Elapsed time to line of scrimmage in running plays

Out of curiousity, how many here feel that our running plays are too slow developing? When I watch the game, it feels like we're always using up more time compared to the other team from snap to when the RB gets to the line of scrimmage level, whether it's because they're tip toeing, making too many cuts, juking pentrating defenders or simply the hand-off or pitch is very deep. Especially when compared to other teams I think we're always a half second slower getting the RB back to line of scrimmage level. I know there are some that say a RB needs to be patient to let his blocks develop, but is patience really a luxury one can afford in todays NFL with bigger and faster defensive players. Would it better to just cut up the field faster? If you were Brat, what would you do? How much does it hurt not to have a full back that can run? We haven't yet handed the ball once to a full back this year. Just some thoughts here. I'd be interested to hear some comments back.

[quote name='ValleyBengal' post='712929' date='Oct 13 2008, 11:04 AM']Out of curiousity, how many here feel that our running plays are too slow developing? When I watch the game, it feels like we're always using up more time compared to the other team from snap to when the RB gets to the line of scrimmage level, whether it's because they're tip toeing, making too many cuts, juking pentrating defenders or simply the hand-off or pitch is very deep. Especially when compared to other teams I think we're always a half second slower getting the RB back to line of scrimmage level. I know there are some that say a RB needs to be patient to let his blocks develop, but is patience really a luxury one can afford in todays NFL with bigger and faster defensive players. Would it better to just cut up the field faster? If you were Brat, what would you do? How much does it hurt not to have a full back that can run? We haven't yet handed the ball once to a full back this year. Just some thoughts here. I'd be interested to hear some comments back.[/quote]

I would be interested in hearing these comments as well. This has been a concern for me as well, but my lack of knowledge in this area, as well as my lack of studying the other teams play here, means I don't have an educated opinion.

[quote name='ValleyBengal' post='712929' date='Oct 13 2008, 11:04 AM']Out of curiousity, how many here feel that our running plays are too slow developing? When I watch the game, it feels like we're always using up more time compared to the other team from snap to when the RB gets to the line of scrimmage level, whether it's because they're tip toeing, making too many cuts, juking pentrating defenders or simply[b] the hand-off or pitch is very deep.[/b] Especially when compared to other teams I think we're always a half second slower getting the RB back to line of scrimmage level. I know there are some that say a RB needs to be patient to let his blocks develop, but is patience really a luxury one can afford in todays NFL with bigger and faster defensive players. Would it better to just cut up the field faster? If you were Brat, what would you do? How much does it hurt not to have a full back that can run? We haven't yet handed the ball once to a full back this year. Just some thoughts here. I'd be interested to hear some comments back.[/quote]

I've always thought our RB lines up too deep in the backfield.

[quote name='ValleyBengal' post='712929' date='Oct 13 2008, 12:04 PM']Out of curiousity, how many here feel that our running plays are too slow developing? When I watch the game, it feels like we're always using up more time compared to the other team from snap to when the RB gets to the line of scrimmage level, whether it's because they're tip toeing, making too many cuts, juking pentrating defenders or simply the hand-off or pitch is very deep. Especially when compared to other teams I think we're always a half second slower getting the RB back to line of scrimmage level. I know there are some that say a RB needs to be patient to let his blocks develop, but is patience really a luxury one can afford in todays NFL with bigger and faster defensive players. Would it better to just cut up the field faster? [color="#FF0000"][b]If you were Brat, what would you do?[/b][/color] How much does it hurt not to have a full back that can run? We haven't yet handed the ball once to a full back this year. Just some thoughts here. I'd be interested to hear some comments back.[/quote]
Kill myself.

Someone had to say it....

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='713070' date='Oct 13 2008, 02:19 PM']Kill myself.

Someone had to say it....[/quote]

I know (or at least hope) that this was said in jest, but

I do wish such extreme comments weren't so prevalent and easily spoken online...

Not really tryin to stifle it, but just putting in my .02 that overall I wish people didn't have such extreme thoughts.

Sorry to be a downer.....carry on.

Archived