• Sauvingon Blanc
    • Chardonay
    • Chennin Blanc
    • Pinot Grigio/Blanc
    • Riesling
    • Gewurztraminer
    • Other
    • I don't like white wine

[quote name='Bunghole' post='494813' date='Jun 3 2007, 06:59 PM']Pussy. Stick to Beringer White Zinfandel over ice and you'll be fine....
:gayflag:
What do you want to know?[/quote]

[quote name='Bunghole' post='494795' date='Jun 3 2007, 06:22 PM'][b]I used to sell fine wine for a living, if anyone wants some serious bang for the buck wines that are actually wines that are considered GOOD by the wine drinking public, let me know.[/b]
Of course, drink what you like always applies.[/quote]

I like Reds too, I just didnt find one I liked yesterday. I had gone to a festival in New Jersey about a year or so ago and found several Reds that I liked. Cant remember what they were now and my bottles are gone.

I just dont like spicey or dry wine.

Guest BlackJesus

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='494757' date='Jun 3 2007, 05:23 PM']century club? :unsure:[/quote]

[font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]100 shots of beer/wine in 100 minutes.

Great game.

You have someone in the circle make a toast with each minute / shot ... and write them down ... then the next day it is fun to see how skewed the handwriting gets around shot 80 .... and what you start toasting too. My fraternity had a Century club board that you could sign once you made it ....

I can proudly say I am on that board more times than any other (19) :thumbsup:

we also later tried bicentennial club .... but I never made it. [/b][/size][/font]

Ah. Depends on what you like, if you're trying to pair wines with food, how much money you want to spend, etc. There are so many great wines out there....and I really don't drink them much anymore, as I have morphed into joe six-pack and am simply looking for a cheap buzz to relax after long days at work in the hot sun so I can sleep at night and do it again the next day.
But if you can guide me towards what you've tried, liked/didn't like, then I'm sure I can recommend wines and wine regions to try that aren't very expensive.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='494825' date='Jun 3 2007, 07:20 PM']Ah. Depends on what you like, if you're trying to pair wines with food, how much money you want to spend, etc. There are so many great wines out there....and I really don't drink them much anymore, as I have morphed into joe six-pack and am simply looking for a cheap buzz to relax after long days at work in the hot sun so I can sleep at night and do it again the next day.
But if you can guide me towards what you've tried, liked/didn't like, then I'm sure I can recommend wines and wine regions to try that aren't very expensive.[/quote]

Ahh.. I tend to lean towards reds usually. Lately been into Pinot Noir and Zinfadel(no, not white zin...). Had some good spanish wine last time i was in chicago.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='494818' date='Jun 3 2007, 06:05 PM']I like Reds too, I just didnt find one I liked yesterday. I had gone to a festival in New Jersey about a year or so ago and found several Reds that I liked. Cant remember what they were now and my bottles are gone.

I just dont like spicey or dry wine.[/quote]
If you say you like reds, but not dry wines, then you probably want to stick to a fruit-forward, lighter bodied wine like an American Pinot Noir from California. The warmer the growing region, generally, the more opulent the fruit presence becomes. The dryness you experience in red wines is due to a compound known as taninns, a naturally present substance that comes from the skins, and to a lesser degree, the seeds and stems, of a grape's fruit/vine.
Certain vareitals, like Cabernet Sauvignon for instance, have a higher concentration of tannins, which produces a drying effect in the mouth. As long as the wine is balanced between the tannic content, fruit, oak and other variables, it's usually OK. Tannic wines are also referred to as "big" because the generally have a higher alcohol content (due to a higher suger content in the fruit at harvest) after fermentation.
Wines like those are the perfect foil for a fatty steak like a ribeye. Try a quality cab with a juicy steak sometime...seriously, put a bite of the steak in your mouth and follow it with a sip of the tannic wine...all the rough edges smooth out and the texture/flavor combination becomes quite pleasant.
Some wines just scream for food.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='494828' date='Jun 3 2007, 07:25 PM']If you say you like reds, but not dry wines, then you probably want to stick to a fruit-forward, lighter bodied wine like an American Pinot Noir from California. The warmer the growing region, generally, the more opulent the fruit presence becomes. The dryness you experience in red wines is due to a compound known as taninns, a naturally present substance that comes from the skins, and to a lesser degree, the seeds and stems, of a grape's fruit/vine.
Certain vareitals, like Cabernet Sauvignon for instance, have a higher concentration of tannins, which produces a drying effect in the mouth. As long as the wine is balanced between the tannic content, fruit, oak and other variables, it's usually OK. Tannic wines are also referred to as "big" because the generally have a higher alcohol content (due to a higher suger content in the fruit at harvest) after fermentation.
Wines like those are the perfect foil for a fatty steak like a ribeye. [b]Try a quality cab with a juicy steak sometime...seriously, put a bite of the steak in your mouth and follow it with a sip of the tannic wine...all the rough edges smooth out and the texture/flavor combination becomes quite pleasant.
Some wines just scream for food.[/b][/quote]
:thumbsup:

[quote name='Bunghole' post='494795' date='Jun 4 2007, 12:22 AM']That stuff is a perennial favorite of mine, cuz it's cheap and I like rustic wines, and by rustic, I mean not hugely fruit-forward, jammy wines like many from the US and Australia (in other words, not a girly wine.... :headbang: ).
I used to sell fine wine for a living, if anyone wants some serious bang for the buck wines that are actually wines that are considered GOOD by the wine drinking public, let me know.
Of course, drink what you like always applies.[/quote]
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

When I come home next, I'll bring the cigars, and we'll have to share a bottle or two.

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='494821' date='Jun 4 2007, 01:14 AM'][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]100 shots of beer/wine in 100 minutes.

Great game.

You have someone in the circle make a toast with each minute / shot ... and write them down ... then the next day it is fun to see how skewed the handwriting gets around shot 80 .... and what you start toasting too. My fraternity had a Century club board that you could sign once you made it ....

I can proudly say I am on that board more times than any other (19) :thumbsup:
we also later tried bicentennial club .... but I never made it. [/b][/size][/font][/quote]

:blink:

The UVa thing was the 4th year 5th. Drink an entire bottle of your choice during/before a football game. I proudly killed a bottle of JD. (and would kill for a bottle of JD now :contract: [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] )

[quote name='Bunghole' post='494828' date='Jun 3 2007, 08:25 PM']If you say you like reds, but not dry wines, then you probably want to stick to a fruit-forward, lighter bodied wine like an American Pinot Noir from California. The warmer the growing region, generally, the more opulent the fruit presence becomes. The dryness you experience in red wines is due to a compound known as taninns, a naturally present substance that comes from the skins, and to a lesser degree, the seeds and stems, of a grape's fruit/vine.
Wines like those are the perfect foil for a fatty steak like a ribeye. Try a quality cab with a juicy steak sometime...seriously, put a bite of the steak in your mouth and follow it with a sip of the tannic wine...all the rough edges smooth out and the texture/flavor combination becomes quite pleasant.
Some wines just scream for food.[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/26.gif[/img]

[quote name='Ben' post='494826' date='Jun 3 2007, 06:23 PM']Ahh.. I tend to lean towards reds usually. Lately been into Pinot Noir and Zinfadel(no, not white zin...). Had some good spanish wine last time i was in chicago.[/quote]
I absolutely love a well-made red zin. I believe it to be California's best red wine. Some of them can be very over the top in terms of their alcohol content/body (some get to around 16% and are port wine-like) or their jamminess of fruit, but producers I would recommend for that grape are Seghesio, Cline, Ridge and Grgich Hills. Seghesio's basic bottling (Sonoma, I think) is a gopod place to start. It should be around $16 a bottle, but well worth it.
If you don't want to spend that much, look for Old Vine Zin from Bogle or Sonoma Heritage Vines from Dancing Bull, which are around $12 a bottle, more or less depending on where you are.
Any and all of you interested in learning about or purchasing great wines need to motor over to the Party Source in Bellevue KY. It has the BEST collection of wines in the Tri-State and the BEST trained wine staff. That is where I picked up much of my knowledge (along with the great restaurants I've worked at), and we tasted wines there at least twice a week.
That place is your one-stop shop for great wine and wine advice.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='494835' date='Jun 3 2007, 06:29 PM']:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

When I come home next, I'll bring the cigars, and we'll have to share a bottle or two.
:blink:

The UVa thing was the 4th year 5th. Drink an entire bottle of your choice during/before a football game. I proudly killed a bottle of JD. (and would kill for a bottle of JD now :contract: [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] )[/quote]
You're on, and....you'd kill for JD? That's TENNESSEE WHISKEY!!!
You apparently need some skoolin' on what real bourbon is like.
And why are you bitching....don't you have access to a multitude of single malts that would make the rest of us jealous?
And speaking of cigars, what's better with that than a single-malt scotch or a tawny port wine?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='494839' date='Jun 4 2007, 01:34 AM']You're on, and....you'd kill for JD? That's TENNESSEE WHISKEY!!!
You apparently need some skoolin' on what real bourbon is like.
And why are you bitching....don't you have access to a multitude of single malts that would make the rest of us jealous?
[b]And speaking of cigars, what's better with that than a single-malt scotch or a tawny port wine?[/b][/quote]
[img]http://www.tequilasource.com/bottles/pics/cuervo-res_0853_r2.jpg[/img]

I don't know enough about scotch to know what to get. But I love a good tequila. I discovered that the duty free shop in the Amsterdam airport sells Porfidio tequila on my last trip through. I plan to buy a bottle on my next trip in a few weeks.

But yeah, I love JD. Good with Coke, better with Pepsi.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='494844' date='Jun 3 2007, 08:38 PM'][img]http://www.tequilasource.com/bottles/pics/cuervo-res_0853_r2.jpg[/img]

I don't know enough about scotch to know what to get. But I love a good tequila. I discovered that the duty free shop in the Amsterdam airport sells Porfidio tequila on my last trip through. I plan to buy a bottle on my next trip in a few weeks.

But yeah, I love JD. Good with Coke, better with Pepsi.[/quote]

I get JD and Coke when I cant get 7&7.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='494851' date='Jun 3 2007, 08:43 PM']A bottle of JD costs about $40 over here. So I stick with the cuban rum instead for about 1/2 the price. Damn good stuff.[/quote]

Or just get the green fairy. ;)

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='494853' date='Jun 4 2007, 01:45 AM']Or just get the green fairy. ;)[/quote]

I love me some green fairy. Good stuff.
[quote name='Bunghole' post='494857' date='Jun 4 2007, 01:50 AM']You need to get to Scotland and go somewhere where they serve good spirits and ask for an Islay single malt, at least 10 years old, preferably 20.
Mmmmmmm, peat.[/quote]

From what little I've tried, I tend to prefer Jameson's to scotch. But I have not tried enough scotch as yet. There's a place in London with all kinds of hand labeled bottles of different varieties. I need to get in there and try some new stuff.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='494860' date='Jun 3 2007, 07:53 PM']I love me some green fairy. Good stuff.
From what little I've tried, I tend to prefer Jameson's to scotch. But I have not tried enough scotch as yet. There's a place in London with all kinds of hand labeled bottles of different varieties. I need to get in there and try some new stuff.[/quote]

Have you tried the Jameson 12 year?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='494869' date='Jun 3 2007, 08:12 PM']Blended scotch is for pussies....

:whistle:
:ninja:[/quote]

I love scotch. Is jameson considered a "blended scotch" and by extension, all irish whiskeys?

Never really put it in the "scotch" category myself.

[quote name='Ben' post='494871' date='Jun 3 2007, 07:16 PM']I love scotch. Is jameson considered a "blended scotch" and by extension, all irish whiskeys?

Never really put it in the "scotch" category myself.[/quote]
It is blended. By nature, a "single malt" means from one batch. Blended scotches (and champagnes ((non-vintage)), non-vintage port wines, etc etc) are a blend of multiple batches to ensure a smooth product and a "house" style.
There's really nothing wrong with them, but they can often lack the distinctive character that defines certain distilleries/wineries, etc.

[quote name='Ben' post='494868' date='Jun 4 2007, 02:10 AM']Have you tried the Jameson 12 year?[/quote]
I seem to think I bought a bottle of this in Dublin at the Jameson distillery last year, but I cannot be certain... I'm pretty sure this was the stuff though. As I remember it was quite nice.

I was selected for a tasting at the tour, so I got to compare JD, Cutty Sark, Jamesons, Johnnie Walker etc. (yeah, I got toasted after a shot of about 6 whiskies, plus getting my free taste o Jamesons that came with the tour) As much as I love JD, I must admit, I really like the Jamesons as well.

Archived