With the first pick of the 2009 nfl draft...

[quote name='ccartman2' post='706826' date='Sep 29 2008, 10:24 PM']NO QB, WLB, CB, S, or DE. [b]WE have too much money tied up in Geathers and Odom[/b], so it's not going to happen. Plus Rucker has actually played pretty well too. And though I think they should consider it, I doubt they take a DT with Peko, plus Sims and possibly Shirley, depending on how he develops. Could be wrong there on the DT assessment though. I would also say no to Beanie Wells, even though I'm a Buckeye fan, if we took a RB. While I think he has great talent, he has been hurt all three seasons he has played for the Bengals. Hell, he wasn't even hit when he got hurt this year. Other then that, I'll leave draft assessment up to the experts here, as I don't watch enough College to make an educated statement. Just don't want another RB made of Glass.[/quote]

I don't care how much money we have tied up in them if they aren't producing. I still have to wonder if Geathers wouldn't be better suited to playing SLB. He seems to do much better "in space" than manned up on someone. And I do think he's athletic enough to make that switch.

Any chance the Bengals switch to a 3-4 and move Geathers and Odom to Olb, then move Rivers to MLB and draft another mlb in the first or second round? It seems that the Bengals have the bodies on the dline to run this style of defense, and if Shirley and Sims develop into productive players they already have their D ends and nose tackle for a 3-4 with Rucker and Fanene as the backup DEs. Maybe try and pick up a good Nose tackle in FA if Shirley has any delays in his maturation. Maybe try and go for Haynesworth and plug him in at NT. This will atleast get rid of the smaller dlineman that the Bengals seem to have playing on their defense.

It could be in the cards but this team isn't proactive enough to "get the players" neccessary to make the switch... They'll be paitent and wait until the right players "fall to them." The Jets went complete 3-4 last year...were miserable, said we need to upgrade. So they went out, traded their 4-3 MLB, Signed a 3-4 NT, signed a 3-4 OLB, and drafted a 3-4 OLB and said "now we are ready to run the 3-4."

Marvin says they would like to give 3-4 looks but they will work with the talent on the roster...fuck that...go get the talent it takes to execute whatever fucking scheme you're trying to run.

I don't think the current D scheme is neccessarily bad, they are just missing a Penetrating DT, a fierce sideline-to-sideline MLB, and a DE who can win 1 on 1 matchups. Hopefully with more time Odom can become that DE, and Sims or Shirley could become that DT, and they draft that MLB.

But likely Odom will never live up to expectations, Sims and Shirley won't be able to steal time away from Thornton which leads to them having to take next year to learn on the job, and our MLB draft pick will be found in cardiac arrest with a needle in his arm and 6 dead hookers in his closet the day after the draft.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='706999' date='Sep 30 2008, 01:07 PM']It could be in the cards but this team isn't proactive enough to "get the players" neccessary to make the switch... They'll be paitent and wait until the right players "fall to them." The Jets went complete 3-4 last year...were miserable, said we need to upgrade. So they went out, traded their 4-3 MLB, Signed a 3-4 NT, signed a 3-4 OLB, and drafted a 3-4 OLB and said "now we are ready to run the 3-4." [b]And their defense sucks this year. [/b]

Marvin says they would like to give 3-4 looks but they will work with the talent on the roster...fuck that...go get the talent it takes to execute whatever fucking scheme you're trying to run.

I don't think the current D scheme is neccessarily bad, they are just missing a Penetrating DT, a fierce sideline-to-sideline MLB, and a DE who can win 1 on 1 matchups. Hopefully with more time Odom can become that DE, and Sims or Shirley could become that DT, and they draft that MLB.

But likely Odom will never live up to expectations, Sims and Shirley won't be able to steal time away from Thornton which leads to them having to take next year to learn on the job, and our MLB draft pick will be found in cardiac arrest with a needle in his arm and 6 dead hookers in his closet the day after the draft.[/quote]

fixt.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='707008' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:20 PM']fixt.[/quote]
:lol: Well its still a little too early to tell, but I think they are better than last years D.

Plus I'm not talking about the results per say but the fact that they identified what they needed, went out and changed things and gave fans hope...our team seems content year in and year out to play with the players we currently have and "try to make it work" with the same results.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='706999' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:07 PM']It could be in the cards but this team isn't proactive enough to "get the players" neccessary to make the switch... They'll be paitent and wait until the right players "fall to them." The Jets went complete 3-4 last year...were miserable, said we need to upgrade. So they went out, traded their 4-3 MLB, Signed a 3-4 NT, signed a 3-4 OLB, and drafted a 3-4 OLB and said "now we are ready to run the 3-4."

But likely Odom will never live up to expectations, Sims and Shirley won't be able to steal time away from Thornton which leads to them having to take next year to learn on the job, and [b]our MLB draft pick will be found in cardiac arrest with a needle in his arm and 6 dead hookers in his closet the day after the draft.[/b][/quote]

Maybe if they draft Maualuga, but certainly not Laurinaitis.

:ninja:

:D

Archived