Castellini is believed to be enamored with the idea of a package deal of Joe Girardi as manager and Cincy native Paul O'Neill as bench coach

Guest oldschooler

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Bye, bye skipper[/b][/size]

Two more managers hit the road this past week, one (Jerry Narron of the Reds) expectedly and the other (Mike Hargrove of the Mariners) most unexpectedly. With the Reds playing miserably all season, sporting the worst record in baseball after being considered a contender in the weak NL Central, there was no way Narron was going to survive. New Reds owner Bob Castellini had high expectations and gave GM Wayne Krivsky the go-ahead to increase payroll by nearly $20 million. Now Krivsky's challenge to save his own job will be making the right deal for free-swinging slugger Adam Dunn and finding the right manager.

In regard to the latter, there is a lot of pressure on Krivsky to hire a high-profile manager. The last three Reds managers to reach the postseason - Jack McKeon, Davey Johnson and Lou Piniella - fit that description and Castellini is believed to be enamored with the idea of a package deal of Joe Girardi as manager and Cincy native Paul O'Neill as bench coach. Girardi, who wisely turned down the Baltimore Orioles' job, also figures to be a top candidate in Kansas City (where Buddy Bell will be out after the season) if he doesn't land in Cincinnati before then.[/quote]

[url="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2007/07/08/2007-07-08_no_break_for_the_weary.html"]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball..._the_weary.html[/url]

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Storm' post='508771' date='Jul 8 2007, 09:36 PM']If all Castellini does is change the manager its not going to matter[/quote]
not true.

[quote name='Storm' post='508771' date='Jul 8 2007, 09:36 PM']If all Castellini does is change the manager its not going to matter[/quote]

Paul O'Neill oozes fundamentals. You know, once he even [i]kicked[/i] a ball in to the relay man.

This sounds like a nice idea, although Mackanin has done well so far. I just hope we don't alienate a valuable member of the staff at lower levels by firing him, a la Miley, but that we also don't hand him the keys after he finding initial success, a la Bruce Coslet.

Guest BengalsOwn
What has Girardi done to deserve another coaching position?

I won't like it if the Reds hire him as the next coach...

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='508840' date='Jul 9 2007, 01:30 AM']What has Girardi done to deserve another coaching position?

I won't like it if the Reds hire him as the next coach...[/quote]
made the Marlins a 78 win team? kept them in contention almost the entire season? sparked a fire in many of their players asses and made uggla a beast (and uggla credits girardi for it)?

the fact that he doesnt take shit from anyone and keeps HIS clubhouse HIS way? he was a winner as a player and was a key part to his team?

EVERYTHING he has ever done makes him the obvious choice. the man is a winner, the man has heart, and the man is EXACTLY what this ballclub needs.

Guest whodey 85
I think Girardi would help just because of his experience or w/e u wanna call it cuz he made tha Marlins respectable, but even Connie Mack couldnt do shyt with this pitching. So instead of worryin about tha manager, lets worry about gettin some actual good pitchin Castellini, bastard.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='508841' date='Jul 9 2007, 01:34 AM'][b]made the Marlins a 78 win team[/b]? kept them in contention almost the entire season? sparked a fire in many of their players asses and made uggla a beast (and uggla credits girardi for it)?
the fact that he doesnt take shit from anyone and keeps HIS clubhouse HIS way? he was a winner as a player and was a key part to his team?
EVERYTHING he has ever done makes him the obvious choice. the man is a winner, the man has heart, and the man is EXACTLY what this ballclub needs.[/quote]

And right now, [b]without[/b] Girardi they are on pace to win 76 games.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='508841' date='Jul 9 2007, 01:34 AM']made the Marlins a 78 win team? kept them in contention almost the entire season? sparked a fire in many of their players asses and made uggla a beast (and uggla credits girardi for it)?
EVERYTHING he has ever done makes him the obvious choice. the man is a winner, the man has heart, and the man is EXACTLY what this ballclub needs.[/quote]
78 wins = him being a loser

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Jason' post='508858' date='Jul 9 2007, 06:55 AM']And right now, [b]without[/b] Girardi they are on pace to win 76 games.[/quote]
ok? and they are a more talented team this year than last year.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='508889' date='Jul 9 2007, 11:40 AM']ok? and they are a more talented team this year than last year.[/quote]

Who is on the team this year that wasn't last year?

[quote name='Jason' post='508906' date='Jul 9 2007, 12:38 PM']Who is on the team this year that wasn't last year?[/quote]

They are a very young team, and every year makes a big difference as they improve.

I understand your skepticism, however. Girardi didn't draft their solid core of young players, who might've been just as good without him. Still, to stay afloat with a $15 mil. team that most expected to be a joke is impressive, and makes him deserving of a second job. I think everyone will agree that he lost his 1st post because Jeffrey Loria is a meddling douche.

Archived