XU vs. OSU, Second Round

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='458373' date='Mar 18 2007, 01:52 PM']I love how you completely ignore the over the back on OSU before the second chance miss by Lighty happened. Like I said, both teams were being physical there.

Oden clearly was clearly "getting his money's worth", and he should have paid the price for it. That was more than a personal foul, OBVIOUSLY.
What you're saying is, "well, its okay, you're frustrated....have at him, just knock him out next time if we miss a call." I mean, that's ludacris.[/quote]

All fouls are intetional, when one team is down by 2 points with 10 seconds on the clock.
The question is whether or not it was flagrant. Flagrancy is a judgment call, and few refs will call it at that
stage of a game. They left the game in the players' hands. OSU made the plays when it counted, Xavier didn't.
Accept it.

[quote][b] I know you're a complete OSU homer which makes you devoid of logical reason when the Buckeyes are involved, but this was clear as day.[/b][/quote]

Don`t be an ass. I`m as devoid of logical reasoning as you are.

I`ve shown you a picture of Oden being fouled, that wasn`t called, right before he
was called for a foul. Yet you want to ignore THAT FOUL and bitch because the
foul that WAS CALLED wasn`t enough punishment for you ?

I`ve gave Xavier props in this thread. Maybe you should stop chewing on those
sour grapes and give Ohio State some...

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='458374' date='Mar 18 2007, 01:55 PM']Oden goes over the back on EVERY single rebound. If he was intelligent enough to know what boxing out was then he would pull in 20-25 a game. Chances are he is too fucking stupid to understand that though and from knowing/meeting Thad Matta, i dont thikn he would know it either.[/quote]

The more you respond the more of a fool you prove to be.

lolz hay guyz wanna make funz of odenz?!!11 roflcopter

jesus christ, get the fuck over it already. oden fouled the guy to stop the clock, its not like there was any malicious intent there. have some pride and move on already, xavier is damn good but the better team won.

It's taken me two days to digest this loss, but I'm back to congratulate OSU on the win. No hard feelings on any calls or lack there of. In the end, it came down to one missed free throw that should have iced the game. Cage didn't hit it, and OSU did what they had to do to win in OT. Can't blame Cage, though, that guy left it all on the court that game.

When the game went into OT, I knew it wasn't good. I turned to my g/f while we were waiting for it to begin and said that we weren't going to fare well. X had been in their ball control offense too long and weren't going to be able to go into attack mode quick enough. OSU, on the other hand, had been playing lights out the last three minutes and I could just tell that they were going to keep rolling.

Honestly, last night I had dreams of watching Cage miss that free throw and it was the first thing I thought about when I woke up. We were sitting directly behind that basket, and I think that shot will be permanently branded into my mind. Not trying to be overdramatic, but I have no idea why I took that loss so hard. I was thinking about it today, and the best way that I can describe it is it's like being a jilted lover. After a long period of time, you finally get that chance to prove the "jilter" wrong and perhaps exact some revenge. The plan goes exceedingly well, but at the last minute, something wrong happens, you end up drunk, slurring your words, falling off a stool into a pool of your own vomit and they walk away with the upper hand again. Damnit. Yeah, it's like that.

Anyway, we at least accomplished our mission in proving that OSU is not infallible, Oden can be taken out of a game and X deserved to be in the tourney (so suck it, Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale).

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='458551' date='Mar 19 2007, 01:57 AM']lolz hay guyz wanna make funz of odenz?!!11 roflcopter
jesus christ, get the fuck over it already. oden fouled the guy to stop the clock, its not like there was any malicious intent there. have some pride and move on already, xavier is damn good but the better team won.[/quote]

All of those fouls are intentional. Should the refs call intentional fouls when a foul's committed to stop the clock? There's intent, the coach is screaming for them to foul. That would kill the whole strategy if the team fouled gets shots and the ball and a fresh shot clock. Intentional foul calls should be reserved for when players get hacked to prevent them from making an easy basket. Especially if they're in the air in mid-layup/dunk.

It looked like Oden was a little over-zealous, but there could have been a little master thespian involved too. He wanted to make sure the foul was called. I saw a couple instances over the weekend where seconds were wasted because it took a team two or three hacks before the refs called a foul.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='458384' date='Mar 18 2007, 03:43 PM']All fouls are intetional, when one team is down by 2 points with 10 seconds on the clock.[/quote]

Do you even watch basketball? They call flagrant and/or intentional foul (which that most certainly was) at the end of games, with frustrated players acting on those frustrations. Go back and watch the WCC final between Gonzaga and Santa Clara.

The sooner you, and most OSU fans learn there's not one set of rule for Ohio State and one set of rules for everybody else the better off the sporting world will be.

Funny thing is I'm not even arguing over who won the game, but you can't even realize that. I dislike XU basketball easily more than OSU basketball (UC fan) so save the hater rebuttle.

Xavier should have fouled OSU when they were up by 3 so that OSU gets 2 free throws IMO. Dont even give them a chance to hit that tying shot with 2 seconds left.

The foul by Oden could have been intentional or flagrant but in that situation, the ref is NOT going to call a flagrant foul. You have to earn the victory, not have it handed to you this time of year.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='458713' date='Mar 19 2007, 10:57 AM']Do you even watch basketball?[/quote]

No. I usually just read articles afterwards and look at the colorful pictures. :rolleyes:

[quote]They call flagrant and/or intentional foul (which that most certainly was) at the end of games, with frustrated players acting on those frustrations. Go back and watch the WCC final between Gonzaga and Santa Clara.[/quote]

Refs call games differently. So what refs do during one game, has absolutely
nothing to do with how refs call another game.

There is an old saying, "it`s not a foul unless it`s called."

There was a lot of banging going on throughout the game.
There was at least 2 fouls comitted, that wasn`t called, before the foul was called on Oden.
Obviously the refs were letting the players play, even prior to the foul in question.

A flagrant personal foul involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball.
Well considering how the refs were overlooking obvious fouls, and they were
letting VERY physical play go on, then Oden`s foul wasn`t really "excessive or severe".

You know how I know it wasn`t "excessive or severe" ? Because it wasn`t fucking called !

[quote]The sooner you, and most OSU fans learn there's not one set of rule for Ohio State and one set of rules for everybody else the better off the sporting world will be.[/quote]

You`ve been an ass to me several times in this thread, and it is uncalled for.

So with that said...

Dude fuck off. I root for Xavier. I`ve stated that Ohio State is my favorite, followed by UC,
then Xavier. I want all 3 teams to win unless/until they are playing each other.

[quote]Funny thing is I'm not even arguing over who won the game, but you can't even realize that. I dislike XU basketball easily more than OSU basketball (UC fan) so save the hater rebuttle.[/quote]

I don`t give a fuck who you "say" you hate "more" than the other.
Seriously.

You`re arguing about a judgement call, on a 5th foul, on a player that was a non
factor from there on out, in a game that was very physical.

If the refs would have called a flagrant foul, they would have given Xavier,
who was already up by 2 points, 2 free throws, and the ball, with 10 seconds left.
So yeah, you are basically arguing over who won.

Yet act like I`m some "OSU Homer devoid of logical reasoning, that thinks there is a different
set of rule for my Buckeyes" and that doesn`t know what the fuck I`m talking about... :lol:

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]What I've gathered on the Oden foul[/b][/size]

Since this seems to be the topic that won't go away...I talked to four college coaches and two college officials.... I asked for their opinion/interpretation of the 5th foul on Oden and if it should have been ruled intentional/flagrant. I feel even better about my initial thought. Only one I spoke with thought it could have been ruled intentional.
It seems to be more of a fan driven debate, and I can certainly understand the passion of the Xavier fans involved.
[b]Highlights of what was told to me:[/b]

"A frustration foul does not = an intentional foul...."
"It must be obvious...a swing, punch, undercut or a breakaway takedown"
"At the time, the thought of an intentional didn't even enter my mind"
"I actually thought OSU was fouled on the putback"
"As a coach, on either team in that situation, I'd prefer an intentional foul not be called...it would have to be a situation where you undercut someone when they are airborne"
"Intentional fouls on a scrum under the basket are so rare, I certainly don't recall many"
"Any foul by a 7ft 280 lb player is going to look harsh.....I equate it to a Shaq foul."
"This is easy........If you have questions about it, it's not intentional...it must be obvious."
"You are taught to give the benefit of the doubt"
"CBS's crew did not even make an issue of it"

[b]Here are three points given to me by a college official of 20+ years.[/b]
1. The assignment chairman for these conferences/leagues have required meetings every offseason where game situations are reviewed and discussed. End of game issues are always on the agenda.
2. Here is what we were told on a number of different occasions over many seasons by a number of different assignment chairmen and many coaches who attended these meetings: if the foul is blatantly/unequivocally intentional: a punch that connects, a hard push where the player gets seriously injured, an undercut where the player sails through the air and lands on his back or head then you are instructed/required to call such a foul intentional or flagrant.

3. If on the other hand there is some doubt in your mind about the severity of the foul and the factors listed above are absent you were instructed NOT to call it intentional or flagrant and "let the kids decide the outcome of the game."

4. This makes such a call very subjective and subject to officials' interpretation but they have drilled it into your head that at the end of the game there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that it was intentional and if it is questionable you are expected to opt for the less serious foul.
Lance, This is what I believe caused the official to make the call he did (although I do not necessarily agree with the decision, I am explaining why I think it was called the way it was).[/quote]

[url="http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html"]http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html[/url]

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='458551' date='Mar 19 2007, 01:57 AM'][b]lolz hay guyz wanna make funz of odenz?!!11 roflcopter[/b]
jesus christ, get the fuck over it already. oden fouled the guy to stop the clock, its not like there was any malicious intent there. have some pride and move on already, xavier is damn good but the better team won.[/quote]
it is loads of fun :D

[quote name='oldschooler' post='458806' date='Mar 19 2007, 02:24 PM'][url="http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html"]http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html[/url][/quote]
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

uve had some good points in this thread, but using lance as a quote is like using BAB's tips to pick up a girl.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='Ben' post='458829' date='Mar 19 2007, 03:12 PM']A-Men trying to talk about anything OSU related is like to the Taliban talking about christmas.[/quote]
:thumbsup:

[quote name='oldschooler' post='458806' date='Mar 19 2007, 02:24 PM'][url="http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html"]http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html[/url][/quote]

I'm shocked that Lance would side with his buddy Thad Matta. Shocked. <_<

Here's an article for you:

[quote]There has been less questioning about the foul Oden put on Cage. Experts side with Xavier. After Cage rebounded an Ohio State miss close to the basket, Oden appeared to shove Cage in the back and out of bounds. An intentional or excessive contact foul would have given Cage two shots and Xavier the ball. It wasn’t called.

One official with knowledge of the situation said this week that two highly respected refs he’d talked to who had seen the play thought the foul was intentional. Yet, given the situation, the ref believed only five or six out of 10 officials would have called it that way.

“Sometimes an official can get too close to the play,” he said. “If he’s facing Cage, he may not have seen the push, just the reaction to the contact.”

The rule book is clear on the subject: Rule 4, Section 26, Article 6 states an intentional personal foul “shall be a personal foul that on the basis of an official’s observation of the act may be purposeful or reactionary … causing excessive, non-flagrant contact with an opponent.” Further, an intentional foul is defined as “pushing or holding a player from behind.”[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070321/COL03/303210037"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...COL03/303210037[/url]

So go ahead, let me know why the rules of college basketball are wrong...

Proving you and other OSU fans wrong on a clear as day call isn't being an ass, it just providing the truth. But overreact away...

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='460060' date='Mar 21 2007, 04:32 PM']I'm shocked that Lance would side with his buddy Thad Matta. Shocked. <_<
[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070321/COL03/303210037"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...COL03/303210037[/url]

So go ahead, let me know why the rules of college basketball are wrong...
Proving you and other OSU fans wrong on a clear as day call isn't being an ass, it just providing the truth. But overreact away...[/quote]
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='460060' date='Mar 21 2007, 03:32 PM']I'm shocked that Lance would side with his buddy Thad Matta. Shocked. <_<

So go ahead, let me know why the rules of college basketball are wrong...[/quote]

I`m shocked that the Enquirer would write an article to let Xavier fans think it`s
OK to have their panties bunched up. SHOCKED I TELL YA ! <_<

From your article...

[quote]Yet, given the situation, the ref believed only [b]five or six out of 10 officials [/b]would have called it that way.

“Sometimes an official can get too close to the play,” he said. “If he’s facing Cage, he may not have seen the push, just the reaction to the contact.”[/quote]

The mugging of Oden would be called a foul 50-60% of the time in any situation.
So what`s your point ?

[quote]Proving you and other OSU fans wrong on a clear as day call isn't being an ass, it just providing the truth. But overreact away...[/quote]

You provided an article that says it [b]wouldn`t[/b] be called in that situation [b]40-50%[/b] of the time.
Well, guess what ? It wasn`t an intentional foul, because it wasn`t called an intentional foul.
So I guess this instance falls in your "experts" 40-50%.

Whoa, you really proved me wrong didn`t you ?

So see, you weren`t being an ass by "proving me wrong", you were being an ass by saying
"I`m deviod of logical reasoning" and "I think the rules are different for Ohio State"
or other horseshit that you were spewing my direction.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='460152' date='Mar 21 2007, 06:00 PM']:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:[/quote]

:lol:

:pointlaff:

Archived