Buying a computer

Palmer4HOF

Ok people... I have put off buying a computer for 2 years now, and with the addition of my work giving me a laptop, I haven't had much need for a new one.

However, my personal cpu quit working roughly 2 months ago and by quit working, i mean won't turn on, won't do anything. I had to take it to microcenter in cincy to try and get my files back, but they are even having problems with that.

Regardless, I need a new computer. I don't need speakers, monitors, printer, none of that shit. All I need is a good CPU.

I use my personal CPU for searching the internet, random office work, etc. I will play the occassional CPU game (I use to like playing the Sims type games in high school and early college) but nothing to extravagent. I also mostly use my CPU for music. I got a great system (Altec system) and I would like to be able to download music fast and surf the net fast.

Any help would be awesome
My thing is this... I don't want to spend a lot on this computer. Maybe 500 bucks or less? Is there a spot on the net or does anyone make a computer that would be suitable to my needs for roughly 500?

With your passion for music, make sure to get a larger hard drive. I've got half of a terabyte and love it. If you don't game that much then a middle of the road video card should suffice. Something around 150.00 like an geforce 6800 or an ATI all in wonder should handle your needs. As for a CPU you could go with anything, depending on the money you want to spend.

If you can, I would suggest getting a bare system and upgrading it yourself. Putting in an extra hard drive, RAM, and video card isn't hard at all, and can save you some serious money. If you buy it all from a dealer like dell, the type of computer your talking about would cost you about 1000.00-1300.00 depending on the options. One thing is for certain. If you want a quicker pc, don't skimp on the RAM.

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' post='442103' date='Feb 16 2007, 04:00 PM']With your passion for music, make sure to get a larger hard drive. I've got half of a terabyte and love it. If you don't game that much then a middle of the road video card should suffice. Something around 150.00 like an geforce 6800 or an ATI all in wonder should handle your needs. As for a CPU you could go with anything, depending on the money you want to spend.

If you can, I would suggest getting a bare system and upgrading it yourself. Putting in an extra hard drive, RAM, and video card isn't hard at all, and can save you some serious money. If you buy it all from a dealer like dell, the type of computer your talking about would cost you about 1000.00-1300.00 depending on the options. One thing is for certain. If you want a quicker pc, don't skimp on the RAM.[/quote]

my girlfriends uncle builds computers, should I try and buy the parts to give to him? Do you really save that much money this way?

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' post='442103' date='Feb 16 2007, 04:00 PM']With your passion for music, make sure to get a larger hard drive. I've got half of a terabyte and love it. If you don't game that much then a middle of the road video card should suffice. Something around 150.00 like an geforce 6800 or an ATI all in wonder should handle your needs. As for a CPU you could go with anything, depending on the money you want to spend.

If you can, I would suggest getting a bare system and upgrading it yourself. Putting in an extra hard drive, RAM, and video card isn't hard at all, and can save you some serious money. If you buy it all from a dealer like dell, the type of computer your talking about would cost you about 1000.00-1300.00 depending on the options. One thing is for certain. If you want a quicker pc, don't skimp on the RAM.[/quote]

Good advice, I belive TG sells barebones systems as well. Then you can just add what you want on top of that.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='442105' date='Feb 16 2007, 04:04 PM']Also, I am at Tigerdirect.com right now, should I only buy Intel and Windows Vista or what? I am confused with this whole process.[/quote]

Im running a AMD processor I got a few years ago with Vista and have zero issues with it, so...

But Im not really all that up on the newer stuff, I'd go with what others tell you, i just like TG for cheap prices and thought Id pass it along.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='442105' date='Feb 16 2007, 04:04 PM']Also, I am at Tigerdirect.com right now, should I only buy Intel and Windows Vista or what? I am confused with this whole process.[/quote]

I have an AMD 64 3400 and love it. It's a little behind the times, but it gets the job done well. The easiest way to explain the difference between the two is that Intel is better for professional processes and AMD is better for gaming. Both are solid processors, and you'll get the same value out of them. Both will run Vista.

Dual core is prime for multitasking, but it's not necessarily needed for what you want out of a pc. Really you need to sit down and ask what you want to get of your computer for maybe the next 2-5 years, and how much you want to spend.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='442108' date='Feb 16 2007, 04:12 PM']So are there any sites where I can personalize computers and they build it for me and send it out to me?[/quote]

I know Dell does that, and I like their quality too.

[url="http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dimen_advanced?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs"]http://www.dell.com/content/products/featu...;l=en&s=dhs[/url]

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' post='442109' date='Feb 16 2007, 04:13 PM']I have an AMD 64 3400 and love it. It's a little behind the times, but it gets the job done well. The easiest way to explain the difference between the two is that Intel is better for professional processes and AMD is better for gaming. Both are solid processors, and you'll get the same value out of them. Both will run Vista.

Dual core is prime for multitasking, but it's not necessarily needed for what you want out of a pc. Really you need to sit down and ask what you want to get of your computer for maybe the next 2-5 years, and how much you want to spend.[/quote]

Again solid advice. AMD vs Intel really depends on what you want. And from what you describe either will do fine so probabally go with what is more powerfull at a cheaper price, which is usually AMD.

I've only built my own systems, but I buy quite a bit from [url="http://www.newegg.com"]newegg.com[/url] (and I've also bought a few things from [url="http://www.mave.com"]mwave.com[/url]). I think you may be able to configure barebones machines on both. Not sure off the top of my head though. I do know that I've been very happy with newegg's return/warranty service. I had a Power Supply die after 11 months. They ask that you include the original receipt and box...I didn't have them and they replaced it for me anyway. (The warrenty was a 12 month)

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='442107' date='Feb 16 2007, 04:07 PM']Im running a AMD processor I got a few years ago with Vista and have zero issues with it, so...

But Im not really all that up on the newer stuff, I'd go with what others tell you, i just like TG for cheap prices and thought Id pass it along.[/quote]

They do have some great deals. I love them, Newegg.com, and Zipzoomfly.com. All three have a lot choose from and very competitive prices. Newegg has the best shiping imo.

Guest mongoloido
Intel is smoking AMD at the moment. If I were you, I'd talk to that uncle and ask him if he'd help you figure out the best system for you within your price range. You will save money, but you're going to want his input.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='442116' date='Feb 16 2007, 04:19 PM']I've only built my own systems, but I buy quite a bit from [url="http://www.newegg.com"]newegg.com[/url] (and I've also bought a few things from [url="http://www.mave.com"]mwave.com[/url]). I think you may be able to configure barebones machines on both. Not sure off the top of my head though. I do know that I've been very happy with newegg's return/warranty service. I had a Power Supply die after 11 months. They ask that you include the original receipt and box...I didn't have them and they replaced it for me anyway. (The warrenty was a 12 month)[/quote]
newegg is the shit, baby. Very near the best prices anywhere and the awesome service makes it well worth the extra $2.

Archived