Tom Zbikowski S Notre Dame

Guest Bengal_Smoov

Guest Bengal_Smoov
I know it's a lil' early and all but this who I want in the first round in 2007, he's a monster!!!!!!

[img]http://www.eyetide.com/content/repository/images/ec/01/54/27/1542775.jpg[/img]

[quote]CAREER: Playmaking safety who returns for his second season as a starter in 2005 ... hard-nosed player who has been impressive early in his Notre Dame career ... also could help the Irish as a punt return man ... displayed big-play ability and a nose for the football in his debut season in 2004 ... intelligent player who raises the level of performance of those around him ... is looking for more consistency this season ... solid tackler who also has good coverage skills ... was a standout option quarterback in high school ... veteran boxer who still competes in Golden Gloves competitions.

2005 (JUNIOR): One of college football's finest as a safety or punt return man ... has accounted for four touchdowns this season on returns (two interception returns and two punt returns) ... tough competitor who has lent leadership to the secondary and on special teams as a punt return man ... has started all 11 games at safety and has 23 career starts (all consecutive) ... has made 62 tackles (38 solos) and a team-best five interceptions, four pass breakups and a forced fumble ... has returned 26 punts for 379 yards (14.6-yard average) and two touchdowns (78 and 60 yards) ... credited with on tackle against Stanford, in addition to returning six punts for 34 yards against the Cardinal ... made two tackles and returned three punts for 22 yards versus Syracuse ... made five tackles (two solos) and intercepted a pass in the win over Navy ... had a huge game versus Tennessee, returning a punt for a score (78 yards) and an interception for a score (33 yards) while making nine tackles and registering a quarterback sack (10 yards) ... returned an intercepted pass 83 yards for a touchdown to seal Notre Dame's 49-23 win over BYU ... had eight tackles (four solos) and returned two punts for 15 yards against the Cougars ... returned a punt 60 yards for a touchdown versus USC, breaking three tackles on the way to giving the Irish a 21-14 lead in the second quarter ... also made six tackles (four solos) against the Trojans ... had four tackles (three solos) in the win at Purdue ... made three tackles (all solos) and broke up two passes against Washington ... returned two punts for 31 yards (a 15.5-yard average) against Washington, including a 25-yard return ... had seven tackles (five solos) and forced a fumble versus Michigan State ... made a crucial interception of a Michigan pass deep in Notre Dame territory to end a Wolverine scoring threat in the second period of the Irish's 17-10 win ... made eight tackles (three solos), intercepted a pass and broke up a pass in the season-opening 42-21 win at Pittsburgh ... made nine tackles (eight solos), intercepted a pass and broke up a pass at Michigan ... has returned two punts for 42 yards (21-yard average) with a long of 23 yards (versus Michigan) ... has logged 267:41 of playing time with 97 special teams appearances.

2004 (SOPHOMORE): Started all 12 games at strong safety ... finished fourth on the team with 70 tackles (37 solos) ... made his collegiate debut against Brigham Young and had five tackles, including 1.5 tackles-for-loss ... collected four tackles against Michigan ... was named Walter Camp Defensive Player of the Week on Sept. 19 following his performance at Michigan State as he had a team-high nine tackles, forced a fumble and returned it for a 75-yard touchdown and had an interception against that he returned for 22 yards to set up another Irish score ... had five solo tackles, one for a loss, versus Purdue ... made a team-leading seven tackles against Stanford ... collected nine tackles in the Navy game ... made five stops against Boston College ... assisted on seven tackles versus Tennessee ... made six tackles against Pittsburgh ... had five stops against USC ... led the team with seven tackles (five solos) against Oregon State in the Insight Bowl ... was named the Defensive Player of the Game in the 2004 Blue-Gold Game when he intercepted a pass and was active all over the field ... made 24 special teams appearances and logged 330:35 of playing time.[/quote]

[img]http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/27/271532.jpg[/img]

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='starkesn' post='265257' date='May 8 2006, 10:30 AM']I doubt he falls to #32 in the first round :D

I love him though![/quote]

True but we could trade up, he's worth it.

He may fall to 32. Or lower. He has tons of speed, and is a good hitter, but here is an assessment from a ND fan I am friends with who played college football:

[quote]He bites on play action fakes too much to be a top safety just yet. He does have a knack for scoring, I think he was 5th or 4th on the team in touchdowns scored. Which makes sense since he was an option quarterback in high school. He has always been fast, but he doesn't always play fast, because of the system that the various defensive coordinators have employed cause him to think too much. I think he will start playing faster the more he plays and gets comfortable with the system. The funny thing is he isn't even close to being the fastest on the defense, but the faster guys have the same problem he has that they are thinking too much instead of just playing.[/quote]

That said, I'd love to get him too. And I am no ND fan.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='BadassBengal' post='265403' date='May 8 2006, 03:40 PM']The dude is also a boxer. He makes his professional debut next month at MSG![/quote]

[quote]Article published Apr 25, 2006
Ready to ring in new glory
Notre Dame football star Tom Zbikowski is shifting into high gear for his pro boxing debut.

ERIC HANSEN
Tribune Staff Writer

SOUTH BEND -- There is still no opponent, still gobs of details to fall into place, still the dangling task of buying ringside seats for some 20 football teammates who have already booked flights to New York.

But there is nothing vague or incomplete about Tom Zbikowski's focus as he steps back into his childhood dream -- boxing.

Before Saturday's Notre Dame Blue-Gold Game had fermented 24 hours, the Irish football safety was already in the weight room, preparing for his professional boxing debut June 10 in Madison Square Garden. On Monday, the 212-pound heavyweight was searching out who had the keys to the boxing room in ND's Joyce Center. This morning, he starts his running regimen.

"If he wasn't playing football at the University of Notre Dame, people would probably be talking about this kid as the next Mike Tyson -- or maybe the anti-Tyson as far as behavior out of the ring goes," Zbikowski's manager, Mike Joyce, said at a press conference held Monday afternoon on campus.

"But his skills are that good. His amateur credentials are outstanding. I firmly believe if he would have tried out for the last Olympics, he would have been the United States' representative."The Olympic flame is out for good, but due largely to Zbikowski's decision to participate in a charity boxing event in March, the 20-year-old's boxing options have been reawakened. That second-round TKO of Artise Plaire last month in Merrionette Park, Ill., sparked the discussions that led to Zbikowski turning pro.

The amount of the purse hasn't been revealed, but Joyce called the financial compensation for the bout "more than fair."

It'll be the first time Zbikowski has been in an official fight without headgear, though he has sparred on rare occasion without it. The senior-to-be will be on the undercard of the WBO junior welterweight championship fight between Miguel Cotto and Paul Malignaggi. The headliners and Zbikowski's four-round heavyweight fight will be included in a pay-per-view package.

"I'm taking this as a one-fight deal right now," Zbikowski said.From an NCAA rules standpoint, it has to be. But that's not to say if after the 2006 football season that Zbikowski couldn't sign a long-term deal if he didn't like his NFL Draft prospects.

He has pushed those thoughts to the back of his mind, though, to get in the best mental and physical shape of his life.

Until school ends in a couple of weeks, Zbikowski will train in South Bend and occasionally commute to Chicago to spar. Then it's off to Miami to train at legendary trainer Angelo Dundee's gym, working against some of the top-echelon fighters in the heavyweight class.

"When I fight at the Windy City Gym in Chicago, I have the respect of the other fighters there, because I've been going there since I was 12," said Zbikowski, 66-13 as a amateur with never so much as a standing eight count or a knockdown against him.

"They're people who have seen me fight. But when I go down to Miami and no one knows me, I'm definitely going to be fighting my way out of the gym."He'll briefly come back to Chicago May 20 for his final amateur fight against a yet-to-be named opponent at the Aragon, in a bout that will benefit cystic fibrosis.

"As soon as I found out it was a charity event, I said yes no matter who I had to fight," Zbikowski said. "I have an older brother (E.J.) who had two brain-tumor surgeries. If people hadn't given money (to that cause), I probably wouldn't have an older brother. So any time I can find ways to give back, to give money to charity, I'll help the kids out."

He knows, though, that come June 10, it'll be all business and Zbikowski will be the target.

"Definitely being a Notre Dame football player makes it a lot tougher to be a boxer, because everyone's going to be gunning for you," he said. "There's guys who are fighting just to get their next meal, and you've got some punk college kid that plays football. That's their lunch. That's where they're coming from."

That's not to say Zbikowski doesn't have his own list of "favorite" people he'd like to see in the ring."There's too many to name," he said, "but anyone from USC to start out with. I'm pretty good at holding grudges."[/quote]

Guest whodey 85
I personally am not a big fan of him but I got about 355 days until the draft to think about it so I may change my mind.

[quote name='TheWretchedMass' post='265716' date='May 9 2006, 09:36 AM']Little early isin't it?[/quote]
obviously, but its the offseason...

[quote name='TheWretchedMass' post='265716' date='May 9 2006, 09:36 AM'](and why do people STILL want a 1st round saftey??)[/quote]
you're kidding, right?

I'd rather have SS Brandon Meriweather from Miami U.

[img]http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/09/19/60/image_1160199.jpg[/img]

[b]Peach Bowl Player Profile[/b]
Miami SS Brandon Merriweather
Merriweather is the poster child for just how much blue-chip talent the ‘Canes house each season, particularly in the defensive backfield. Pegged as a backup just nine months ago, Merriweather had a monster spring to soar past last year’s leading tackler, Greg Threat, on the depth chart. And he hasn’t stopped impressing since. He’s had the kind of All-America-type season that folks around Miami expect from their next great safety; the kind of season first-round draft choices, such as Bennie Blades, Darryl Williams, Ed Reed and Sean Taylor made commonplace for years in these parts. Merriweather’s team-leading 102 tackles and 12 tackles for loss, however, only begin to tell the story of his value to this defense. He’s a no-nonsense, old school type, who walks on the field with a swagger and brings the attitude and payload of a linebacker. He moves and is built like a free safety, but when he lowers his shoulder, he’s all strong safety. And when opposing receivers avoid the middle of the field or suddenly short arm passes, No. 19 has made his presence felt without even soiling his uni. Merriweather is close to being NFL-ready today, but until he gets to body slam a couple of those speedy LSU receivers in Atlanta, no one will know where the junior will reside next fall.

[url="http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2005/Bowls/Profiles/Peach.htm"]http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2005/Bo...files/Peach.htm[/url]

He is an emotional leader, good in coverage and a great tackler.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='akiliMVP' post='266183' date='May 10 2006, 11:44 AM']I'd rather have SS Brandon Meriweather from Miami U.

Merriweather is the poster child for just how much blue-chip talent the ‘Canes house each season, particularly in the defensive backfield. Pegged as a backup just nine months ago, Merriweather had a monster spring to soar past last year’s leading tackler, Greg Threat, on the depth chart. And he hasn’t stopped impressing since. He’s had the kind of All-America-type season that folks around Miami expect from their next great safety; the kind of season first-round draft choices, such as Bennie Blades, Darryl Williams, Ed Reed and Sean Taylor made commonplace for years in these parts. Merriweather’s team-leading 102 tackles and 12 tackles for loss, however, only begin to tell the story of his value to this defense. He’s a no-nonsense, old school type, who walks on the field with a swagger and brings the attitude and payload of a linebacker. He moves and is built like a free safety, but when he lowers his shoulder, he’s all strong safety. And when opposing receivers avoid the middle of the field or suddenly short arm passes, No. 19 has made his presence felt without even soiling his uni. Merriweather is close to being NFL-ready today, but until he gets to body slam a couple of those speedy LSU receivers in Atlanta, no one will know where the junior will reside next fall.

[url="http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2005/Bowls/Profiles/Peach.htm"]http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2005/Bo...files/Peach.htm[/url]

He is an emotional leader, good in coverage and a great tackler.[/quote]

I like Merriweather as well, I have a good friend from Cincy whose last name is Merriweather, he would love it if we drafted him so he could get a jersey and all.

Guest Master Shake

[quote name='JC' post='265965' date='May 9 2006, 07:05 PM']Dexter Jackson is very upgradable.

Very Very.[/quote]

We already have a Zbikowski...

...his name is Ethan Kilmer

:ninja:

[quote name='Master Shake' post='266509' date='May 10 2006, 10:10 PM']We already have a Zbikowski...
...his name is Ethan Kilmer

:ninja:[/quote]
:lol: :lol:

He is going to be one bad dude!

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='266183' date='May 10 2006, 11:44 AM']I'd rather have SS Brandon Meriweather from Miami U.

He is an emotional leader, good in coverage and a great tackler.[/quote]

He sounds like a stud. I love this quote.
He’s a no-nonsense, old school type, who walks on the field with a swagger and brings the attitude and payload of a linebacker. He moves and is built like a free safety, but when he lowers his shoulder, he’s all strong safety.
What can't you like about that?

[quote name='BirdmanND' post='266667' date='May 11 2006, 12:01 PM']Tommy Z is no first rounder. Take it from a guy that watches every single ND game. If he has a huge season, he may end up a first day pick, but no way is he a first rounder.[/quote]

Why not birdman?

[quote name='sexybengal' post='268111' date='May 14 2006, 08:46 PM']HAVE ANY OF YOU GUYS SEE NORTE DAME FAN I AM A BIG FAN OF ND I GO TO ALMOST ALL OF THE GAMES AND ZBIKOWSKI CANT COVER ANYONE BUT HE CAN HIT[/quote]LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!!!1111

Archived