Only in Cincinnati - Chatter Rule

Buncha politically correct iditos.

[url="http://media.www.thecurrentonline.com/media/storage/paper304/news/2007/04/09/Sports/chatter.Ban.Is.A.Disgrace.To.Baseball.let.The.Kids.Play.Blue-2830278.shtml?refsource=collegeheadlines"]http://media.www.thecurrentonline.com/medi...ollegeheadlines[/url]

[quote]I know little league baseball has to have rules, but one league has gone just too far. The Cincinnati Little League has banned "chatter" in ball games. This is a disgrace to the game of little league baseball. My little league experience would not have been the same if I did not hear the taunts from other players. Winners win and losers lose, that is what little league baseball is about.

Getting taunted in little league games helps to build character. Competitive sports will have winners and losers. Placing a ban on chatter during little league games will only put children at a disadvantage for the rest of their baseball career. How will a player know that they suck if other players are not allowed to tell them?

The league president said in an interview, "If you're saying, 'Swing, batter,' and this poor little kid is swinging at everything, he feels bad and maybe he turns to the catcher and gets mad. Honest to gosh, I didn't have any trouble doing this."

Honest to gosh, I think this is crap. It is not the catcher's fault if a batter swings and misses. I remember hearing another phrase as a kid, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." What ever happened to that?

Kids are cruel. They are now, they were when I was a kid, they were 50 years ago and they will be before and after baseball games in Cincinnati. If kids want to taunt and tease each other they will. I wish it was not like that, but it is a pattern that I have seen repeated over and over.

Baseball is the first sport that I ever played. I will be honest, my first year was a little rocky, but like I said it was my first year. I think I was in the top 10 in my league for strikeouts and I am pretty sure I led my team. The other teams would taunt and tease me when I went up to bat, but I did not care because I was playing for the love of the game, not them. And that is the best reason a player should play.

I do not think that this new rule set in Cincinnati will do much good. I would not be surprised if more fights broke out during the game. Tempers will flair during the game but little league is supposed to be there to help build self-control. What a better way of doing it than by putting a ban on speech.

Now the kids in Cincinnati do not only have to play the game, but they have to be careful not to say the wrong thing. No one wants to get thrown out of a game for wanting a pitcher, not a belly itcher.[/quote]

[quote name='Agent Orange' post='528955' date='Aug 17 2007, 12:03 AM']What the hell. I hope they don't start making silly rules in the NFL too <_<[/quote]

I think it has been banned in kentucky for years. i remember playing catcher and saying swing batter batter in a LL game and the ump called time and told my coach that i couldnt do that.

[quote name='LeakyBengal v2.0' post='528957' date='Aug 17 2007, 12:07 AM']I think it has been banned in kentucky for years. i remember playing catcher and saying swing batter batter in a LL game and the ump called time and told my coach that i couldnt do that.[/quote]

Yeah, I never heard the catcher saying anything; that's different than the infielders and outfielders jabbering at you while you're in the box. And for that matter, if you ever would've yelled something from right behind me while I was batting, I would've gone Jose Offerman on you.

[quote name='Agent Orange' post='528955' date='Aug 17 2007, 12:03 AM']What the hell. I hope they don't start making silly rules in the NFL too <_<[/quote]

Because restricting endzone celebrations and getting penalized for excessiveness and taunting and unsportsmanlike conduct isnt the same thing?
Just because these rule makers are nervous, thin-skinned fucks have problems with human contact or verbal and visual abuse, doesnt mean they need to take the fun out of sports for the majority of people who can understand competetive razzing.

Seriously, before you know it you arent going to be able to tag a player out in little league because if you do it too hard you might hurt someone. Have to stand within a 2 foot radius and yell 'TAG!'

espn did a piece on this lastnight. I'm torn on how I feel about it. While the ban seems a tad silly, I'll admit it was annoying as hell listening to those Nashville kids that they showed. I could see one defender at a time saying stuff, but 9 different kids yelling at the same time was fucking annoying.

Archived