Microsoft Releases Windows 7 Beta as a Free Download

[quote name='Ben' post='738595' date='Jan 9 2009, 09:53 AM']Hey elf... Is there any reason why a vmware fusion type product could work on *nix or is it more apple not wanting to share their toys?

osX is based off of free bsd right?

I know bsd isnt the same as linux, but....

I would love to be able to just run Fedora/Ubuntu/FreeBSD and then have something like Vmware fusion. Wine just isnt there yet...

... on the number of applications linux has.. There is a free opensource software package out there for pretty much anything you could want to do.[/quote]

If I'm understanding your question (only 1 cup of coffee this morning) you're looking for [url="http://www.virtualbox.org/"]Virtual Box[/url]. VMWare is only about making money, and Linux users don't pay for software.

Ever.

The other option is Parallels which also costs $ and is twitchy in Linux\Unix.

VB is really impressive..

[quote name='Elflocko' post='738599' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:00 AM']If I'm understanding your question (only 1 cup of coffee this morning) you're looking for [url="http://www.virtualbox.org/"]Virtual Box[/url]. VMWare is only about making money, and Linux users don't pay for software.

Ever.

The other option is Parallels which also costs $ and is twitchy in Linux\Unix.

VB is really impressive..[/quote]

So how well does VB work for running actual games/applications? I know talking to you... with vmware fusion you can pretty much seamlessly launch apps in osx

[quote name='Ben' post='738612' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:26 AM']So how well does VB work for running actual games/applications? I know talking to you... with vmware fusion you can pretty much seamlessly launch apps in osx[/quote]

I haven't used VB for gaming, and I don't know that it has the Direct-X support you'd need for gaming. If you have a high-end system and can throw a couple of CPU's and a good chunk of memory at it it'd be worth a shot...

As for applications, I've run SQL Server 2008 on it without any issues...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='738631' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:29 AM']I haven't used VB for gaming, and I don't know that it has the Direct-X support you'd need for gaming. If you have a high-end system and can throw a couple of CPU's and a good chunk of memory at it it'd be worth a shot...

As for applications, I've run SQL Server 2008 on it without any issues...[/quote]

Do you like it better than VMWare Server?

[quote name='Ben' post='738661' date='Jan 9 2009, 01:16 PM']Do you like it better than VMWare Server?[/quote]

Different animals. VB is easier to manage\install, and you don't have to worry about managing IIS\Apache on top of it.

VMS is nice if you have a shit-ton of VM's. Overall performance is comparable.

'Course VMWare tend to be a bunch of money-grubbing cock monkeys, so I'll always lean towards free when I can...

[quote name='VonBlade' post='738689' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:11 PM']You should. I'm really good B)[/quote]

:lol:

Well played...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='738708' date='Jan 9 2009, 03:03 PM']Different animals. VB is easier to manage\install, and you don't have to worry about managing IIS\Apache on top of it.

VMS is nice if you have a shit-ton of VM's. Overall performance is comparable.

'Course VMWare tend to be a bunch of money-grubbing cock monkeys, so I'll always lean towards free when I can...

:lol:

Well played...[/quote]

vmware server is free....

but not having to worry about IIS/Apache sounds nice.

[quote name='Ben' post='738712' date='Jan 9 2009, 03:30 PM']I just implement for it, someone else writes the check.....[/quote]

Same here, but I still have to hear people bitch about how much it costs.

VMWare: "Oh, you want it to work? That'll be an extra license".

BTW, what are you using for SAN?

What about backup?

[quote name='Elflocko' post='738713' date='Jan 9 2009, 03:34 PM']Same here, but I still have to hear people bitch about how much it costs.

What about backup?[/quote]

I actually dont do anything with it anymore, makes me sad. I changed jobs in a self preservation move.

When i left....... Well.. i wont get into details, but we are an EMC only shop now due to some "deals" that were made.

For backups.... We were not doing anything too complicated, just Veritas netbackup on the image if someone wanted to pay for a backup.

I know they were looking at Avamar to replace Veritas.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='738713' date='Jan 9 2009, 03:34 PM']Same here, but I still have to hear people bitch about how much it costs.

What about backup?[/quote]

My biggest problems was capacity, mainly SAN capacity. People dont understand that a TB of network storage is not the same cost as a 1TB drive at compusa.

Also, just because there is space available, that doesnt mean you utilize 100% of it. that makes bad things happen.

And people throwing too many images on one host.

When i was cleaning up one area of the environment(after we took over a farm from another part of the organization), i would frequently have to ask questions like, "Why does your Web server need 4 cpu and 8gb of ram?"

Basically people want everything for free and no one wants to buy hardware.

[quote name='Ben' post='738715' date='Jan 9 2009, 03:38 PM']I actually dont do anything with it anymore, makes me sad. I changed jobs in a self preservation move.

When i left....... Well.. i wont get into details, but we are an EMC only shop now due to some "deals" that were made.

For backups.... We were not doing anything too complicated, just Veritas netbackup on the image if someone wanted to pay for a backup.

I know they were looking at Avamar to replace Veritas.[/quote]

That sucks...

If you get back into it, Equallogic makes some kick-ass SANs for the money.

For backup, check out [url="http://www.esxpress.com/"]esXpress[/url]

[quote name='Elflocko' post='738717' date='Jan 9 2009, 03:43 PM']That sucks...

If you get back into it, Equallogic makes some kick-ass SANs for the money.

For backup, check out [url="http://www.esxpress.com/"]esXpress[/url][/quote]

the iSCSI stuff looks cool.

[quote name='Ben' post='738718' date='Jan 9 2009, 03:43 PM']the iSCSI stuff looks cool.[/quote]

Really no need to go Fiber-Channel either (unless you're running a bunch of huge Oracle DB's). Just get a couple of hardware HBA's for each VAPP and the speed is delightful...

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='738725' date='Jan 9 2009, 04:19 PM']FYI, Direct links here [url="http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/01/windows-7-publi.html"]http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/01/windows-7-publi.html[/url][/quote]

Thanks downloading.

Archived