My mock draft

happyrid

[b]1. Eugene Monroe-[/b] I'm really hoping one of the top 2 OL fall here as I see OT as a big need and I really think we need to get the offense back up to speed. Monroe seems to be pretty solid in both the passing and running game and should be able to start as a rookie. (Backup plan- I like Aaron Maybin at LB)
[img]http://www.virginia.edu/ssp_director/albums/album-82/lg/Monroe_Eugene.jpg[/img]

[b]2. Knowshon Moreno-[/b] I am worried about resigning Benson and even if we do, it would be nice to have a second guy to go with him. Knowshon didn't run fast at the combine, but no one really did and he seems to play fast. (Backup plan- I like addressing the RB position at this point and LeSean McCoy, Donald Brown and Andre Brown all seem like decent options. I'd also consider Harvin as a Reggie Bush type if he slides)
[img]http://www.knowshonzone.com/images/knowshon-moreno-6.jpg[/img]

[b]3. Connor Barwin-[/b] Assuming we can get an OL in the first, we need to address strongside LB and Barwin seems like a guy with a lot of potential at the position. (Backup- another DE/LB type or maybe an OL depending on free agency and the first couple picks).
[img]http://www.nfldraftdog.com/images/Connor%20Barwin.jpg[/img]

[b]3rd comp. Donald Washington- [/b]Zimmer has talked about drafting a CB and converting him to FS and Washington is the perfect candidate. He is a big corner and I expect him to have a huge day at the combine. He was in the doghouse while at OSU for testing positive for weed. Normally, I take all character problem guys off my board. However, following OSU as I do, I'm confident that he is actually a good character guy with high intelligence that is well worth the small risk that he fall back into bad habits.

[img]http://skinnymoose.com/collegeathletics/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/donald-washington-ohio-state-football.jpg[/img]

[b]4. Deon Butler-[/b] A really underrated WR out of PSU who if he is available in the middle of the draft, I would love to see us jump on. He was a walk on who worked really hard and was very consistent over a number of year. I see him as a poor man's Marvin Harrison who will be the steal of this year's draft.

[img]http://thegameowl.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/deon-buter.jpg[/img]

Couple notes: I assumed that our only major free agent signing would be a serviceable center. I also assumed we would get a 3rd round comp for Justin Smith.

Comments? Critiques?

[quote name='Jason' post='749025' date='Feb 24 2009, 02:05 PM']I'll be surprised if any of your first 3 picks last that long. Would be a decent, but not great draft. Need a center.[/quote]

Notice in my comments at the bottom that I assumed that we would sign a center in free agency. My one major hope for the entire offseason is that we sign a veteran center in free agency. I know its a good draft for them but its such an important position that I don't really want to risk starting a rookie there.

I also think that going into the draft with such a glaring hole at the position makes it harder to draft because everyone knows you need it and every team who wants a center will be trying to trade one spot ahead of us.

Moreno and Barwin will definately go before where you have them. Wouldn't complain about Washington or Butler, but rather than Butler I'd be more in favor of using a 3rd on Derrick Williams, also of Penn State. He ran a bad 40 time but if you watch him play, he's got the speed and will be an instant PR and can be developed at WR. If not him, use a 5th or 6th on Sammy Stroughter for the same purpose.

At this rate...I'd be surprised if Barwin was there by our second pick. Especially if there is an unexpected run on LBs in the mid-late teens.

I knew nothing about the guy besides what I thought was Cincy homers talkin on here...but after reading some and watching him in the senior bowl and at the combine he looks like he'll be a fucking steal for which ever good team is able to take a chance on him early. We have too many needs to take a guy who has only played DEF for 1 year of his life in the first 2 rounds, but if he ends up on a team like the Pats, they'll bring him along slowly since they never lose all their LBs to serious injury, put him in select situations where he can suceed and turn him into a monster after a few years.

But not so much for us.

I'm not sure whether Moreno will be gone or not. Our second round pick is #38 so that is just out of the first round. And as a smaller guy, he ran over 4.6 at the combine which has to hurt his stock. At any rate, I would personally like to use that pick on one of the top 3 or 4 RBs which should be realistic because I think only a couple will be gone in the first round and through the first 5 picks of the second.

As for Barwin, I'm not real sure what his value is so people may be right that top of the 3rd is too late for him to still be there. For once, I actually have trust in our LB and D coaches to develop a guy so I would really like to give them an athlete to work with and let them do their thing. Baltimore has struck gold with guys like Bart Scott, Adalius Thomas, etc. who were later picks and finally I think we have the coaches in place to do the same. If not Barwin, some other raw athlete in that mold.

As for the Butler vs. Williams thing, I think Williams got all of the press due to the fact that he was the number one recruit in the country and Butler was a walk on. But, Butler was a far better player over his career and the fact that he ran a 4.38 while Williams ran a 4.68 was not a fluke in my opinion. I also think he has much better hands and is a more polished route runner. Not sure what his value is but I love him as a prospect.

Archived