The Head Coach Poll

All time favorite  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your all time favorite head coach for the Bengals?

• Paul Brown
    • Forrest Gregg
    • Sam Wyche
    • Marvin Lewis
    • Other - Name below

Guest BengalBacker

Forrest Gregg was a take no shit, all business, mean son of a bitch. Good qualities for a football coach.

Sam was a have fun kind of a guy, but it was an 'us against the world' attitude that he brought, and for the most part, his players loved him. He was also an amateur magician, and that mentality brought us the no huddle and the best play fake offense that's ever existed. He was very innovative and unconventional. His teams seemed to either come in first or last in the division though. Even in the down years, Sam was very entertaining.

He's near the top of my list of people I'd love to get high with. :D

[quote name='Elflocko' post='465274' date='Mar 31 2007, 03:47 PM']If I remember correctly, it wasn't throat cancer.

Sam has a chronic heart condition, and when they were treating him for that were putting in a chest tube (or other medical dohicky) down his throat and severed one of his vocal cords.

No cancer to my knowledge, but the condition he has will eventually require a heart transplant. I just read an article about him recently and he said his doctor is always surprised he's still alive since he theoretically needed the transplant 10 years ago or something...[/quote]

2000: Underwent a biopsy on lymph nodes in his chest. His left vocal cord was severed during the procedure, leaving his voice consistently hoarse and scratchy.

Yep - I think you were right

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='465254' date='Mar 31 2007, 02:55 PM']Not long before the game where we ran up the score on Houston, Glanville had called Sam Wicky Wacky.

Sam shut him the fuck up.[/quote]

Actually, it was some fuckstick Pissburgh coach (Dick Hoak I think?) who coined the phrase.

Anyhow...Sam by far.

[quote name='Jason' post='465142' date='Mar 31 2007, 10:00 AM']Sam will be my favorite until someone else brings home The Trophy. Between his feud with Jerry Glanville, his "you don't live in Cleveland", and the gatorade duel with Fulcher at the end of the 88 AFCC game, he had more personality than any other head coach we have had.[/quote]

X2

And what a good person he was to boot. The man tried to sneak by autographs during summer training when it was in Wilmington. You used to have to mug the players as they walked through the parking lot on the way to the field so you could get autographs. It was a thing that everyone did, and most players were pretty cool about it. Anyways, I caught jWyche out of the corner of my eye and bolted to get his autograph. He stopped, gave me a smile, signed the back of my training manual, patted me on the head and bolted. Good guy. I still have that manual with my football card collection... Ahhh the memories...

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Le Tigre' post='465287' date='Mar 31 2007, 04:20 PM']Actually, it was some fuckstick Pissburgh coach (Dick Hoak I think?) who coined the phrase.

Anyhow...Sam by far.[/quote]

I'll be damned, you're right.

[url="http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2765772&page=3"]http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2765772&page=3[/url]

All these years I've blamed Glanville for that. Now that I think about it, I think Glanville had referenced it in an interview or something. Seems like he was asked something about Sam and he said something like "people call him wicky wacky for a reason". I'm almost sure that Glanville's comments were the reason Sam ran up the score. I know they had a feud going and I thought that was a big part of it. Could be wrong though.

I clicked Marvin, but I immediately regretted it for Sam. I remember that Oilers v Bengals game. It was bitter sweet. Being in Baltimore it wasn't very often you got to see a Bengals game on TV. Well they had the game on for that particular Sunday. Unfortunately that ass kicking was so bad they pulled the game and aired another closer game.

The video clip and the conversations with the players after the 88 championship shows you the striking difference between how fun football used to be compared to how dry and business-like it is now. It makes me a little sick.

[quote name='schotzee' post='465158' date='Mar 31 2007, 09:40 AM']When Glanville was with the Oilers ,Sam ran up the score big time on them.Went for onside kick when we were up big,went for the extra two :thumbsup: :D .Yeah ,Sam didn't like him much.The Fulcher episode I don't recall exactly.[/quote]
Hell yeah! I was at this one with my dad. The crowd chanting "jerry" "jerry" Not like Jerry springer show , but slower.
61-7 ass kicking (then they got us back later that year like 48-10 or something)
58-7 after scoing with 50 seconds left. We onsides kick ...get it ...one or two plays into field goal range, and kick ther fucking field goal. Unbeleivable!!

PS Sam for now, but who knows after a few more Marvin years (fingers crossed)

Archived