Bill Cosby

Jamie_B

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='#22' date='May 9 2005, 04:58 PM']I'm more of a George Carlin or a Richard Pryor man myself.
I don't like these funnymen (and women) who get laughs through obnoxious voices.
ESP.
Robin Williams or Jim Carey.
[right][post="90260"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yes, Jim Carrey pisses me off. He just makes his annoying ass voices and laughs that are not funny at ALL. It's pathetic how people think he's funny. Meh...

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 9 2005, 05:03 PM'][b]Lastly Cosby isn't the first to speak like this, Malcolm X spoke of the same things execpt for he didn't put his own people down in the process.[/b]  I don't know why Cosby felt suddenly he has the creditials to speak on this or that people want to hear his from him.  Cosby was an entertainer who was very un-controversial his for the majority of his career, now he's the second coming of Marcus Garvey.  Like I said he's making some good points, but he's not offering any solutions and he's simplifying the problems while pissing off the people he's supposed to help.  After seeing Cosby speak last week I truly think he's getting senile and saying whatever the hell he feels, whether people like it or not.
[right][post="90263"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Truly. FUCK bill. Does he think he is making some sort of a positive impact? He's embarrassing himself. Dude has monster money, how about he go share it or start some programs to help these "hoodlums and swindlers" get ahead in life or whatever.
BTW, Marcus Garvey was a badass fat black dude.
[img]http://www.raceandhistory.com/Historians/images/MarcusGarvey.jpg[/img]
He just looks mean.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='#22' date='May 9 2005, 04:51 PM']This man knows what he is talking about.
The war against African-Americans is still ongoing in this country. There was a eugenics program in South Carolina recently discovered, Blacks are targetted over whites as Army recruits, and the war on drugs is retarding progress for fixing the drug problems in this country.
Until the 70s, we were killing the leaders of their communities (Read up on the disturbing case of Fred Hampton), and we were distributing Heroin in their neighborhoods into the 60s.

Cosby is one of the many affluent African-Americans that seems to harbor this antipathy towards blacks who are less fortunate than he is. This whole "I pulled myself up out of it, so you can too" mentality is crazy, since we all know that nobody "pulls themselves up by their bootstraps" alone.

P.S. My vikings will kick all of your asses @ madden. I prefer the Bengals, but the Vikes have a huge advantage over everone else. Running QBs can just tear madden up, and Randy Moss is a beast. Also, Mo Williams (or whoever their RB is) is 2x faster than anyone else in the game, for some reason.
[right][post="90254"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Straight up Bengals for me, but yeah running qb's are the shit on Madden.

Cosby is a guy who "crossed-over", smiled all the damn time, never rocked the boat or expressed how he REALLY felt, and now that he has amassed a fortune he's Malcolm X. However, Cosby is probably donates more money to H.B.C.U.'s(Historically Black Colleges and Universities) than anyone one person on the earth, so he gets much respect for that and he will forever.

The "War on African-Americans" is something that 95% of the population doesn't even know exist, white, black, yellow, whatever and if they know they won't admit it. Most people can't handle the truth when it comes to race and how it affects them, most white people can't even have a honest discussion on the matter for whatever reason. Until white and black people are able to have open discussions and each party tries to understand where the other is coming from no real progress will be made, imo.

Guest BadassBengal

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 9 2005, 05:16 PM']The "War on African-Americans" is something that 95% of the population doesn't even know exist, white, black, yellow, whatever and if they know they won't admit it.  Most people can't handle the truth when it comes to race and how it affects them, most white people can't even have a honest discussion on the matter for whatever reason.  Until white and black people are able to have open discussions and each party tries to understand where the other is coming from no real progress will be made, imo.
[right][post="90277"][/post][/right][/quote]

I think with my generation growing up, most things should be in for a big change. Race relations have opened up, at least with people I know. I've lived in about 4 different places during my childhood so far, and in all of them, i've seen kids who don't take on the traits of their parents, and don't accept the bigotry that their parents try to pass on to them. I know some white kids whose parents don't like black people, but they don't care, and they're still my good friends. I see more cross-race relationships now at school that I've seen in my life. It seems as if it's almost not even a black/white thing. If this is the time for that line between the two to be destroyed, then I'd welcome it wholeheartedly. I no longer assume that someone who dresses up as what one might consider a "redneck" or "white trash" to be racist or whatever, because many times I've thought that before, I might see them listening to their iPod or a cd player, and hear them listening to some damn 50 Cent or somethin. I get wowed outta my head.

So... yea. Just a lil rant. Now, after posting it, I don't even fully remember what I just said. :blink:

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 9 2005, 05:48 PM']As a African-American working in corporate America let me be the first to tell you that racism is still alive and well today.  It's more overt, but it still exist.  Affirmative action is a neccesary evil, the fact that the bucked tooth lady in the white house couldn't understand that is mind-boggling, she directly benefited from it and now she turned her back on it.  To quote Du Bois"The problem of the Twentieth Century(and know the Twenty First Century) is the problem of the color-line."  Until people are willing to have open, honest discussions about problems like this nothing is going to change.
[right][post="90250"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Affermative action is bullshit... a kid with a worse gpa and worse scores got into a college i wanted to go to because they didnt have a enough "minority" canindates but i was the better quality student... I CALL BULLSHIT.........................

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='May 9 2005, 06:39 PM']I think with my generation growing up, most things should be in for a big change. Race relations have opened up, at least with people I know. I've lived in about 4 different places during my childhood so far, and in all of them, i've seen kids who don't take on the traits of their parents, and don't accept the bigotry that their parents try to pass on to them. I know some white kids whose parents don't like black people, but they don't care, and they're still my good friends. I see more cross-race relationships now at school that I've seen in my life. It seems as if it's almost not even a black/white thing. If this is the time for that line between the two to be destroyed, then I'd welcome it wholeheartedly. I no longer assume that someone who dresses up as what one might consider a "redneck" or "white trash" to be racist or whatever, because many times I've thought that before, I might see them listening to their iPod or a cd player, and hear them listening to some damn 50 Cent or somethin. I get wowed outta my head.

So... yea. Just a lil rant. Now, after posting it, I don't even fully remember what I just said.  :blink:
[right][post="90293"][/post][/right][/quote]

first thing my grandmother told me before going to school.. dont trust them niggers spicks and jews........ u cant let ur parents or grandparents hate effect your choices as a human being...........
personaly i think humans will slowly seep it out of society as long as we are progressive about it... But to me things like afferative action dont help matters much because it stirs up more hate and anger between people.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='BengalsCat' date='May 9 2005, 05:57 PM']Affermative action is bullshit... a kid with a worse gpa and worse scores got into a college i wanted to go to because they didnt have a enough "minority" canindates but i was the better quality student... I CALL BULLSHIT.........................
[right][post="90311"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

That's why I called it a necessary evil, if racism wasn't such a problem then affirmative action wouldn't have been necessary. But are you sure it was the black kid who took your spot, how do know it wasn't a white kid who had better scores than you. Sorry you didn't get into the school of your choice but that doesn't make affirmative action bullshit, Chris Rock put it best "White people have had a 400 year head start, if it comes down to them or me I should win by default."

Guest BadassBengal

[quote name='BengalsCat' date='May 9 2005, 06:02 PM']first thing my grandmother told me before going to school.. dont trust them niggers spicks and jews........
[right][post="90313"][/post][/right][/quote]
:blink:

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 9 2005, 06:09 PM']Sorry you didn't get into the school of your choice but that doesn't make affirmative action bullshit, Chris Rock put it best "White people have had a 400 year head start, if it comes down to them or me I should win by default."
[right][post="90317"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
[b]
WORD.[/b]

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 9 2005, 07:09 PM']That's why I called it a necessary evil, if racism wasn't such a problem then affirmative action wouldn't have been necessary.  But are you sure it was the black kid who took your spot, how do know it wasn't a white kid who had better scores than you.  Sorry you didn't get into the school of your choice but that doesn't make affirmative action bullshit, Chris Rock put it best "White people have had a 400 year head start, if it comes down to them or me I should win by default."
[right][post="90317"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

LMAO.. i do agree with chris rock yall should get the tie... no it was a kid i knew. i got rejected he got excepted.. still is a friend of mine... GPA was was 3 points lower then mine. i had a 3.56 and he had like a 3.23 and i got a 1250 on my sat he got a 1050... they excepted him and not me....................... Thats a real kick in the ass if you ask me... and honestly i call that bullshit. because i should have gotten the spot. i was the better student and had better scores.. but they wouldnt take me but they would take a minority with worse records...................... doesnt make sense at all to me.....

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='BengalsCat' date='May 9 2005, 06:17 PM']I think it should be the best available regardless of races...
[right][post="90326"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

It should, but unfortunately that rarely happens. For whatever reason skin color is a determining factor in many decisions.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 9 2005, 07:24 PM']It should, but unfortunately that rarely happens.  For whatever reason skin color is a determining factor in many decisions.
[right][post="90329"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

see i dont agree. i think most people look beyond skin tone now... i see most people jumping at shadows....... and acussing people using and using the race card to there own gain to advance themselfes at the expense of others

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='BengalsCat' date='May 9 2005, 06:29 PM']see i dont agree. i think most people look beyond skin tone now... i see most people jumping at shadows....... and acussing people using and using the race card to there own gain to advance themselfes at the expense of others
[right][post="90331"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

When exactly did race stop becoming an issue? You say most people look beyond skin tone now, when did the change happen. I honestly think race is still a major issue and it hasn't been solved. True some do use the race card, but why is it in the deck to begin with?

LMAO.. because u wont let it go????? i see it being a completely non issue in 15 years at the most... As more people in my generation take control of buisness and the goverment you will see. Everyone i know is very tollerent.. shit tollenrence is practicly forced on you.. but its not a issue for me and people always jump to conclutions....... Why did that guy hit him.. Well the attacker is white it must be a race thing.. Shit what if he just got mad??? i can understand if racial slurs or something got involved. but if nothing does it still tried as a hate crime regardless because the people are of two diffrent skin tones............... So thats not wrong??????????????????? i think so.. I think our system is kind of fucked right now

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='BengalsCat' date='May 9 2005, 06:37 PM'][b]LMAO.. because u wont let it go[/b]????? i see it being a completely non issue in 15 years at the most... As more people in my generation take control of buisness and the goverment you will see. Everyone i know is very tollerent.. shit tollenrence is practicly forced on you.. but its not a issue for me and people always jump to conclutions....... Why did that guy hit him.. Well the attacker is white it must be a race thing.. Shit what if he just got mad??? i can understand if racial slurs or something got involved. but if nothing does it still tried as a hate crime regardless because the people are of two diffrent skin tones............... So thats not wrong??????????????????? i think so.. I think our system is kind of fucked right now
[right][post="90333"][/post][/right][/quote]

So it's my fault <_< , I was born in this world I didn't make it.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='#22' date='May 9 2005, 04:54 PM']Do you recommend Charles Silberman's [u]Crisis in Black and White[/u] approach or the Soul on Ice take on things?

I think we need a balance of both, with modern perspectives.

All of this shit that the administration is telling us now that Social Security hurts African Americans is a load, by the way.
[right][post="90256"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Never read Crisis but I have read Soul on Ice and both are effective, like you said a balance is best.

no man but u seem to bring up the issue of race and how the world is against you because of your race more then any person i know................................ i mean if someone eyeballed u u wouldnt think it was the big ol stain on ur shirt u would think its because ur black..... honestly thats how u come across to me man no offense even though u probly wont like what i have said but thats how u come off man....... Just as i am sure i come off a certain way to u too. But damn man not everyone is out to get you because ur black... thats all i am gonna say man......

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='BengalsCat' date='May 9 2005, 06:48 PM']no man but u seem to bring up the issue of race and how the world is against you because of your race more then any person i know................................ i mean if someone eyeballed u u wouldnt think it was the big ol stain on ur shirt u would think its because ur black..... honestly thats how u come across to me man no offense even though u probly wont like what i have said but thats how u come off man.......  Just as i am sure i come off a certain way to u too. But damn man not everyone is out to get you because ur black... thats all i am gonna say man......
[right][post="90339"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

It's cool, I appriecate your honesty. Because I bring up the issue of race doesn't mean I talk about more, maybe more with you; also I know the world is against me. I've travelled to Europe and Africa and the world loves me, it's Amerikkka that hates me. Why I don't know. But to me you come across as a typical kid who grew up in suburbs and never really experienced what the average black person goes through in America, but most White people haven't regardless of how many hip-hop cd's they've listened to. So for someone who hasn't had the same experiences as myself it's _____ to hear you talk about how racism isn't an issue in today's world when the extent of your discrimination is not getting into the first college of your choice. If no one wants to continue the decision I don't mind, but I think it healthy to honestly discuss your feelings.

[quote name='BengalsCat' date='May 9 2005, 07:17 PM']I think it should be the best available regardless of races...
[right][post="90326"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
What if he throw's a mean curveball or his dad is a big donor? There are plenty of reasons why people get fucked out of school or jobs. It's called "Crony Capitalism" (ask G-Dub all about it). I've gone to plenty of interviews that I knew I had no chance because they already knew which way they were going, just had to interview enough people to make it look legit.

Guest BengalBacker

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 9 2005, 06:44 PM']So it's my fault  <_< , I was born in this world I didn't make it.
[right][post="90336"][/post][/right][/quote]

You're saying it's my fault though. I've never oppressed anyone. No one in my family tree ever owned a slave.

The thing is, even if every white person in the country hated blacks, the things Bill Cosby is talking about would still be relevant. You can't expect good jobs to be offered to people who can't put two intelligible sentences together, and can't read at a third grade level. Blame schools, blame whites all you want but at some point, people have to be willing to do the things necessary to better themselves.

Obviously a lot of blacks are willing to do those things, and most of them end up being succesful. More successful blacks need to support the things Bill Cosby is saying and use themselves as an example of what can be accomplished.

Any group of people that perpetuates a mentality that they can't succeed because someone is keeping them down, most likely won't succeed. Why even try if you don't have a chance. That mentality itself becomes more oppressive than anything someone else can do to you. It's counterproductive, whether it's true or not.

Bill Cosby isn't telling people it's all their fault. He's telling them that it doesn't matter whose fault it is, they need to do the things necessary to rise above it. Pointing fingers at whitey and embracing an anti-intellectual thug culture sure as hell isn't going to help them be successful in life.

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='May 10 2005, 12:15 AM']You're saying it's my fault though. I've never oppressed anyone. No one in my family tree ever owned a slave.

The thing is, even if every white person in the country hated blacks, the things Bill Cosby is talking about would still be relevant. You can't expect good jobs to be offered to people who can't put two intelligible sentences together, and can't read at a third grade level. Blame schools, blame whites all you want but at some point, people have to be willing to do the things necessary to better themselves.

Obviously a lot of blacks are willing to do those things, and most of them end up being succesful. More successful blacks need to support the things Bill Cosby is saying and use themselves as an example of what can be accomplished.

Any group of people that perpetuates a mentality that they can't succeed because someone is keeping them down, most likely won't succeed. Why even try if you don't have a chance. That mentality itself becomes more oppressive than anything someone else can do to you. It's counterproductive, whether it's true or not.

Bill Cosby isn't telling people it's all their fault. He's telling them that it doesn't matter whose fault it is, they need to do the things necessary to rise above it. Pointing fingers at whitey and embracing an anti-intellectual thug culture sure as hell isn't going to help them be successful in life.
[right][post="90436"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Well said.

Also why isnt he allowed to say these things? Wasnt the Cosby show made in part to show a positive and successfull black family? How is his message not in line with that?

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='BengalBacker' date='May 9 2005, 11:15 PM']You're saying it's my fault though. I've never oppressed anyone. No one in my family tree ever owned a slave.

[right][post="90436"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Please refer to post #25, last paragraph, second to last sentence to see what I thought about Cosby's comments.

I had reply all nice and type out, but it got deleted.

You make some valid points but I never blamed anyone, you said it was your fault not me. Here's a good book that you probably won't read but it's very relevant to what you and Mr.Cosby are referring to. [url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0935257055/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/104-6066867-4050331?v=glance&s=books&st=*"]Breaking the Chains of Physcological Slavery by Na'im Akbar[/url]

[url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0935257055/ref=sib_rdr_ex/104-6066867-4050331?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S003#reader-page"]Please click here...Excerpt of the book[/url]

Dr. Niam Akbar has studied this subject extensively and has written an excellent series on this subject, whether or not you accept it takes nothing away from it's validity. Having read this book I can say that not only is this book relevant for African-Americans, but all oppressed peoples in the world. The issues discussed in this book cannot be ignored or swept under the rug.

[quote name='BengalsCat' date='May 9 2005, 06:17 PM']LMAO.. i do agree with chris rock yall should get the tie... no it was a kid i knew. i got rejected he got excepted.. still is a friend of mine... GPA was was 3 points lower then mine. i had a 3.56 and he had like a 3.23 and i got a 1250 on my sat he got a 1050... they excepted him and not me....................... Thats a real kick in the ass if you ask me... and honestly i call that bullshit. because i should have gotten the spot. i was the better student and had better scores.. but they wouldnt take me but they would take a minority with worse records...................... doesnt make sense at all to me.....
[right][post="90325"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Did he have more extra curricular activites?
Was he more involved in his school?
They use these as criteria as well.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 9 2005, 06:32 PM']When exactly did race stop becoming an issue?  You say most people look beyond skin tone now, when did the change happen.  I honestly think race is still a major issue and it hasn't been solved.  True some do use the race card, but why is it in the deck to begin with?
[right][post="90332"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

In my travels, most of the racial disharmony that I've encountered has been the result of a minority's paranoia. I understand the paranoia because it's hard to forget racial memory. Growing up I always heard nigger this and nigger that, and every time I heard the word and the tone that went with it my skin would crawl. I am 34 years old and everyone that I know around the same age has moved passed the attitudes of our parents and grandparents. If I have moved passed racial memory, why shouldn't I expect it of others? It's as if it's assumed that negative racial thoughts are running through my head because I am white. I had a woman come into a store that I used to work at and claim I was watching her because she was black. I was watching her alright, but it was because she had a nice ass. Race may still be an issue, but it is definetly not a MAJOR issue anymore. Bad things happen and they're not all motivated by others people's reaction to your skin color.

Archived