**My Sports Betting Expierence**

bgwilly31

I wanted to make this thread to share my recent cherry popping expierence into the sprts betting world.
And also here feedback and others expierences with this.

Before my first bet i always looked at gambling as a BAD thing. A stupid thing. U never win. (in the end)

I had this friend that ive known for years get very addicted to gambling. 30k a year type income. And he once lost 3k in 3 days on Bodog Poker. He was at least smart enough to not do poker anymore.

So at the beginning of this NFL season i started watching games with him. He would always have money on the games that were televised. If not he would at least bet the second half. He would win most and lose some. Right now hes doing very well. Deposited $100 at the beginning of the season and currently has about $1400 with no other deposits. Anyway i would find myself enjoying games i usually wouldnt care to much about a whole lot more.

(To give some financial backgrnd of myself so that you can better judge the story or situation. I live pretty well off. $50k-$80k type income. Newly married no kids. (yet))

So he finally talked me into my first bet and starting up an account of my own.

I registered up for bodog and threw $100 on the Bengals VS BIlls game. I lost.

I figured i would be done. But with the account now activated and the next game being baltimore and good betting odds if you pick the bengals straight up. +250 i think. I threw $200 on the bengals to won straight up against baltimore. "bengal confidence i guess" Well as most of you know i won! I won around $450!

So that put me up $350 total for my bets.

I immediately cashed out As the wife had found out by now and was giving me hell. Which i deserved.

But i didnt cash it all out. I left $50 in the account to have some fun with it.

In which i did. I proceeded for the next few weeks. Making chump bets ($20-30) per game. Maybe betting 3 at most per sunday. Most MNF games as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed it when i was winning. I managed to turn the $50 into $100.
But then hit a cold streak. Dipping my hand (stupidly in a couple NBA games) And then a couple stupid college games. Lost it all.

I vowed to myself before i started betteing with that $50. Once its gone ITS gone. Im not going to become one of those "Addicted people."

But the 50 was gone and i still found myself checking the spreads and odds on friday for that weekends games.

I ended up depositing a few more $20's and winning some and losing most.

I put my last 20 in 2 wks back. I won four bets in a row starting with the titans bengals game! Turned that into a $100 real quick.
Then this past weekend hit another cold streak and lost 3 straight bets again.

My account is again at ZERO.

Im still up in the long run $140.00

My friend says your still up, no reason to stop when your still up. "spoken like a true gambler"

Anways I had been getting the feeling awhile back. Boy this is hard to stop.

[b]-----****SO MY WARNING TO ALL WHO HAS THOUGHT OF STARTING TO BET ON SPORTS****------[/b]
Its hella fun. However sports betting is very addicting. One bet and your done is not going to happen in most cases.
Be prepared for it, and if your not financially comfortable in your life. I dont recommend anyone getting into this.
Even if its just $5 bets. There will always be THAT game that you might think is a lock that you end up putting more
money on.
[b]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]

To sum up my expierence. Im now at the point where My account is ZERO. The bengals season is over, Bodog has had problems with certain CC companies and depositing. So now its even a hassle to Deposit more.

Im pretty sure im going to stop. Its fun but i can just see myself getting blinded by it and hearing no common sense of people around me telling me im stupid and i should stop. Kinda like my gambling friend "your up why should u stop"

But it was fun....

Maybe buying into FFL league next year will satisfy that URGE!

So talk me back in.

Congradulate me for getting out.

Call me an idiot.

Tell me your expierence!

[u][i]Lets hear it. Im all ears. [/i][/u]

in 06 i put $50 on opening game, won, bet on next two games, won won, made $500+ spent it on my trip to tampa..

this year.. bet on begnals browns game,. lost, stopped.. too poor to "gamble" with gambling..

i still do it casually off and onn, but havent in a few months. not wanting to bet on bengals does hurt the fun factor a bit tho..

thanks for sharing.. while bodog does a TON to support this site, i would feel horrible if someone acquired a real problem via this site and our banners.

bodog has broken even with paying me and winning betters money, 4 of 14 people are still in the winning range,

obviously odds are against you when you gamble. which is why its such a profitable business..

its funny the guy when i setup my account was going over scenarios of payouts and things for my ads, and i had options of getting a percentage of total money lost by gamblers, or a straight payout per signup, i took the straight payout, i would hate to be "wishing" people were losing their asses. and as it stands im about 1200+ in the right decision.

what you TRIED to do is the right thing... set aside X dollars you know you can flush down the toilet... do NOT put it all on one game, cause one out and your done.. bet with that money, $75-100 makes it easier to not blow on one game.. $10-15 bets here or there.. and when its done, do something else till next year.. and give it another go.

I apologize go bengals. I didnt know you were affiliated with BOdog. My intent was not to push money away from the site.

And as a shameless plug.

BODOG has my praise as one of the better gambling sites to deal with. The customer service was good for over seas. And they cut me a free check within a couple weeks.
The signup was a little tedious, but you only havent to do it once.

I agree though. That might be a good idea on how to deal with it. Deposit a certain amount at the beginning of the season. Maybe a $200. If you lose it its GONE! that means stop.

I might be able to talk the wife into letting me roll with that.

Now the question would be do you cash out at the end if you still have winnings. Or do you leave it for the Baseball season. :D

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='604450' date='Dec 4 2007, 11:27 AM']I apologize go bengals. I didnt know you were affiliated with BOdog. My intent was not to push money away from the site.

And as a shameless plug.

BODOG has my praise as one of the better gambling sites to deal with. The customer service was good for over seas. And they cut me a free check within a couple weeks.
The signup was a little tedious, but you only havent to do it once.

I agree though. That might be a good idea on how to deal with it. Deposit a certain amount at the beginning of the season. Maybe a $200. If you lose it its GONE! that means stop.

I might be able to talk the wife into letting me roll with that.

Now the question would be do you cash out at the end if you still have winnings. Or do you leave it for the Baseball season. :D[/quote]

no worries at all, no harm done. gambling sells itself..

no way i could bet on baseball tho. antying can hapen in baseball, too many games, the ncaa tourny on the other hand... :lol:

I'm a long time sports better online. Probably for about 5 years now.

I'd have liked to have supported Go and used BoDog, but unfortunately they are not accepting deposits from Canada as yet. When they do, I will.

My two preferred web sites are bet365.com and betfair.co.uk Betfair is interesting because you can lay odds on, (basically become the house)

I bet on everything...basketball, football, english soccer, cricket, boxing. Between 2002 and 2007 I've deposited $1,000 in Betfair, and withdrawn, $4,500. On Bet365, this has been my most successful year in part due to this long shot paying off:

[quote]Selections Time of bet: 11/07/2007 07:45:46
Event Date Event Selections Odds E/W Terms Result
1 11/07/2007 Barcelona v Rangers
(Full Time Result) Barcelona 1.20 None Won
2 11/07/2007 Fenerbahce v PSV
(Full Time Result) Fenerbahce 2.00 None Won
3 11/07/2007 Inter Milan v CSKA Moscow
(Full Time Result) Inter Milan 1.30 None Won
4 11/07/2007 Lyon v VfB Stuttgart
(Full Time Result) Lyon 1.44 None Won
5 11/07/2007 Man Utd v Dynamo Kiev
(Full Time Result) Man Utd 1.16 None Won
6 11/07/2007 Slavia Prague v Arsenal
(Full Time Result) Draw 3.75 None Won
7 11/07/2007 Sporting v Roma
(Full Time Result) Draw 3.20 None Won
8 11/07/2007 Steaua Bucharest v Sevilla
(Full Time Result) Sevilla 3.50 None Lost
Parlays
Wager Type No of Bets Unit Risk Risk To Win Returns
8 Play Parlays 1 1 $50.00 $10,991.94 0.00 $10,941.94
Total Risk: $50.00 Total Returns: $10,941.94[/quote]

I made $10,941 on a $50 bet. I took $8,000 out of my account, leaving $2,500 behind. I also had a 8 game accumulator in basketball pay off a few years ago for $3.5k.

My most successful sports are NBA, English soccer, and cricket. Cricket because the betting co's don't research it enough and give juicy odds on it in terms of what individual players can achieve. For NFL / NBA I never bet on spreads, just on the money line.

My betting strategies are mostly on parlays (accumulators) where the the odds of various games multiplied by each other produce an astronomical payout if you hit it, on a low bet.

So using the NFL as an example, I usually bet on all the 1 o'clock games in various combos. Putting $25 on each combo but getting a payout of 30 times that if it hits. I do the same for the 4 o'clock games.

then I bet a large amount (200-300) on maybe two games that I am very confident in, or if the odds are not great. the thinking being that the money from the safe bets, offsets the losses from the combo bets. of course in any situation there can be upsets, and you're out the whole lot. but I've made a lot of money off it, so i have a cushion of safety. conservatively, I think I've made about $25-30k in 5 years, on deposits of $1,750. So it's been a great rate of return.

Life will get complicated next year, as the Cdn govt. will officially outlaw banks accepting transfers from online gambling co's. So whereby now I can just call bet365 and withdraw money directly into my account, most likely going forward, I will have to open a bank account in a tax haven like Jersey (where Bet365 are based) and transfer the money there, and then into the Canadian account.

I bet on Wednesday (NBA & European soccer) / Friday (NBA) / Saturday (English soccer) / Sunday (NFL) and any time there are series in cricket going on. It's a good source of some extra spending cash.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='604076' date='Dec 3 2007, 04:54 PM']I wanted to make this thread to share my recent cherry popping expierence into the sprts betting world.
And also here feedback and others expierences with this.

Before my first bet i always looked at gambling as a BAD thing. A stupid thing. U never win. (in the end)

I had this friend that ive known for years get very addicted to gambling. 30k a year type income. And he once lost 3k in 3 days on Bodog Poker. He was at least smart enough to not do poker anymore.

So at the beginning of this NFL season i started watching games with him. He would always have money on the games that were televised. If not he would at least bet the second half. He would win most and lose some. Right now hes doing very well. Deposited $100 at the beginning of the season and currently has about $1400 with no other deposits. Anyway i would find myself enjoying games i usually wouldnt care to much about a whole lot more.

(To give some financial backgrnd of myself so that you can better judge the story or situation. I live pretty well off. $50k-$80k type income. Newly married no kids. (yet))

So he finally talked me into my first bet and starting up an account of my own.

I registered up for bodog and threw $100 on the Bengals VS BIlls game. I lost.

I figured i would be done. But with the account now activated and the next game being baltimore and good betting odds if you pick the bengals straight up. +250 i think. I threw $200 on the bengals to won straight up against baltimore. "bengal confidence i guess" Well as most of you know i won! I won around $450!

So that put me up $350 total for my bets.

I immediately cashed out As the wife had found out by now and was giving me hell. Which i deserved.

But i didnt cash it all out. I left $50 in the account to have some fun with it.

In which i did. I proceeded for the next few weeks. Making chump bets ($20-30) per game. Maybe betting 3 at most per sunday. Most MNF games as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed it when i was winning. I managed to turn the $50 into $100.
But then hit a cold streak. Dipping my hand (stupidly in a couple NBA games) And then a couple stupid college games. Lost it all.

I vowed to myself before i started betteing with that $50. Once its gone ITS gone. Im not going to become one of those "Addicted people."

But the 50 was gone and i still found myself checking the spreads and odds on friday for that weekends games.

I ended up depositing a few more $20's and winning some and losing most.

I put my last 20 in 2 wks back. I won four bets in a row starting with the titans bengals game! Turned that into a $100 real quick.
Then this past weekend hit another cold streak and lost 3 straight bets again.

My account is again at ZERO.

Im still up in the long run $140.00

My friend says your still up, no reason to stop when your still up. "spoken like a true gambler"

Anways I had been getting the feeling awhile back. Boy this is hard to stop.

[b]-----****SO MY WARNING TO ALL WHO HAS THOUGHT OF STARTING TO BET ON SPORTS****------[/b]
Its hella fun. However sports betting is very addicting. One bet and your done is not going to happen in most cases.
Be prepared for it, and if your not financially comfortable in your life. I dont recommend anyone getting into this.
Even if its just $5 bets. There will always be THAT game that you might think is a lock that you end up putting more
money on.
[b]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]

To sum up my expierence. Im now at the point where My account is ZERO. The bengals season is over, Bodog has had problems with certain CC companies and depositing. So now its even a hassle to Deposit more.

Im pretty sure im going to stop. Its fun but i can just see myself getting blinded by it and hearing no common sense of people around me telling me im stupid and i should stop. Kinda like my gambling friend "your up why should u stop"

But it was fun....

Maybe buying into FFL league next year will satisfy that URGE!

So talk me back in.

Congradulate me for getting out.

Call me an idiot.

Tell me your expierence!

[u][i]Lets hear it. Im all ears. [/i][/u][/quote]

man, i really enjoyed reading your piece! now im going to gamble my childerens College funds :P

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='605605' date='Dec 7 2007, 12:15 PM']I'm a long time sports better online. Probably for about 5 years now.

I'd have liked to have supported Go and used BoDog, but unfortunately they are not accepting deposits from Canada as yet. When they do, I will.

My two preferred web sites are bet365.com and betfair.co.uk Betfair is interesting because you can lay odds on, (basically become the house)

I bet on everything...basketball, football, english soccer, cricket, boxing. Between 2002 and 2007 I've deposited $1,000 in Betfair, and withdrawn, $4,500. On Bet365, this has been my most successful year in part due to this long shot paying off:

I made $10,941 on a $50 bet. I took $8,000 out of my account, leaving $2,500 behind. I also had a 8 game accumulator in basketball pay off a few years ago for $3.5k.

My most successful sports are NBA, English soccer, and cricket. Cricket because the betting co's don't research it enough and give juicy odds on it in terms of what individual players can achieve. For NFL / NBA I never bet on spreads, just on the money line.

My betting strategies are mostly on parlays (accumulators) where the the odds of various games multiplied by each other produce an astronomical payout if you hit it, on a low bet.

So using the NFL as an example, I usually bet on all the 1 o'clock games in various combos. Putting $25 on each combo but getting a payout of 30 times that if it hits. I do the same for the 4 o'clock games.

then I bet a large amount (200-300) on maybe two games that I am very confident in, or if the odds are not great. the thinking being that the money from the safe bets, offsets the losses from the combo bets. of course in any situation there can be upsets, and you're out the whole lot. but I've made a lot of money off it, so i have a cushion of safety. conservatively, I think I've made about $25-30k in 5 years, on deposits of $1,750. So it's been a great rate of return.

Life will get complicated next year, as the Cdn govt. will officially outlaw banks accepting transfers from online gambling co's. So whereby now I can just call bet365 and withdraw money directly into my account, most likely going forward, I will have to open a bank account in a tax haven like Jersey (where Bet365 are based) and transfer the money there, and then into the Canadian account.

I bet on Wednesday (NBA & European soccer) / Friday (NBA) / Saturday (English soccer) / Sunday (NFL) and any time there are series in cricket going on. It's a good source of some extra spending cash.[/quote]

WOW. i wish i could drop 50 down and just get 500 back. i need to get some money so i can get a nice HDTV.

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='605605' date='Dec 7 2007, 12:15 PM']I'm a long time sports better online. Probably for about 5 years now.

I bet on Wednesday (NBA & European soccer) / Friday (NBA) / Saturday (English soccer) / Sunday (NFL) and any time there are series in cricket going on. It's a good source of some extra spending cash.[/quote]

Well obviously most are not like you.

I was watching VH1 last week.

Lifestyles of the rich.
EP. MEGA RICH.

And guess who showed up on the show.

The owner of BOd0G.

He was towards the end of the show if you catch it on. But they hada big part where he was taking two SUPERMODELS with him to Barly or some exotic spot. Renting out an entire Resort for just the two of them. He was being carried around like KING tut. "ya know how the king sits in a chair then 6 guys pick the chair up and carry it. "

Then of course he had two girls at his disposal.

Funny thing about him is he is from Canada. He came from nothing. His dad was a poor farmer.

He started Bodog with $10,000. :o
Im not sure how long bodog has been in existence. But ic ant imagine it being much over 10 yrs.

He was on the cover of FORTUNE magazine when he couple years back when he made his first BILLION!!!!!!

Today he worth over

[color="#FF0000"][b]2 BILLION [/b][/color]dollars.

Thats an unbelievabl amount of money in that short of time.

• 11 months later...

Archived