Looking for a new car..

[quote name='Bunghole' date='09 March 2010 - 08:31 PM' timestamp='1268184698' post='868872']
I'm just kidding. A new car is a new car for the most part anymore. I am surprised that the Celica is such a POS though, because aside from Toyota's recent recall issues and their Prius's running amok (which somehow just cracks me up..."Green Granny can't stop her car!"), Toyotas deserve the reliability reputation they have garnered, just like Honda has. They are pretty equal in my mind in that respect.

And I am keenly interested to see/hear about you rebuilding a '41 Chevy truck. I love cars, I just can't afford any nor do I have the time to learn how to work on them.

My Scion was strictly an "A to B" choice, as it replaced my Crown Vic (which I really liked) due to gas mileage. Its an '06 and it is about to turn 70,000 miles and its still under warranty (I paid extra for it). I've never had a problem with it, other than it being a slug and tiny.
[/quote]

I'll make a few posts about the truck over the Summer. I finish up school in May, and my next degree program doesn't start until September, so I am going to use my summer off and start building what I hope doesn't end up being a 5 year project...

This is the body style of the 41, and the direction I plan on taking with the build. Of course, this is a magazine caliber truck, mine won't be. But I want the big wheels, low stance, bright color, etc. It's a long ways away though...

[img]http://image.automotive.com/f/features/10731253+pheader/0812clt_01_z+1941_chevy_truck+driver_side_view.jpg[/img]

Mines a body, a bed leaning against an interior barn wall, some fenders and a hood in the loft, and a modern frame hanging on a wall waiting to be built. The great thing is that the body needs very minimal metal patching, which is rare for a truck this old...

You still have a TON of work to do to get it even close to the truck in that magazine pic based on how you described the condition of your parts. Heck, it doesn't sound like you have an engine yet, which is a hugely expensive part of the equation.

Anyway, good luck on the truck and keep us posted. I love cars/hotrods/musclecars/rally cars, etc.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='09 March 2010 - 09:54 PM' timestamp='1268189663' post='868885']
You still have a TON of work to do to get it even close to the truck in that magazine pic based on how you described the condition of your parts. Heck, it doesn't sound like you have an engine yet, which is a hugely expensive part of the equation.

Anyway, good luck on the truck and keep us posted. I love cars/hotrods/musclecars/rally cars, etc.
[/quote]

Having been around hot rodding since I was a little kid, the truck is in great condition for its age. My dad has a 57 Chevy that was in worse shape than mine, but he lost his motivation to finish it unfortunately...

Engine and tranny will set me back around $1500...I'm keeping it simple to start out. I plan on having it for a while, and with a kid coming into the picture hopefully within the next year or so the budget will be small.

The frame and suspension components are from an 80's S-10, and the availability of parts at cheap prices will certainly help the budget. My father and I will begin the process of fitting everything onto the frame in about 2 weeks (it's not too complicated, beleive it or not the wheelbase is nearly identical, we just have to build custom body mounts, narrow the frame in a small area, and cut off some excess frame rails at the front and rear. It sounds complicated, but he's done much more...)

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='10 March 2010 - 12:09 AM' timestamp='1268197799' post='868913']
Having been around hot rodding since I was a little kid, the truck is in great condition for its age. My dad has a 57 Chevy that was in worse shape than mine, but he lost his motivation to finish it unfortunately...

Engine and tranny will set me back around $1500...I'm keeping it simple to start out. I plan on having it for a while, and with a kid coming into the picture hopefully within the next year or so the budget will be small.

The frame and suspension components are from an 80's S-10, and the availability of parts at cheap prices will certainly help the budget. My father and I will begin the process of fitting everything onto the frame in about 2 weeks (it's not too complicated, beleive it or not the wheelbase is nearly identical, we just have to build custom body mounts, narrow the frame in a small area, and cut off some excess frame rails at the front and rear. It sounds complicated, but he's done much more...)
[/quote]

What kind of engine/tranny combo can you get that's worth a shit for $1500?

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' date='10 March 2010 - 03:05 AM' timestamp='1268208326' post='868923']
What are your guys opinions on a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 ? Found one for 8 with only 78 k miles on it.
[/quote]

For someone like you that's looking for a reliable, new-used car, I'd stay as far away from a Jaguar as possible. Not only do they have a crappy reliability record, they (like many/most European cars) are extremely expensive to repair when/if things go wrong with it.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='10 March 2010 - 01:22 AM' timestamp='1268202152' post='868921']
What kind of engine/tranny combo can you get that's worth a shit for $1500?
[/quote]

4l60e and a 5.3l out of a late model chevy truck? That's just one example...

If you get one that doesn't need rebuilt, and you don't plan on modifying, it's pretty simple...I can get a motor and tranny all day for less than $1500.

It doesn't have to be a brand new crate motor, or an LS1 from a corvette.

Of course, there is a risk there, but I'm not too worried about it. If it needs rebuilt, than so be it.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='10 March 2010 - 06:34 PM' timestamp='1268264043' post='869356']
4l60e and a 5.3l out of a late model chevy truck? That's just one example...

If you get one that doesn't need rebuilt, and you don't plan on modifying, it's pretty simple...I can get a motor and tranny all day for less than $1500.

It doesn't have to be a brand new crate motor, or an LS1 from a corvette.

Of course, there is a risk there, but I'm not too worried about it. If it needs rebuilt, than so be it.
[/quote]

Ah, my bad. I always instantly assume when people are doing rebuilds that they are getting a new motor and tranny. Or at least a rebuilt one.

A Jag? Total Ouch. No car loses more value when it drives off a lot. Stay away from these beasts. A good chance you may end up regretting it. Repair bills are out the roof with one of these. All name, other than that, lots of junk.

Camry running again after Trans Fluid change? Very odd. Fluid exchanges don't normally get cars to start back up. Toyota is known for hot transmissions and burning the shit outta the fluid.

Toyota is a decent selection, but look for something early 2000s. Toyota's qualty has gone down a little though in the recent years as evidenced by the gas pedal situation, but there are other things as well. Especially their newer Camry's. Toyota makes a badass 4runner though. Not only do they look nice, but it's a nice vehicle overall.

The HHR...Is a cobalt. So is a Saturn Ion. I'd drive a Colbalt, neither one of the other 2.

Scion TC is the new Celica. Was always marketed towards the younger crowd.

Stay away from Ford Tarus. Junk. Coolings system problems, trans problems, they like to blow tie rods and wheel linkages.

Honda Element is ok. I like it more than Scion X_ stuff. Know a guy who has almost 500,000 miles on an element. Pretty much drives it all day long, every day.

We have 2 cars.
1. Suzuki Reno. I like our "little" car but this seems to have been kind of a either you got a good one, or a bad one. 68K into a Reno and we haven't had any major issues yet. (Crosses fingers). Was pretty much an impulse new car purchase for a young couple, go home in this nice new car, or that pices of shit in the parking lot. Thank god we got a decent one....She mainly drives

2. I typically drive my 01 Blazer. The 4.3L V6 from Chevy has been a very solid motor over time, they do have their issues though. We don't rely on it much, it's mainly our back and forth to work vehicle and it's been handy having a kid around. There are a lot of these trucks out there and they've all got some miles on em, they'll last.

The Chevy Trailblazer wouldn't be a terrible SUV choice. Gas is bad and only go with a 2wd, but it's a solid SUV. They run a i6 motor in that typically.

[quote name='Quaker' date='14 March 2010 - 04:55 AM' timestamp='1268556911' post='870400']
A Jag? Total Ouch. No car loses more value when it drives off a lot. Stay away from these beasts. A good chance you may end up regretting it. Repair bills are out the roof with one of these. All name, other than that, lots of junk.

Camry running again after Trans Fluid change? Very odd. Fluid exchanges don't normally get cars to start back up. Toyota is known for hot transmissions and burning the shit outta the fluid.

Toyota is a decent selection, but look for something early 2000s. Toyota's qualty has gone down a little though in the recent years as evidenced by the gas pedal situation, but there are other things as well. Especially their newer Camry's. Toyota makes a badass 4runner though. Not only do they look nice, but it's a nice vehicle overall.

The HHR...Is a cobalt. So is a Saturn Ion. I'd drive a Colbalt, neither one of the other 2.

Scion TC is the new Celica. Was always marketed towards the younger crowd.

Stay away from Ford Tarus. Junk. Coolings system problems, trans problems, they like to blow tie rods and wheel linkages.

Honda Element is ok. I like it more than Scion X_ stuff. Know a guy who has almost 500,000 miles on an element. Pretty much drives it all day long, every day.

We have 2 cars.
1. Suzuki Reno. I like our "little" car but this seems to have been kind of a either you got a good one, or a bad one. 68K into a Reno and we haven't had any major issues yet. (Crosses fingers). Was pretty much an impulse new car purchase for a young couple, go home in this nice new car, or that pices of shit in the parking lot. Thank god we got a decent one....She mainly drives

2. I typically drive my 01 Blazer. The 4.3L V6 from Chevy has been a very solid motor over time, they do have their issues though. We don't rely on it much, it's mainly our back and forth to work vehicle and it's been handy having a kid around. There are a lot of these trucks out there and they've all got some miles on em, they'll last.

The Chevy Trailblazer wouldn't be a terrible SUV choice. Gas is bad and only go with a 2wd, but it's a solid SUV. They run a i6 motor in that typically.
[/quote]
500,000 on a Element? That's insane.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='10 March 2010 - 08:25 PM' timestamp='1268267126' post='869391']
Ah, my bad. I always instantly assume when people are doing rebuilds that they are getting a new motor and tranny. Or at least a rebuilt one.
[/quote]

Just went tonight and bought an entire 2003 S-10 rolling chassis that has 40,000 miles on it...includes brakes and all brake lines, steering components, steering box, rear axle, springs, tilt steering column, etc. etc. for $300...I won't have to do anything but clean the surface rust off, paint it, and fit the body to it. I figured building the 80's frame up from pretty much nothing would take me at least a month, but now I don't have to worry about it. Hopefully will have all the body panels attached by May? We'll see...Color me excited :gayfight2:

I'll create a new thread when I start making progress. Sorry for hogging your thread WDF, but it's obvious you're not buying a new car...

I still miss my '90 S-10 Tahoe. I put 187,000 miles on that thing and never touched the engine aside from replacing the spark plugs.

Once.

If I hadn't wrecked it (not my fault) I might still be driving it. Most dependable vehicle I ever owned...

Archived