Subdomains & forwarding & stats tracking.

GoBengals

ok, so i need to install a message board on another domain name, but say i want all of the stats from it to count towards THIS domain (all hypothetical as its for a client of mine)..

can i make [url="http://forum2.go-bengals.com"]http://forum2.go-bengals.com[/url] but ahve the forum based at www.bigbadbengalsmessageboardandfansite.org i dont think forwarding the subdomain to that link will totally work, just as for the first click i would imagine.. or is it if i install it there and SAY its installed at forum2.go-bengals.com will forum2.go-bengals.com/index.php?act=post=234454 forward blindly to that on the real domain flawlessly?

seems unlikely..

is there any way to "steal" the traffic stats from the other domain essentailly? i cannot ossibly install them on the same server as one another.. 100% impossible. but i will own both servers.. just cant put it on the same one..

suggestions and possibilities?

The whole point of stats is to get an accurate representation of activity at a given site.

I can only think of one reason why an organization might want to artificially "hijack" stats and it's unscrupulous.

If someone were to make this request of me, as an intermediary ISP/hosting outfit, then my antenna would immediately go "Boing!!!"

I'd be worried that if I enabled such behavior, I would have crossed the line from intermediary to an active participant in the deception.

And I'm not sure you would be able to indemnify yourself in such circumstances.

Been a decade since I've done anything related to ISP work, so maybe it's possible technically, but I'd have a problem with the ethical side of things.

FWIW.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='746576' date='Feb 14 2009, 08:13 PM']The whole point of stats is to get an accurate representation of activity at a given site.

I can only think of one reason why an organization might want to artificially "hijack" stats and it's unscrupulous.

If someone were to make this request of me, as an intermediary ISP/hosting outfit, then my antenna would immediately go "Boing!!!"

I'd be worried that if I enabled such behavior, I would have crossed the line from intermediary to an active participant in the deception.

And I'm not sure you would be able to indemnify yourself in such circumstances.

Been a decade since I've done anything related to ISP work, so maybe it's possible technically, but I'd have a problem with the ethical side of things.

FWIW.[/quote]

i see where that opinion would come about, its not as shady as it seems.

essentially i have a client, whom is housed on its associates server, example. bengals.com is essentially bengals.nfl.com, anything added to bengals.com is added via nfl.com, needless to say, nfl.com is strict about its "access" to the server. thus if bengals.com wants to add a new fansite, or fanblog, that requires a script and access to a script installer to add databases, run quirires, etc that "nfl.com" doesnt want to give access to, then bengals.com must do it on its own, get its own hosting/server and use another domain, but for marketing, rankkings within the org, etc, they want the stats to count for "bengals.com" not for "bengalsothersite.com"

they own and run both, but due to big brother, are handicapped with installing some rather simple software and getting script install help from the script/software makers themselves.

and stats are auto-ranked (which is rather important to be ranked high) based on the data colelcted from "nfl.com" so a subdomain on bengalsothersite.bengals.com which is just a forward to bengalsothersite.com but wants to get full credit for the hits.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='746578' date='Feb 14 2009, 08:31 PM']Logistically I don't think it's possible.

I put in a question with a couple of folks that are better with DNS and the whatnot than I am to get confirmation one way or the other...[/quote]

cool, thanks, lemme know if you hear anything. its a remotely "important" topic for myself and a friend...

for example.. my thought of this "working" is this..

its essentially a forum like this one..

same concept at least..

i have a sub domain forum.go-bengals.com which is OBVIOUSLY go-bengals.com/forum

when i install the software, it asks for the link where its installed, i put forum.go-bengals.com so if you go to go-bengals.com/forum and click on ANY link, it goes to forum.go-bengals.com/index.php etc... same with every thread topic, etc..

so if i installed the forum at bengalsothersite.com but SAID its installed at bengalsothersite.bengals.com wouldnt it essentially make every hit go through bengalsothersite.bengals.com

i assume the potential downside, aside from not working at all, would be a huge lag in time while the links forward back and forth with every click..? perhaps..

I think the marketing side of this could be effectively dealt with by using the technical distinction between domain and subdomain to advantage. For example let's extend your analogy a little, and do a comparison and contrast between your hypothetical "bengals.com" and a subdomain, "fullbacks.bengals.com."

It would be possible to work up a report which listed each site's stats separately, as well as to manually combine them in useful ways. Additionally, and here is where there may be some potential benefit, your client would be able to segment out the "fullbacks" component of the overall activity and be able to claim, "Looking at the combined stats, we learn [i]x[/i], but in examining the stats directly related to "fullbacks" we learn [i]y and z[/i]. Sometimes a more fine understanding of the target audience is just what folks wish. Not sure if this would apply in your actual scenario though. If it does, consider designing the subdomain in ways which take advantage of the distinction between domain and subdomain.

I'm sure Elflocko knows a lot more about this than I do, but I cannot ever recall an instance in my experience where spoofing of stats was an issue. Artificially inflating stats for a site, yes, but redirecting them, no.

So your client may be SOL respecting the ranking aspect of this. Perhaps the "powers-that-be" in your client's field of endeavor can be persuaded to revise the manner in which rankings are compiled so as to be more fair to those who have to run a separately served subdomain?

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='746779' date='Feb 15 2009, 06:52 PM']I think the marketing side of this could be effectively dealt with by using the technical distinction between domain and subdomain to advantage. For example let's extend your analogy a little, and do a comparison and contrast between your hypothetical "bengals.com" and a subdomain, "fullbacks.bengals.com."

It would be possible to work up a report which listed each site's stats separately, as well as to manually combine them in useful ways. Additionally, and here is where there may be some potential benefit, your client would be able to segment out the "fullbacks" component of the overall activity and be able to claim, "Looking at the combined stats, we learn [i]x[/i], but in examining the stats directly related to "fullbacks" we learn [i]y and z[/i]. Sometimes a more fine understanding of the target audience is just what folks wish. Not sure if this would apply in your actual scenario though. If it does, consider designing the subdomain in ways which take advantage of the distinction between domain and subdomain.

I'm sure Elflocko knows a lot more about this than I do, but I cannot ever recall an instance in my experience where spoofing of stats was an issue. Artificially inflating stats for a site, yes, but redirecting them, no.

So your client may be SOL respecting the ranking aspect of this. Perhaps the "powers-that-be" [b]in your client's field of endeavor can be persuaded to revise the manner in which rankings are compiled so as to be more fair to those who have to run a separately served subdomain?[/b][/quote]

the highlighted part is rather unlikely. but not necessarily impossible. the other option, i would assume, is to set it up in the new domain/new server, and once the "outsiders" are in and get it all functional, and no longer need access, perhaps see if "big brother" would be able to copy the account from the outside domain/server to the "family server" so to speak.

the short term access is what is likely the problem... for example, its like pulling teeth to get a sql database created for any type of use. where in normal life "hey can you create me a database called "forum" in my domain? thanks!" and the reply "no problem, its done!" would more likely get a response like "im sorry, we are unable to do this"

not only unhelpful, but to a frustrating extent.

we have a few "connections" at the big brother server.. but not good enough to make it happen without flaw.

downtime is another issue, probably the main one, as we could have the outside helpers convert a database externally, but the forum would go offline, back up dataabase, give acces to database remotely, be converted sometime at their own leasure, returned to us, and then install new forum, install skinning and customizations, and then import database.. likely a 2-5 day process, one i would prefer takes a few hours..at like 2am...

its as if the AFC NORTH had a website traffic contest, and the winner gets a free pass to the playoffs, and the Bengals had a forum plan to 4x the traffic of their site, but the nfl wouldnt let them install invision power board, which they needed..

thats the type of situation it is...

tho more pride is the prize than a playoff birth... of course.. ^_^

tho pride/bragging rights is invaluable to my client...

Archived