Bill Cosby

Jamie_B

Guest Bengal_Smoov
I would have replied sooner but yesterday and today have been busy for me at work and last night I read a relationship book with my fianace`by some guy whose first name was Gay, not a coincedence if you ask me.

First off let me say this: I'm not calling anyone racist nor do I want pity.

I know that the current generation has made strides and thing are slowly getting better, however racism in America is still a problem and it's definitely not a minor issue as some would say( and me posting about it isn't the problem). To me, it's hard to accept some people telling me that racism/prejudice isn't a major issue or it doesn't exist when they never had to deal with it on the level that some do.Just because you've never seen it or experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The stats BengalBacker posted are extremely flawed because they include Latinos as white, the same Latinos that refer to themselves as "niggas".

I do support reparations for African-Americans because of slavery, every other race has recieved them for less(Japanese & Jews). People say "well there's welfare"..... more whites benefit from welfare than African-Americans regardless of the steroetype that exist; so welfare is not reparations.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 11 2005, 02:53 PM']The stats BengalBacker posted are extremely flawed because they include Latinos as white, the same Latinos that refer to themselves as "niggas".

[right][post="91055"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I didn't post any stats. I just posted a link to what you get if you type in "black on white crime" into google. That gives you lots of links you can go to. Many stats are flawed regarding Latinos though. Particularly hate crime stats. If you read some of the links, when a white assaults a Latino, it's usually considered racial. When a Latino assaults a white, it's usually considered white on white. The stats are flawed against whites.

[quote]I do support reparations for African-Americans because of slavery, every other race has recieved them for less(Japanese & Jews). People say "well there's welfare"..... more whites benefit from welfare than African-Americans regardless of the steroetype that exist; so welfare is not reparations.[/quote]

No disrepect intended smoov, but how do reparations heal any wound? Like I said before Ive got some Blackfoot blood in me, if I so desired I could complain that the "white" man took my land, raped my women, and destroyed my culture. Giving me money becuase of that would be no better than a slap in my face. Quite frankly I would think you'd feel the same. However, probally not unlike you, I have other nationalites as part of my heritige I have German (should I be held accountable for the actions of Hitler?) and English (England has a long histroy of taking land that didnt belong to them, should I be held accountable for that?) blood as well. I frankly find reparations insulting, and am supprised that more dont.

Guest bengalrick

smoov, as much as we might disagree, and i don't even agree w/ some of what is written here, i respect your opinion and can see your point... one thing is i don't see racism everyday... as a matter of fact, i rarely see it... though i live in a prodominently white neighborhood, i work very close to cincinnati, and work w/ many black people... like i said, i personally don't see racism around me, but that's b/c i'm not racist...

to have to deal w/ that would be absolutetly miserable... as a "white boy" i get made fun of (indirectly) everyday on tv when they put the stereotypical white guy on there that is a fuckin' nerd... that kinda sucks, but i laugh too so i guess it's not that bad... if i had to deal w/ someone prejudice b/c of the color of my skin, i would be pissed off too...

in other words, i can't say that there isn't racism in america (i know there is, but the extent of it, i don't know) b/c i don't deal w/ it often... i will take your word for it (in this case :) ) b/c you would know better...

now that i have gotten all that out, i think both races are missing the point in general... i have mentioned what i believe that i was missing, which is i don't see it everyday, so it's hard to talk specifically about what to do to accept it... i don't know that i would ever accept it either...

the point that i would like to make to african americans, is not every white dude is racist... but everything that happens to someone that is african american, is not b/c they are black... shitty stuff happens to me everyday... i got raided about a year ago and someone told them i was selling drugs like heroin and coke... i haven't even tried either thing, nor would i ever... if that happened to a black man, would they assume that is racism? almost definatly...

the last thing i'm saying is to ignore it, but don't use that excuse for everything that goes bad... that is the problem imo... it is used as a crutch, and if you use a crutch in life, you won't get stronger... i go back to the saying "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" but should add, unless you make excuses and blame everyone else...

and about the reprations... i can't take back what my ancestors may or may not have done... i can appolgize for the torcher that your ancestors went through... but i will not pay my taxes to fund a whole race, that has gone through nothing of the sort... there is some forms of racism, but they don't deal w/ slavery now a days... sorry, but i'll never agree that reprations are the ticket... that is throwing money at a problem, which will never solve it... solving it would require looking at everything logically and not w/ the pre-precieved notion that everyone is out to get you...

i have a question smoov, and i'm not being a smartass: are you being held back at your workplace, in your opinion, b/c of the color of your skin? you seem like a smart dude w/ a good head on his shoulder (besides the bush hating thing :) ) and i want to know if you have problems getting promotions...

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='May 11 2005, 03:11 PM']No disrepect intended smoov, but how do reparations heal any wound? Like I said before Ive got some Blackfoot blood in me, if I so desired I could complain that the "white" man took my land, raped my women, and destroyed my culture. Giving me money becuase of that would be no better than a slap in my face. Quite frankly I would think you'd feel the same. However, probally not unlike you, I have other nationalites as part of my heritige I have German (should I be held accountable for the actions of Hitler?) and English (England has a long histroy of taking land that didnt belong to them, should I be held accountable for that?) blood as well. I frankly find reparations insulting, and am supprised that more dont.
[right][post="91067"][/post][/right][/quote]

i have a conflicting heritage... my moms side is mostly english and german... my dads side is mostly scottish... for all i know, my moms side of the family, could have raped someone in my dads side of the family 100 years before they both decided to come to america... we can't be blamed for our ancestors faults...

btw, i also have 1/16 cherokee... wheres my check bitches? :D

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='Jamie_B' date='May 11 2005, 03:11 PM']No disrepect intended smoov, but how do reparations heal any wound? Like I said before Ive got some Blackfoot blood in me, if I so desired I could complain that the "white" man took my land, raped my women, and destroyed my culture. Giving me money becuase of that would be no better than a slap in my face. Quite frankly I would think you'd feel the same. However, probally not unlike you, I have other nationalites as part of my heritige I have German (should I be held accountable for the actions of Hitler?) and English (England has a long histroy of taking land that didnt belong to them, should I be held accountable for that?) blood as well. I frankly find reparations insulting, and am supprised that more dont.
[right][post="91067"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Jamie I've got other races in my heritage as well, interestingly enough German and Native American as well. You say reparations don't heal any wounds, but they do right a wrong.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1886433186/qid=1115839662/sr=8-3/ref=pd_csp_3/002-0762319-5435263?v=glance&s=books&n=507846"]Columbus and the Afrikan Holocaust:Slavery and the Rise of European Capitialism.[/url]

This is a book that will explain the reason for reparations, especially for African-Americans.

This is a summary of the book:
[quote]Professor Clarke’s analysis provides us with a perspective that lets us understand that slavery and genocide were institutionalized and systematized into a global system of domination, destruction and death, by means of which the Europeans gained control of land, labor, and resources and also colonialized information –and thereby, our conscience--as well.[/quote]

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 11 2005, 04:57 PM']Jamie I've got other races in my heritage as well, interestingly enough German and Native American as well.  [b]You say reparations don't heal any wounds, but they do right a wrong. [/b]

[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1886433186/qid=1115839662/sr=8-3/ref=pd_csp_3/002-0762319-5435263?v=glance&s=books&n=507846"]Columbus and the Afrikan Holocaust:Slavery and the Rise of European Capitialism.[/url]
This is a book that will explain the reason for reparations, especially for African-Americans.

[right][post="91082"][/post][/right][/quote]

Maybee, but speaking for myself I'd feel insulted if you gave me money as an appology (which is my understanding of what repreations are) for the things you did to my people. (And I use you in the general sence of the word)

Me and smoov are distant realatives.... :ninja: [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img]

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 11 2005, 04:57 PM']Jamie I've got other races in my heritage as well, interestingly enough German and Native American as well.  You say reparations don't heal any wounds, but they do right a wrong.

[right][post="91082"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

R u seriouse u think draining people like me of money would do anything to heal the strife ur people went through generations ago hell no it would bring on new hated towards you. If i suddenly got taxed more to pay u money for ur ancestors hell no.. I would go riot somewhere... I dont ask for anyone to pay me for some heniouse shit they have done to me in my past........ Just a thought man. I dont believe reperations would heal anything.

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='bengalrick' date='May 11 2005, 03:26 PM']smoov, as much as we might disagree, and i don't even agree w/ some of what is written here, i respect your opinion and can see your point... one thing is i don't see racism everyday... as a matter of fact, i rarely see it... though i live in a prodominently white neighborhood, i work very close to cincinnati, and work w/ many black people... like  i said, i personally don't see racism around me, but that's b/c i'm not racist...

to have to deal w/ that would be absolutetly miserable... as a "white boy" i get made  fun of (indirectly) everyday on tv when they put the stereotypical white guy on there that is a fuckin' nerd... that kinda sucks, but i laugh too so i guess it's not that bad... if i had to deal w/ someone prejudice b/c of the color of my skin, i would be pissed off too...

in other words, i can't say that there isn't racism in america (i know there is, but the extent of it, i don't know) b/c i don't deal w/ it often... i will take your word for it (in this case :) ) b/c you would know better...

now that i have gotten all that out, i think both races are missing the point in general... i have mentioned what i believe that i was missing, which is i don't see it everyday, so it's hard to talk specifically about what to do to accept it... i don't know that i would ever accept it either...

the point that i would like to make to african americans, is not every white dude is racist... but everything that happens to someone that is african american, is not b/c they are black... shitty stuff happens to me everyday... i got raided about a year ago and someone told them i was selling drugs like heroin and coke... i haven't even tried either thing, nor would i ever... if that happened to a black man, would they assume that is racism? almost definatly...

the last thing i'm saying is to ignore it, but don't use that excuse for everything that goes bad... that is the problem imo... it is used as a crutch, and if you use a crutch in life, you won't get stronger... i go back to the saying "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" but should add, unless you make excuses and blame everyone else...

and about the reprations... i can't take back what my ancestors may or may not have done... i can appolgize for the torcher that your ancestors went through... but i will not pay my taxes to fund a whole race, that has gone through nothing of the sort... there is some forms of racism, but they don't deal w/ slavery now a days... sorry, but i'll never agree that reprations are the ticket... that is throwing money at a problem, which will never solve it... solving it would require looking at everything logically and not w/ the pre-precieved notion that everyone is out to get you...

i have a question smoov, and i'm not being a smartass: [b]are you being held back at your workplace, in your opinion, b/c of the color of your skin? you seem like a smart dude w/ a good head on his shoulder (besides the bush hating thing :)   ) and i want to know if you have problems getting promotions[/b]...
[right][post="91076"][/post][/right][/quote]

I don't experience racism on my job persay, but I look at upper management(much like the head coach/gm situation in the NFLl) and it doesn't look promising. Out of 32 managing directors only 1 is black and he's nuts,( I went to hear him speak about career development and he was referring to himself in 3rd person :crazy: ). Corporate America is notorious for discrimination and prejudice, not just to people of color but to women as well.

I didn't expect to win any supporters for Reparations, just telling you how I feel. I don't many problems getting along with people of any color, I prescribe to the the Martin Luther King Jr. philosophy of "Judge people by the content of character, rather than the color of the skin", but unfortunately it's not as popular as it should be.

Thanks for the compliment, it's being able to discuss things like this honestly without people getting to emotional, and I'll try not to hold the Bush thing against you either. :D

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='May 11 2005, 04:03 PM']Maybee, but speaking for myself I'd feel insulted if you gave me money as an appology (which is my understanding of what repreations are) for the things you did to my people. (And I use you in the general sence of the word)

[b]Me and smoov are distant realatives[/b].... :ninja:   [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img]
[right][post="91086"][/post][/right][/quote]

:D

We are all distant relatives since we are all members of the human race.

Guest BengalBacker

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 12 2005, 12:13 AM'] :D

[right][post="91343"][/post][/right][/quote]

Ain't that the truth. Whether you believe in Adam and Eve, primordial soup, alien seeding or whatever. We all have common ancestors. We are of one beam of life.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='May 10 2005, 12:28 PM']The current younger generation(s) of white Americans owe minorities of any race/creed/sexual orientation nothing except fair and equal treatment as fellow human beings vying for a living on this watery space rock we call home.

[b]We are all in the here and now, and must move forward as brothers and sisters under the flag of humanity, without forgetting the past, but not dooming ourselves to repeat it.[/b]
[right][post="90611"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
All of which leads back to this...I know, I'm quoting myself, but I wrote it last night and it's like reading it anew all over again for me...

We are all brothers and sisters under the cosmos...

...and it's all pink on the inside...<<jungle fever>>...

...and we all bleed red.....

[quote name='BengalsCat' date='May 11 2005, 05:03 PM']R u seriouse u think draining people like me of money would do anything to heal the strife ur people went through generations ago hell no it would bring on new hated towards you. If i suddenly got taxed more to pay u money for ur ancestors hell no.. I would go riot somewhere... I dont ask for anyone to pay me for some heniouse shit they have done to me in my past........ Just a thought man. I dont believe reperations would heal anything.
[right][post="91087"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Whoever supports reparations is an adorable cuddly wuddly teddy bear. The chinese and my irish ancestors weren't given a key to the country. They weren't slaves, but they worked for next to nothing. But they worked hard and made something happen instead of waiting for a handout. When blacks were free, they ended up working for the same people that enslaved them for generations.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 12 2005, 01:13 AM'] :D

[right][post="91343"][/post][/right][/quote]

Total agreement .... now I feel like busting into a chorus of we are the world for some reason. :P

[quote name='Bunghole' date='May 12 2005, 12:10 PM']Wasn't that Michael Jackson's voice singing that part of the chorus that goes: "We are the [b][i]children[/i][/b]..."
[right][post="91484"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 11 2005, 08:57 PM']You say reparations don't heal any wounds, but they do right a wrong.[/quote]

I actually think reparations would set race relations BACK. Dont you think it would make white people more resentful? Take the same suggestion out of this context and you realize that throwing money at a problem has never healed, solved or righted ANY problem.

For racism to disappear, people have to continue to move away from old stereotypes, to see each other as humans (the same, not different). And most importantly, blacks have to LET it die. Bring it up in relavent cases to bring attention to wrongdoings, but not using it as a fallback in cases where things dont go their way. That perpetuates resentment too.

At this point in the game, NOBODY alive in this country owes anybody ANYTHING, other than abiding by the old adage of "do unto others as you would have done to yourself".

Reparations are stupid and solve nothing. It would simply be a case of politicians throwing money at a problem to make it go away when in actuality it would make it worse.

Bill Cosby is right on the money when he stresses the message of personal responsibility for people of ALL races and income levels. It is a message that deserves to be heard and presented in a politically incorrect way so people will wake up and realize that the erosion of education via the "coolness of ignorance" is simply unacceptable.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='Beaker' date='May 12 2005, 11:06 PM']I actually think reparations would set race relations BACK. Dont you think it would make white people more resentful? Take the same suggestion out of this context and you realize that throwing money at a problem has never healed, solved or righted ANY problem.

For racism to disappear, people have to continue to move away from old stereotypes, to see each other as humans (the same, not different). And most importantly, [b]blacks have to LET it die[/b]. Bring it up in relavent cases to bring attention to wrongdoings, but not using it as a fallback in cases where things dont go their way. That perpetuates resentment too.
[right][post="91789"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

That's real easy for you say, it's part of my history why should I ignore it? Especially since the underlying problems that existed during those times are still around today, to say let die is the worst thing that can be done, imo.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 17 2005, 01:09 PM']That's real easy for you say, it's part of my history why should I ignore it?  Especially since the underlying problems that existed during those times are still around today, to say let die is the worst thing that can be done, imo.
[right][post="93253"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i'll give you this... this would be much easier to say than do... but look at it realistically... the more that racism is brought to the forefront, the longer it will take to heal wounds... like i said, i see where you are going though...

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='Bunghole' date='May 13 2005, 01:55 AM']At this point in the game, NOBODY alive in this country owes anybody ANYTHING, other than abiding by the old adage of "do unto others as you would have done to yourself".

Reparations are stupid and solve nothing.  It would simply be a case of politicians throwing money at a problem to make it go away when in actuality it would make it worse.

[b]Bill Cosby is right on the money when he stresses the message of personal responsibility for people of ALL races and income levels[/b].  It is a message that deserves to be heard and presented in a politically incorrect way so people will wake up and realize that the erosion of education via the "coolness of ignorance" is simply unacceptable.
[right][post="91839"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Bill found enough time between commericials to become motivator and new leader for black people, how nice of him drop in. These problems existed when he was doing Jello commericials and the "Cosby Show", why didn't he speak out then? True, his message has truth in it, but his deliver is ensuring that it won't get heard. You say people deserve to get told that information in a politically incorrect manner, why? If you really want to help people, why would you insult them in the process.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 17 2005, 02:16 PM']Bill found enough time between commericials to become motivator and new leader for black people, how nice of him drop in.  These problems existed when he was doing Jello commericials and the "Cosby Show", why didn't he speak out then?  True, his message has truth in it, but his deliver is ensuring that it won't get heard.  You say people deserve to get told that information in a politically incorrect manner, why?  [b]If you really want to help people, why would you insult them in the process.[/b][right][post="93259"][/post][/right][/quote]
I can respect that, but here is the thing, ... sometimes tough love is needed. Sometimes hand holding people though the problem doesn’t work, that’s all I see when I see him speaking. Granted he's doing it to an audience and the individuals in the audience will be different in how they should be dealt with. I can agree that changing things has to be done at the grass roots level on a case by case basis though.

So far as him "dropping in"; Am I missing something here? I could have sworn I’ve seen interviews with him back in the day where he was talking about the Cosby Show in part was done to promote a successful black family. How does that stereotype not help and improve race relations? TV is a very powerful thing, and can be used both positively and negatively. I see the Cosby Show as a very positive thing.

I for one hate that when a black man is successful, amongst the white race as well, he is labeled an Uncle Tom (I know you haven’t said that, but the tone of your posts implies it). It creates this thing where blacks are only allowed to be successful in certain industries that they are dominate in, that holds the race back as much as anything else. I want to see a day where color doesn’t matter on either side. Were not there yet, and it comes from racism in many different areas.

And another thing….There is ALWAYS room for Jello!!! :P [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img]

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='May 17 2005, 02:42 PM']I can respect that, but here is the thing, ... sometimes tough love is needed. Sometimes hand holding people though the problem doesn’t work, that’s all I see when I see him speaking. Granted he's doing it to an audience and the individuals in the audience will be different in how they should be dealt with. I can agree that changing things has to be done at the grass roots level on a case by case basis though.

So far as him "dropping in"; Am I missing something here? I could have sworn I’ve seen interviews with him back in the day where he was talking about the Cosby Show in part was done to promote a successful black family. How does that stereotype not help and improve race relations? TV is a very powerful thing, and can be used both positively and negatively. I see the Cosby Show as a very positive thing.

I for one hate that when a black man is successful, amongst the white race as well, he is labeled an Uncle Tom (I know you haven’t said that, but the tone of your posts implies it). It creates this thing where blacks are only allowed to be successful in certain industries that they are dominate in, that holds the race back as much as anything else. I want to see a day where color doesn’t matter on either side. Were not there yet, and it comes from racism in many different areas.

And another thing….There is ALWAYS room for Jello!!!  :P   [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img]
[right][post="93300"][/post][/right][/quote]

As for the first paragraph, there is a time and place for everything. The people he's trying to "help" aren't looking for any tough love from Bill Cosby, their lives are tough enough.

As for Bill "dropping in", Bill was never known as someone who rocked the boat or stood up the for the average black person in America. During the height of the Cosby show fame(the mid to late 80's) most black inner-city communities were being infected with drugs, unemployment rates were as high as 50%; and Cosby said nothing execpt for "J.E.L.L.O." True Cosby changed many perceptions by doing the Cosby Show, it's one of my favorite shows of all time, but that doesn't give him the right to talk down to people or tell everyone what their problem is.

Unfortunately for anyone to "make it" America they must assimilate into white coulture in some form. There is a certain level of ignorance that goes with situation, but some view assimilation into another coulture as turning your back or selling out your own. True many don't aspire certain areas because they view it as selling out or whatever and that is something that needs to change, that's the ignorance I'm refering too.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 17 2005, 03:57 PM']As for the first paragraph, there is a time and place for everything.  The people he's trying to "help" aren't looking for any tough love from Bill Cosby, their lives are tough enough.

As for Bill "dropping in", Bill was never known as someone who rocked the boat or stood up the for the average black person in America.  During the height of the Cosby show fame(the mid to late 80's) most black inner-city communities were being infected with drugs, unemployment rates were as high as 50%; and Cosby said nothing execpt for "J.E.L.L.O."  True Cosby changed many perceptions by doing the Cosby Show, it's one of my favorite shows of all time, but that doesn't give him the right to talk down to people or tell everyone what their problem is.   
Unfortunately for anyone to "make it" America they must assimilate into white coulture in some form.  There is a certain level of ignorance that goes with situation, but some view assimilation into another coulture as turning your back or selling out your own.  True many don't aspire certain areas because they view it as selling out or whatever and that is something that needs to change, that's the ignorance I'm refering too.
[right][post="93311"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

But why is it assimilation to the white culture? Ive seen many many white kids being what they call "wiggers", does that cross assimilation not exisist on our side as well? Could it not be a good thing that we cross assimilate across cultures becoming one America?? I mean Im not saying dont respect your heritiage, but dont let it define who you are, you (general sence of the word) can be more than "That Black Guy", ya know?

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='Jamie_B' date='May 17 2005, 03:03 PM']But why is it assimilation to the white culture? Ive seen many many white kids being what they call "wiggers", does that cross assimilation not exisist on our side as well? Could it not be a good thing that we cross assimilate across cultures becoming one America?? I mean Im not saying dont respect your heritiage, but dont let it define who you are, you (general sence of the word) can be more than "That Black Guy", ya know?
[right][post="93314"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I'm talking about assimilation when it comes to being successful in certian areas. If a certain group dominates an area, to become successful in that area you must assimilate yourself into it. Eminim assimilated himself into black coulture to become a successful rapper, it works both ways. In order for minorities to achieve success in certain areas they must either be the best of the best of the best of the best or assimilate into the coulture that dominates that area, in America white coulture dominates most things.

Archived