Mock - My Shot

Now that the Pro Days are pretty much over, and the size and speed myths have been unmasked, here's my shot, for what little it's worth. For several picks, I've provided a 2nd choice at the same position.

1 - Brandon Graham, DE/LB, Michigan (2nd Choice: Sergio Kindle, DE/LB, Texas)
During the off-season, he's shown the foot speed and movement skills to be able to play OLB, where he would be great as a blitzer, and he's someone who can line up with his hand on the ground, too. I just love his effort, and big-play capability, especially in clutch situations (not that Michigan had a lot of them!). He's a leader, too. I would think he'd make a great strong-side LB, playing over the TE. I could see Kindle getting a lot of consideration, although he's a bit of a knucklehead. Kindle actually has more experience playing in space, but I'd still go with Graham. Either one can bring pressure, and the Bengals have expressed the need for that.

2. Rodger Saffold, OL, Indiana (2nd Choice: Jon Asamoah, G, Illinois)
4-year starter at T, but he's strong as well as really athletic, so he can play inside. Very smart kid, reportedly. I'm not sold on the Bengals' inside guys, with Bobbie getting old, and Mathis/Livings rotating. They could swing Whitworth inside if need be (I still like him at LT). An alternate choice would be Jon Asamoah, who's more of a G only guy, a mauler who started for several years, and is also a smart kid and leader.

3a. Anthony McCoy, TE, USC (2nd Choice: Ed Dickson, TE, Oregon)
One of the more complete TEs coming out, can block and catch. Very athletic big guy.

3b. Blair White, WR, Michigan State (2nd Choice: Jordan Shipley, WR/KR, Texas)
A guy who's made it the hard way, and really came on as a senior. Clutch player. Just seems to have "it" and has good size, and was running sub-4.5s in the off-season, with 3-cone and shuttle times in the very top-end. He'd be a really useful player - good ST guy, too. Very smart. I would strongly consider Jordan Shipley as well, whom I've always liked. Very versatile guy, but I took White because he brings more speed.

4a. Robert Johnson, S, Utah (2nd Choice: TJ Ward, S, Oregon)
Great ball skills (13 INTs), good size at 6-2, 210. Utah has had some solid defensive players coming out recently, including a safety that I really liked, Eric Weddle, who has become a very solid S for San Diego.

4b. Clifton Geathers, DE, South Carolina (2nd Choice: D'Anthony Smith, DE/DT, Louisiana Tech)
A boom or bust type, but given the Robert is already a Bengal, he could help. Even though Clifton is a lot bigger, they've got similar backgrounds, in that neither one was a great college player, but both have a lot of athletic ability. It's hard to overlook at 6-8 guy who can move like he does. Smith I've only seen at the Sr. Bowl, and he looked good, although he didn't dominate at La Tech.

5. Pat Angerer, ILB, Iowa
I've always liked him, and Iowa defenders in general. Not ideal size, but can run, is smart, tough, and is a very good pass defender for a LB'er. Initially, would be a good ST player and backup LB who can play in sub packages as a pass defender.

6. Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State
Not a great QB by any means, but he could be a pretty good NFL backup. Not a gun for an arm, but he's a good athlete who has good touch and accuracy. I'm not sold on the Bengals' backup QBs, so would like to see someone drafted to get into the mix.

7. John Conner, FB, Kentucky
Good size, battering ram-type lead blocker who's a pretty good runner who can catch as well. Has a lot of playing experience at KY. Depending on what happens with Jeremi Johnson, Conner might be a PS candidate like Fui was, who can work his way onto the roster.

[quote name='texbengal' date='10 April 2010 - 11:25 AM' timestamp='1270913155' post='876543']
Now that the Pro Days are pretty much over, and the size and speed myths have been unmasked, here's my shot, for what little it's worth. For several picks, I've provided a 2nd choice at the same position.

1 - Brandon Graham, DE/LB, Michigan (2nd Choice: Sergio Kindle, DE/LB, Texas)
During the off-season, he's shown the foot speed and movement skills to be able to play OLB, where he would be great as a blitzer, and he's someone who can line up with his hand on the ground, too. I just love his effort, and big-play capability, especially in clutch situations (not that Michigan had a lot of them!). He's a leader, too. I would think he'd make a great strong-side LB, playing over the TE. I could see Kindle getting a lot of consideration, although he's a bit of a knucklehead. Kindle actually has more experience playing in space, but I'd still go with Graham. Either one can bring pressure, and the Bengals have expressed the need for that.

2. Rodger Saffold, OL, Indiana (2nd Choice: Jon Asamoah, G, Illinois)
4-year starter at T, but he's strong as well as really athletic, so he can play inside. Very smart kid, reportedly. I'm not sold on the Bengals' inside guys, with Bobbie getting old, and Mathis/Livings rotating. They could swing Whitworth inside if need be (I still like him at LT). An alternate choice would be Jon Asamoah, who's more of a G only guy, a mauler who started for several years, and is also a smart kid and leader.

3a. Anthony McCoy, TE, USC (2nd Choice: Ed Dickson, TE, Oregon)
One of the more complete TEs coming out, can block and catch. Very athletic big guy.

3b. Blair White, WR, Michigan State (2nd Choice: Jordan Shipley, WR/KR, Texas)
A guy who's made it the hard way, and really came on as a senior. Clutch player. Just seems to have "it" and has good size, and was running sub-4.5s in the off-season, with 3-cone and shuttle times in the very top-end. He'd be a really useful player - good ST guy, too. Very smart. I would strongly consider Jordan Shipley as well, whom I've always liked. Very versatile guy, but I took White because he brings more speed.

4a. Robert Johnson, S, Utah (2nd Choice: TJ Ward, S, Oregon)
Great ball skills (13 INTs), good size at 6-2, 210. Utah has had some solid defensive players coming out recently, including a safety that I really liked, Eric Weddle, who has become a very solid S for San Diego.

4b. Clifton Geathers, DE, South Carolina (2nd Choice: D'Anthony Smith, DE/DT, Louisiana Tech)
A boom or bust type, but given the Robert is already a Bengal, he could help. Even though Clifton is a lot bigger, they've got similar backgrounds, in that neither one was a great college player, but both have a lot of athletic ability. It's hard to overlook at 6-8 guy who can move like he does. Smith I've only seen at the Sr. Bowl, and he looked good, although he didn't dominate at La Tech.

5. Pat Angerer, ILB, Iowa
I've always liked him, and Iowa defenders in general. Not ideal size, but can run, is smart, tough, and is a very good pass defender for a LB'er. Initially, would be a good ST player and backup LB who can play in sub packages as a pass defender.

6. Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State
Not a great QB by any means, but he could be a pretty good NFL backup. Not a gun for an arm, but he's a good athlete who has good touch and accuracy. I'm not sold on the Bengals' backup QBs, so would like to see someone drafted to get into the mix.

7. John Conner, FB, Kentucky
Good size, battering ram-type lead blocker who's a pretty good runner who can catch as well. Has a lot of playing experience at KY. Depending on what happens with Jeremi Johnson, Conner might be a PS candidate like Fui was, who can work his way onto the roster.
[/quote]

Cant complain about this. I dont really like Blair White in the 3rd, but still pretty good draft. I really like your later picks with Angerer, and Robinson. Zac Robinson is going to be a good QB if he ever gets a shot in the NFL.

Needs a CB with our second third round pick instead of a WR.

Other than that I really like the first 6 picks. And after that who really cares? Although I think we will take RB in the later rounds to stash on the practice squad since this is the last year of Benson's contract.

Archived