Young Buckeyes Considering NFL Draft

Guest Agent Orange

Guest Agent Orange
[quote]Young Buckeyes Considering NFL Draft
Friday, December 15, 2006 8:24 PM EST
The Associated Press
By RUSTY MILLER

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Four of Ohio State's top underclassmen on offense are considering leaving school early to enter the NFL draft. [b]Junior wide receivers Ted Ginn Jr. and Anthony Gonzalez, tailback Antonio Pittman and lineman Kirk Barton filed paperwork with the NFL on Friday.[/b]

"We're just awaiting some information so that we can make good decisions," said coach Jim Tressel, whose No. 1 Buckeyes play No. 2 Florida for the national title Jan. 8 in Glendale, Ariz.

An NFL advisory committee estimates where, or if, a player might be taken in the draft. A player can then elect to remain in college or make himself available for the draft.

Pittman said several weeks ago he wanted to come back for his senior year and win the Heisman Trophy — just as teammate Troy Smith did this year.

"I want to come back, but like anyone else I have a family to take care of," said Pittman, who rushed for 1,171 yards and 13 touchdowns after gaining 1,331 yards and scoring seven times a year ago. "When the paperwork comes back in, I'll sit down with my parents and coach Tress and then we'll make a decision."

Ginn led top-ranked Ohio State (12-0) with 59 receptions for 781 yards and nine touchdowns. With breakneck speed, he is also one of the nation's top return men.

Gonzalez is second on the team in receiving with 49 catches for 723 yards and eight scores. He is known as a dependable receiver with good hands and speed.

He filled out the papers just to keep his options open.

"What I want to do is come back, that's for sure," Gonzalez said. "That's easy because it's fun here. The vast majority of the people I know in the NFL are miserable."

The 6-foot-6, 310-pound Barton started every game at right tackle as the Buckeyes averaged 36.3 points and 410 yards per game.

Three Buckeyes left early a year ago for the NFL, with two taken in the first round (defensive back Donte Whitner and wide receiver Santonio Holmes) and another in the third (defensive back Ashton Youboty).

Twenty-two Ohio State players have left school early to be a part of the draft since 1992. The list includes some of the most productive Buckeyes in the NFL: Dan Wilkinson, Terry Glenn, Shawn Springs, Orlando Pace, Nate Clements and Chris Gamble.

The Buckeyes are chasing their second national championship in the last five years. Ginn said his focus right now is not on the NFL, but the game.

"The papers and the NFL and all that can wait," he said. "It's going to be a decision that I'll have to ask my parents about."

Tressel called Gonzalez to suggest that he file the paperwork. Gonzalez said had no desire to leave but would reserve judgment until after he had gotten an idea of what NFL teams thought about him.

"I want to come back. Now what's the right thing to do? I don't have the answer to that. Nobody does right now," he said.

Pittman is not looking forward to making the decision when the time comes.

"I don't think it's an easy decision at all," he said. "For the last three years, this is all I've known. These guys come in here are like family. To walk away from your family is a hard thing."

Asked if players leaving early came with having a high-profile program, Tressel said, "It's just part of the deal."[/quote]

Guest WhoDeyForever

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='407973' date='Dec 16 2006, 09:23 AM']I wonder where Teddy would be drafted...

[b]And I would bet that if the Bengals took him that he would instantly be converted to corner (which he played in HS[/b])[/quote]

Yup and I would instantly cum in my pants :D

Theres a kid that goes to Piqua named Brandon Saine. He is one of the fastest kids in ohio if not the fastest. I believe he won state last year in the 100 400. That kind of stuff. He will be going to tosu. I would imagine he would be converted to WR...maybe since we have a abundant talent of running backs. So i wouldn't be in to much of a worry if he left.

I think they got Pitcocks brother too.

Guest WhoDeyForever

[quote name='JC' post='408069' date='Dec 16 2006, 01:35 PM']Theres a kid that goes to Piqua named Brandon Saine. He is one of the fastest kids in ohio if not the fastest. I believe he won state last year in the 100 400. That kind of stuff. He will be going to tosu. I would imagine he would be converted to WR...maybe since we have a abundant talent of running backs. So i wouldn't be in to much of a worry if he left.

I think they got Pitcocks brother too.[/quote]

Don't forget about Ray Small either. Is a freshman this year. Ted Ginn Sr. said he was the best player he ever coached. :headbang:

Ginn is as good as gone. I also think Antonio Pittman will declare because he's coming off of two good years, he plays a position where NFL scouts actually prefer players to declare earlier so as to avoid wear and tear, and he stands to lose more carries to Chris Wells next year. I could be wrong here, not sure what his draft grade is.

Gonzalez's draft stock could benefit from a year as the #1 target. He's really a great talent and somewhat underrated as an athlete, but he's generally been overshadowed by his teammates throughout his career. I think he stays. No idea about Barton.

[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='408188' date='Dec 16 2006, 09:09 PM']Ginn is as good as gone. I also think Antonio Pittman will declare because he's coming off of two good years, he plays a position where NFL scouts actually prefer players to declare earlier so as to avoid wear and tear, and he stands to lose more carries to Chris Wells next year. I could be wrong here, not sure what his draft grade is.

Gonzalez's draft stock could benefit from a year as the #1 target. He's really a great talent and somewhat underrated as an athlete, but he's generally been overshadowed by his teammates throughout his career. I think he stays. No idea about Barton.[/quote]

I agree with every thing you posted except for Gonzalez. The reality is that most NFL brass would
project Gonzalez as a #2 reciever. Being overshadowed by Holmes and Ginn does not hurt him much
because most in the NFL would not expect him to be a #1 receiver. This has Gonzalez's been his best year
and if he comes out now, he could go as high as the middle of round 1 and at worst, be selected in
round 2.

If he stays another year, his stats will suffer because the replacement for Troy Smith will have very
little playing experience.

As a Buckeye fan, I dont want to see anybody go, but all of these guys would be crazy if they stayed.

[quote name='JC' post='408069' date='Dec 16 2006, 01:35 PM']Theres a kid that goes to Piqua named Brandon Saine. He is one of the fastest kids in ohio if not the fastest. I believe he won state last year in the 100 400. That kind of stuff. He will be going to tosu. I would imagine he would be converted to WR...maybe since we have a abundant talent of running backs. So i wouldn't be in to much of a worry if he left.

I think they got Pitcocks brother too.[/quote]

Bucknuts.com considers 3 of the 4 pretty much gone (except MAYBE Barton), and if that is the case, particularly with Pittman, expect Saine to stay at TB.

[quote name='Jason' post='408278' date='Dec 17 2006, 09:07 AM']Bucknuts.com considers 3 of the 4 pretty much gone (except MAYBE Barton), and if that is the case, particularly with Pittman, expect Saine to stay at TB.[/quote]
I would love to see Saine stay at TB. He is a very quick and powerful runner. We could even see him returning kicks this year. Excellent Kick returner. And the fastest guy in ohio.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayp9bcPAZXg&eurl="]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayp9bcPAZXg&eurl=[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeP7y3p0c80"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeP7y3p0c80[/url] ,First 2 30 is same as the one above then theres some other stuff.

Video of him doing some kick returns and a couple runs...hopefully he sees the field quite a bit next year.

I just thought i heard Pittman was going to come back for a senior season...but if he is gone...i would rather see wells in there...he will be a monster.

[quote name='JC' post='408303' date='Dec 17 2006, 10:25 AM']I would love to see Saine stay at TB. He is a very quick and powerful runner. We could even see him returning kicks this year. Excellent Kick returner. And the fastest guy in ohio.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayp9bcPAZXg&eurl="]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayp9bcPAZXg&eurl=[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeP7y3p0c80"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeP7y3p0c80[/url] ,First 2 30 is same as the one above then theres some other stuff.

Video of him doing some kick returns and a couple runs...hopefully he sees the field quite a bit next year.

I just thought i heard Pittman was going to come back for a senior season...but if he is gone..[b].i would rather see wells in there...he will be a monster.[/b][/quote]

If Pittman is gone, Beanie will be the starter, no doubt. And he will get a LOT of carries even if Pittman stays. But Tressel believes in "a pair and a spare" when it comes to RBs. So Saine will definitely stay at TB if 25 comes out, and probably even if he doesn't.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='408755' date='Dec 17 2006, 07:07 PM']pittman has already said hes staying another year, hell hed be a fool to leave now. gonzo would be the featured wr next year and has the potential to up his stock significantly. barton has a chance to make a big name for himself, and ginn is as good as gone.[/quote]

Totally disagree.

Chris Wells was not the most heavily recruited running back in the country for nothing. Tressell will
not led him ride the pine his second year, and even if Pittman does start in 2007, his carries and
yards will suffer because he will be sharing the rock even more with Wells.

I think it's obvious that most in the NFL doesn't view Pittman as a franchise running back anyway.

The best Pittman could hope for is to be selected late in Round 2, but going in round 3 or 4 sounds
much more realistic if he comes out now.

Yes Gonzo, would be the man next year but he have a new inexperienced qb throwing him the ball.
You gotta believe that Tressell will protect his new qb as much as possible and rely on Wells and his
defense to win most games.

new qb or not, another year of experience and most assuredly a year chock full of yards would definitely put gonzo amoung the elite wrs, if hes not already there. wells, on the other hand, has shown why he wasnt the featured back this year. his inexperience has shown strongly at times and his inability to maintain possession of the ball through contact is definitely frightening to say the least. i think youve seen tressel towards the end of the year show his concern with wells in the media and in his playing time. the kid is going to be very good, no doubt, but if pittman comes back for another year to try improve his draft status, i doubt it will matter.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='408775' date='Dec 17 2006, 07:42 PM']new qb or not, another year of experience and most assuredly a year chock full of yards would definitely put gonzo amoung the elite wrs, if hes not already there. wells, on the other hand, has shown why he wasnt the featured back this year. his inexperience has shown strongly at times and his inability to maintain possession of the ball through contact is definitely frightening to say the least. i think youve seen tressel towards the end of the year show his concern with wells in the media and in his playing time. the kid is going to be very good, no doubt, but if pittman comes back for another year to try improve his draft status, i doubt it will matter.[/quote]

Gonzo would be a fool if he came back to Ohio State in 2007. Do you remember how the Bucks
played football in 2002? Expect the same kind of blueprint in 2007. Tressell by nature is very
conservative and he only opened up the offense once he realized what a talent he had in Troy
Smith. IMO, this is Gonzo's best shot to go high in the draft.

As far as Wells goes, freshmen make mistakes and freshman fumble. Wells is a stud, he has
above average NFL size and speed. With a year under his belt, Tressell will feed him the ball
a ton in 2007.

Because of that Gonzo will be screwed because his receptions will dramatically drop and Pittman
will be screwed cause he wont see the field no where near as often.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='sneaky' post='408785' date='Dec 17 2006, 08:05 PM']Gonzo would be a fool if he came back to Ohio State in 2007. Do you remember how the Bucks
played football in 2002? Expect the same kind of blueprint in 2007. Tressell by nature is very
conservative and he only opened up the offense once he realized what a talent he had in Troy
Smith. IMO, this is Gonzo's best shot to go high in the draft.

As far as Wells goes, freshmen make mistakes and freshman fumble. Wells is a stud, he has
above average NFL size and speed. With a year under his belt, Tressell will feed him the ball
a ton in 2007.

Because of that Gonzo will be screwed because his receptions will dramatically drop and Pittman
will be screwed cause he wont see the field no where near as often.[/quote]

Don't discount Boeckman. He'll handle the QB position just fine, and has a hell of an arm. OSU will contend again next year.

Gonzo has TJ Houshmanzadeh written all over him. Sure hands, makes the tough catch, and can go over the middle. With that said, I think Gonzo stays to get his degree.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='408823' date='Dec 17 2006, 09:25 PM']Don't discount Boeckman. He'll handle the QB position just fine, and has a hell of an arm. OSU will contend again next year.
Gonzo has TJ Houshmanzadeh written all over him. Sure hands, makes the tough catch, and can go over the middle. With that said, I think Gonzo stays to get his degree.[/quote]

A strong arm is no substitute for experience. This season Gonzo benefited from Ginn's presence
and a spectacular season from Smith. He will have neither in 2007. If he came out now, he'd be
an almost lock for the second round. If he stays and Boeckman or whoever is at the helm, struggles
getting him the ball, the decision to come back will cost him millions.

[quote name='sneaky' post='408844' date='Dec 17 2006, 09:52 PM']A strong arm is no substitute for experience. This season Gonzo benefited from Ginn's presence
and a spectacular season from Smith. He will have neither in 2007. If he came out now, he'd be
an almost lock for the second round. If he stays and Boeckman or whoever is at the helm, struggles
getting him the ball, the decision to come back will cost him millions.[/quote]

He will still have Robo-receiver, Hartline, and Small. If Gonzo stays, OSU will still have one of the best WR corps in the country.

My insider info says Ginn cya, Gonzo is prolly 80-20 staying, barton no clue, and as for pittman-about a month ago he was a lock to stay stating he wanted to wint he heisman, but now i think hes 50-50 because he has to realize beanie is going to steal a lot more carries from him next year and i really dont think he can prove too much more then what he has.

Gonzo lovessss school, i had a philosophy class with this guy and he raised his hand to answer every question and sounded like the smartest person ive ever heard speak. One of the quotes he said in an interview "everyone i know that is in the NFL is miserable" leads me to believe he is coming back to college.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='dieselman44' post='409154' date='Dec 18 2006, 12:50 PM']One of the quotes he said in an interview "everyone i know that is in the NFL is miserable"[/quote]

as they called him from their mercedes'

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='409242' date='Dec 18 2006, 03:26 PM']as they called him from their mercedes'[/quote]

We're talking about Ohio State here - I'm sure some crooked boosters are making sure Gonzo is well cared for himself, though perhaps not as much as Reggie Bush, who made $100,000 in the USC work-study program.

Also, since when are juniors considered underclassmen?

P.S. Who would win in a footrace - Ginn or Benny Brazell?

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='413087' date='Dec 24 2006, 05:25 AM'][b]We're talking about Ohio State here - I'm sure some crooked boosters are making sure Gonzo is well cared for himself[/b], though perhaps not as much as Reggie Bush, who made $100,000 in the USC work-study program.

Also, since when are juniors considered underclassmen?

P.S. Who would win in a footrace - Ginn or Benny Brazell?[/quote]

*covers ears*
[b]LIES, LIES ALL LIES, SHUT UP YOU LYING LIAR !!!!![/b]

:ninja:

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='413087' date='Dec 24 2006, 05:25 AM']P.S. Who would win in a footrace - Ginn or Benny Brazell?[/quote]

Bennie runs olympic track...so i would assume Bennie.

Bennie is the fucking man by the way.

Archived