Titans are ruined for several years

Guest BengalsOwn

Guest BengalsOwn
Titans | Major Salary Cuts Looming - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:06:23 -0800

Tennessee Titans Owner K.S. "Bud" Adams said the Titans had to trim $21 million to get under the salary cap for the 2004 season, and the cuts will be much deeper than that this year, according to Teresa M. Walker of the Associated Press. "We've been able to hold this team together," Adams said. "It'll be a little hard to do it now at this juncture because we're trying to rob Peter to pay Paul the last nine years to hold this team together as many years as we have." Ten of the Titans' top players currently are due to count for $76.79 million in 2005, according to an analysis by The Tennessean. The 2005 NFL salary cap is projected at $86 million.

Guest BengalsOwn

Ten of the Titans' top players currently are due to count for $76.79 million in 2005

That's amazing.

At least we will have several big name players to look at this offseason, 3/4's of which coming from the Titans.

:D

Guest bengalrick
[quote]Ten of the Titans' top players currently are due to count for $76.79 million in 2005, according to an analysis by The Tennessean. The 2005 NFL salary cap is projected at $86 million.[/quote]

wow... thats huge... they are going to have to let go some big names this year again... unless mcnair goes ahead and retires

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=1959022"]espn.com[/url]

[quote]But will a healthy McNair retire? His decision will determine whether the Titans, about $23 million over the salary cap, should retool or rebuild entirely.[/quote]

heres a list of players i would like to see in stripes and their salaries... if mcnair stays, expect to see some of these names in FA imo... 23 million is too much to cover by letting go some no-namers making 1 million a year, and they had like 13 picks last year, so they can go very young and rebuild next year...

[url="http://www.titanscentral.net/"]kevin carter[/url] - [quote]Kevin Carter has a whopping cap number of $ 15.6 M.  The team can save $ 5.862 M by releasing him but he would still count for $ 9.8 M in dead money.  The Titans could restructure his deal and save more money (in the neighborhood of $ 7 M - $ 8 M for 2005.[/quote]

[url="http://www.titanscentral.net/"]samari rolle[/url] - [quote]Samari Rolle has a cap number of $ 9.013 M and is under contract through 2006.  The Titans could possibly restructure his contract and save $ 2.417 M.  Ideally, however, they should explore extension talks to lock Rolle up beyond 2006.  It would provide more cap relief for 2005 and 2006 and solidy your shutdown corner position.[/quote]
[url="http://www.titanscentral.net/"]derrick mason[/url] - [quote]Derrick Mason is entering the last year of his contract and has a cap number of $ 6.652 M that includes a $ 3.5 M base salary and a roster bonus of $ 1.5 M.  They have 3 options - release him into free agency, budget for his current cap number and let him play the year out, or work out an extension.  The problem the Titans face is that Mason's market number will be pretty high given the recent contracts for Harrison, Owens, Chambers, and even McCareins.[/quote]

[quote]In such a rebuild mode, the high priced veterans such as Kevin Carter, Brad Hopkins, Fred Miller, Derrick Mason, Samari Rolle, Lance Schulters, Joe Nedney, and Robert Holcombe would be in danger.  Cutting these players in March would free up $ 19.058 M and clear them off the books forever.  The ramifications for 2006 are startling - $ 43.3 M of cap money would be gone.  The Titans would go from having around $ 109 M on the books (with a cap limit of around $ 90 M) to $ 44.6 M.  Of course, the other side of the argument is that these moves would create big voids as Rolle, Mason, and Carter are Pro Bowl caliber players.[/quote]

there are a couple more on their defense that i'd like to see in stripes, but these guys might be released... btw, if pdub is 100%, i'll pass on mason... carter played pretty good at dt last year, and rolle is a beast at corner...

Guest Bengal_Smoov
The Titans go this every year it seems like, Floyd Resse needs to get it together down there. They should try to trade McNair, Carter, Rolle, and Mason. Getting rid of those guys alone could free up valuable cap room and they could get either draft picks or cheaper players, next year is definitely a rebuilding year for them.

Voleck showed he is an NFL qb, Chris Brown looks promising, and Drew Bennett really came on towards the end of the year so the Titans can compete. Fisher does a great job of plugging in young players and getting them to produce, he's going to have to do alot of that in the next few years. They gave it a good run with the guys they have now that didn't work so it time to blow that sucker up.

[quote]samari rolle -

Samari Rolle has a cap number of $ 9.013 M and is under contract through 2006.  The Titans could possibly restructure his contract and save $ 2.417 M.  Ideally, however, they should explore extension talks to lock Rolle up beyond 2006.  It would provide more cap relief for 2005 and 2006 and solidy your shutdown corner position.[/quote]

I'd love to get Samari. I was hoping we'd take him back when we drafted Artrell Suckins

I like Samari Rolle too, but in order to get him we'd have to free up some money of our own at that position because James and O'Neal are fairly expensive...we wouldn't be able to keep them all.
Plus, I'd rather stick with developing Kiewan for the time being. I guess you can never have too many DB's, though...

Guest BlackJesus
[b]There motto should be ....

[color="red"]Remember the Titans[/color] -

Cause they won't be seeing the Superbowl till Mcnairs a grandfather [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [/b]

Archived