XU vs. OSU, Second Round

I've never bothered to mention Xavier basketball on here, because I'm probably the only fan on this board. BUT, I just had to get it out that I am pumped by our seeding. Not only is the game in Lexington (just got my tickets), but we have a chance to play OSU in the second round and stick it to ol' Beaknose himself. Bring it on, Matta. We'll be ready to exact some sweet revenge. :headbang:

[quote name='WD40' post='455333' date='Mar 11 2007, 11:28 PM']I've never bothered to mention Xavier basketball on here, because I'm probably the only fan on this board. BUT, I just had to get it out that I am pumped by our seeding. Not only is the game in Lexington (just got my tickets), but we have a chance to play OSU in the second round and stick it to ol' Beaknose himself. Bring it on, Matta. We'll be ready to exact some sweet revenge. :headbang:[/quote]

Before they started announcing the rest of the field I turned to my son and told him I hope they put Xavier in with OSU, Xavier can pull off the upset

If they play to their abilities, they can hang with anyone. But, rarely have they done that this year.

The setting is all too perfect, though. Cage, Doellman and Cole all going out in their senior year with a chance to take out the man that deserted them. Couldn't write a better scenario.

Now, they just can't get caught up in it and look past the Mormons.

[quote name='Storm' post='455337' date='Mar 11 2007, 07:43 PM']Before they started announcing the rest of the field I turned to my son and told him I hope they put Xavier in with OSU, Xavier can pull off the upset[/quote]
LAWLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

I think the committee's pairing is sweet and I hope Xavier can pull off the upset but I just don't see it. OSU's Oden alone is too talented, let alone the rest of the squad, for XU to handle. Xavier is too soft to beat a team like OSU. Sorry!

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
i am a xavier follower. i was a much bigger fan when skip was here. havent cared for thad or sean miller much, but i will root for them.

[quote name='WD40' post='455341' date='Mar 11 2007, 08:05 PM'][b]If they play to their abilities, they can hang with anyone. [/b] But, rarely have they done that this year.

The setting is all too perfect, though. Cage, Doellman and Cole all going out in their senior year with a chance to take out the man that deserted them. Couldn't write a better scenario.

Now, they just can't get caught up in it and look past the Mormons.[/quote]

Not if OSU plays to their ability.

I'll admit, it's an uphill battle, but I've witnessed lesser Xavier teams do more (Elite 8 in Atlanta).

There are two major problems facing X. 1) they can be soft. There are two XU teams: the one that tries to coast through games and win playing an uninspired game (UC, Bucknell, Rhode Island, Duquesne losses), and the team that plays inspired team basketball (the 9 game win strak, crushing everyone in the way). Unfortunately, the former team has shown up for too often for my liking. 2) Greg Oden. He is the only major matchup problem. X's only hope is to throw all thier big bodies at him, wear him down and frustrate him. I think that X actually matches up pretty well with the rest of the OSU squad.

Whatever the teams look like on paper, never discount X. They have a major chip on their shoulder still about Matta. Especially this Senior class, Matta's last recruiting class. Add to that guys like Jay Bilas and Ron Hunter (coach at IUPUI) who are saying that it is a joke that X got in as a 9 seed, and it is fostering an "X versus the world" mentality. This is largely the reason they got 2 points away from the Final 4 (would have been there if not for homeristic Duke officiating, but that is another story).

Guest oldschooler

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] @ some of the haters in this thread !

:pointlaff:

GO BUCKS !

GO VILLANOVA (FUCK UK !)

GO VCU ! (FUCK DUKE !)

AND GO XAVIER AGAINST BYU, SO I CAN WATCH OHIO STATE BEAT YOUR ASS ON THE WAY TO THE SWEET 16 !

[quote name='oldschooler' post='455912' date='Mar 13 2007, 02:00 PM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] @ some of the haters in this thread !

GO BUCKS !

GO VILLANOVA (FUCK UK !)

GO VCU ! (FUCK DUKE !)

AND GO XAVIER AGAINST BYU, SO I CAN WATCH OHIO STATE BEAT YOUR ASS ON THE WAY TO THE SWEET 16 ![/quote]

:headbang:

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='455931' date='Mar 13 2007, 01:16 PM']I hope Oden's hand gets crushed in one of OSU's famous elevators, a sign from God that Xavier is to reign supreme.[/quote]

Actually, no. I hope Oden is alive and well for the game, that way there are no excuses when X shocks the world.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='455912' date='Mar 13 2007, 12:30 PM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] @ some of the haters in this thread !

GO BUCKS !

GO VILLANOVA (FUCK UK !)

GO VCU ! (FUCK DUKE !)

AND GO XAVIER AGAINST BYU, SO I CAN WATCH OHIO STATE BEAT YOUR ASS ON THE WAY TO THE SWEET 16 ![/quote]

Why the strong hate for area teams, Old? Are you really a State fan, or a disgrunteld UC homer? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//39.gif[/img]

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='WD40' post='456061' date='Mar 13 2007, 04:11 PM']Why the strong hate for area teams, Old? Are you really a State fan, or a disgrunteld UC homer? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img][/quote]

There is no strong hate for Xavier, but I do have it for Kensucky.

I root for Xavier, when they`re not playing UC or Ohio State.
I root for UC, when they`re not playing Ohio State.

I root for Ohio State over everyone else. Always have, always will...

Well, third on your pecking list is about as much as I can ask for.

Here's to a great game, hope it turns out as one of the best in the tourney, regardless of who wins. If your going, let me know and I'll buy you a beer (if they sell it at NCAA tourney events). Everything from my trip to Atlanta was a blur, so I can't remember if I got drunk inside the arena or before the game.

Guest oldschooler
Here`s to a good game !

And thanks for the offer, but no I won`t be going.

I`m in Wisconsin, just bought a house and have been removing wallpaper/painting.
I`m up to my neck in home remodeling shit...

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='oldschooler' post='456674' date='Mar 14 2007, 04:35 PM']Here`s to a good game !

[b]I`m in Wisconsin, just bought a house and have been removing wallpaper/painting.
I`m up to my neck in home remodeling shit...[/b][/quote]
that shits for homos, call up jamieb and he can get it taken care of in less than a day, then u can go.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='456674' date='Mar 14 2007, 04:35 PM']Here`s to a good game !

I`m in Wisconsin, just bought a house and have been removing wallpaper/painting.
I`m up to my neck in home remodeling shit...[/quote]

Too bad, should be a good time. Found out they don't serve beer in the arena, but there is a Hyatt attached that has alcohol. Better than nothing, I guess.

Happy wallpapering.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='455912' date='Mar 13 2007, 12:30 PM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] @ some of the haters in this thread !

GO BUCKS !

GO VILLANOVA (FUCK UK !)

GO VCU ! (FUCK DUKE !)

Speaking of haters...

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='JC' post='456753' date='Mar 14 2007, 06:17 PM']Speaking of haters...[/quote]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='455912' date='Mar 13 2007, 11:30 AM']GO BUCKS ![/quote]

[quote]GO VILLANOVA (FUCK UK !)[/quote]

Still waiting for Kensucky to play so I can watch them lose...

[quote]GO VCU ! (FUCK DUKE !)[/quote]

[quote]AND GO XAVIER AGAINST BYU, SO I CAN WATCH OHIO STATE BEAT YOUR ASS ON THE WAY TO THE SWEET 16 ![/quote]

Good game by Xavier.

But BYU ain`t no Ohio State . . . GO BUCKS !

[quote name='WD40' post='456725' date='Mar 14 2007, 06:21 PM']Too bad, should be a good time. Found out they don't serve beer in the arena, but there is a Hyatt attached that has alcohol. Better than nothing, I guess.

Happy wallpapering.[/quote]

Great to see X fans on the board!!! I'm a X grad (2003) and actually ordered the single game from DirecTV tonight. I missed the first few minutes of the game since DTV didn't process order right when I had called in earlier. Hell of a game and can't wait to see Thad and Co on Saturday. If there is one thing going for us it's that Thad Matta is the opponent's coach. I always questioned his in game coaching skills, even while at X. While Matta was at X and esp. that famed Elite 8 run, Miller was credited in some circles as being the catalyst for "The Run".

How about my man D. Brown tonight???!?! I think he just grabbed another board from the locker room giving him an even 20. That kid is going to be a star.

[quote name='BengalsNYC' post='457322' date='Mar 16 2007, 12:38 AM']Great to see X fans on the board!!! I'm a X grad (2003) and actually ordered the single game from DirecTV tonight. I missed the first few minutes of the game since DTV didn't process order right when I had called in earlier. Hell of a game and can't wait to see Thad and Co on Saturday. If there is one thing going for us it's that Thad Matta is the opponent's coach. I always questioned his in game coaching skills, even while at X. While Matta was at X and esp. that famed Elite 8 run, Miller was credited in some circles as being the catalyst for "The Run".

How about my man D. Brown tonight???!?! I think he just grabbed another board from the locker room giving him an even 20. That kid is going to be a star.[/quote]

An absolutely amazing game. D. Brown and J. Doellman came up big time last night. It's a good thing, too, because Drew didn't get the memo until the last five minutes (and Stanley never got it) that they were playing for their tournament lives. I knew BYU would be a tough battle, and it was even tougher than I thought it would be.

I, too, am an X grad (2000), and I'll tell you that, aside from the Elite 8 game, I've never been in such a jacked up arena. there were probably 5-8K X fans there, and as the game wore on, we converted the OSU and 'Ville fans to our side. By the end, they were as loud as the rest of us and truly enjoying the game. the overwhelming majority of fans ar from the 'Ville, and I've been assured that they will be pulling for X in the game tomorrow, so that will be a big help.

GO MUSKIES.

Yeah, Cole played his part. But if not for Doellman (our only consistent offense all night) and Brown (16 rebounds, nuff said), this team would be sitting at home right now.

Cole will definitely need to come up big tomorrow, along with Duncan, Cage, doellman, Simon, Waymire, that fat guy in the third row, etc., in frustrating Oden and making him earn everything he does. The only way to win is to shut down the perimeter and let Oden have his 20; but make him work harder than he ever has for every bit of it. Regarldess of what happens, I expect a war. State will definitely remember tomorrow's game.

Archived