Our New OUtside LB

[url="http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCurPage=0&news_id=2899"]http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCur...=0&news_id=2899[/url]

EXPERIMENT WORKING: Let it be known that No. 1 pick David Pollack came up with his first interception as an NFL outside linebacker Saturday as he chased the tight end across the field and made a play on the ball.

Then on Sunday he got the Marvin Lewis stamp of approval in his move from defensive end to outside linebacker: "He's further ahead than any guy I've ever had playing that spot," said Lewis, who oversaw a Pro Bowler named Peter Boulware make the switch. "I don't see that being an issue."

Pollack is taking it a step at a time because defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan has told him to. And because he has no choice as he tries to grasp the Xs and Os.

“A lot more complicated, but I like the challenge,” Pollack said of a pro playbook. “I’m feeling better every day with it. I’m getting used to it.”

Bresnahan is trying to make sure he and his coaches don’t hurry Pollack along. But he has been extremely encouraged by what Pollack did in space at this camp.

“He had two pass breakups before the interception,” Bresnahan said. “He’s got a long way to go, but he gets better every day. He’s better in everything we’re teaching him. He’s a coachable guy. He’s making progress. With a guy who has played the position before, you might go a little faster. We have to make sure we go from A to B to C and not A to E to M to R, but that’s good because everyone can learn from that.”

Lewis clearly loves this guy's versatility, and indicated that if he had coached him in college, he wouldn't have played Pollack at end. Asked where he would have played him, Lewis responded with a question of his own.

"Where was Bill Belichick going to play him?" he asked.

When the inquisitor admitted ignorance to the plans of the Patriots head coach, Lewis said, "Middle linebacker."

The first camps have proven it...
We have a new stud at outside linebacker

and his name is Polluck.

If he is this advanced at minicamps, i can wait for him after a full training camp!!!
WHO-DEY!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how much it really matters that Pollack intercepted our 4th string QB, but it is nice to know that Marvin compared him (kinda) to Boulware. I think David will be a great pickup, but let's not be too excited until he plays with the big boys at the real camp and see what he does there.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' date='May 2 2005, 10:44 AM']I don't know how much it really matters that Pollack intercepted our 4th string QB, but it is nice to know that Marvin compared him (kinda) to Boulware.  I think David will be a great pickup, but let's not be too excited until he plays with the big boys at the real camp and see what he does there.
[right][post="87039"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

A 4th string QB with an invite to compete for an NFL roster spot is still proabably a better QB than most he faced in college.

[quote name='Lucid' date='May 2 2005, 06:36 PM']A 4th string QB with an invite to compete for an NFL roster spot is still proabably a better QB than most he faced in college.
[right][post="87237"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

eh.. probably about the same...

Guest CTBengalsFan
[quote name='DanvilleBengal' date='May 2 2005, 09:33 AM']and his name is Polluck.
[right][post="87036"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I think it's actually Pollack.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='May 3 2005, 12:44 PM']eh.. probably about the same...
[right][post="87507"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You don't think Haldi is better that the average college QB (and by average I do mean skill/total players)?

I'm not saying that he'll even make it as a backup in the NFL, but still.

Guest #22
[quote name='Lucid' date='May 3 2005, 09:47 PM']You don't think Haldi is better that the average college QB (and by average I do mean skill/total players)? 

I'm not saying that he'll even make it as a backup in the NFL, but still.
[right][post="87821"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Jay Cutler is in a camp right now
Shane Boyd is in a camp right now
David Green was drafted (Guess he never played against Green, but oh well)
etc.

I'd say the people he faced year in and year out were about as talented as Haldi.
Haldi is as good as the everyday SEC QB, In my opinion.

But Pollack would have damn few oppurtunities to intercept balls playing at DL or DE at Georgia.

Guest Master Shake
Does anyone see him being moved later in his career when he loses his speed?
I could see him either bulking up and moving back to DE.
Or maybe even, if he gets real good at this linebacker thing, moving to MLB and becoming a runstopper.

I think we will definately see some growing pains in Pollack, but by midseason he should be a polished linebacker, making it to the Pro Bowl possibly by his 3rd season.

As for the switching back to end at the end of his career, I doubt it. He has too small of arms, and he would get pushed around. LB is definately the perfect spot for him, and I think he will play out his career there.

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='May 5 2005, 12:11 AM']I think we will definately see some growing pains in Pollack, but by midseason he should be a polished linebacker, making it to the Pro Bowl possibly by his 3rd season.

As for the switching back to end at the end of his career, I doubt it. He has too small of arms, and he would get pushed around. LB is definately the perfect spot for him, and I think he will play out his career there.
[right][post="88609"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I agree. I don't think he'll be ready at the beginning, but around midway, he should be ready for some big-time action. And I still think he's a bit undersized for a DE, so I'll like him to stay at LB also.

Archived