Need Computer Recommendation (Desktop)

Hi guys,

I need a new computer for work. I have all of the peripherals so I just need the box. An recommendations on a computer/barebone kit? I need something that can handle lots of applications open at once and applications that are hardcore processor intensive. Not really much graphics type stuff needed here. Mainly for development/testing stuff.

Any recommendations on good setups you have seen lately? Probably don't want to spend more than $1,000. Thanks!

For a CPU, go with the latest Intel CPU's, either the Yorkfields or Wolfdales, depending on how many cores you need.

Yorkfield - Quads
Wolfdales - Duos

CPU's that use the later 45nm technology. I have the e3110, the Xeon version of the e8400. Fast as hell. Other than that, just use good brand stuff, since you're not worried about graphics, you can spend very little without needing the badass video card. If you give me a good idea of what kind of programs, I can probably help find exactly what you need.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='666365' date='May 17 2008, 11:01 PM']Are the applications you plan on using 64-bit, or will they be within the next year or so?[/quote]

Nope.

Thanks for that info Steggy.

[quote name='steggyD' post='666362' date='May 17 2008, 10:53 PM']For a CPU, go with the latest Intel CPU's, either the Yorkfields or Wolfdales, depending on how many cores you need.

Yorkfield - Quads
Wolfdales - Duos

CPU's that use the later 45nm technology. I have the e3110, the Xeon version of the e8400. Fast as hell. Other than that, just use good brand stuff, since you're not worried about graphics, you can spend very little without needing the badass video card. If you give me a good idea of what kind of programs, I can probably help find exactly what you need.[/quote]

It will be mainly Excel, WebEx and PerTrac Analytical Platform (hedge fund analysis software built in VB on the .net framework). Open lots of big SQL and Access databases. That's pretty much it.

[quote name='sois' post='666459' date='May 18 2008, 10:09 PM']It will be mainly Excel, WebEx and PerTrac Analytical Platform (hedge fund analysis software built in VB on the .net framework). Open lots of big SQL and Access databases. That's pretty much it.[/quote]

Drop 3 GB of RAM in it and make your swap space 4.5 GB.

Memory is just as important when running SQL as the processor...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='666461' date='May 18 2008, 10:12 PM']Drop 3 GB of RAM in it and make your swap space 4.5 GB.

Memory is just as important when running SQL as the processor...[/quote]

thansk flocko, i will check that out too.

Archived