Last One Left

Homer_Rice

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='719955' date='Oct 31 2008, 07:06 PM'][url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2008/jan/12/weekend7.weekend2"]I escaped from a Death Camp.[/url][/quote]
Very interesting read. Being an educator in South Florida I have been fortunate (in a weird sense) to have met the last generation of survivors. It is resoundingly impactful for both students and teachers alike to listen to first-hand accounts. For what it's worth, the school system down here does a good job of making people like these, who want to share their experiences, available. My only wish is that other veterans from the war (American and others) be as available.

We truly are losing a direct link to the past with these folks.

[quote name='jza10304' post='720120' date='Nov 1 2008, 07:10 PM']Very interesting read. Being an educator in South Florida I have been fortunate (in a weird sense) to have met the last generation of survivors. It is resoundingly impactful for both students and teachers alike to listen to first-hand accounts. For what it's worth, the school system down here does a good job of making people like these, who want to share their experiences, available. My only wish is that other veterans from the war (American and others) be as available.

We truly are losing a direct link to the past with these folks.[/quote]
It's great that you are able to get some of these folks in to speak to your classes. I grew up in Bond Hill/Roselawn which during the 60s was full of Holocaust survivors; lots of my friends had parents who were survivors. I feel a special affinity for them--the hardships they endured are almost unimaginable.

Similarly, seems to me I recently read that there is only one last surviving vet from WWI. The older you get, the more one's perception of "time" changes. When I was born, there were still one or two Civil War vets alive.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='720130' date='Nov 1 2008, 07:57 PM']Similarly, seems to me I recently read that there is only one last surviving vet from WWI.[/quote]

I know the one you're talking about - I just saw him in the news, too:

[img]http://blog.meevee.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/02/electmeiwasonletterman.png[/img]

Archived