Prospect Interest Sheet

[quote name='texbengal' post='445253' date='Feb 24 2007, 02:43 PM']I went through the latest Combine interview transcripts on NFLdraftscout.com. I just found two that mentioned the Bengals by name (others said "I talked to pretty much everyone" and similar-sounding statements, but I didn't include those). They were:

Rheema McNight - WR - Notre Dame

Justin Harrell- DT - Tennessee[/quote]

Bengals | Harrell interviews with team
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:04:55 -0800

At the NFL Combine, Tennessee DT Justin Harrell said he interviewed with the Cincinnati Bengals. [b]He said character was a big issue during the interview and there were a lot of background questions[/b].

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Add - 1: (DE) Jamal Anderson. 2: (CB) David Irons. Got those from Draft Daddy's blog.

Very interesting to see the Bengals looking at some higher end DEs with Robert's deal and Justin being tagged. Don't seem to be looking at depth much, very much day 1 players. Could the Bengals be looking to move Justin?

[quote name='4th & 1' post='445685' date='Feb 25 2007, 07:04 PM']Add - 1: (DE) Jamal Anderson. 2: (CB) David Irons. Got those from Draft Daddy's blog.

Very interesting to see the Bengals looking at some higher end DEs with Robert's deal and Justin being tagged. Don't seem to be looking at depth much, very much day 1 players. Could the Bengals be looking to move Justin?[/quote]

Doubt it. I think they're just looking at this point, and Jamaal Anderson is a guy who could potentially fall onto their laps. I'm sure they're looking at other top DEs as well... I guess they interviewed Charles Johnson of GA as well, and I'm sure there are others.

BTW, Irons seems to be moving up the charts, after a strong Senior Bowl.

[quote name='texbengal' post='445735' date='Feb 25 2007, 09:28 PM']In watching the NFL Combine during the WR drills today (Sunday), I noticed Ted Ginn was talking with Mike Sheppard, the new Bengals' WR coach. Does that count?[/quote]

That's a good spot, but it's better if it's known to specifically be a recruiting conversation. I'm sure at some point our coaches talk to 75% of the drafted players.

But the idea is more along the lines of formal-type interview, pro-days, private workouts, out-of-their-way contact.

[quote name='4th & 1' post='445685' date='Feb 25 2007, 08:04 PM']Add - 1: (DE) Jamal Anderson. 2: (CB) David Irons. Got those from Draft Daddy's blog.

Very interesting to see the Bengals looking at some higher end DEs with Robert's deal and Justin being tagged. Don't seem to be looking at depth much, very much day 1 players. Could the Bengals be looking to move Justin?[/quote]

I agree with Tex, Anderson is a guy who scouts are not sure on yet. 18 to top 8 would be around a 2nd Rd pick in value differential, which is where I value Smith in terms of a trade. So yeah it's possible. Not very likely since they're both DEs.

It's more like Terrell Suggs who had draft injury concerns. Think if he had kept dropping. You've got to know whether to pull the trigger on guys who would be no-brainers if there wasn't a suspicious drop. Or Rod Wright the Texas DT from last year with a busted should who dropped from the 1st to the 4th Rd.

Look at the bright side so far, from a histogram perspective, the Bengals are scouting the right positions.

DT, DE, CB, RB, and TE.

[quote name='texbengal' post='445734' date='Feb 25 2007, 09:27 PM']Doubt it. I think they're just looking at this point, and [b]Jamaal Anderson is a guy who could potentially fall onto their laps[/b]. I'm sure they're looking at other top DEs as well... I guess they interviewed Charles Johnson of GA as well, and I'm sure there are others.

BTW, Irons seems to be moving up the charts, after a strong Senior Bowl.[/quote]

I'd be [b]SHOCKED[/b] if ANderson falls that far. Pleasantly shocked, but shocked none the less.

[quote name='texbengal' post='446176' date='Feb 26 2007, 07:54 PM']A couple of other player mentions of Bengal interviews I read about (on NFLdraftscout.com):

Sabby Picitelli - S - Oregon State

Prescott Burgess - LB - Michigan[/quote]

I like Sabby alot. I would love to get him.

NFL | Piscitelli discusses playing safety with Oregon State
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:40:18 -0800

At the NFL Combine, Oregon State S Sabby Piscitelli measured a height of 6-2 7/8 and a weight of 224 pounds. His agent is Ken Harris. During his interview, Piscitelli discussed playing linebacker with the school. "In our scheme you have to be able to do both – play the pass and the run equally. The Pac-10 spreads the ball out a lot. You've got [Southern California WRs] Steven Smith and Dwayne Jarrett – sometimes they line up in the slot. A safety like myself, I have to take care of them one-on-one which helped me tremendously with my cover skills. Hopefully that translates to the NFL and they know that. Of course, you also have to play run support at safety. It was the best of both worlds to become an overall good safety. [b]Our safeties were interchangeable [/b]– we had to play in the box and cover – to play safety needed to do both sides," Piscitelli said.

[b]Overview[/b] Sabby has started 27 consecutive games and has played in all 30 games in his college career. He is as durable as it comes and will gladly play with pain. He was one of the best safeties in the Pac-10 this year, as saw limited action at cornerback.
[b]Strengths[/b] Sabby is a very fast underrated prospect coming from Oregon St. He is tall, strong, and runs a 4.35 40, a ridiculously fast 40 time for a safety. He is always around the ball and makes big plays when his defense needs it most. He also has very good hands, finishing with 15 career interceptions, top 10 on Oregon State's all time list. Great in coverage, and good in run support. Sabby is tough as nails, very durable, and is a gerat leader among the defense.
[b]Weaknesses[/b] At times Sabby can really let down in a game. Not always the best tackler, needs to work on tackling mechanics a bit. Sometimes takes bad angles to the ballcarrier. Isn't nearly physical enough for a player his size.
[b]Projection[/b] Sabby is not among the elite safety prospects this year. There is incredible depth at the position and therefore someone like Sabby will fall. In any other year, I'd say he'd be a 2nd rounder for sure, but in a year like this one, I'd say mid-3rd round.

[url="http://condraft.com/database/pacific-10/oregon-state/sabby-piscitelli/index.html"]http://condraft.com/database/pacific-10/or...elli/index.html[/url]

Darrelle Revis, CB, Pitt 5-11, 204
Revis will only lift at the combine because of his strained hamstring. He will work out March 16 at his pro day. He's played both LC and RC and feels most comfortable in press coverage.[b] The Bengals showed great interest.[/b]

[url="http://nfldraftguys.com/features/2007_combine_04.php"]http://nfldraftguys.com/features/2007_combine_04.php[/url]

[quote name='Kochman' post='446388' date='Feb 27 2007, 09:16 AM']Darrelle Revis, CB, Pitt 5-11, 204
[b]Revis will only lift at the combine because of his strained hamstring. [/b]He will work out March 16 at his pro day. He's played both LC and RC and feels most comfortable in press coverage.[b] The Bengals showed great interest.[/b]

[url="http://nfldraftguys.com/features/2007_combine_04.php"]http://nfldraftguys.com/features/2007_combine_04.php[/url][/quote]

Shit! I wanted to see what he would run.

Guest OzBengal
A couple more to add...

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070304/COL04/703040429/1066"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../703040429/1066[/url]

DRAFT: The Bengals believe they can address defensive shortcomings through the draft, when they selected Nos. 18 and 50 on Day 1. Rounds 1 and 2 are expected to be investments in the defense.

An exhaustive list is not available, but here are some of the players the Bengals interviewed last week at the scouting combine in Indianapolis:

Safeties Sabby Piscitelli (Oregon State), Jesse Daniels (LSU) and Reggie Nelson (Florida); Nelson is projected first-round pick.

Cornerbacks Kenny Scott (Georgia Tech), Darrelle Revis (Pitt) and Daymeion Hughes (Cal); some draft experts rate Revis and Hughes as the draft's top two corners.

Outside linebacker Prescott Burgess (Michigan) and defensive tackle Justin Harrell (Tennessee) and defensive end Charles Johnson (Georgia); Harrell is a projected third-round pick who is better at stopping the run.

Offensively, the Bengals talked to tight end Clark Harris (Rutgers), receiver Rhema McKnight (Notre Dame) and quarterback Jeff Rowe (Nevada-Reno); Harris is considered a strong receiver in short range.

Talented small school quarterback Jeff Smith of Georgetown College (Ky.) is starting to get increased attention from N.F.L. teams. We were told the strong-armed, 6' 5" (plus) signal caller recently had a "great workout" in front of scouts from Indianapolis, Cleveland and Cincinnati. At least two A.F.C. teams have set up private workouts for Smith and we would not be surprised if a few more teams ask for a closer look.

[quote name='Kochman' post='453717' date='Mar 8 2007, 07:38 PM']Talented small school quarterback Jeff Smith of Georgetown College (Ky.) is starting to get increased attention from N.F.L. teams. We were told the strong-armed, 6' 5" (plus) signal caller recently had a "great workout" in front of scouts from Indianapolis, Cleveland and Cincinnati. At least two A.F.C. teams have set up private workouts for Smith and we would not be surprised if a few more teams ask for a closer look.[/quote]

I added him, but I gotta tell you, he sounds like training camp fodder. Definitely not draftable.

From NFL.com college workouts page:

The workout was held outdoors on some AstroTurf which really wasn't in good shape -- it was kind of worn down. [b]There were 30 NFL people there, including Jonathan Hayes[/b], Jeff Horton (St. Louis) and Richard Williamson (Carolina). Dennis Erickson is now the head coach at ASU, and scouts love going to his pro days. He's easy to get along with and makes it easy for the scouts to do their jobs.

Player Position Gil's comments
Jesse Ainsworth K Ainsworth (6-2 ¾, 220) worked out at the Combine. He notched a 29-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot-7 broad jump.
Stephen Berg G He was injured at the Combine and was still injured for the Pro Day. Berg (6-5 1/8, 328) had 23 bench presses.
Andrew Carnahan T Carnahan (6-7 1/8, 308) was still injured after being unable to work at the Combine. He notched 27 bench presses.
Zach Catanese S Catanese (6-2 ½, 227) was injured at the Combine and still is. He recorded 27 bench presses.
[b]Zach Miller TE He had a good workout, running better here than at the Combine. Miller (6-4 ½, 255) ran 4.76 and 4.72 in the 40 and notched a 4.36 short shuttle and 16 bench presses.
[/b]Jordan Hill DT Hill (6-2 1/8, 298) ran 5.06 and 5.03 in the 40 and notched a 27 ½-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot-7 broad jump, a 4.53 short shuttle, a 7.23 three-cone drill and 20 bench presses.

Guest OzBengal
Pro Day

SAN JOSE STATE: MARCH 6

There were 15 teams there, with Bengals assistant coach Louis Cloffi putting the DBs through the drills. There were 11 players that worked out and they ran on FieldTurf under good conditions.

Courtney Brown DB The Cal-Poly SLO product worked out at San Jose as part of their pro day and he really stood out with eye-popping numbers. He originally started school there as a wide receiver and was moved to DB in 2004. Brown (6-1 3/8, 200) ran two 40s, notching a 4.35 and 4.32. He had a vertical jump of 41 ½ inches, a 10-foot-11 broad jump, a 4.07 short shuttle, a 7.10 three-cone and 15 bench presses.

Guest OzBengal
Andy Alleman G Akron

[url="http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/sports/colleges/16873022.htm"]http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/spor...es/16873022.htm[/url]

Former Ohio State University coach John Cooper, who is a consultant with the Cincinnati Bengals, said Alleman's versatility is what makes him an attractive player.

``He's very athletic, and the thing that gets people excited is he can play guard and center,'' Cooper said.

Alleman acknowledged that he played center in practice last season and for a few downs in a game against the University at Buffalo.

``If you can find a guy that played defense, and all of a sudden he's moved to the offensive side, then the athletic ability is going to jump out at you. He'll get a shot to play'' in the NFL, Cooper said.

Archived