"Me and My Mac" by John C. Dvorak

[quote][b]Me and My Mac

That's right. I'm using a Mac, and, surprise, I like it. Deal.

By John C. Dvorak[/b]

Not too long ago, while beginning work on some projects for a company, I was asked whether I wanted a PC or a Mac—laptop or desktop—to use while in the office. Since the place was essentially a Macintosh shop, I requested an iMac (with a second screen so I didn't look like a complete schlub).

Oh horrors. Dvorak is using a Mac.

Hey, I figured since I'm known for ragging on the Mac all the time, I may as well speak from some experience, right? It's been a couple of months now, so I thought I'd report what I think about the platform from a user's perspective—specifically, from a PC user's perspective.

So here's what I think.

First of all, the machine is not half bad. It's very quiet, and it performs as well as the PC on general office applications. Generally speaking, the interface is slicker than the PC's, and you get the sense that the computer isn't about to start acting weird because of some virus, spyware, or endless Firefox loading procedure going on in the background and killing all the cycles of the computer. (Despite my reinstalling Firefox half a dozen times on my PC and running deep spyware and virus checkers, Firefox will, all too often, chew up all my cycles and kill my PC's performance. I then have to kill it and start over. Anyway, this doesn't seem to happen with the Mac.)

Other than that, I cannot see much of a difference between the Mac and PC. It's a computer. It runs the same old applications (more or less), and it gets the job done, albeit somewhat more elegantly. The processes for some things, such as burning CDs, seem convoluted to me. I'm not a fan of some of the navigational concepts. And I have one USB key that the Mac refuses to recognize for some unknown reason. But these are not deal-breakers.

Now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps I should rethink my use of the word "elegant" when I describe the machine and the way it functions. See, most people use this word because they love the often-gimmicky stuff, such as the bouncing icons and sweep-away window minimizing. It's all very interesting but superfluous.

Over the years, one of the things that most of us old-timers (gak) will tell you is that you often get a "feeling" for a machine that's more meaningful than what benchmark tests or performance numbers tell you. Some machines feel faster than others, for example. This is probably the best way to approach any analysis or comparison of the Mac versus the PC. In my opinion, I sense that the OS is more solid than Microsoft Windows, but I cannot say why exactly. I suspect that the modern underpinnings of the Unix kernel have something to do with it.

I have no plans to move to the Mac platform for my personal use. That said, I have noticed that I've been recommending the machine to friends and neighbors when they want to know what kind of system they should buy.

I can see why the Mac is gaining market share, because the rationale for using one is simple. Do you want to deal with the agony of antivirus, firewall, antispyware, and other touchy software subsystems, many of which do not work well? Or do you want to boot Microsoft Word and write a document and be done with it?

As someone who does recommend gear to people, I have to think to myself, "Should I recommend something that will come back to haunt me, or recommend a Mac with its higher price but lower hassle factor?" The answer is simple. I hate the idea of having to do customer service for people who cannot keep their systems clean, and that's most people.

I hate to say it, but the PC community talks a big game when it comes to security and protection. The reality is that they'll never really get a handle on the problem as long as the PC is the never-ending target of hackers. I'm certain the Mac will eventually be targeted, but when? It doesn't seem like it will be anytime soon.

The real potential killers of the PC platform are all the online apps that make it so we may not need much more than a smart terminal to get most of our work done. Recently, I noticed that one columnist (he's an old-timer, too) told his readers that he actually uses online apps, such as Google Docs, to write his column. Personally, I cannot see using these apps except in an emergency. I do use an online e-mail reader (Squirrel webmail) more than I use Thunderbird, and I'm not exactly sure why. Perhaps it's so I feel reassured that the mail is safe and not a sitting duck on my PC.

Anyway, the way I see it is that the differences between the Mac and the PC that really matter are minor. The big exception is the usability factor. And, in the end, that's probably what the majority of users care about.

Yes, it's a sad day for the Mac bashers.[/quote]

[url="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2162397,00.asp"]http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2162397,00.asp[/url]

[quote name='mongo' post='517001' date='Jul 26 2007, 06:07 PM'][url="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2162397,00.asp"]http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2162397,00.asp[/url][/quote]

alright article. the security arguement bores me, as anyone who isnt a kackling mental handicap is capable of keeping a pc safe and spyware free with $0-60 in software.

i like macs, used many many in design school. they are just plain overpriced. a sole dual core 2.6 ghz xoen processor, a single gig of ram and a single 250 GB hard drive STARTS at $2500 (minus of course the $100 mail in rebate of course)

i could likely build a 2 x dual core xoen machine with 3 gigs of ram and a TB of drive space for the same cost.

macs look cooler. but the same specs on a pc would be about $1300-1500. so a $1,000 for looks is silly, i can probably find a pc customized case i like just as good as a silver box somewhere...

if i won the lottory i would probably use almost all macs in my daily efforts. but thats about it...

the macbook pro is a bit closer to cost of a windows notebook.

i built my "dream " mac desktop... $12,700 you know, with 2 x 3 ghz quad core xeon processors and 8 GB ram and 3 TB storage... :mellow: and two 30" cinema displays

John better late than never!

Obselesance is another point...By and large, the life span of a Mac is longer. They hold their value, and resell well.

Piecing together a system by bargin hunting for the best price on components through the internet is not the same as going to the Mac store and Getting a shinny new G5 with a warranty, and apple care, and a genius bar, and training classes, and usually great customer service, and the BEST OPERATING SYSTEM ON THE PLANET, from one of the best US companies ever. Build similar systems through Dell and Hp's site and they'll be about the same price.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='517015' date='Jul 26 2007, 06:25 PM']alright article. the security arguement bores me, as anyone who isnt a kackling mental handicap is capable of keeping a pc safe and spyware free with $0-60 in software.[/quote]

Capable of doing something, and doing something are two very different things. People are all capable of taking showers and brushing their teeth, but I run into hordes stinky people with bad teeth all the time. Is the average computer user capable of running the software? Of course they are. Do they actual keep all of the software up to date, and use it on any sort of a regular basis? No. Most people don't. They didn't grow up with the technology, and just aren't hardcore users. They don't think of doing all the little things to keep it running like a dream any more than I think to do all the little things to keep my treadmill running like brand new. I abuse the hell out of thing, supremely confident it will just magically keep working forever.

The security argument isn't aimed at you. It's aimed at the people who buy computers to buy things on ebay, and send email. For those people, the security argument is very important.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='517015' date='Jul 26 2007, 06:25 PM']a sole dual core 2.6 ghz xoen processor, a single gig of ram and a single 250 GB hard drive STARTS at $2500 (minus of course the $100 mail in rebate of course)[/quote]

Untrue. That Mac Pro has two 2.66 ghz 'woodcrest' Xeon CPUs, and you'd have a hard time building that base rig much cheaper. A quick newegg shows:

CPU = $720 each ($1440)
mobo = ... I couldn't even find one that supported two socket 771 cpus and had 4 PCIe16 slots. Easily $500
vid card = $75
ram = $70
DVD Burner = $30

Right there is $2100+, and you haven't even bought a hard drive, a power supply unit, a case, fans, or an OS.

Building your 'dream' machine should, of course, never be done through Apple. Just like any of the other desktop makers, they'll eat you alive in upgrades. :)

What if people just don't like the Mac OS. I used them during a two year stint getting a degree in Graphic Design, so it's not like I'm talking out my ass, but, whatever. Mac is the best Operating system ... best US company? Ha. Best brainwashing thieves, maybe.

[quote name='steggyD' post='517280' date='Jul 27 2007, 12:52 AM']What if people just don't like the Mac OS. I used them during a two year stint getting a degree in Graphic Design, so it's not like I'm talking out my ass, but, whatever. Mac is the best Operating system ... best US company? Ha. Best brainwashing thieves, maybe.[/quote]

Jobs is the modern day P.T. Barnum.

Who the hell else could get nearly a million people to buy a $600 phone for fucks sake?

And Dvorak is still a douchebag....

[quote name='mongo' post='517246' date='Jul 27 2007, 12:16 AM']Capable of doing something, and doing something are two very different things. People are all capable of taking showers and brushing their teeth, but I run into hordes stinky people with bad teeth all the time. Is the average computer user capable of running the software? Of course they are. Do they actual keep all of the software up to date, and use it on any sort of a regular basis? No. Most people don't. They didn't grow up with the technology, and just aren't hardcore users. They don't think of doing all the little things to keep it running like a dream any more than I think to do all the little things to keep my treadmill running like brand new. I abuse the hell out of thing, supremely confident it will just magically keep working forever.

The security argument isn't aimed at you. It's aimed at the people who buy computers to buy things on ebay, and send email. For those people, the security argument is very important.
Untrue. That Mac Pro has two 2.66 ghz 'woodcrest' Xeon CPUs, and you'd have a hard time building that base rig much cheaper. A quick newegg shows:

CPU = $720 each ($1440)
mobo = ... I couldn't even find one that supported two socket 771 cpus and had 4 PCIe16 slots. Easily $500
vid card = $75
ram = $70
DVD Burner = $30

Right there is $2100+, and you haven't even bought a hard drive, a power supply unit, a case, fans, or an OS.
Building your 'dream' machine should, of course, never be done through Apple. Just like any of the other desktop makers, they'll eat you alive in upgrades. :)[/quote]

touche.

tho people who buy a computer to buy shit on ebay and send email arent going to spend triple on a mac. they are gonna buy the dell $299 TV special... buy your point stands.

[quote name='mongo' post='517246' date='Jul 26 2007, 11:16 PM']Capable of doing something, and doing something are two very different things. People are all capable of taking showers and brushing their teeth, but I run into hordes stinky people with bad teeth all the time. Is the average computer user capable of running the software? Of course they are. Do they actual keep all of the software up to date, and use it on any sort of a regular basis? No. Most people don't. They didn't grow up with the technology, and just aren't hardcore users. They don't think of doing all the little things to keep it running like a dream any more than I think to do all the little things to keep my treadmill running like brand new. I abuse the hell out of thing, supremely confident it will just magically keep working forever.

CPU = $720 each ($1440)
vid card = $75
ram = $70
DVD Burner = $30

Building your 'dream' machine should, of course, never be done through Apple. Just like any of the other desktop makers, they'll eat you alive in upgrades. :)[/quote]

Outstanding post...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='517289' date='Jul 27 2007, 02:10 AM']touche.
tho people who buy a computer to buy shit on ebay and send email arent going to spend triple on a mac. they are gonna buy the dell $299 TV special... buy your point stands.[/quote]

Most definitely. However, people like...well, the rest of my family are perfect examples of possible switchers. Most of them are the people who want to under-utilize the power of a computer, don't care how it works, don't want to be bothered with the maintenance, but just want it to work. After 15+ years of them calling me all the time for help, I think they are ready to spend a little extra money to stop feeling stupid. :) ... I can only hope :D

The funny thing is, my father is the one who would probably enjoy the a Mac the most, and he's the one who's the most stubborn. He spends most of his days digitizing his slide collection, organizing all his pictures, re-touching one's that don't look so good, making slideshow CDs, video editing, etc...

I'm not trying to make a universe of switchers. Hell, you'll have to kill me to get me to stop building a new gaming PC for myself every few years. I just want my mother and father to switch so they can enjoy their computing time a little more.... and so they can stop calling me when they've really screwed things up. :D

[quote name='mongo' post='517322' date='Jul 27 2007, 09:13 AM']Most definitely. However, people like...well, the rest of my family are perfect examples of possible switchers. Most of them are the people who want to under-utilize the power of a computer, don't care how it works, don't want to be bothered with the maintenance, but just want it to work. After 15+ years of them calling me all the time for help, I think they are ready to spend a little extra money to stop feeling stupid. :) ... I can only hope :D
The funny thing is, my father is the one who would probably enjoy the a Mac the most, and he's the one who's the most stubborn. He spends most of his days digitizing his slide collection, organizing all his pictures, re-touching one's that don't look so good, making slideshow CDs, video editing, etc...

I'm not trying to make a universe of switchers. Hell, you'll have to kill me to get me to stop building a new gaming PC for myself every few years. I just want my mother and father to switch so they can enjoy their computing time a little more.... and so they can stop calling me when they've really screwed things up. :D[/quote]

im in a similar boat, but i keep my parents in a pc so i can trouble shoot from the top of be head anywhere , im sure they would AT LEAST get confused by even the mac and call me and i would need to see a mac screen to help...

[quote name='steggyD' post='517280' date='Jul 27 2007, 12:52 AM']What if people just don't like the Mac OS. I used them during a two year stint getting a degree in Graphic Design, so it's not like I'm talking out my ass, but, whatever. Mac is the best Operating system ... best US company? Ha. Best brainwashing thieves, maybe.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='mongo' post='517322' date='Jul 27 2007, 08:13 AM']Most definitely. However, people like...well, the rest of my family are perfect examples of possible switchers. Most of them are the people who want to under-utilize the power of a computer, don't care how it works, don't want to be bothered with the maintenance, but just want it to work. After 15+ years of them calling me all the time for help, I think they are ready to spend a little extra money to stop feeling stupid. :) ... I can only hope :D

I'm not trying to make a universe of switchers. Hell, you'll have to kill me to get me to stop building a new gaming PC for myself every few years. I just want my mother and father to switch so they can enjoy their computing time a little more.... and so they can stop calling me when they've really screwed things up. :D[/quote]

Had the same situation with my (then) 69 year old father who was using an XP box. I would get a call at least once a week to help him with some problem, and he got tired of having to call, so I told him to buy a Mac. He bought an iMac, I walked him through it using VNC in an afternoon, and I haven't heard from him in 3 years except to upgrade him to Tiger.

And this is a guy who still uses a slide rule...

Archived