DT Claude Wroten, LSU

[img]http://www.nationalchamps.net/2005/earlybird/pics/louisianastate_claude_wroten.jpg[/img]
[size=4]6'2 302[/size]
[quote][u]Strengths:[/u]
Explosive one-gap penetrater...[b]Good athlete[/b] with excellent quickness off the snap and a burst...Shows a [b]good motor[/b]...Moves well and closes on the ball fast...Has a knack for being around the action...Does a really nice job of splitting double teams...[b]Strong and physical[/b] with a nasty demeanor...[b]Hard worker[/b] who wants to be great...Has a solid build despite his lack of height...Still has a lot of upside.

[u]Weaknesses:[/u]
Does not have the size you would prefer...Is not a finished product and is still raw and developing as a player...Can do a better job against the run...Needs to increase his lower body strength...Will have trouble against massive offensive lineman who can overwhelm him...Struggles to shed blocks once opponents are locked on...Needs to stay more disciplined...Must still refine his technique.

[u]Notes:[/u]
Former JUCO transfer who has never received the recognition he deserves...Top pass rushing defensive tackle who can wreak havoc in the middle and is still improving...Could be a better prospect than Marcus Spears was a year ago.
[url="http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/claudewroten.html"]http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...audewroten.html[/url][/quote]

[quote]After a standout JuCo career, Claude Wroten came to LSU and had immediate success on the field. As a junior, he was All SEC after finishing the year with 44 tackles, 12 for loss, and six sacks. This season, he tallied 49 tackles, 10.5 for loss, five sacks, and 26 quarterback hurries on top of it.

Wroten is one of the best penetrating interior linemen in this draft. He gets an excellent jump off the ball, and has the quickness to get through the line and make plays behind the line of scrimmage. Wroten also displays excellent athleticism and agility to change directions and run down plays. He’s one of the best athletes among defensive tackles in the draft.

His game is quickness and penetration, so if he does not get that initial step, he can be neutralized. Wroten lacks the pure bulk to hold up at the point on a consistent basis.

Claude Wroten has only played two years at the D1 level, but he’s been a consistent performer since stepping on to the field. He has made a name for himself and is a very good prospect for the 2006 NFL Draft. With his playmaking ability and athleticism, he could hear his name called early come April. Wroten will probably hear his name called somewhere in the Top 40 of the draft.
[url="http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/claude_wroten.html"]http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospe...ude_wroten.html[/url][/quote]

[quote]SCOUTING REPORT:
Wroten will be a player who works best in a defensive system similar to Tampa Bay's or Indianapolis' where speed and quickness are more important than size and brute strength. He isn't the type of tackle ala Ted Washington who will occupy blockers and allow linebackers to make plays. However, Wroten can be a nightmare for opposing offenses because at times, it seems as though he lives in the backfield. He has great quickness off the ball. He explodes off the snap of the ball with his pad level low and forces running backs to cutback. He is a hustler and will pursue backs down the line and to the edges. He doesn't have super elite speed, but always is running full throttle which allows him to track down backs and QBs. As a pass rusher, he shows good lateral movement and nifty feet. Wroten also has a good closing burst to the QB. At times though, he gets a little overagressive and can overrun some plays or allow QBs to escape him because he isn't under control. His effectiveness as a run stopper depends largely on penetration. He is undersized and has trouble holding his ground against power running attacks. He isn't the type of defensive tackle who will command double teams.
[url="http://www.draftshowcase.com/ClaudeWroten.htm"]http://www.draftshowcase.com/ClaudeWroten.htm[/url][/quote]

He has all of the attributes that Marvin seems to like in his defensive tackles. Before he was arrested for drug possession, he was being touted as late first round pick and rising. If we can get him in the second round that would be super sweet. BTW the drug charges were dropped, here's an article about it: [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2324440"]Drugs are bad, mmmmkay.[/url]

What do you think about him?

Nice information...Thanks.

I think you're right that Wroten fits the athletic profile that we have 'professed' to look for in a DT.

I'd be really curious to see if he has been interviewed by anyone, including them Bengals...I know that the personal visit went a long way towards getting Henry drafted. Maybe it would take the same kind of visit for Wroten.

If he really is ok as far as behaviour goes, he would be a good value in the 2nd round and VERY good in the 3rd. But the current perception of the guy by our staff is something that we just won't know about until draft day.

Sure...I'd take him in the 2nd, depending on what else is available.

BZ

Guest fredtoast
The fact that the charges were dropped don't help Wroten very much considering the facts of the case. He didn't work out at the combine, and he turned in a vert poor performance at his individual workout.

I prdict that he will fall all the way out of the first day.

Guest fredtoast
Here are how his numbers would have compared to the 25 DTs at the combine,

Bench..........24 reps (18th)
Broad jump..8'10" (13th)
vertical........28.5 (18th)
10 yd dash...1.82 (17th)

I know that game tape is more important than workout numbers, but I still think that Wroten drops into the second day.

All the qualities that we've been drafting lately...

Raw, undeveloped D-lineman (Askew)
Drug and Character issue (Henry)
Will have trouble against massive O-lineman (Geathers)

He's a perfect fit... get him in the first! (kidding).

I'd say if we are able to get an additional 3rd, and he's there, take him with a second 3rd round pick.

No sooner. I'm tired of waiting for a D-Lineman to develop... I want a monster, and I want him yesterday. Make a move to secure Bunkley, or sign Sam.

Or both...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest IndianaBengal
I know that in Jasons draft pick game, I took GW in the 1st. But I have a real good feeling about this guy. I could see the Bengals taking him in the 2nd. Reunite him with Wilkerson.

Guest happyrid
This guy scares me a bit due to the fact that in interviews with him, he seems to imply that he has always smoked a lot of weed.

On the other hand, he was one of the 5 BEST defensive players I saw in college football last year. He seemed to be in the backfield on every single play. He could bring an element to our D that we are sorely missing right now, interior pass rush.

IF Marvin is convinced of his character, I would be all for drafting him in the second or third.

One last point, he may have some off field problems, but on the field he plays his ass off. Similar to Odell in last year's draft and the opposite of Askew in college.

I wouldn't mind if we took Wroten. Like Odell he's got issues. But if anyone can handle this type of player it's Marvin, who commands respect wherever he goes. Something tells though he may still get drafted by the early-mid 2nd round. His quality is that great.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='happyrid' post='252227' date='Apr 19 2006, 09:04 PM']On the other hand, he was one of the 5 BEST defensive players I saw in college football last year. He seemed to be in the backfield on every single play.[/quote]

I guess I may be biased because the only game I watched him play (v. Tenn) he didn't do anything, but his production numbers were not really that impressive (49 tkls, 5 sacks). Plus, his workout numbers were below average to poor. He never even finished a forty yard dash for the scouts. I know that the forty is not the most important measurement for a DT, but when a guy can't even run a forty then there is a problem.

Bench..........24 reps ([b]18th[/b] out of [b]25[/b] DTs at combine)
Broad jump..8'10" ([b]13th[/b])
vertical........28.5 ([b]18th[/b])
10 yd dash...1.82 ([b]17th[/b])

I think he is one of the most overrated DTs in the draft.

Originally, I had Orien Harris in the 2nd; if Wroten (a former 1st round mid-late round pick) were to be there; I would like for us to jump on him.

For those who only seen him in one game; you missed alot. Claude Wroten and Kyle Williams were arguably
one of the most disruptive DT tandem in college football. Teaming Wroten with Adams and /or Smith could only help with our pass-rushing and he is solid at 302 in run defense. This could be a steal, along with DE/James Wyche ;)

[quote name='fredtoast' post='252636' date='Apr 20 2006, 03:02 PM']I guess I may be biased because the only game I watched him play (v. Tenn) he didn't do anything, but his production numbers were not really that impressive (49 tkls, 5 sacks). Plus, his workout numbers were below average to poor. He never even finished a forty yard dash for the scouts. I know that the forty is not the most important measurement for a DT, but when a guy can't even run a forty then there is a problem.

Bench..........24 reps ([b]18th[/b] out of [b]25[/b] DTs at combine)
Broad jump..8'10" ([b]13th[/b])
vertical........28.5 ([b]18th[/b])
10 yd dash...1.82 ([b]17th[/b])

I think he is one of the most overrated DTs in the draft.[/quote]

[quote name='Lawman' post='253459' date='Apr 22 2006, 09:16 AM']Originally, I had Orien Harris in the 2nd; if Wroten (a former 1st round mid-late round pick) were to be there; I would like for us to jump on him.

For those who only seen him in one game; you missed alot. Claude Wroten and Kyle Williams were arguably
one of the most disruptive DT tandem in college football. Teaming Wroten with Adams and /or Smith could only help with our pass-rushing and he is solid at 302 in run defense. This could be a steal, along with DE/James Wyche ;)[/quote]

I have to agree with Lawman. I saw a few LSU games, and Wroten impressed me. I don't know if I would take him in 1, but I sure would in 2.

Archived