SO.... im switching to..... MAC's

[quote name='Ben' post='729913' date='Dec 4 2008, 05:00 PM']why not just get a portable 2.5" drive if you need extra storage? or buy the drive and enclosure...[/quote]

[quote name='Elflocko' post='729918' date='Dec 4 2008, 05:07 PM']Yeah.

He'll want an external drive for Time Machine anyway...[/quote]

i have a 500 gig extenral drive now.. i have another internal i will likely but an enclosure for, or just grab a TB external and hook it up to the mac mini and share the drive on my network. ..

but it never hurts to have space handy on the notebook... it just comes with a 160, which i have a 120 now, and have space left.. so id be fine i think, but i can do the $200 upcharge they offer for $75.. seems like a reasonable expense with some upside... but perhaps i shouldnt bother worrying about that until its "needed"

• 1 month later...

So the Mac equipment tally is getting rather high....

so far..

Macbook 2.4ghz Aluminum (Wifes)
Macbook pro 2.4 ghz Aluminum (Mine)
Time Capsule (500GB)
Bluetooth Keyboard (Mine)
Bluetooth Mouse (2) (Both)
USB Keyboard (Wife)
2x Minidisplay Port to DVI-D adapters &1 1 to 2 DVI-D splitter cable

aside from the non-apple branded displays im getting i think im done..

ill probably replace my ipod touch with the 32 gb one tho.. maybe down the road.. :mellow:

[quote name='GoBengals' post='743553' date='Feb 1 2009, 12:43 AM']So the Mac equipment tally is getting rather high....

so far..

Macbook 2.4ghz Aluminum (Wifes)
Macbook pro 2.4 ghz Aluminum (Mine)
Time Capsule (500GB)
Bluetooth Keyboard (Mine)
Bluetooth Mouse (2) (Both)
USB Keyboard (Wife)
2x Minidisplay Port to DVI-D adapters &1 1 to 2 DVI-D splitter cable

aside from the non-apple branded displays im getting i think im done..

ill probably replace my ipod touch with the 32 gb one tho.. maybe down the road.. :mellow:[/quote]

Everything working as expected?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='729864' date='Dec 4 2008, 01:53 PM']WOW... that shits $250 bones... for merely 2 more years coverage... that SEEMS crazy..

:panicbutton:[/quote]
Especially when that kind of money will go a long way towards buying a whole new PC if it breaks. Plus you can diagnose and fix it yourself. And when you do, that 250 will probably cover whatever replacement part you need to buy.

Seriously, do Macs really need to be fixed that often? I've never had to do more than replace a CD-ROM drive in any PC that I've built. They last way longer than 3 years.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='743558' date='Feb 1 2009, 08:24 AM']Especially when that kind of money will go a long way towards buying a whole new PC if it breaks. Plus you can diagnose and fix it yourself. And when you do, that 250 will probably cover whatever replacement part you need to buy.

Seriously, do Macs really need to be fixed that often? I've never had to do more than replace a CD-ROM drive in any PC that I've built. They last way longer than 3 years.[/quote]

2 years ago, I'd have said to never get "extended care" of any sort on anything other than a nice HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick), and only because you just know the sensors on the stick will go bad sooner or later. Now... it depends. On my MacBook Pro, I opted not to go with the Apple care. My brother, with 2 small children who get into everything, thought it might be a good idea to invest in the extra Apple Care. :) When I get my Mac Pro, I'll probably go with the Apple Care for peace of mind. $300 on a laptop is a bit expensive for someone able to take good care of their stuff. $300 for someone with small kids, or for someone making a significant financial investment into a piece of hardware, isn't quite so expensive.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='743558' date='Feb 1 2009, 07:24 AM']Especially when that kind of money will go a long way towards buying a whole new PC if it breaks. Plus you can diagnose and fix it yourself. And when you do, that 250 will probably cover whatever replacement part you need to buy.

Seriously, do Macs really need to be fixed that often? I've never had to do more than replace a CD-ROM drive in any PC that I've built. They last way longer than 3 years.[/quote]

I've had a fan go out in 6 years of owning them, so not often.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='743558' date='Feb 1 2009, 07:24 AM']Especially when that kind of money will go a long way towards buying a whole new PC if it breaks. Plus you can diagnose and fix it yourself. And when you do, that 250 will probably cover whatever replacement part you need to buy.

its not about needing to be fixed, just a freak accident or burnout,, or something you did you can pawn off on them to fix..

no different than the extended warranties bestbuy sells... always a risk involved..

ive decided probably to just gate off my office, and have already told the children they cant even touch these notebooks and gave them the windows one to play games on... and its worked perfectly so far.. so i may skip it..

i have a year to decide..

Archived