SO.... im switching to..... MAC's

and really its simply to get the best of both worlds, a mac is increasingly something i need with mine and my wifes photography and my son being more interesting in computers, the two buttons and what not gets him sometimes.. he is 3.5 yrs old... a mac would be easier for him to use and learn..

and i can run windows with parallels so i lose nothing really....

im planning on having 2 macbooks an i mac and a mac mini to attach to our TV for doing slideshows for family and for my son to play games on the tv.

so since im going to be spending roughly $4,000 on macs in the next 6 months. im wondering if there aree any deals of any kind in any way?

the education store gives seemingly NOTHING off.

macmall.com is a little cheaper but the mail in rebates dont appeal to me all that much and aside from those the savings is rarely more than $25 per unit, so $100 id rather just go to the mac store and walk out with my units.

id love to save like $500...

any suggestions?

i probably wont be buying them all at once..

im gonna grab the new macbook aluminum for myself and get the previous gen macbook for my wife, i will still ahve my PC desktop and a dell notebook until they die or i sell them or something..

but any suggestions or recommendations on getting any deal at all? it seems impossible... the black friday sales was $101 off each unit, roughly.. but that wasnt enough for me to spend our whole bank account for the immense savings....

A. Welcome to the darkside (insert sinister laugh here). You won't go back, especially if you spring for Aperture for your photography stuff.

B. Unless we hit full-bore depression or the recession lasts another 2 years, you just won't see any discounts on Apple products. Your best bet for a price break is to look for refurbished products on Apple's site [url="http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=MTM3MzI"]Here[/url]

C. I highly recommend VMWare Fusion over Parallels. I've used both since they were Beta, and once Fusion came out for production, they've blown past Parallels and haven't looked back in terms of stability, functionality, and support. Plus I think they're a bit cheaper. I might also have a spare license you can "borrow".

D. I also [b]HIGHLY[/b] recommend that you hold off on getting the aluminum MacBook until it has been refreshed\updated at least once. Take it from me, you never want to buy first-generation Apple shit... :glare:

[quote name='Elflocko' post='729838' date='Dec 4 2008, 01:29 PM']A. Welcome to the darkside (insert sinister laugh here). You won't go back, especially if you spring for Aperture for your photography stuff.

B. Unless we hit full-bore depression or the recession lasts another 2 years, you just won't see any discounts on Apple products. Your best bet for a price break is to look for refurbished products on Apple's site [url="http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=MTM3MzI"]Here[/url]

C. I highly recommend VMWare Fusion over Parallels. I've used both since they were Beta, and once Fusion came out for production, they've blown past Parallels and haven't looked back in terms of stability, functionality, and support. Plus I think they're a bit cheaper. I might also have a spare license you can "borrow".

D. I also [b]HIGHLY[/b] recommend that you hold off on getting the aluminum MacBook until it has been refreshed\updated at least once. Take it from me, you never want to buy first-generation Apple shit... :glare:[/quote]

thanks, whats the typical turn around on a refresh of thier devices? im likely making my first purchase in the next 3-6 weeks. im getting the imac and wifes macbook from the refurb, i got my ipod there too so im up on that game, but there want be any aluminum units there for some time, and if they are theyll be the original units... or do they update them all once they are updated?

ill definetly "Buy" aperture, and thanks for the heads up on the VMWare, i firend was gonna let me "barrow" his parallels license so i was going that route for that reason.. so thanks in advance for that!.

ill be biting my nails from now till i buy...

more advice welcome from all..

[quote name='GoBengals' post='729843' date='Dec 4 2008, 12:41 PM']thanks, whats the typical turn around on a refresh of thier devices? im likely making my first purchase in the next 3-6 weeks. im getting the imac and wifes macbook from the refurb, i got my ipod there too so im up on that game, but there want be any aluminum units there for some time, and if they are theyll be the original units... or do they update them all once they are updated?

ill definetly "Buy" aperture, and thanks for the heads up on the VMWare, i firend was gonna let me "barrow" his parallels license so i was going that route for that reason.. so thanks in advance for that!.

ill be biting my nails from now till i buy...

more advice welcome from all..[/quote]

Bet on 3-6 months for the first refresh of the Aluminum MacBook. As for refurbs, you'll see all versions. Just depends on what broke. I've seen a couple of the aluminums already, but they were gone in about 15 minutes.

I just need to make sure that the license I have are still valid for the current version of Fusion...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='729848' date='Dec 4 2008, 01:56 PM']Bet on 3-6 months for the first refresh of the Aluminum MacBook. As for refurbs, you'll see all versions. Just depends on what broke. I've seen a couple of the aluminums already, but they were gone in about 15 minutes.

I just need to make sure that the license I have are still valid for the current version of Fusion...[/quote]

itll be tough to wait that long... :anticipate: *bites nails* :anticipate:

[quote name='Elflocko' post='729849' date='Dec 4 2008, 01:59 PM']And in other news, this is all Go's fault...

[url="http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/12/02/1857253"]Windows Market Share Drops Below 90%[/url][/quote]

:rsju31uh9: :pointlaff:

[quote name='Elflocko' post='729854' date='Dec 4 2008, 02:09 PM']And whatever you do, bite the bullet and shell out the cash for the Applecare extended warranty. Their support is second to none, but once the first year is up shit can get expensive...[/quote]

WOW... that shits $250 bones... for merely 2 more years coverage... that SEEMS crazy..

:panicbutton:

im going to try and get creative and buy apple gift cards on ebay and places where you can get then a little bit less than what they are worth.. figure i can save 10-15% by doing that... and we asked all family and friends for apple gift cards for xmas as well. and selling a few extra things on ebay i can come up with half the money i think... ..

i kinda wanna get a mac mini now, just to get the feel for osx for a while before i dive into several machines... but it seems odd to buy the machine we would use least, first...

*sigh*

A couple things:

1. They haven't updated the Mac Mini in a long time, but apparently intend to do so in the new year.

Here's a link that tracks the updates of Mac products, and helps you figure out when to buy, and when to hold off for a month or so:
[url="http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/"]http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/[/url]

2. Find UC Students. Their student discount should knock $100-200 off each computer (except maybe the Mini).

3. I'm a little torn on the Apple Care angle. I know people who have bought it and had it come in real handy. It's amazing what they'll replace under that Apple Care plan. For me, I ran on the assumption that if it was going to go wrong, it would either do it the first year, or five years down the road when stuff like HDs start to go... So far to good for me.

Of course, you have children, so that totally changes how possible it is for something to go wrong. :)

4. Welcome to the Mac World. I'm buying a Macbook for the lady this Xmas. It's going to make my life so much easier. :D

[quote name='mongo' post='729882' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:22 PM']A couple things:

1. They haven't updated the Mac Mini in a long time, but apparently intend to do so in the new year.

Here's a link that tracks the updates of Mac products, and helps you figure out when to buy, and when to hold off for a month or so:
[url="http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/"]http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/[/url]

2. Find UC Students. Their student discount should knock $100-200 off each computer (except maybe the Mini).[/quote]

I've also seen\heard rumblings that they might kill it and bring out a new medium form factor. :shrug:

Hope they update it, as the Mini is a nice little unit...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='729864' date='Dec 4 2008, 01:53 PM']WOW... that shits $250 bones... for merely 2 more years coverage... that SEEMS crazy..

:panicbutton:[/quote]

At least until the LCD on your laptop goes out (never had it happen, but it would cost you $500 to get it fixed if it did).

If nothing else I'd get it for the laptop(s). They move and bang around so much the chances of something going awry is greater.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='729891' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:28 PM']I heard he wrote Mein Kampf in Apple Works...[/quote]

When you only have 1 ball, you only need a 1 button mouse.

/i know the 1 button mouse thing is no longer true....

[quote name='mongo' post='729882' date='Dec 4 2008, 04:22 PM']A couple things:

2. Find UC Students. Their student discount should knock $100-200 off each computer (except maybe the Mini).

3. I'm a little torn on the Apple Care angle. I know people who have bought it and had it come in real handy. It's amazing what they'll replace under that Apple Care plan. For me, I ran on the assumption that if it was going to go wrong, it would either do it the first year, or five years down the road when stuff like HDs start to go... So far to good for me.

Of course, you have children, so that totally changes how possible it is for something to go wrong. :)

4. Welcome to the Mac World. I'm buying a Macbook for the lady this Xmas. It's going to make my life so much easier. :D[/quote]

thanks for the info, interesting site there... ill hold off on the mini then. the macbook are top priority but sadly top dollar on the list too.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='729890' date='Dec 4 2008, 04:27 PM']At least until the LCD on your laptop goes out (never had it happen, but it would cost you $500 to get it fixed if it did).

If nothing else I'd get it for the laptop(s). They move and bang around so much the chances of something going awry is greater.[/quote]

i may get it for the wifes laptop, and MAYBE mine. wife is a bit careless, so its probably worth it...

and i plan on being cheap o the upgrades, as it seems there are a few dozen "upgrade your own ram" videos nd tutorials online for macs, and i see now reason to spend several hundred to upgrade ram when i can do it myself for $50 ...

any reason i should not do this?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='729897' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:47 PM']thanks for the info, interesting site there... ill hold off on the mini then. the macbook are top priority but sadly top dollar on the list too.

i may get it for the wifes laptop, and MAYBE mine. wife is a bit careless, so its probably worth it...

and i plan on being cheap o the upgrades, as it seems there are a few dozen "upgrade your own ram" videos nd tutorials online for macs, and i see now reason to spend several hundred to upgrade ram when i can do it myself for $50 ...

any reason i should not do this?[/quote]

probably violates your warranty.... ig uess just keep the old ram around to pop back in if you ever need warranty repairs. i'm not sure if they have anything in the bios or anything that detects hardware changes.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='729897' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:47 PM']thanks for the info, interesting site there... ill hold off on the mini then. the macbook are top priority but sadly top dollar on the list too.

any reason i should not do this?[/quote]

[b]NEVER[/b] buy the RAM from Apple, as it's horribly overpriced. Adding memory to a Mac is easy as hell these days and you can save yourself hundreds of dollars. Just don't try to swap out the HDD on an older PowerBook or MacBook Pro. I swear you have to take out 36 screws.....

[quote name='Ben' post='729898' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:48 PM'][b]probably violates your warranty[/b].... ig uess just keep the old ram around to pop back in if you ever need warranty repairs. i'm not sure if they have anything in the bios or anything that detects hardware changes.[/quote]

It won't.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='729900' date='Dec 4 2008, 04:50 PM'][b]NEVER[/b] buy the RAM from Apple, as it's horribly overpriced. Adding memory to a Mac is easy as hell these days and you can save yourself hundreds of dollars. Just don't try to swap out the HDD on an older PowerBook or MacBook Pro. I swear you have to take out 36 screws.....

It won't.[/quote]

thts my plan, even some high end shit from new egg is less than half the price from apple.

cool, i feel better about that strategy already...

what about the HD on a new macbook? a 320gb is only $75 on newegg.. or would that be a bit risky to change?

[quote name='GoBengals' post='729911' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:58 PM']thts my plan, even some high end shit from new egg is less than half the price from apple.

cool, i feel better about that strategy already...

what about the HD on a new macbook? a 320gb is only $75 on newegg.. or would that be a bit risky to change?[/quote]

why not just get a portable 2.5" drive if you need extra storage? or buy the drive and enclosure...

[quote name='Ben' post='729886' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:25 PM']You know who else switch to a MAC....? Hitler[/quote]

[quote name='Elflocko' post='729891' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:28 PM']I heard he wrote Mein Kampf in Apple Works...[/quote]

[quote name='Ben' post='729893' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:41 PM']When you only have 1 ball, you only need a 1 button mouse.

/i know the 1 button mouse thing is no longer true....[/quote]

:lol:

Archived