You got to love lawmakers.

Jamie_B

To quote BJ ... "What is in the Maca water of VA?"

[url="http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1818.asp"]http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1818.asp[/url]

(if you dont pick up on it the delgate who got this passed is a traffic lawyer thus gets money to be your representation)

[quote]Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket
Virginia legislator introduces new speeding ticket tax that boosts penalties beyond $3550, driving business to his traffic law firm.

Virginia motorists convicted of minor traffic violations will face a new, multi-year tax beginning July 1. Led by state Delegate David B. Albo (R-Springfield), lawmakers slipped a driver responsibility tax into a larger transportation funding bill signed by Governor Tim Kaine (D) in April. Albo, a senior partner in the Albo & Oblon, LLP traffic law firm, can expect to see a significant increase in business as motorists seek to protect their wallet from traffic tickets that come with assessments of up to $3000 in addition to an annual point tax that tops out at $700 a year for as long as the points remain.

"The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue," the new law states. (Virginia Code 46.2-206.1)

Driving as little as 15 MPH over the limit on an interstate highway now brings six license demerit points, a fine of up to $2500, up to one year in jail, and a new mandatory $1050 tax. The law also imposes an additional annual fee of up to $100 if a prior conviction leaves the motorist with a balance of eight demerit points, plus $75 for each additional point (up to $700 a year). The conviction in this example remains on the record for five years.

Other six-point convictions include "failing to give a proper signal," "passing a school bus" or "driving with an obstructed view." The same $1050 assessment applies, but the conviction remains on the record for eleven years.

Although the amount of the tax can add up quickly, the law forbids judges from reducing or suspending it in any way. The tax applies only to Virginia residents, so that out-of-state motorists only need to pay the regular ticket amount. Michigan, New Jersey, New York and Texas also impose a somewhat more modest driver responsibility tax which they apply to out-of-state residents.

The Virginia Supreme Court provides a full explanation of the new penalties for each traffic infraction in the 34k PDF file at the source link below.[/quote]

[quote name='rudi32' post='504148' date='Jun 25 2007, 04:52 PM']thats BS....thats way too much $ for a ticket

in ky tickets are around 150-200$

to me thats still too much.

tickets should be about $25-50 bucks.

its the points that get you in the end not the $[/quote]

They are doing it to raise money for road construction in northen va, because everyone else in va votes down a tax increase because they dont live up here and it doesnt effect them.

Greed on both ends.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='504150' date='Jun 25 2007, 04:54 PM']They are doing it to raise money for road construction in northen va, because everyone else in va votes down a tax increase because they dont live up here and it doesnt effect them.
Greed on both ends.[/quote]

[i]Did you see the extra $20 for your vehicle registration?

What kinda roads you'all building up there anyways?[/i]

[img]http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/14/77/22187714.jpg[/img]

Guest CincyInDC
[quote name='Lawman' post='504161' date='Jun 25 2007, 05:23 PM'][i]Did you see the extra $20 for your vehicle registration?

[img]http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/14/77/22187714.jpg[/img][/quote]

According to the Post, Hampton Roads was bellyaching for the transportation $$, too. From this morning's Express: "We could charge everybody an extra 100 bucks a year or we could charge abusive drivers, the people who abuse the roads. People with good driving records don't have to pay." -Del. Dave Albo, Fairfax County

If you look at how much license plates cost in KY, you see why their roads are ahead of population/demand in many cases. The bottom line is that you get what you pay for--or maybe you don't get what you don't pay for.

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='504172' date='Jun 25 2007, 05:36 PM']According to the Post, Hampton Roads was bellyaching for the transportation $$, too. From this morning's Express: "We could charge everybody an extra 100 bucks a year or we could charge abusive drivers, the people who abuse the roads. People with good driving records don't have to pay." -Del. Dave Albo, Fairfax County

If you look at how much license plates cost in KY, you see why their roads are ahead of population/demand in many cases. The bottom line is that you get what you pay for--or maybe you don't get what you don't pay for.[/quote]

And of course Albo makes out when the firm he works for represents the people he helped to get this pass on. So he's giving it to you in the ashe and not giving you the curtiousy reach around.

Everyone uses the roads, everyone should be responsible to help raise the funds for them. Raise my taxes, dont give me a fine that would criple my driving ablites if I got caught not using my turn signal a few days before I got my liscence renewed, because if Im a poor or even middle class family 1000 dollars isnt somethng people keep laying around.

[quote name='Lawman' post='504161' date='Jun 25 2007, 05:23 PM'][i]Did you see the extra $20 for your vehicle registration?

[img]http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/14/77/22187714.jpg[/img][/quote]

I dont have an issue with them wanting to raise money for the roads, the traffic situation is horrible up here. I have issue with the way they are doing it.

[quote name='Lawman' post='504161' date='Jun 25 2007, 10:23 PM'][i]Did you see the extra $20 for your vehicle registration?

close....

[img]http://www.springfieldinterchange.com/images/after.jpg[/img]

Guest CincyInDC
[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='504430' date='Jun 26 2007, 08:06 AM']close....

[img]http://www.springfieldinterchange.com/images/after.jpg[/img][/quote]

That ^^^^ just got finished. People say it's more confusing (oh really?), but they'll just get used to it.

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='504172' date='Jun 25 2007, 05:36 PM']According to the Post, Hampton Roads was bellyaching for the transportation $$, too. From this morning's Express: "We could charge everybody an extra 100 bucks a year or we could charge abusive drivers, the people who abuse the roads. People with good driving records don't have to pay." -Del. Dave Albo, Fairfax County

If you look at how much license plates cost in KY, you see why their roads are ahead of population/demand in many cases. The bottom line is that you get what you pay for--or maybe you don't get what you don't pay for.[/quote]

roads in kentucky are garbage, driving to bengals camp i fear for my life, them there roads made for da trucks with da big ol tires, i took great pleasure in breaking news to a relative who moved to KY, as they bitched about license fees.. "wait till you register your new plates" they had no idea, and two brand new cars, 1 new truck and a new something or other...

comedy at its best..

"oh its so much cheaper to live down here"

costs $15 in gas to see a mall, let alone work or school(which is in ohio)...

good times. kentucky sucks.

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='504442' date='Jun 26 2007, 09:02 AM']That ^^^^ just got finished. People say it's more confusing (oh really?), but they'll just get used to it.[/quote]

it was only confusing for a day or two as i was used to the b-more exit on the right side and now its on the left, and comming south was weird because you can now go straight or take a exit to stay south.

Dont get me wrong here, i want to pay for the roads so that Im not cussing everyone out and get into work with a dont talk to me for 30 mins or I will kill you attitude. I just dont like this way of going about it. Its going to hurt those who cant afford the tickets. Most people can afford a slight tax increase, alot would be hurt by this. If this happened 8 or so years ago, I would have been up shit's creek because money was tight when your paying for school and all your other bills on a starting sallary. But what pisses me off most is that douchebag has set himself up so that even if he gets voted out of office for this, he will be making a killing as a lawyer representing these folks he helped pass the bill on. Thats the worst kind of douchebaggary.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='GoBengals' post='504499' date='Jun 26 2007, 11:32 AM']roads in kentucky are garbage, driving to bengals camp i fear for my life, them there roads made for da trucks with da big ol tires, i took great pleasure in breaking news to a relative who moved to KY, as they bitched about license fees.. "wait till you register your new plates" they had no idea, and two brand new cars, 1 new truck and a new something or other...

comedy at its best..

good times. kentucky sucks.[/quote]

ever been on 75 in Ohio?? Kentucky roads are amazingly better than the main roads i take in Ohio... i can't say what tehy are like in georgetown KY, but 75 is probably one of the worst roads i've EVER taken....

[quote]From this morning's Express: "We could charge everybody an extra 100 bucks a year or we could charge abusive drivers, the people who abuse the roads. People with good driving records don't have to pay." -Del. Dave Albo, Fairfax County[/quote]

[i]I attended a mandatory safety training program this morning. Let me just say that I am "Suggestive Hypnosis is real" more on tht later.

But at the end of this very entertaining event, the spokesperson stated that the new fines for DUI on the first offense couls amount to as much as $4200 and
for running a red light/stop sign the cost could be as much as $900.

After many hilarious things the people under hyposis did, the last scenario was a driver that hadd been drinking was led to believe that she had killed three of the passengers that were with her. She totally lost it, crying and all. Wow, was that powerful.[/i]

Guest CincyInDC
[quote name='GoBengals' post='504499' date='Jun 26 2007, 11:32 AM']roads in kentucky are garbage, driving to bengals camp i fear for my life, them there roads made for da trucks with da big ol tires, i took great pleasure in breaking news to a relative who moved to KY, as they bitched about license fees.. "wait till you register your new plates" they had no idea, and two brand new cars, 1 new truck and a new something or other...

comedy at its best..

good times. kentucky sucks.[/quote]

Every Kentucky legislator has a good buddy who is in the business of building roads or expanding roads, and KY is full of roads to nowhere (Natcher Parkway, Bluegrass Parkway) not to mention many secondary roads are getting regraded and road cuts are being made for them. When you drive them you ask yourself, why is this road so damn big and so damn empty? When I "commuted" from Oxford, OH to Frankfort, KY I would often take I-71 south of Florence to US 127 because 127 is as close to expressway-quality as you can get without actually being limited access. And yes, I-75 sucks even past Florence, but that's mostly because the Ohio Navy clogs it up every weekend.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='504563' date='Jun 26 2007, 01:58 PM']HA! I know that guy! David Albo is the lawyer who represented me in my DUI case! [color="#FF0000"]What a two-faced piece of shit.[/color][/quote]

Dont be so nice to him.

seems fair, i would say give it an age limit tho, like over 21 or something, kids amke mistakes driving too fast, no sense ruining a 17 yr olds life with a $3500 fine or what not, and i wouldnt think any first time offenders would have an issue, but if your a grgown up asnd have a hard time keeping points on your license down, the problem is you, i speed everyday almost the entire time im driving, i drive safely, in traffic, school area, communities, neighborhoods, etc... i often call the highway patrol and report the fuck bags FLYING past me on the highway switching through all 3 lanes, pass me like im stopped when im going 75-80... you fucks are going to kill someone, and unfortunetly it wont just be yourself.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='504689' date='Jun 26 2007, 08:32 PM']seems fair, i would say give it an age limit tho, like over 21 or something, kids amke mistakes driving too fast, no sense ruining a 17 yr olds life with a $3500 fine or what not, and i wouldnt think any first time offenders would have an issue, but if your a grgown up asnd have a hard time keeping points on your license down, the problem is you, i speed everyday almost the entire time im driving, i drive safely, in traffic, school area, communities, neighborhoods, etc... i often call the highway patrol and report the fuck bags FLYING past me on the highway switching through all 3 lanes, pass me like im stopped when im going 75-80... you fucks are going to kill someone, and unfortunetly it wont just be yourself.[/quote]

1050 for not using a turn signal? You know were not all NFL players being profiled here. :shakesfist:

Guest CincyInDC

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='504699' date='Jun 26 2007, 09:09 PM']1050 for not using a turn signal? You know were not all NFL players being profiled here. :shakesfist:[/quote]

The solution is easy. Move to DC and watch your state income tax go from 5.5% to 9%. Oh, wait. that would suck. :ninja:

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='505774' date='Jun 29 2007, 09:19 AM']The solution is easy. Move to DC and watch your state income tax go from 5.5% to 9%. Oh, wait. that would suck. :ninja:[/quote]

Yes it would, but I'd gladly have it go from 5.5 to 5.6 to pay for it.

Guest CincyInDC
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='505776' date='Jun 29 2007, 09:27 AM']Yes it would, but I'd gladly have it go from 5.5 to 5.6 to pay for it.[/quote]

You and everyone in NoVA. But that shit don't fly down in Richmond.

Archived