Bill Cosby

Jamie_B

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 17 2005, 04:27 PM']I'm talking about assimilation when it comes to being successful in certian areas.  If a certain group dominates an area, to become successful in that area you must assimilate yourself into it.  Eminim assimilated himself into black coulture to become a successful rapper, it works both ways.  In order for minorities to achieve success in certain areas they must either be the best of the best of the best of the best or assimilate into the coulture that dominates that area, in America white coulture dominates most things.
[right][post="93330"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Agreed, but dont you think it would be better if it wasnt a issue of black culture vs. white culture... wouldnt it be better if we let the melting pot melt, and it be an American culture?

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='Jamie_B' date='May 17 2005, 03:31 PM']Agreed, but dont you think it would be better if it wasnt a issue of black culture vs. white culture... wouldnt it be better if we let the melting pot melt, and it be an American culture?
[right][post="93331"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

That is what America was about for certain people until the abolishment of slavery.

I'm not the person to ask, your in D.C., I'm sure you can find some people of influence to influence. I think it would be great but that idea gets lost somewhere along the way throughout history. Plus I like having an individual culture and I'm proud of it, but that doesn't mean everyone can't respect each others culture.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 17 2005, 06:58 PM']That is what America was about for certain people until the abolishment of slavery.   

I'm not the person to ask, your in D.C., I'm sure you can find some people of influence to influence.  I think it would be great but that idea gets lost somewhere along the way throughout history.  [b]Plus I like having an individual culture and I'm proud of it, but that doesn't mean everyone can't respect each others culture.[/b]
[right][post="93402"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 17 2005, 06:09 PM']That's real easy for you say, it's part of my history why should I ignore it?  Especially since the underlying problems that existed during those times are still around today, to say let die is the worst thing that can be done, imo.
[right][post="93253"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Read the next two sentences after the one you highlighted. Im not saying ignore it.

As for assimilation into "white" culture to be successful...you have to assimilate into the "majority" culture of whatever youre trying to accomplish. Using your Eminem example, he had to assimilate into the "majority" culture (black) to be successful in that area (rap/hip hop). There is nothing wrong with realizing you have to be flexible and adaptable to succeed at whatever you want to do. Being bullheaded and refusing to adapt will be your biggest roadblock. Its not selling out. If I wanted to be a salsa dancer, I would have to assimilate into the majority culture (Latino) to acheive that goal.

[quote name='Beaker' date='May 17 2005, 10:52 PM']Read the next two sentences after the one you highlighted. Im not saying ignore it.

As for assimilation into "white" culture to be successful...you have to assimilate into the "majority" culture of whatever youre trying to accomplish. Using your Eminem example, he had to assimilate into the "majority" culture (black) to be successful in that area (rap/hip hop). There is nothing wrong with realizing you have to be flexible and adaptable to succeed at whatever you want to do. Being bullheaded and refusing to adapt will be your biggest roadblock. Its not selling out. If I wanted to be a salsa dancer, I would have to assimilate into the majority culture (Latino) to acheive that goal.
[right][post="93526"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

VERY good point.

Archived