Kentucky is Smith's third head coaching stop. Previously, he revived two mediocre programs, Tulsa and Georgia, into NCAA title hopefuls. Prior to coming to the Bluegrass, he spent two seasons at Georgia, where he coached the Bulldogs to a 45-19 (70.3%) record and the first back-to-back seasons of 20 wins or more in school history. Prior to Georgia, he coached four seasons at Tulsa, guiding the Golden Hurricane to Final 16 appearances his last two seasons.

The 1996-97 season at Georgia was one his best coaching efforts. After losing eight seniors and all five starters from the year before, Smith led the youthful Dogs to a 24-9 record, equaling the school record for most wins in a season. UGA finished third in the SEC with a 10-6 record, just behind second-place Kentucky. And three of Georgia's nine losses came against the Wildcats in '97, including a 95-68 loss in the SEC Tournament Championship game. Georgia finished the year ranked 17th in the final AP poll and earned a No. 3 seed in the Southeast Regional.

In Smith's first year in Athens, Georgia advanced to the Final 16, where his team lost to eventual runner-up Syracuse on a last-second shot. It was the Bulldogs' first NCAA Tournament appearance in five years. His team ended the season 21-10 overall and 9-7 in league play for a second-place finish in the Eastern Division. In the NCAA Tournament's opening round, eighth-seeded Georgia defeated No. 9 Clemson before toppling No. 1-seed Purdue to advance to the West Regional semifinals. There, the Dogs lost to Jim Boeheim's Orangemen in what many labeled the best game of the 1996 tournament.

Before arriving in Georgia, Smith led Tulsa to a 79-43 (64.8%) record and won consecutive Missouri Valley Conference regular-season titles in 1994 and '95. When he took over the Golden Hurricane in 1991, he had just five returning players. With a quick injection of new talent, he completed his first season by coaching Tulsa to the MVC Championship Game after finishing fourth during the regular season.

Following a 15-14 record in 1993, Tulsa won more than 20 games in each of Smith's last two seasons, captured first-place honors in the MVC with identical 15-3 marks and made consecutive trips to the Sweet 16. He earned the MVC's Coach of the Year award in both 1994 and '95. In his final year at Tulsa, Smith led the Golden Hurricane to a 24-8 record, marking the third-highest victory total in school history, and a No. 15 ranking in the final CNN/USA Today poll.

Much of his success as a collegiate head coach has been measured by his teams' performances in the NCAA Tournament. Smith's 1994 Tulsa team upset UCLA in the tourney's first round before knocking off Oklahoma State. In '95, the Hurricane blew away Big-Ten power Illinois to open March Madness. His postseason success continued at Georgia where the Bulldogs defeated Clemson to open the '96 tournament before upsetting the top-seeded Boilermakers.

[b]Considered by many as one of the nation's top coaches, Smith was selected to help coach the 2000 U.S. Olympic Basketball Team in Sydney.[/b] He served as an assistant to Houston Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich as the Americans withstood high expectations to capture the gold medal.

Currently, he serves on the NCAA Committee to study basketball issues, joining Duke's Krzyzewski and Oregon's Ernie Kent. He serves on the National Association of Basketball Coaches Board of Directors and in June 2000, spoke at a Congressional hearing on the issue of gambling in college sports.

While he continues to make strides nationally in the sport of basketball, Smith's first impact on the Bluegrass came nine years before his national championship. When Pitino took over the Wildcats' program in '89, he sought an assistant coach who knew the South, and one name continued to surface -- Tubby Smith. Smith left his assistant coaching position at South Carolina and joined Pitino's first staff, which had the dubious honor of rebuilding a UK program that had been rocked by NCAA probation and player defections.

With only eight scholarship student-athletes, none taller than 6-7, the staff molded the Cats into winners once again, exceeding expectations to record a 14-14 mark. The following year, with Smith promoted to associate coach and UK still on probation, the Wildcats earned a 22-6 record, a final ranking of ninth in the AP poll, and an SEC-best 14-4 record.

The members of those first two staffs that Pitino assembled formed an impressive group of future head coaches. Smith served alongside Ralph Willard of Holy Cross, North Carolina State's Herb Sendek, Florida's Billy Donovan and Bernadette Mattox, former coach of the UK women's team, while the Wildcats began the rebuilding effort that culminated with two championships in three seasons.

Before coming to Kentucky in '89, Smith was an assistant coach for George Felton (a former UK assistant - 1998-00) at South Carolina, where the Gamecocks notched a 53-35 record during his three years. Prior to his stop in Columbia, Smith served as assistant coach at Virginia Commonwealth for seven years, including six seasons under J.D. Barnett. In those seven seasons, VCU registered a 144-64 record, won three Sun Belt Conference Championships and made five NCAA Tournament appearances. And under Barnett, Smith learned the principles of his ball-line defense, a defense that in three of his first four years at UK held opponents to their lowest field goal percentages since 1962.

Smith began his coaching career at Great Mills High School in Great Mills, Md., where he was head coach for four years and compiled a 46-36 record. His next stop came at Hoke County High School in Raeford, N.C., where he recorded a 28-18 mark in two seasons.

A 1973 graduate of High Point (N.C.) College, Smith was an all-conference performer as a senior. He played under three different head coaches at High Point, including Barnett, and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in health and physical education.

Smith is the sixth of 17 children raised on a rural farm in southern Maryland. He and his wife Donna, have three sons: Orlando (G.G.) and Saul are both pursuing careers in the coaching profession, while Brian is a sophomore guard at Ole Miss.

Smith is very active in the community. The Tubby Smith Foundation, which he established to assist underprivileged children, has raised over $1.5 million in the past five years. Tubby’s Clubhouses has revitalized community centers throughout Lexington by providing computers and training to hundreds of school-age children.

[b]In the summer of 2001, the United Way created a new award - The Donna and Tubby Smith Community Spirit Award. The Smith's were the inaugural recipient of the award for their generous contributions. In 2001, their $125,000 donation made them the highest individual contributor to the United Way in the state of Kentucky. The award is given annually to those who effectively advance mobilization or collaboration to achieve positive impact that benefits the Central Kentucky community at-large. [/b]

Following the 2003 season, Smith, one of only seven men to lead three schools to the Sweet 16, signed a new eight-year contract with Kentucky running through 2011. The deal is worth at least $2.0 million per year, making Smith one of the highest paid collegiate men's basketball coaches in the nation.[/quote]

After reading this I can see why Tubby needs to go, he hasn't done shit since he's been here and the program is in shambles!! :rolleyes:

Tubby is a tournament coach, let him work his magic in the SEC tourney and NCAA tourney. He has earned a down year and if Randolph Morris hadn't declared last year they would be in much better shape.
[/quote]

I have to say thats pretty impressive and as a UK fan I am spoiled I will admit but I think his success has come to and end and next year it will be worse, up until recently I was a Tubby backer but I can see the ship sinking fast, hopefully I'm wrong and this season is just a fluke and he will get it together next year but I don't see any game changers coming in as freshman so I doubt that happens, in the meantime mid major teams are passing us as we sputter stuck in the mud.

anyway I guess we can hang our hats on those stats while we watch the NCAA and NIT tourneys while the Wildcats sit at home with their first losing season in lord knows how long

Guest steggyD
I'd like to wait and see if we have two bad years in a row. You never know, we could still win it all. It's not time to fire a coach yet.

ps, not that I see us winning it all, but anything can happen. I think the team does have talent, but something happens to them on the court, offensively. They played an excellent half against Florida, then just came out flat. They have the manpower, but something just keeps breaking down on them. I can't figure it out yet. Also, that young tall, skinny white kid looks promising, if he puts some muscle on him. Can't remember his name.

Thanks to Smoov, Bunghole and Steggy I am ready to swallow my pride and take this season as a fluke. The article that Smoov pasted really had somewhat of an impact and I'm ready to give Tubby some more time and hope like hell he figures out his shortcomings on the recruiting front

I think that is the least we as Wildcat fans owe him

Guest bengalrick
tubby is a great coach, and we're lucky to have him...

but in UK, success is figured up by championships, not wins... we may be spoiled, but I (for one) demand the best out of the cats...

tubby better get his shit straight fast... as a HUGE tubby backer, he is not taking control like he has in the past, and he is not pulling us out of this extreme funk we're in, like he has in the past...

i'm afraid this may be his last year...

Guest steggyD
There we go. See what I mean about the Cats. I think they have the manpower, it's just about getting it done on the court. Thanks mainly to Sparks, but he is a big part of the team, and he has definitely been slacking off lately, especially on D. When he has a big game, Kentucky should win. He needs to step it up from here on out.

Now Kentucky can hopefully play from here on out as if we are already in an elimination tourny.

I figure we drop only one more regular season game to either Tennessee or Florida, win the rest, and finish as a runner-up in the SEC tourney. I think we are in the 6-7 seed category in the NCAA's if that happens, and that is what we will deserve. Believe me, we are a team that NOBODY wants to play in the first or second round of the tournament as a 6 or 7 seed.
This is a down year for ALL of tristate basketball, UK, UC, XU, Dayton, Miami, IU....they all have been playing well below expectations....
But trust me. Tubby's not lost his touch, and he's not a crappy recruiter. There are only so many McDonald's All-Americans to go around (we've got THREE!) and you can't build a good team without decent role players either, which is what guys like Obrzut, Perry, Thomas, Stockton and Bradley are.
But I do agree with Storm, Alleyne is a wasted roster spot. He can't run, shoot, pass, dribble or catch. He's just tall. And that's it.

Guest steggyD
I agree on Alleyne. That kid can't control his long slinky frame at all. Too bad though, cause that's a lot of length going to waste there. Could be a Tayshawn Prince type player if he had any control over his body.

Anyone here think differently now after the 40 point whoopin' stick we put on Ole Miss? They are such a powerhouse, dontcha know....
You like Pernell's Old Folks Country Sausage?
These last three reg season games and our tournament will decide our fate. We've been playing better lately, but....Stockton starting?
I don't like it....but I'll take it if we get the "W"'s.......

Archived