Five Most Talented Cincinnati Pro Athletes

Jason

Lance is currently doing 5 most popular sports figures on his show. Which gave me the idea, who do you think would be the 5 [b]most talented Professional[/b] athletes in Cincinnati history? Try only to consider their time in Cincinnati. For example, Junior in his prime would certainly be on that list, but he didn't playe here in his prime, and would not make mine.

My Top 5:
Johnny Bench
Joe Morgan
Anthony Munoz
Oscar Robertson
Carson Palmer

Close, but not quite: Chad Johnson, Eric Davis, and Willie Anderson.

[quote name='WhoDeyForever' post='429229' date='Jan 18 2007, 05:14 PM'][b]No Pete Rose for you Jason?[/b]

for me in no order its
1.Carson Palmer
2.Anthony Munoz
3.Chad Johnson
4.Pete Rose
5.Johnny Bench[/quote]

Based solely on [b][i]TALENT[/i][/b]?

No.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='429276' date='Jan 18 2007, 06:13 PM']Pete Rose has the most hits in MLB history, how is that not talent?[/quote]

I'm not saying he's devoid of talent. But he has 4200+ hits because he out-worked everyone else, and played for 200 years. But I don't think he is one of the 5 most talented athletes ever to play pro sports in Cincy.

Guest WhoDeyForever

[quote name='Jason' post='429282' date='Jan 18 2007, 06:24 PM']I'm not saying he's devoid of talent. But he has 4200+ hits because he out-worked everyone else, and played for 200 years. But I don't think he is one of the 5 most talented athletes ever to play pro sports in Cincy.[/quote]
I'm sorry but anyone that would say that and would live in Cincinnati would probably get shot. Thank god your in Florida <_<

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='429309' date='Jan 18 2007, 07:08 PM']Griffey should top the list.

Get Munoz outta there, we're talking talent here aren't we? If my memory serves me, Munoz played at what is generally referred to as a 'non-skill position.'[/quote]

Munoz played place kicker?

:ninja:

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Nati Ice' post='429261' date='Jan 18 2007, 05:56 PM']griffey is by far the most naturally talented professional athlete in cincy[/quote]
NO. he said ONLY consider the players time in cincinnati. He isnt even fucking close if we are only counting time in Cincy. I know he has been injured, but he was MUCH worse talent wise by the time we got him than he was when he got his fame.

Talent all time: Jose Rijo (if he didnt get hurt he would be a HOF'r with ease). That boy was talented as fuck.

[b]No Ken Griffey Sr? one of the most talented players ever to play for the Reds. This one shocks me. He had a very good bat, an amazing arm, and could steal bases. Griffey Sr did it all and never got his due because of other players in Cincinnati, but i have heard various people stating him and bench were the two best talents by far.[/b]

1) Oscar Robertson
2) Ken Griffey Sr
3) Johnny Bench (and this hurts to say)
4) Jose Rijo
5) Frank Robinson

my 6th man: Joe Morgan

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
i get that palmer is a GREAT QB with a great arm. but i cant view him as a top athlete. he isnt that great of an actual athlete or talent. if u disagree so be it, but i dont see him fitting in the talent/athlete pile.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='429404' date='Jan 18 2007, 09:25 PM']NO. he said ONLY consider the players time in cincinnati. He isnt even fucking close if we are only counting time in Cincy. I know he has been injured, but he was MUCH worse talent wise by the time we got him than he was when he got his fame.

Talent all time: Jose Rijo (if he didnt get hurt he would be a HOF'r with ease). That boy was talented as fuck.

[b]No Ken Griffey Sr? one of the most talented players ever to play for the Reds. This one shocks me. He had a very good bat, an amazing arm, and could steal bases. Griffey Sr did it all and never got his due because of other players in Cincinnati, but i have heard various people stating him and bench were the two best talents by far.[/b]

1) Oscar Robertson
2) Ken Griffey Sr
3) Johnny Bench (and this hurts to say)
4) Jose Rijo
5) Frank Robinson

my 6th man: Joe Morgan[/quote]

Ken Griffey Jr was a [b][i]Mariner[/b][/i] when he was a great player, so he didn't make my list.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Jason' post='429446' date='Jan 18 2007, 10:09 PM']Ken Griffey Jr was a [b][i]Mariner[/b][/i] when he was a great player, so he didn't make my list.[/quote]
i agree 100%, thats what i said.

u misread. I said griffey was talented in Seattle, not nearly as talented as Cincinnati. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Ken Griffey SR was one of the most talented player back in the day on the Reds.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='WD40' post='429504' date='Jan 19 2007, 12:02 AM']Oscar
Frank Robinson
Johnny Bench
Joe Morgan
Carson

Pete Rose almost, but what kept him out is that his legacy was built more on will and less on skill.[/quote]
YAY!!! someone else gave Frank Robinson some love.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Nati Ice' post='429548' date='Jan 19 2007, 07:03 AM']he was still a great player when he was traded, just because hes been injured doesnt mean hes still not the most naturally gifted athlete in cincy history[/quote]
ok first off this question was about players and their time in cincinnati. by the time griffey was traded to cincinnati he was nothing near the talent he was in seattle. he was still a very good player when we first got him, but he wasnt near the talent he was in seattle and he wanst near the talent by the time he reached cincinnati as the people who are being put on this list instead of him.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='429483' date='Jan 18 2007, 10:42 PM']i agree 100%, thats what i said.

u misread. I said griffey was talented in Seattle, not nearly as talented as Cincinnati. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Ken Griffey SR was one of the most talented player back in the day on the Reds.[/quote]

:doh:

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='Jason' post='429587' date='Jan 19 2007, 09:45 AM']:doh:[/quote]
its ok Jr and Sr are VERY similar and i actually fucked up a few times and had to fix them b4 i posted it.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='429597' date='Jan 19 2007, 10:18 AM']its ok Jr and Sr are VERY similar and i actually fucked up a few times and had to fix them b4 i posted it.[/quote]

The funny thing is, when I replied, I actually typed Sr the first time and backspaced it and typed Jr.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Jason' post='429614' date='Jan 19 2007, 10:48 AM']The funny thing is, when I replied, I actually typed Sr the first time and backspaced it and typed Jr.[/quote]
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

During their respective time in Cincinnati, Sr was a much better talent than Jr. During their ENTIRE career Jr is the better talent. There is no way this can be argued otherwise either.

No particular order...

1. Oscar Robertson
2. Anthony Muñoz
3. Joe Morgan
4. Johnny Bench
5. Boomer Esiason

On the bubble - Pete Rose, Kenny Anderson, James Brooks, Isaac Curtis, George Foster

I don't like including current players in these sorts of lists, but there're plenty of Bengals who will deserve to be in this discussion in the long run.

Oh yeah, the best athlete in Cincinnati pro sports history is Adam Dunn.

Just kidding.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='TDB' post='429747' date='Jan 19 2007, 01:18 PM']No particular order...

1. Oscar Robertson
2. Anthony Muñoz
3. Joe Morgan
4. Johnny Bench
5. Boomer Esiason

On the bubble - Pete Rose, Kenny Anderson, James Brooks, Isaac Curtis, George Foster

I don't like including current players in these sorts of lists, but there're plenty of Bengals who will deserve to be in this discussion in the long run.

Oh yeah, the best athlete in Cincinnati pro sports history is Adam Dunn.
Just kidding.[/quote]
to leave off Frank Robinson and Ken Griffey Sr from the top 5 is nuts. To not have Rijo in ur bubble is even more nuts. How old are u anyways TDB? since ur pretty new to this site.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='429817' date='Jan 19 2007, 03:57 PM']to leave off Frank Robinson and Ken Griffey Sr from the top 5 is nuts. To not have Rijo in ur bubble is even more nuts. How old are u anyways TDB? since ur pretty new to this site.[/quote]

Yeah, Frank Robinson would have been a better pick than Boomer, so switch those two. I just listed the players that came to mind first, there are plenty of viable candidates out there. I don't think Griffey Sr. was top five caliber though.

I'm 19.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='TDB' post='429902' date='Jan 19 2007, 06:46 PM']Yeah, Frank Robinson would have been a better pick than Boomer, so switch those two. I just listed the players that came to mind first, there are plenty of viable candidates out there. I don't think Griffey Sr. was top five caliber though.

I'm 19.[/quote]
ken griffey sr was one of the best players on that team. he never got the credit he deserved tho. he is easily top 5. he did it all. amazing arm, good d, could bat 1st or 2nd, stole some bases. he was huge for them and VERY talented.

Archived