Five Most Talented Cincinnati Pro Athletes

Jason

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='429907' date='Jan 19 2007, 06:55 PM']ken griffey sr was one of the best players on that team. he never got the credit he deserved tho. he is easily top 5. he did it all. amazing arm, good d, could bat 1st or 2nd, stole some bases. he was huge for them and VERY talented.[/quote]

No doubt, I agree he was a big contributor to the success of the Big Red Machine... but I there're only five spots to choose from amongst all the pro athletes in Cincy history, and I just didn't think he was more deserving than the likes of Morgan, Bench, Rose, or Foster out of those great Reds teams.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Nati Ice' post='429920' date='Jan 19 2007, 08:03 PM']Johnny Bench
Oscar Robertson
Chad Johnson
Ken Griffey Jr.
Coy Bacon

BASED ON [u]NATURAL[/u] TALENT ONLY[/quote]
we are basing it on talent IN cincinnati. by the time jr got to cincy he wasnt even close to top 5.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='429958' date='Jan 19 2007, 11:04 PM']we are basing it on talent IN cincinnati. by the time jr got to cincy he wasnt even close to top 5.[/quote]
the first year junior got here he still had all the talent in the world, i dont really care if he has dropped off sense then since he was initially brought here with all of his talent in tow.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Nati Ice' post='430005' date='Jan 20 2007, 02:21 AM']the first year junior got here he still had all the talent in the world, i dont really care if he has dropped off sense then since he was initially brought here with all of his talent in tow.[/quote]
his talent had started decreasing in seattle, part of the reason for his significant drop in batting average. he lost some bat speed his last 2 seasons in seattle and wasnt as fast on the paths. he took a few years off his prime time talent by playing in CF like he did (i would think andruw jones did that as well, but he seems to be getting better with age).

This is cool.

But first we must determine as to what constitutes "Talent". If you look up talent as defined in the dictionary and select the thesauraus;
this is what you come up with:

[i]Text: a special and usually inborn ability <Liza's musical talent was already apparent by the time she was five> <Jim's talent for coming up with really funny answers>
Synonyms aptitude, endowment, faculty, flair, genius, gift, knack
Related Words bent, inclination, leaning, partiality, penchant, predilection, predisposition, proclivity, propensity, turn; ear, eye, head, mind, nose; feel, hang, instinct, touch, way; capability, competence, facility, proficiency, skill; capacity, power, potential [/i]

What I see as the main criteria for selection revolves around "physical attribute" or the synonym: [i]endowment[/i]

In other words, are we to eliminate a candidate if they had to develop their "talent" :unsure: Born without "Natural" talent.
Well, I disagree with that line of thinking, some players may have been born with advantages over others such as size and speed, but that still must work on improving their [i]"Skills".[/i]

For me when I see a Spud Webb dunk a basketball, I am more impressed than any 7' player doing the same thing.

[i]Disclaimer: I love the Bengals, but my first love is baseball.[/i]

It is said (arguabley) that one of the hardest things to do in sports, is hit a baseball. see Michael Jordan.
(True if he would stayed dedicated to baseball, he may have been a better player)

Baseball players are judged by their statistics (emperical data), with that said my list:

1. Peter Edward Rose

Major League records:
[b]Most career hits - 4,256 [/b]
Most career games played - 3,562
Most career at bats - 14,053
Most career singles - 3,315
Most career total bases by a switch hitter - 5,752
[b]Most seasons of 200 or more hits - 10 [/b]
[b]Most consecutive seasons of 100 or more hits - 23[/b]
Most consecutive seasons with 600 or more at bats - 13 (1968-1980)
Most seasons with 600 at bats - 17
Most seasons with 150 or more games played - 17
Most seasons with 100 or more games played - 23
Record for playing in the most winning games - 1,972
[b]Only player [/b][u]in major league history [/u]to play more than 500 games at five different positions - 1B (939), LF (671), 3B (634), 2B (628), RF (595)
National League records:
Most years played - 24
Most consecutive years played - 24
Most career runs - 2,165
Most career doubles - 746
Most career games with 5 or more hits - 10
[b]Modern (post-1900) record for longest consecutive game hitting streak - 44[/b]
Modern record for most consecutive hitting streaks of 20 or more games - 7
[b]NL MVP Award (1973) [/b]
[b]NL Rookie of the Year Award (1963)[/b]
17 All-Star selections
[b]Three World Series rings (1975, 1976, 1980)
World Series MVP Award (1975) [/b]
Two Gold Glove Awards (1969 and 1970, both as an outfielder)
Roberto Clemente Award (1976)
The Sporting News Player of the Year (1968)
The Sporting News Sportsman of the Year (1985)
[b]The Sporting News Player of the Decade (1970s)[/b]
WWE Hall of Fame inductee (2004) :lol:

2. Oscar Robinson
Should be 1A

3. Johnny Bench
Redefined the position.

4. Aaron Pryor
"Hawk Time" ok, so he was probably [i]juiced[/i] most of his fights [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//23.gif[/img]

5. Joe Morgan
MVP 75 & 76

Bubble: Frank Robinson, Boomer Esiason, Griffey Jr (not here, but still demands respect)/ Ken Griffey Sr

Future Top Five Member: Carson Palmer

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote]4. Aaron Pryor
"Hawk Time" ok, so he was probably juiced most of his fights[/quote]
i have no idea who this is. got some more information on him? id love to see some more.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Jason' post='431853' date='Jan 23 2007, 04:43 PM']He was a boxer back in the 1980s.[/quote]
ah, only 2 boxers ive ever cared for were Ali and Tyson.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='431822' date='Jan 23 2007, 04:04 PM']i have no idea who this is. got some more information on him? id love to see some more.[/quote]

Former WBA/IBF Junior Welterweight Champion
Lifetime record of 39-1 with 35 knockouts; retired undefeated in 1985. Returned to boxing in 1987
suffering his only loss to a fringe contender named Bobby Joe Young.

He returned in 1988 with three more fights; winning all by knockouts however it was discovered that
he was fighting with impaired vision and forced into permenant retirement.

His most notable fights were against Alexis Arguello.
The fight was named Fight Of The Year and later the Fight Of The Decade by Ring Magazine.

(in this fight you can hear from his cornerman, "not that bottle, the one I mixed"; never tested, some believe there was some form of stimulate in the bottle)

Basically, he was the Mike Tyson of his weight class, before there was a Mike Tyson. (Had similar personal problems)

The best way to describe his boxing style would be "Non-stop Buzzsaw". His punches came from everywhere at a fervorish pace. You did not want to bilink; you would literally [b]miss a punch thrown[/b].

Notables: From Wiki

Aaron Pryor has been used as a motivational tool for the 2006 New York Jets. Coach Eric Mangini is a huge Aaron Pryor fan and has used Aaron Pryor's attitude and career as a source of motivation for his team. Aaron filmed a short clip saying it was "New York Jets time."

Additionally, I have a second cousin that lives in the Cincinnati area, who was a driver for Aaron Pryor and whom also hppens to be a promoter for "Meanest Man" contest in the area. I witnessed such an event in 83, at location called Strikers Grove :unsure: ; Aaron was there and went three rounds of exhibition against a different boxer per round.

Today:
He is currently ministering at a church in Cincinnati

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote]Additionally, I have a second cousin that lives in the Cincinnati area, who was a driver for Aaron Pryor and whom also hppens to be a promoter for "Meanest Man" contest in the area. I witnessed such an event in 83, at location called Strikers Grove unsure.gif ; Aaron was there and went three rounds of exhibition against a different boxer per round.[/quote]

haha, strickers grove is like 5-10 minutes from my house. they do the meanest man contest every year. i have a family member who was in it a while back.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='432302' date='Jan 24 2007, 01:07 PM']haha, strickers grove is like 5-10 minutes from my house. they do the meanest man contest every year. i have a family member who was in it a while back.[/quote]

It's a small world. :)

I love this topic, I think we should branch it out to collegiate as well...

For Now:
1.Anthony Munoz
2.Boomer E.
3.Pete Rose
4.Oscar Robertson
5.Chad Johnson

Close: Carson (still too early in his career), Willie Anderson, and Tom Browning

Top five all drunk/stoned/arrested team:
1.Ryan Freel
2.Justin Smith
3.Chris Henry
4.Odell Thurman
5.Stanford Jennings

And since every great team needs a coach...Bobby Huggins

[quote name='bengals4ever' post='434353' date='Jan 29 2007, 07:26 PM']1. Chris Henry
2. Odell Thurman
3. Ki-Jana Carter
4. Akili Smith
5. David Klingler[/quote]
I'm not sure you can put Chris and Odell on there...considering there pretty good talents.

I would recommend Neil Rackers and maybe P-Dub.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='schotzee' post='435243' date='Jan 31 2007, 03:00 PM']James Brooks
Chris Colinsworth
Ken Anderson
Dave Concepcion
Tom Casanova[/quote]

This was a liquored up response.

My 5 would be

Palmer
Rose
Rijo
Morgan