Bill Cosby

Jamie_B

Here are some...from the speach he made to the NAACP...there are more speaches like this but its the general tone of the things he's been saying..

"I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol? And where is the father?"

On fashion: "People putting their clothes on backwards: Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong? . . . People with their hats on backwards, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something, or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up? Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up to the crack and got all type of needles [piercings] going through her body? What part of Africa did this come from? Those people are not Africans; they don't know a damn thing about Africa.

"With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail. Brown versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem. We have got to take the neighborhood back. We have to go in there -- forget about telling your child to go into the Peace Corps -- it is right around the corner. They are standing on the corner and they can't speak English."

On sports heroes: "Basketball players -- multimillionaires -- can't write a paragraph. Football players -- multimillionaires -- can't read. Yes, multimillionaires. Well, Brown versus Board of Education: Where are we today? They paved the way, but what did we do with it? That white man, he's laughing. He's got to be laughing: 50 percent drop out, the rest of them are in prison."

On teenage sex: "Five, six children -- same woman -- eight, 10 different husbands or whatever. Pretty soon you are going to have DNA cards to tell who you are making love to. You don't know who this is. It might be your grandmother. I am telling you, they're young enough! Hey, you have a baby when you are 12; your baby turns 13 and has a baby. How old are you? Huh? Grandmother! By the time you are 12 you can have sex with your grandmother, you keep those numbers coming. I'm just predicting. . . .

"(Why are) young girls getting after a girl who wants to remain a virgin? Who are these sick black people and where do they come from and why haven't they been parented to shut up? This is a sickness, ladies and gentlemen."

wow...the weird thing is that growing
up, rumors had him pegged as being
predjudice against white people...at
least that's what I heard... it didn't
matter to me but it was something
about him buying all the epidodes
of "All in the Family" and kept them
locked up so they couldn't be viewed
again...did anyone else hear that? I'm
sure it's just a rumor and I'm glad
he is trying to educate the people
that need it...someone has to do it because
it is all very true.

The All in the Family thing can't possibly be true. They still show reruns on TV Land. Besides, the whole point of that show was to poke fun at the ignorance of Archie Bunker and racists like him. Why would he lock them up?

Cosby is right on the money with what he's saying. Not exactly the most tactful way of putting it, but his point being that its time to take personal responsibility for the problems in the black community rather than blaming society or the government... dead on.

[quote]Cosby is right on the money with what he's saying. Not exactly the most tactful way of putting it, but his point being that its time to take personal responsibility for the problems in the black community rather than blaming society or the government... dead on.[/quote]

taking the personal responsibility is the key....
the mothers don't care...they don't discipline...
A girlfriend of mine is a teacher in the inner-city
and she says that the kids are not bathed, fed
and the parents just don't care....the sad thing
is, she said that some of the kids that work hard
and try to learn are the ones that the parents
leave behind....she said she's lucky if 5 of the
20 some odd parents will show up for conferences
for their children.

sorry, off topic, but if you want to skip registering for a site to access it, try using [url="http://www.bugmenot.com/"]http://www.bugmenot.com/[/url] . if you type in the url of the site in there, it will give you the info that someone else registered already. Its cool like that and hasnt failed me yet. :D

• 4 months later...
Guest bengalrick
i remembered this old topic, but i thought more people had replied to it... oh well, i found this [url="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/outlook/3172361"]article[/url], and figured it was something to talk about...

unfortinately, cosby's reputation has taken a huge hit lately, b/c he is the only person trying to teach the poor how to... well, not be poor... the article says that these comments pissed off alot of people... do these piss anyone on here off? if so, WHY?!? it's the truth...

[quote][b]Cosby's critique irritated because it hit a raw nerve[/b]
By JAMES T. CAMPBELL
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

BILL Cosby wants to have a conversation with Houston. Not to make us laugh, but to force us to think. He wants us to consider the unconscionable "self-inflicted" pathos that thrives in lower economic communities — low academic achievement, poor health habits, high crime, elderly living in fear, parents who refuse to parent — you know the story.

Since last year, Cosby has been traveling around the country on his own dime with the fire of a revival preacher holding what he terms "call-outs" that are free and open to the public. He mostly wants to talk to parents, particularly low-income and single parents, to show them examples of people like them who are overcoming their condition. He also wants to point out community-based organizations that are in the trenches trying to make a difference.

When he comes to Houston next Monday night for a "call-out" at Texas Southern University, Cosby's mantra will be:

"Our children are trying to tell us something, and we're not listening." Cosby's goal is to shake the poor out of a defeatist mindset and specious reasoning that says, "I have no money, so I have no strength or hope." He wants to start a "revolution" to empower them to take control of their neighborhoods and schools to make them better. That's easy talk from a man of Cosby's ample means, but I submit that his goal is attainable with sustained effort.

"The strength of the call out is not Bill Cosby's speech," he told me last week. "The strength of the call-out is listening to the people who live in Houston talking about where they live, what they were, what made them change and how they went about changing. If all you hear is Bill Cosby then you don't get answers to some of the questions. I am not the answer man."

In becoming the catalyst for a discussion about the underclass that was long overdue, Cosby also has become a whipping post. To hear some, Cosby is a man gone wild, wildly delusional, particularly after his comments last year during a tribute to the U.S. Supreme Court's Brown v. Board of Education decision.

[b]Cosby erupted in what some thought was a spontaneous combustion of mindlessness when he remarked: "Ladies and gentlemen, the lower-economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids — $500 sneakers, for what? — and won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics. They're standing on the corner, and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is.' ... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. ... You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"[/b]

Suffice to say, most did not know what to make of Cosby's headlong drive into a social debate that long had been driven by what Cosby calls "poverty pimps."

[b]While some blacks welcomed Cosby's message, others, white liberals included, thought it fanciful and simplistic.[/b]

[b]Conversely, conservatives co-opted Cosby's message and used it to further incriminate those in the underclass for not pulling themselves up by the strings on their $500 Nike sneakers. They've all missed the point, according to Cosby.[/b]

"These people are the first ones to start screaming because they knew when they heard what I was saying that there was a chance they would lose their gig," Cosby said. "People in the neighborhood have to teach people where they're self-inflicting, and you do this through word of mouth and through example.

[b]"As long as you have people who are saying 'yeah but,' ," Cosby continued, "and as long as we keep waiting for not only the white man but the black man who is in charge of the gifts that we're getting, as long as we are waiting for these people, we also, while taking from them, we also have to give them something in return — and that is our souls."[/b]

Cosby is attempting to fundamentally change the approach that lower income and poor minorities use to overcome their circumstances. No one of his status has endeavored to take on this very critical paradigm shift. But whether you live in River Oaks or the Fifth Ward, helping the city's underclass to overcome its condition ultimately will benefit us all. The conversation with Bill Cosby is but a starting place. Where it will end is anyone's guess.

In next week's Sounding Board, I'll discuss a conversation in which Cosby describes what he thinks it will take to sustain positive change in poor neighborhoods, which he hopes will occur after his town hall meeting in Houston.

Campbell is the Chronicle's Reader Representative and a member of the Editorial Board.[/quote]

[quote name='bengalrick' date='May 9 2005, 03:20 PM']i remembered this old topic, but i thought more people had replied to it... oh well, i found this [url="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/outlook/3172361"]article[/url], and figured it was something to talk about...

unfortinately, cosby's reputation has taken a huge hit lately, b/c he is the only person trying to teach the poor how to... well, not be poor... the article says that these comments pissed off alot of people... do these piss anyone on here off? if so, WHY?!? it's the truth...
[right][post="90191"][/post][/right][/quote]

The addage "The truth hurts" comes to mind. <_<

Guest Bengal_Smoov
I recently attended a benefit dinner for these 3 guys from a bad nieghborhood who made a pact to become doctors, they did and now they travel across the nation telling their story and raising money. The Coz was the keynote speaker and I can tell you the man is getting senile in his old age. He's become this rebel after being the smiling Jello salesman for so many years, strange transition.

The thing about Coz is that he is simplifying very complex problems and telling people about themselves in a not-so-tactful way. Everybody has things about themselves and their culture they could improve upon, telling people about it in a in-your-face, take-it-or-leave-it type of manner isn't going to open many minds. I respect the Coz, the Cosby Show is the best T.V. show of all time, I still laugh the same episodes that made me laugh when I was a kid but he needs to find a better method of getting the word out.

thats the biggest load of crap i ever heard. He is telling the absolute truth and people dont like it. For whatever reason, some people in the inner city decide to talk like they are morons and it has stuck and people think it is cool. You dont just talk like that, you have to try. Its just like gay people talking very feminine and with a lisp.

no one wants to put in the effort to try and make their lives better and they try to blame everyone except themselves. "We didnt have a chance to get out of the ghetto, i was a single mom and had to raise my 14 kids and none of their daddies was supportin us." How about you close your fucking legs slut and get a job and stay in school.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 9 2005, 02:55 PM']I recently attended a benefit dinner for these 3 guys from a bad nieghborhood who made a pact to become doctors, they did and now they travel across the nation telling their story and raise money.  The Coz was the keynote speaker and I can tell you the man is getting senile in his old age.  He's become this rebel after being the smiling Jello salesman for so many years, strange transition. 

The thing about Coz is that he is simplifying very complex problems and telling people about themselves in a not-so-tactful way.  Everybody has things about themselves and their culture they could improve upon, telling people about it in a in-your-face, take-it-or-leave-it type of manner isn't going to open my minds.  I respect the Coz, the Cosby Show is the best T.V. show of all time, I still laugh the same episodes that made me laugh when I was a kid but he needs to find a better method of getting the word out.
[right][post="90210"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

The Dr. Spock, skirting around the issues tactic sure hasn't seemed to work. We all eventually need someone in our face to wake us up.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='whodey319' date='May 9 2005, 03:06 PM']thats the biggest load of crap i ever heard.  He is telling the absolute truth and people dont like it.  For whatever reason, some people in the inner city decide to talk like they are morons and it has stuck and people think it is cool.  You dont just talk like that, you have to try.  Its just like gay people talking very feminine and with a lisp. 

no one wants to put in the effort to try and make their lives better and they try to blame everyone except themselves.  "We didnt have a chance to get out of the ghetto, i was a single mom and had to raise my 14 kids and none of their daddies was supportin us."  How about you close your fucking legs slut and get a job and stay in school.
[right][post="90217"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Your ignorance is laughable, what research have you done to come to this conclusion. What do you know of the history of African-Americans, you really need to think more before you type when it comes to this topic. That post is so damn ingorant I don't know were to begin or how to respond to it, so I won't. But you really have no clue, but if you want a clue here's a good place to start.[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/014018998X/qid=1115666793/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-0762319-5435263?v=glance&s=books&n=507846"]Souls of Black Folks...[/url]
or [url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/086543171X/ref=pd_sim_books_2/002-0762319-5435263?v=glance&s=books"]Mis-Education of the Negro[/url] or[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0935257055/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/002-0762319-5435263?v=glance&s=books&st=*"]Breaking the Chains of Psychological Slavery[/url]

All 3 are good books, I'm re-reading the "Souls of Black Folk' now and it's simply amazing that this book was written about 100 years ago.

Btw, you still want to play in Madden online?

I think the reason he is getting a lot of heat is because many times it seems like he is making generalizations about people in the inner-city. The problems aren't that simple and didn't just sprout up, they have been growing for a long time now and will not fix themselves. Many people are also using his own statements as evidence for their own prejudices ("Bill Cosby even agrees and he's black"). What should be talked about are solutions and the fact that it is not limited to the inner-city. You find the same problems throughout each race or ethnicity (lack of leadership in communities, responsible parenting, importance of education). I do agree with a lot of what he says, although I can understand why people may be angered at his delivery.

Guest bengalrick
this is obviously an extremely touchy subject for some, but since this isn't a "your a fuckin' racist" board, (at least to me) i think i'll throw in some of my own perceptions... right, wrong, or indifferent...

things like welfare and affirmative action are crippling the african american communities imo... many have mentioned that this is a complex problem that bill cosby has made into a simple problem... i agree w/ that statement, but at the same time, who really can understand the full problem... at least bill is bringing up some extremely good points to think about...

back to my point though, anyone that has been through an extremely tough period knows that the saying "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" is a pretty accurate statement... you would think that going through bad times would wear you down, but it actually hardens you up... you learn to improvise... the last thing i'm saying is that affirmative action was never necessary b/c my grandparents and their parents and down the line were racist as fuck... it was a necessarily thing for minorities to get an even shake in the workplace...

but that was in the past imo... racism is and always will be an issue, but i don't think that affirmative action is necessary anymore... if a company is even implemented w/ a form of racism, and they are shit up a creek...

w/ welfare, it is practically useless... in its most general sense, we want to keep the poor and single mothers/fathers having money, but what incentive do they have to get a job? absolutely none... and the more kids they have, the more money they get every month... i don't see how this will strengthen up anyone...

cosby is speaking like noone else has ever done, and i am personally grateful for it... someone needed to...

just my take...

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='bengalrick' date='May 9 2005, 04:24 PM']this is obviously an extremely touchy subject for some, but since this isn't a "your a fuckin' racist" board, (at least to me) i think i'll throw in some of my own perceptions... right, wrong, or indifferent...

things like welfare and affirmative action are crippling the african american communities imo... many have mentioned that this is a complex problem that bill cosby has made into a simple problem... i agree w/ that statement, but at the same time, who really can understand the full problem... at least bill is bringing up some extremely good points to think about...

back to my point though, anyone that has been through an extremely tough period knows that the saying "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" is a pretty accurate statement... you would think that going through bad times would wear you down, but it actually hardens you up... you learn to improvise... the last thing i'm saying is that affirmative action was never necessary b/c my grandparents and their parents and down the line were racist as fuck... it was a necessarily thing for minorities to get an even shake in the workplace...

[b]but that was in the past imo... racism is and always will be an issue, but i don't think that affirmative action is necessary anymore... if a company is even implemented w/ a form of racism, and they are shit up a creek...[/b]

w/ welfare, it is practically useless... [b]in its most general sense, we want to keep the poor and single mothers/fathers having money, but what incentive do they have to get a job? absolutely none... and the more kids they have, the more money they get every month.[/b].. i don't see how this will strengthen up anyone...

cosby is speaking like noone else has ever done, and i am personally grateful for it... someone needed to...

just my take...
[right][post="90241"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

As a African-American working in corporate America let me be the first to tell you that racism is still alive and well today. It's more overt, but it still exist. Affirmative action is a neccesary evil, the fact that the bucked tooth lady in the white house couldn't understand that is mind-boggling, she directly benefited from it and now she turned her back on it. To quote Du Bois"The problem of the Twentieth Century(and now the Twenty First Century) is the problem of the color-line." Until people are willing to have open, honest discussions about problems like this nothing is going to change.

Guest #22
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 9 2005, 04:38 PM']Your ignorance is laughable, what research have you done to come to this conclusion.  What do you know of the history of African-Americans, you really need to think more before you type when it comes to this topic.  That post is so damn ingorant I don't know were to begin or how to respond to it, so I won't.  But you really have no clue, but if you want a clue here's a good place to start.[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/014018998X/qid=1115666793/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-0762319-5435263?v=glance&s=books&n=507846"]Souls of Black Folks...[/url]
or [url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/086543171X/ref=pd_sim_books_2/002-0762319-5435263?v=glance&s=books"]Mis-Education of the Negro[/url] or[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0935257055/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/002-0762319-5435263?v=glance&s=books&st=*"]Breaking the Chains of Psychological Slavery[/url]
All 3 are good books, I'm re-reading the "Souls of Black Folk' now and it's simply amazing that this book was written about 100 years ago.
Btw, you still want to play in Madden online?
[right][post="90226"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
This man knows what he is talking about.
The war against African-Americans is still ongoing in this country. There was a eugenics program in South Carolina recently discovered, Blacks are targetted over whites as Army recruits, and the war on drugs is retarding progress for fixing the drug problems in this country.
Until the 70s, we were killing the leaders of their communities (Read up on the disturbing case of Fred Hampton), and we were distributing Heroin in their neighborhoods into the 60s.

Cosby is one of the many affluent African-Americans that seems to harbor this antipathy towards blacks who are less fortunate than he is. This whole "I pulled myself up out of it, so you can too" mentality is crazy, since we all know that nobody "pulls themselves up by their bootstraps" alone.

P.S. My vikings will kick all of your asses @ madden. I prefer the Bengals, but the Vikes have a huge advantage over everone else. Running QBs can just tear madden up, and Randy Moss is a beast. Also, Mo Williams (or whoever their RB is) is 2x faster than anyone else in the game, for some reason.

Guest #22
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 9 2005, 05:48 PM']Until people are willing to have open, honest discussions about problems like this nothing is going to change.
[right][post="90250"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Do you recommend Charles Silberman's [u]Crisis in Black and White[/u] approach or the Soul on Ice take on things?

I think we need a balance of both, with modern perspectives.

All of this shit that the administration is telling us now that Social Security hurts African Americans is a load, by the way.

Guest #22
I'm more of a George Carlin or a Richard Pryor man myself.
I don't like these funnymen (and women) who get laughs through obnoxious voices.
ESP.
Robin Williams or Jim Carey.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='bengalrick' date='May 9 2005, 04:24 PM']this is obviously an extremely touchy subject for some, but since this isn't a "your a fuckin' racist" board, (at least to me) i think i'll throw in some of my own perceptions... right, wrong, or indifferent...

[b]but that was in the past imo... racism is and always will be an issue, but i don't think that affirmative action is necessary anymore... if a company is even implemented w/ a form of racism, and they are shit up a creek...[/b]

w/ welfare, it is practically useless... [b]in its most general sense, we want to keep the poor and single mothers/fathers having money, but what incentive do they have to get a job? absolutely none... and the more kids they have, the more money they get every month.[/b].. i don't see how this will strengthen up anyone...

just my take...
[right][post="90241"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

As a African-American working in corporate America let me be the first to tell you that racism is still alive and well today. It's more overt, but it still exist. Affirmative action is a neccesary evil, the fact that the bucked tooth lady in the white house couldn't understand that is mind-boggling, she directly benefited from it and now she turned her back on it. To quote Du Bois"The problem of the Twentieth Century(and now the Twenty First Century) is the problem of the color-line." Until people are willing to have open, honest discussions about problems like this nothing is going to change.

The welfare system is flawed and needs to be revised, imo. It punishes peoole who get a jobs by removing their benefits, but in most cases the jobs they get aren't enough to provide, so why work? They should give families who are making less than 20k or whatever a supplement, reward those who help themselves. If some single parent mother who has no college education is on welfare and she gets a job paying slightly above miniuim wage she is removed from welfare, but the lady who does nothing gets a check every month, that's not right. Also I think government should give the jobs that the illegal immigrants are taking to the welfare reciepiants, I'm sure that would give them some motivation to improve their lifestyle.

Lastly Cosby isn't the first to speak like this, Malcolm X spoke of the same things execpt for he didn't put his own people down in the process. I don't know why Cosby felt suddenly he has the creditials to speak on this or that people want to hear his from him. Cosby was an entertainer who was very un-controversial his for the majority of his career, now he's the second coming of Marcus Garvey. It would be like Wayne Brady telling black people how to succeed in life. Like I said he's making some good points, but he's not offering any solutions and he's simplifying the problems while pissing off the people he's supposed to help. After seeing Cosby speak last week I truly think he's getting senile and saying whatever the hell he feels, whether people like it or not.

Archived